Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowSwordmaster

The Problem of the Free Peoples and the Freeguilds in Age of Sigmar

16 hours ago, Not-not-kenny said:

The only kit I will be real upset if it gets discontinued is the freeguild archers and I haven't seen them in any pictures from the event yet which concerns me

I'm more concerned that the guy who is writing it wrote the Beasts of Chaos book.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:23 AM, Sete said:

I think you are mistaken.

Im not asking for super powered soldiers.

Im asking as an example, for a regular human army from azyr with shared visual elements with Stormcast (because it makes sense) where the only "Super Powered" dudes like warrior priests can invole the power of sigmar. Not asking for Thor.

I gave an example of an army of azyr, but whatever city or realms fits your fancy really. As long as its new.

I think they need their own identity. The stormcast sigmarine look is just awful. I love the old empire models. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I think they need their own identity. The stormcast sigmarine look is just awful. I love the old empire models. 

Like you said, the old. 

Even if they remained with the same look, crisp new models are needed.

3 minutes ago, Sete said:

Like you said, the old. 

Agreed. Just not like stormcast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Agreed. Just not like stormcast. 

Let's agree to disagree.

If you have 2 factions from the same place with a completely different look and theme, things will look weird and out of place.

Like I said, I gave azyr as an example. People get too rustled.

Edited by Sete
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sete said:

Like you said, the old. 

Well many armies need a revamp.

So I guess it’s best to wait and hope, since it looks like that the book probably won’t be bringing any new models to the range.

although I might be wrong and probably will be very jealous, since the skaven are as well in dire need.

although I’d be happy if they changed some of the free peoples esthetic, I’ll be hoping that the theme of the free people what was it 17th century something, stay as they are.

Just now, Sete said:

Let's agree to disagree.

If you make them too close to sigmarines then they haven't got their own identity. Im cool with new weapons and what not i just think its a dangerous game if they go to the effort of new models basing them off SCE. Some will like it, some wont.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Saxon said:

If you make them too close to sigmarines then they haven't got their own identity. Im cool with new weapons and what not i just think its a dangerous game if they go to the effort of new models basing them off SCE. Some will like it, some wont.

And if you want them too far off, like historical 17th century, they will feel out of place. A mix of themes, making something new, yet familiar would be the best choice.

I like great swords, but they do need a bit of Fantasy on them, or else we might just play pike and shot.

Edited by Sete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The freeguild should have a Greco-Roman theme or flare to them. They should not look like Renaissance Era German soldiers. 

I mean look at the architecture of the cities of Sigmar, their obviously Greco-Roman themed. The old Empire models are out of place. They should have a new aesthetic, they deserve new models and a revamp. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sete said:

And if you want them too far off, like historical 17th century, they will feel out of place. A mix of themes, making something new, yet familiar would be the best choice.

I like great swords, but they do need a bit of Fantasy on them, or else we might just play pike and shot.

Agreed.

The point of the mortal realms is that anything and everything is possible. Freeguild from the main cities will look like old Empire, likely because that's how Sigmar remembers them to be.

Anyway, it's established that the aesthetic is staying and nothing is going to change that. I think this discussion is over.

• Like 2

At the end of the day the best thing about this hobby is that if you have a vision for how your dudes/dudettes look, and you want to follow your own crazy ideas, which imo Freeguild/people/cities is PERFECT for, then it’s all embracing and in fact the crazier your ideas the more likely to held up as exemplars of the craft.

I mean of course it helps if you’ve got some mad skillz but COME ON just look at these absolute beauties!

Edited by JPjr

For some conversions, I’d source middle earth sbg models. There’s a strong diversity of humans there that can be plugged into a bit more of a generic high fantasy than renaissance landshnecks

5 hours ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

The point of the mortal realms is that anything and everything is possible. Freeguild from the main cities will look like old Empire, likely because that's how Sigmar remembers them to be.

Anyway, it's established that the aesthetic is staying and nothing is going to change that. I think this discussion is over.

Its established by whom? you?  Its established until a new release hits. you are in for a rude awakening if you think the Empire look is permanent.

I do like the anything and everything is possible but lets keep it the same answer you have. Its so contradictory its funny.

Edited by Sete

1 minute ago, Sete said:

Its established by whom? you?  Its established until a new release hits. you are in for a rude awakening if you think the Empire look is permanent.

image.png.700bc2bb4041a51fb7a8e8da56b4de56.png

Are you joking, or have you just not seen this?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

People arguing about Renaissance vs. Classical human aesthetics are missing the true potential of this book:

latest?cb=20170426011106

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

I'm more concerned that the guy who is writing it wrote the Beasts of Chaos book.

Lore or rules?

I have some mixed feelings about the battletome.

It is nice to see that most of the forgotten factions get some sort of update (the wording of the old warscrolls is partly off, since the game evolved).

I still have to see how the discontinue of models will bite me.

I mean, my Tribesmen (that doesn't use an Fanmade battletome at the moment are mostly based on Freeguild + some other units):

• Freeguild General (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Battlemage (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Archers
  • Freeguild Greatswords
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Archmage (for a mounted model)
  • Reavers

The candicate that could most likely fall out are the reavers, because like the Plaguewind Mortar the models were only sold with the Spire of Dawn Box.

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:
  • Freeguild General (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Battlemage (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Archers
  • Freeguild Greatswords
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Archmage (for a mounted model)
  • Reavers

The candicate that could most likely fall out are the reavers, because like the Plaguewind Mortar the models were only sold with the Spire of Dawn Box. 

Archmage got a mounted model on the box. It contains one on horse and one on foot. They need diferences since using the one on foot have no advantage.

Not only Reavers are exclusive from Spire of Dawn i am afraid. Seaguard, High Warden and Plastic Swordmasters are also only sold on that box 😥

11 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Archmage got a mounted model on the box. It contains one on horse and one on foot. They need diferences since using the one on foot have no advantage.

Not only Reavers are exclusive from Spire of Dawn i am afraid. Seaguard, High Warden and Plastic Swordmasters are also only sold on that box 😥

I know that the Archmage has two versions, one of them with a mount. The only point why I have the Archmage in my list is because there is no mounted Battlemage on Horse (only the Griffon) and I wanted a mounted mage for a fully mounted army.

Swordmasters still have the resinmodels without command.

18 hours ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

image.png.700bc2bb4041a51fb7a8e8da56b4de56.png

That little hat, those feathers and the flaps on the pantaloons made me happier than any warcry necromunda kill team they could have released.

Granted, it's the happiness one feels when your kidnapper allows you to see sunlight for the first time in months... but it's a form of happiness nonetheless. I don't think we'll see new Freeguild models anytime soon, but a man can dream about some motherlocking Imperial cavalry. Come on, even the Bretonnian line had better horses!

EDIT: In all seriousness, like some people have said, this cover seem aimed very clearly at people who are nostalgic of the Empire and want Empire 2.0. If there were serious plans about changing the Freeguild aesthetic to something more classical or steampunk (moreso than the original Empire), then they wouldn't have commissioned art which reinforces the "Fret not, the Empire lives!" vibe.

At least, that's what I think. I'm all for a more steampunk, industrialised Empire look, like the creations and conversions by Melcavuk, but I don't think I'll see this in years.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, flemingmma said:

Lore or rules?

Rules.

He's the guy who thought tzaangor enlightened needed to be less points than minotaurs, despite being 3 times as fast

Edited by Lord marcus

1 minute ago, Lord marcus said:

Rules

No clue why, I play BoC and love the book. But I guess if your primary source of information on BoC is forums/social media you probably think the book is awful and isn't worth playing. But hey its not like a guy took 2nd with a list at Rend 4 filled with units that the majority of BoC players say are unusable. 

• Like 1

I think it more had to with not messing with enlightened as they need to be fixed with disciples of tzeentch