AoS 2 - Hedonites of Slaanesh Discussion

HERO

It looks like a war alter type thing as folks have said already with an obese dude sitting in the middle with two big mutant guys pulling it with a yoke over their shoulders and a driver as well as a figure standing off to the right maybe so advisor like is on the katakros model.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BaronBanana said:

The slaanesh mortals finally show up and I can hop on the wagon.  Question for you veterans, is the KoS good?  On paper it seems ok to me, in uses to primarily playing Hallowheart and firing magic, not having awesome giant daemons

Currently the KoS is very good compared to the rest of the battletome - perhaps too good. On its own, it's warscroll is 'decent' but when combined with depravity points, the Locus of Diversion, and the fane to grant rerolls it becomes a fast, destructive hero who will summon units without breaking a sweat. This all may change in the upcoming battletome.

When we look at the weapon profiles of the Dread Pageant, its almost for shure that the new Slaangors will have the same profile 3/4/3/-2/2. So we get a hard hitting infantry!

And the Blissbarb Archers with 2/4/4/-1/1 maybe with mortal wounds on 6s would be good (not op imo) range units.

Edited by Drazhoath

8 hours ago, BaronBanana said:

The slaanesh mortals finally show up and I can hop on the wagon.  Question for you veterans, is the KoS good?  On paper it seems ok to me, in uses to primarily playing Hallowheart and firing magic, not having awesome giant daemons

His command abulity on himself and the locus of diversion is what makes him good today. He has a 66% chance of making one ennemy fight last vs 33% for all our other heroes since the last winter faq. His damage output is quite unreliable and you need to invest in artefacts/command abilities to make him reliable. You pay for a 2 spellcaster which is quite irrelevant in a world with supercasters and no ability in Slaanesh to increase your casting rolls but he s still our best unit in our battletome.

The thing is this is all likely to change in a little more than a month when our new battletome drop

• Like 2

For a moment, I want to talk about the cover. This was mentioned in the rumour thread but I hope the artist who did this comes back, also GW knew what they were doing with this cover and I applaud them for being brave enough to do it. I've always been an advocate that Slaanesh is a more "adult" faction and I'm glad GW are leaning into that. 

hLgVogPikZA0nEnz.jpg

Edited by shinros
  • Like 1

Since when are p enis jokes "adult"? I'm sorry but I don't think Slaanesh has ever been an "adult" faction unless it's what a teen thinks "adult" means

Actually, leaning away from the "OMG it's Slaanesh, b oobs and blatant sexual references ftw!!!" trope makes the faction less teen cringey for me. Then that subtle cover comes to remind you there are still manchildren in the house.

Edited by Benkei
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Adammck66 said:

I was checking the Dread Paegents rules for Age of Sigmar and noticed the bow person has no melee profile, how does this work?

I imagine it's a bit of an extra just for that warscroll as it had so many melee profiles already. The 'actual' models look like they have daggers

Just throwing out some rules predictions about the new units, based off the Dread Pageant warscroll. I think unless Hellstriders regain the Battleline tag, or existing units like Fiends get a 'Battleline if xyz' tag, then at least two or three of the new units will be (un)conditional Battleline. 

Blissbarb Archers - Besides maybe run and shoot, I'm not expecting any additional rules here. Two shots each at 18" 4+ 4+ Rend -1 Damage 1 is plenty good for a light archer unit; more than capable of clearing weak chaff screens, which is really all we need. I'm guessing these will be straight Slaanesh Battleline. 

Slickblade Seekers - I'm expecting 3 Wounds each and a 4+ save given how  big and heavily armoured these look compared to Hellstriders. Their big weapons are almost certainly going to be at least Rend -1 and Damage 2, or possibly Damage 1 with charge bonuses. I have a feeling they will be a bit slower than normal Seekers - maybe a 12" Move instead of 14" - but with the trade-off of the Steeds having a better profile (3+ to-wound seems a safe bet.) If Hellstriders don't get their Battleline tag back, I can't see the more elite equivalent getting it either. 

Myrmidesh - Unless Vasillac is the exception, 3 Wounds each and a 4+ save looks pretty certain based on the Dread Pageant warscroll. I'm guessing they will have a 5+ or even 4+ after-save for the combat phase only; basically the Chaos equivalent of Hearthguard Berzerkers, but more vulnerable to shooting as is the Slaaneshi way. At a guess, Sigvald will unlock them as Battleline. 

Twinsouls - Where Myrmidesh will be the (still scary) anvil, these will be the hammer. I'm betting on lots of attacks with some Rend, no after-save but probably some variation of 'mortal wounds on 6s to wound'. 

Sigvald - His rules are almost certainly going to closely resemble the current Daemon Prince warscroll, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him share that "always fights first" rule. Beef up the combat stats for Sliverslash, chuck on an after-save for the shield, and add a Sybarite-centric command ability and I don't think you'd be far off what he'll end up being. In fact, I'm predicting they might decouple Keepers from the Sybarites by making its command ability work specifically on Hedonite Daemons, and Sigvald or the other new character could have a version that works on Hedonite Sybarites. Currently, the Keeper is both Slaanesh' best synergy piece and bruiser, and that shouldn't remain the case with all the new mortal units and heroes arriving. 

These seem like pretty safe predictions to me, but it will be interesting to see how many I get wrong 😁

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Benkei said:

Since when are p enis jokes "adult"? I'm sorry but I don't think Slaanesh has ever been an "adult" faction unless it's what a teen thinks "adult" means

Actually, leaning away from the "OMG it's Slaanesh, b oobs and blatant sexual references ftw!!!" trope makes the faction less teen cringey for me. Then that subtle cover comes to remind you there are still manchildren in the house.

I disagree because here's why, you can view it as a joke and I'm not going to begrudge anyone that. But sex is part of the faction, part of slaanesh domain is literally called Carnality. In the current battletome, there is clear sexual imagery when they show you the realm and even the daemons trying to move away from a legitimate part of it in my eyes is weakness. Trying to get rid of it? Is cowardly. I'm glad GW did not get cold feet around that aspect, now I don't know how parents feel about this or their views, but if I was a parent, slaanesh would be the last thing I get for my kid. Considering the imagery and themes present. 

5XmbxUM.png

npNYoho.png

slaanesh4.jpg

I'm also glad that the body horror aspects are clearly on display as well, you also see that on the front cover of the battletome. At the same time the palanquin lord is well endowed in terms of his stomach. I wanted a gluttony lord for years. In the end you can think they are manchildren and I doubt I will convince you otherwise but leaning into that imagery, and the designs of the models both male and female show me that the people working on the faction are not afraid to explore one of the clear and obvious aspects of Slaanesh.  They also care about delivering the faction to me, as someone who has been waiting years. I'm happy with what they have done. In the end you can think they're cringe teenagers and the like, I see the opposite. 

SlaaneshMinis-Apr26-Notes20yjcw-.jpg

Edited by shinros
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, shinros said:

I disagree because here's why, you can view it as a joke and I'm not going to begrudge anyone that. But sex is part of the faction, part of slaanesh domain is literally called Carnality. In the current battletome, there is clear sexual imagery when they show you the realm and even the daemons trying to move away from a legitimate part of it in my eyes is weakness. Trying to get rid of it? Is cowardly. I'm glad GW did not get cold feet around that aspect, now I don't know how parents feel about this or their views, but if I was a parent, slaanesh would be the last thing I get for my kid. Considering the imagery and themes present. 

5XmbxUM.png

npNYoho.png

slaanesh4.jpg

I'm also glad that the body horror aspects are clearly on display as well, you also see that on the front cover of the battletome. At the same time the palanquin lord is well endowed in terms of his stomach. I wanted a gluttony lord for years. In the end you can think they are manchildren and I doubt I will convince you otherwise but leaning into that imagery, and the designs of the models both male and female show me that the people working on the faction are not afraid to explore one of the clear and obvious aspects of Slaanesh.  They also care about delivering the faction to me, as someone who has been waiting years. I'm happy with what they have done. In the end you can think they're cringe teenagers and the like, I see the opposite. 

SlaaneshMinis-Apr26-Notes20yjcw-.jpg

I agree with you’re conclusions, and what I really like about the new Slaanesh range is the balance between sexuality and depravity that the design team was able to achieve. It isn’t overly sexualized/deprived to the point where it’s very much overly R rated or edgy; they were able to strike a healthy balance. For a while I heard rumors that the design team was struggling to reinvent the new Slaanesh range because they wanted to keep it somewhat friendly, and I’m happy the time they spent into the redesigns seems to have worked out without removing the key themes of Slaanesh. 

To me, GW also probably borrowed some design and art features from the movie 300; the new Slaanesh mortals look like something straight from the Persian armies. When the Syll’Esske model was released, it immediately reminded me of King Xerxes; seems the rest of the mortal units have also taken inspiration from these themes. 

9902E5FA-1303-4BD6-8A71-65796ECA69BD.jpeg

4BC87FAE-7970-45A2-BD4D-BAD033B81A09.jpeg

• Like 4

Huh. I didn't even realize there was something suggestive about the cover. I was just stoked that the art is great.

I'm glad GW is drawing more attention to Slaanesh as a force of obsession.  A set of small blurbs from Black Crusade's Tome of Excess always stuck with me, wherein a Lord Governor devolves into cannibalism seeking the perfect flavor in his meals.  I'm always disappointed when I see Slaanesh reduced to just carnality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Huh. I didn't even realize there was something suggestive about the cover. I was just stoked that the art is great.

There really isn‘t. Some oversensitive people interpret the club as a p enis though it‘s held at the wrong height. So just let them talk 🤷🏼‍♂️

The cover art is exceptionally great and there is nothing cringy about it except some people‘s reactions. =}

I am all around happy about the models so far, I hope my S2D (MAMMOTH!) will make a nice addition :)

Edit: I guess what hooked me the most are the new Seeker units: The mounts and poses are amazing (as is the red colorscheme) :D

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Edit: I guess what hooked me the most are the new Seeker units: The mounts and poses are amazing (as is the red colorscheme) :D

I'm thrilled by the steed that has it's mouth open. It looks so great! It's also great to see some of these Hedonites are sensible enough to armor up their mounts' chests.

I'm over the moon with these reveals. I just need to lock down a color scheme and I'm good.  Come on, February!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I'm thrilled by the steed that has it's mouth open. It looks so great! It's also great to see some of these Hedonites are sensible enough to armor up their mounts' chests.

I'm over the moon with these reveals. I just need to lock down a color scheme and I'm good.  Come on, February!

I agree, it’s a small detail really but the fact it has an open mouth brings brand new personality to the steeds for me. Have we ever seen them with open mouths in art.

I’m also trying to think of a scheme but I honestly love the purple. I was thinking of potentially sort of gold silk, with dark skin tones though. I don’t think I’ve seen metallic paints for fabrics before but I think it could work well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

There really isn‘t. Some oversensitive people interpret the club as a p enis though it‘s held at the wrong height. So just let them talk 🤷🏼‍♂️

No way? Where is this discussion ? I need to see it. 
And I thought 2020 had it all 🤷‍♂️ 

My point precisely is sex and sensuality = p enises and b oobs is a teen's point of view. I like all the new models as opposed to the pretty obvious old ones, that's why I think the cover is just a bad joke, it has nothing to do with being "oversensitive", so please come down off your high horse and your "how brave GW is by showing b oobs". You'll notice the new models are much more subtle, which makes them much more elegant, as Slaanesh should be.

Not liking a crudish and childish depiction of sexuality has nothing to do with being a puritan. 

Edited by Benkei
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Benkei said:

think the cover is just a bad joke, it has nothing to do with being "oversensitive", so please come down off your high Exalted Seeker

Fixed that for you :D

if you are not one of the camp „that club is a Fallus“ you should not feel addressed at all :)

What I like about the new design is, that it is revealing the shape of the body very well, while remaining stylish and that the design does not make a distinction between male and female clothes. Very interesting concept. I also like the Arabian/Persian vibe that is turned up to eleven.

The Seeker Steeds are my favorite since they look somewhat aquatic, yet strange, sly and strong all at the same time.

I am not a fan of the Slaangor Champion though. I‘ve still got Hobby PTSD from the Lumineth Cows 🤣

• Like 1