AOS 2 - Lethisian Defenders Discussion

JackStreicher

I think the lack of excitement for this allegiance as compared to Legion of Grief is evident in this forum.

I mean it is a little odd the command ability is ONLY for Liberators who even within their own Allegiance are having a rough time. And you can't stack it with Staunch Defender since you can't take Staunch Defender!

Too bad Dispossessed aren't included. Ironbreakers would love Warriors of the Grand Necropolis.

• Like 3

I had a small game with a friend yesturday using the legion of grief versus his lethisian alliance. The problem we found is that both stormcast and idoneth have decent battletomes and, idoneth especially, don't gain enough from LA make up for losing their normal allegiance traits. Neither of us play fireslayers, so we couldn't really comment on them, but taking KO doesn't strengthen the army at all.

It may be fun to use in casual games though, and I'm sure some good lists can be made using LA, but there isn't enough synergy to outweight the cost of losing the other battletomes allegiance abilities.

Having said that, I'm sure someone will win a tournament with them using some ridiculous combination of units that will seem super obvious once you see it on paper.

2 hours ago, Qrow said:

Having said that, I'm sure someone will win a tournament with them using some ridiculous combination of units that will seem super obvious once you see it on paper.

Thats impossible, it doesn't have phoenix guard!

No one expects phoenix guard!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Are the abilities etc. written out somewhere or in an article yet? Have the book on pre-order but not seen any details yet. 

There have been a few reviews, particularly youtube ones, that go through the contents and new allegiances in detail

On 5/22/2019 at 3:04 AM, kenshin620 said:

Too bad Dispossessed aren't included. Ironbreakers would love Warriors of the Grand Necropolis.

Agreed. Dispossessed would make this Allegiance legit.

the command trait is stupid, it should affect all units which are equipped with st least one shield...

I really want to try this in a narrative or fun game, since I have a little of everything besides KO, but on paper it doesn't look like it'll be very competitive. I do really like the idea of the coalition force for order, but if it's only in narrative I might as well run Order and get to bring in my Scourgerunners and Seraphon.

A block of hearthguard berserkers holding a spot with eels for fast movers could possibly be a nice start to the army.  I still havent seen all the rules though, not sure how to make heroes priests and I dont recall all the prayers. So it could depend on that a bit.

5 hours ago, Euphanism said:

I do really like the idea of the coalition force for order, but if it's only in narrative I might as well run Order and get to bring in my Scourgerunners and Seraphon.

Plus Order still has a plethora of Firestorm Allegiances to draw upon.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this city really so bad?? 

40 company with skyhooks and a khemist is a great shooting unit. 

That can support or kill along side a 9 man squad of morrsar guard. 

I'm considering a list something like:

Aspect of the Storm (or sea) general: priest, -1 to hit prayer, +5 bonus save. 

Khemist

Knight azyros

40x arknanaut company

5x liberator

5x liberator

6x Morrsar guard

The aspect of the storm having that -1 to hit ability almost just makes him. Better aspect of the sea because he can't be unbound. 

Main downside is the liberators lack in the punch department, but can be made quite tanky with that command ability, and potentially a lord castellant could make a big unit of liberators very tough to deal with. 

A war priest could join the list providing more healing to the aspect, and taking the heal prayer to revive your company models should they take damage. 

Could take a 2nd morrsarr squad.

I don't think its too bad. The morrsarr lose turn 2 or turn 3 (with +1atk), but i feel like morrsarr general dont need those to be successful, as thier alpha strike is what puts them on top, and they keep that with the +1 move and charge. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Any new thoughts for this allegiance based on the 2020 points drops and Kharadron changes earlier this year? For 90 points, liberators seem good vfp taking into account +1 to hit and +1 to save through a CP. Used as a screen for your more bang-for-your-buck kharadron, is the allegiance now worth using? 🤔

Don't think there are, alas.

This is definitely a niche army, but having tried them out this weekend, that near limitless option of tanky and cheap liberator walls with kharadron air support was pretty effective, even with lousy dice rolls. 10 man blob of libs for 180pts with a lord relictor stood up well to a kairos fateweaver and knight support long enough for another blob of libs with a lord celestant to finish off kairos. Casaulties were very light (5 libs slain - three of these resurrected by relictors prayer). Holding or taking objectives is pretty useful too. +1 melee hit against a counter charge and arkanauts get +1 to hit 9" from objective. Needed that with all the 2s and 1s I was getting!

Onyx shield wall was the stand out for me though. Better save than Teclis (and Kairos!), and with some buffs, libs can finally stand toe to toe with Chaos Warriors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mcthew said:

Don't think there are, alas.

This is definitely a niche army, but having tried them out this weekend, that near limitless option of tanky and cheap liberator walls with kharadron air support was pretty effective, even with lousy dice rolls. 10 man blob of libs for 180pts with a lord relictor stood up well to a kairos fateweaver and knight support long enough for another blob of libs with a lord celestant to finish off kairos. Casaulties were very light (5 libs slain - three of these resurrected by relictors prayer). Holding or taking objectives is pretty useful too. +1 melee hit against a counter charge and arkanauts get +1 to hit 9" from objective. Needed that with all the 2s and 1s I was getting!

Onyx shield wall was the stand out for me though. Better save than Teclis (and Kairos!), and with some buffs, libs can finally stand toe to toe with Chaos Warriors.

Didn't your opponent have rend ? Also, how did yo uraise 3 libs ? Even with two relictors, you could have raised 2 at max, right ?

6 hours ago, Maturin said:

Didn't your opponent have rend ? Also, how did yo uraise 3 libs ? Even with two relictors, you could have raised 2 at max, right ?

No rend from his knights nor the kairos. 3 libs raised over 2 turns (D3 wounds resurrection per turn), plus healing storm (latter is not a prayer).

44 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

No rend from his knights nor the kairos. 3 libs raised over 2 turns (D3 wounds resurrection per turn), plus healing storm (latter is not a prayer).

CAn you raise a half Lib though ? I tought that in the even you rolled a 6, you could only raise 1 lib thus making those D3 resurrections useful to 1 wound infantry only

2 hours ago, Maturin said:

CAn you raise a half Lib though ? I tought that in the even you rolled a 6, you could only raise 1 lib thus making those D3 resurrections useful to 1 wound infantry only

Reads as you can bring back D3 wounds not characteristic, so a 5 or 6 is one lib on full health, and 1 lib on 1 wound. Healing storm ability brings them to full health though.