The Rumour Thread

15 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Legends rules have an image problem.

Or GW is not creating any incentive for people to play Legends, by making half-baked legends-rules for models and armies.

I mean those are mostly either completely underpowered in terms of armies or sometimes overpowered especially when for single models.

Also most are just plain boring!!! And they rarely get adjusted.......

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

until the end of whatever edition they're published in, at which point they stop being playable even for casual & narrative due to not being updated to work with the current ruleset.  Every previous legends scroll will still have bravery instead of control, for instance, and many already have rules text that makes no sense in 3rd edition, let alone 4th.  The stuff going into legends in 4th will be relatively playable until 5th (unless their legends scroll has some unit breaking typo in it that never gets fixed), at which point they'll not really be playable anymore.

It's not the end of the world, there's always homebrew, but I don't think there's any spin or purely perception based change that will fix why most players don't care for legends rules and consider their units being shifted to legends the same as if they were removed outright.

The perception change I am talking about is that at time of release, legends rules are just as good as non-legends rules (for non-tournament play). Putting a model's rules directly into Legends tells you what to expect: You can play this unit for now, but don't count on them being a permanent fixture in the game. This is 100% the best way to handle limited edition and side game models.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sception said:

until the end of whatever edition they're published in, at which point they stop being playable even for casual & narrative due to not being updated to work with the current ruleset.  Every previous legends scroll will still have bravery instead of control, for instance, and many already have rules text that makes no sense in 3rd edition, let alone 4th.  The stuff going into legends in 4th will be relatively playable until 5th (unless their legends scroll has some unit breaking typo in it that never gets fixed), at which point they'll not really be playable anymore.

It's not the end of the world, there's always homebrew, but I don't think there's any spin or purely perception based change that will fix why most players don't care for legends rules and consider their units being shifted to legends the same as if they were removed outright.

Yeah, very unfortunate release timing. Just a couple of months more and it could be played for 3 years...

13 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I hope the model won't come together with WD500. I want both the model and the WD issue. A limited time period to order the model + WD500 separately makes it much more likely that both will stay in stock long enough to purchase.

If they're tied together the magazine is going to be scalped for the model. There's also no way anymore to subscribe to get a guaranteed copy of the issue.

Was somewhere confirmed that the magazine will have more content than it is usually?

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The perception change I am talking about is that at time of release, legends rules are just as good as non-legends rules (for non-tournament play). Putting a model's rules directly into Legends tells you what to expect: You can play this unit for now, but don't count on them being a permanent fixture in the game. This is 100% the best way to handle limited edition and side game models.

It is definitely the best way to handle models which won't always be available (otherwise you'd get 'Pay to Win' situations very fast) but I don't think that's the main point people are disappointed about.

It's disappointing that Grombrindal has been built up in AoS so much recently (2 White Dwarf short stories series, one of which was novelized with a bigger story alongside it, a new design, a role in Broken Realms, an appearance in a Gotrek book, etc.) and that there's finally an AoS model for him, and then they make it limited edition.

They could've easily done something like they did with Gotrek. Multi-faction, still with rules, great model to paint and show off too. But this just goes on the pile of limited one-off models they've released recently. Especially in terms of Duardin models we've had four limited ones in the past couple of years. (Jakkob Bugmansson, Torrk Lenssen, Brakki of the Gilded Key and now Grombrindal) Torrk and Brakki should definitely also be sold as Admiral and Runesmiter respectively, they're much newer designs.

That's the same number of limited Duardin models as non-limited ones in the same timespan (3: Auric Flamekeeper, Grimhold Exile, Endrinmaster in Dirigible suit and Drekki Flynt) which is ridiculous and a bit of an insult to Duardin players.

Edited by Snarff
Forgot Drekki, shame on me, love Drekki
  • Like 2

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Was somewhere confirmed that the magazine will have more content than it is usually?

It's a 192 page edition, so there's definitely some more content in there. Most likely some Duardin themed content for AoS as well, and I imagine Grombrindals rules will come with WD500 just like Gotreks warcry rules did.

1 hour ago, pitzok said:

It's a limited comemorative miniature, they never get non-legends rules.

My point is that it would have been far cooler for him to have been a permanent part of the range - a la gotrek. Such a cool model, and would have loved to have seen him on the table regularly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Snarff said:

It's a 192 page edition, so there's definitely some more content in there. Most likely some Duardin themed content for AoS as well, and I imagine Grombrindals rules will come with WD500 just like Gotreks warcry rules did.

probably this will be my first WD purchase in more than 15 years then.

Just now, Ejecutor said:

probably this will be my first WD purchase in more than 15 years then.

It will be my second. First the FS issue in 2019, now this for the likely FS lore in it haha

4 minutes ago, Snarff said:

It is definitely the best way to handle models which won't always be available (otherwise you'd get 'Pay to Win' situations very fast) but I don't think that's the main point people are disappointed about.

It's disappointing that Grombrindal has been built up in AoS so much recently (2 White Dwarf short stories series, one of which was novelized with a bigger story alongside it, a new design, a role in Broken Realms, an appearance in a Gotrek book, etc.) and that there's finally an AoS model for him, and then they make it limited edition.

They could've easily done something like they did with Gotrek. Multi-faction, still with rules, great model to paint and show off too. But this just goes on the pile of limited one-off models they've released recently. Especially in terms of Duardin models we've had four in the past couple of years. (Jakkob Bugmansson, Torrk Lenssen, Brakki of the Gilded Key and now Grombrindal)

It's certainly reasonable to want more dwarf action in AoS. I'd like to see that, too. But maybe 4th ed is finally the time for it:)

I stand by what I said about Legends having an image problem, though. If they had a separate category which was functionally the same, but called "Narrative rules" or whatever, I really believe people would be more accepting of it.

29 minutes ago, michu said:

That absolutely was Grombrindal 

PXL_20240422_130502893.jpg.7a09bde2b9f6b7596bf465fb7a247e5e.jpg

This is from the Custodes core book. Of course as we know all GW lore is flexible but I think that if GW wants to do a combined Duardin faction in the future it will be through Grungi with Grombindal relegated to black library and his own magazine. 

That said while I'm pretty confident that is what GW would do, it isn't what I would do. The Grombindal novel is my favourite AoS book so far. I love the way the character has been written in AoS and I wouldn't complain at all if GW decided to put him in a battletome. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Now that is a cool looking rat. I like him, though I'm not sure I like how lowkey he looks - to my eye he seems more like a unit leader than a hero/character. Still, he's oozing with character and I hope that he will be one of few options we'll hopefuly have for warlock engineers

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's certainly reasonable to want more dwarf action in AoS. I'd like to see that, too. But maybe 4th ed is finally the time for it:)

I stand by what I said about Legends having an image problem, though. If they had a separate category which was functionally the same, but called "Narrative rules" or whatever, I really believe people would be more accepting of it.

I don't think Legends has an image problem as much as that legends rules aren't maintained. If Grombrindal gets a beautiful 3rd Warscroll with bravery on it, it'll be quite useless as soon as 4th hits. And if they commit to it and continuously update the rules (which they haven't before for Legends rules to my knowledge), why not just keep the model available? It's just one more model to print, they add new heroes to factions all the time.

3 minutes ago, GenericEdgyName said:

Now that is a cool looking rat. I like him, though I'm not sure I like how lowkey he looks - to my eye he seems more like a unit leader than a hero/character. Still, he's oozing with character and I hope that he will be one of few options we'll hopefuly have for warlock engineers

How can you already see the page? I only get:

Error 404 – All Records Expunged from Library

Edit: Refreshing since you posted this, it really does not appear on the WC site, not even under "all"

Edited by Son Of Morghur
  • Sad 1

Just now, Son Of Morghur said:

How can you already see the page? I only get:

Error 404 – All Records Expunged from Library

It's because there is no such thing as giant rat men. No idea why everybody is getting excited...... ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1