The Rumour Thread

Yeah, that's a surprise he doesn't have the Wizard ability.

Warlock engineers losing the ability to cast spells is a bit of a headscratcher, albeit it does enhance the focus on the 'engineer' part. Will arch-warlocks still be wizards?

1 hour ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

My point is that it would have been far cooler for him to have been a permanent part of the range - a la gotrek. Such a cool model, and would have loved to have seen him on the table regularly.

True, It would be cool if he stayed a permanent addition.

6 minutes ago, pitzok said:

True, It would be cool if he stayed a permanent addition.

Maybe later on they'll release a model for him with normal rules. I can definitely see him working in the Regiment of Renown system along with some KO and FS infantry, if they decide keep that system around for 4th.

1 minute ago, Sabush said:

Can someone please say I've misunderstood the Guarded Hero rule.
As I understand it:

image.png.06b71244d9b7093d974a00ce06a15d84.png

image.png.26547ee67cf6a72788443a0727dbe5ad.png

If I remember correctly Look Out Sir was subject to a multitude of erratas in 40k because of all the weird interactions like this. 

3 minutes ago, Sabush said:

As I understand it:

This is definitely not the intended way to use it, but it looks like it's possible with how it's currently worded. Which is a shame, because I really like the concise wording of everything we've seen so far for 4th.

They have to be an Infantry hero for the unit not to be able to shoot them but yes, I think k that's accurate based on the rules we've seen which, crucially, are obviously just a very limited slice.

That said, I don't think it's a problem. 40k ran into issues because of some weird rules interactions and because you had units like battleship commanders and primarchs being untargetable, which won't be the case here by the look of it.

4 minutes ago, Sabush said:

As I understand it:

Yes that's how it seems to work. Don't think of it like they are static but ducking around the terrain and jumping out and yelling "shoot me" before jumping back :D

It'll probably be FAQed though!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Snarff said:

This is definitely not the intended way to use it, but it looks like it's possible with how it's currently worded. Which is a shame, because I really like the concise wording of everything we've seen so far for 4th.

I don't see anything wrong. It is working like the last change this edition but being a big infantry unit like a Dankhold is not a shame.

9 minutes ago, Sabush said:

As I understand it:

The hero has to be three inches from the friendly unit. In your second picture the hero is too far away so it can be shot. 

Also I think three inches is supposed to represent diving in front of the bullet range. So even in 'real' life this would work. If someone is behind a building and their boss is in the open and they hear  a shot,   they could jump out and push their  boss out of the way. 

Edited by Chikout

Yeah, it's exactly the same Look Out Sir rule that's been in AoS for, like, a year and change?  Personally I feel not being able to target out support pieces is a kinda bad ruling, so I was hoping they'd change it, but I guess they figured there's no need to fix it if it ain't broke.

1 minute ago, Lucentia said:

Yeah, it's exactly the same Look Out Sir rule that's been in AoS for, like, a year and change?  Personally I feel not being able to target out support pieces is a kinda bad ruling, so I was hoping they'd change it, but I guess they figured there's no need to fix it if it ain't broke.

I think this is a great way of tackling it. With heroes like the Warlock engineer you can now target out protected heroes explicitly, but you can't make a shooting heavy list and just kill all enemy heroes buffing units before those units even come close to combat.

It's extremely frustrated to play an army like FS and your heroes positioned carefully to buff your infantry just get sniped out before any of them get a chance to be in combat range. There's just no real counterplay to that besides not bringing any heroes.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Better for Dispossessed, Fyreslayers and Kharadrons!

I agree! Gives some weight to my hopes that Gholemkind may hit the tabletop eventually! 

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

It is definitely the best way to handle models which won't always be available (otherwise you'd get 'Pay to Win' situations very fast) but I don't think that's the main point people are disappointed about.

It's disappointing that Grombrindal has been built up in AoS so much recently (2 White Dwarf short stories series, one of which was novelized with a bigger story alongside it, a new design, a role in Broken Realms, an appearance in a Gotrek book, etc.) and that there's finally an AoS model for him, and then they make it limited edition.

They could've easily done something like they did with Gotrek. Multi-faction, still with rules, great model to paint and show off too. But this just goes on the pile of limited one-off models they've released recently. Especially in terms of Duardin models we've had four limited ones in the past couple of years. (Jakkob Bugmansson, Torrk Lenssen, Brakki of the Gilded Key and now Grombrindal) Torrk and Brakki should definitely also be sold as Admiral and Runesmiter respectively, they're much newer designs.

That's the same number of limited Duardin models as non-limited ones in the same timespan (3: Auric Flamekeeper, Grimhold Exile, Endrinmaster in Dirigible suit and Drekki Flynt) which is ridiculous and a bit of an insult to Duardin players.

I almost wish they wouldn't have given him specific rules at all in this case, and released him purely as a hobbyist item. 

He is very pretty, makes sense to be limited edition, but getting hit with "get-you-by" rules after so much buildup does sort of feel silly. I get that having two "cross-faction dwarf hero fighters" might seem a bit redundant, and I have wondered for awhile why Gotrek was placed into that role instead of Grombrindal, when it's been Grombrindal's thing for a very long time. 

For what it's worth, it looks like Grombrindal is on a similarly sized/height base as Gotrek, so he does have a counts-as opportunity if you wanted to build a project around him for a GW game. Grombrindal is also a rare case of a character who you could probably use as any dwarf character with some light customization and it'd be in line with how he acts when he isn't projecting his god-aura and making himself thirty feet tall

I suppose it speaks to a desire within GW to keep Grombrindal on the sidelines and margins instead of becoming a "face character" in AoS. Maybe, then, he'll pop up in TOW too! Maybe TOW is why he isn't getting a permanent AoS spot... 

Regardless, his being a solo limited edition mini with legends rules suggests, unless they do something substantially different with him in AoS as to make him unrecognizable, flags (to me) that he will not be leading a duardin soup nor will he be leading a "new" dwarf faction. Maybe the dispossessed will stick with Cities? Maybe Fyerslayers will gain a heavily-armored troop option instead? I feel like Gholemkin is more likely than a "combined" duardin army now, in any case.

Which is great, as far as im concerned! I'd like to see more dwarfs, not less!

6 minutes ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

image.png.b4446afe5612261027d7c06478634593.png

Clan keywords still there. Nice to have confirmed. Hope is not lost for runners!

Yeah. Now we need confirmation from those clans suffering the bigger trims. Eshin and Pestilens.

• Sad 1

Just now, Snarff said:

I think this is a great way of tackling it. With heroes like the Warlock engineer you can now target out protected heroes explicitly, but you can't make a shooting heavy list and just kill all enemy heroes buffing units before those units even come close to combat.

It's extremely frustrated to play an army like FS and your heroes positioned carefully to buff your infantry just get sniped out before any of them get a chance to be in combat range. There's just no real counterplay to that besides not bringing any heroes.

I am hoping that the Fusil-Major gets a similar rule. Being a sniper should be niche in AoS for ranged units, so that they can be worthwhile without being able to point-and-click whole infantry blocks.

5 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I am hoping that the Fusil-Major gets a similar rule. Being a sniper should be niche in AoS for ranged units, so that they can be worthwhile without being able to point-and-click whole infantry blocks.

Yeah! Well thought. Will be nice to see them in the tables.

46 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

A "reaction text" that long in that small textbox is a disaster as any design level. I am really worried about that thing.

43 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Idk why they didn't put "hasn't moved this turn" I thought setting a unit up made it count as moving that turn already 

Yeah, That could be worder a lot shorter. For people who their English is not very good, it makes it harder to understan. "Hasn't moved this turn" would be much better. As everything that comes in play count as moved or atleast now.

Yes, that drawing is correct. Now make the engineer the red circle, drop your cheapest unit behind a LOS blocking terrain piece and your engineer can fire away (24"!) without being targetted by shooting. 

I fear that Guarded hero is such a general term, it only speaks about shooting attacks, that maybe nothing is done to provide melee heroes a bit of extra protection.

26 minutes ago, Sabush said:

As I understand it:

Edited by Tonhel