5kaven5lave

On 2/14/2019 at 4:44 PM, Kirjava13 said:

I'm not happy because I either have to take zero Clanrats or 60, ensuring I have to buy more than the 40 I was quite content with before in my Skryre army. I don't like it when options get taken away from me, which is what this battletome has done wrt Stormfiends, the poison wind mortar and Clanrats.

Anyway, I will say no more negative stuff for today. The book is lovely and the background is great.

What happenned to stormfiends? I got a full box waiting to be built

So, the question is: is it better to play with 3 battlelines (tax = clanrats / stormvermins) and be free to choose the skryre units or pure skryre but being doomed by battlelines choces (stormfiends and acolytes)?

BTW, how good are accolytes in units of 10  or more (5 seems really a tax to keep  the 5 poor guys neer your own zone objectives)?

11 hours ago, Zuriaxis said:

Thanks!

Thanquol is one heck of a beast, just as long as you can protect him from flanks/massed shooting attacks. I think that we'll find Warpfire/Clanrats block combo as you mentioned will be our bread and butter answer to enemy battlelines/hordes, and will because a standard catch-all for Skryre/Skaventide lists. As for Thanquol, I wouldn't quite call him a trap unit unless you're playing sub 2000; even then his spells and firepower alone is going to toast even elites.

He's definitely worth his points, but I don't know that it isn't just better to take 2-4 Warpfire Throwers instead and have plenty of points leftover for board control in Clanrats or other hammer units. A standard Grey Seer on a BW next to arcane terrain using his 3d6 rolls can get off spells just fine (like Vortex, which you will usually have Thanquol casting) and you can still give him Plague for an anti-horde spell at a fraction of the cost. I dunno, I love Thanquol so I will be using him for quite awhile, but I'm open enough to dropping him for more of something else if that yields better results overall.

10 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Anyone hoping the Warpgnaw Verminlord will get fixed? It's really expensive and somehow has less wounds than all the other verminlords. I guess its inbuilt Warpgrinder is neat and if it somehow isn't damaged then the glaive does flat 5 damage (but starts dropping after the 1st wound). Not sure if thats worth the 320pt cost.

At the very least it should have terrifying, cast 2 spells, and 2 more wounds,

Unless theres some weird in lore reason that being a warpgnaw makes them less resilient.

I think the worst change to him is that he has to come up with his tag-along unit at a Gnawhole now instead of just anywhere on the board. That alone has really made his points cost not worth it in my opinion. When a standard Warp-Grinder team\Grinder-fists can come up anywhere and he can't, well, I think someone missed the mark is all.

Edited by Gwendar

5 hours ago, Num said:

Yes it's called "SKAVEN (warhammer)" and is very active

I joined 'Age of Sigmar Skaven Players' a few days ago and it's a bit mad how many posts there are. 

@Gwendarhe can't even bring anyone with him anymore, you can still see that he could because the ability's name is Realm Guide and the text at the end still refers to "units" but now the ability just turns him into one end of a Gnawhole that only he can use. Kinda sucks.

Edited by Kirjava13

10 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I joined 'Age of Sigmar Skaven Players' a few days ago and it's a bit mad how many posts there are. 

@Gwendarhe can't even bring anyone with him anymore, you can still see that he could because the ability's name is Realm Guide and the text at the end still refers to "units" but now the ability just turns him into one end of a Gnawhole that only he can use. Kinda sucks.

Yeah, the text never says anything about bringing or setting up another unit, although the name and flavor text imply he *should* be able to bring a unit along.

15 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Oh man, you're right...that's even worse. I wonder who made that change and didn't lower his point cost at the same time. I mean, he can be skitterleaped so I guess that's something, right? At that point... a Corrupter with SoJ wins out I would think.

Oh, and on the subject of Facebook groups, Skaven players seems to be the best. The overall SKAVEN (Warhammer) one has far too much going on and there was previous drama in the past that made me leave. I tend to post here when it comes to anything tactical... FB groups generally haven't been the best on that front from my experience.

Edited by Gwendar

49 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

@Russrmc what 3d software did you use to build those backpacks (which also look nice!)?

Do you intend to share them somewhere? (thingiverse...)

Zbrush for the backpacks :) in fact ZB fro mos tof the work, just a little blender to get a nice shape for the jezzail stock.

Working on options for files once I have them all sorted :) 

24 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Oh man, you're right...that's even worse. I wonder who made that change and didn't lower his point cost at the same time. I mean, he can be skitterleaped so I guess that's something, right? At that point... a Corrupter with SoJ wins out I would think.

Without being able to bring another unit I’d say he’s at least 100 points overpriced. I’d say overpriced by the amount of a warpgrinder, but now that the grinder damages you I think his ability was much more valuable.

Peepz in the know! 

Who knows, or is willing to take a quick look, the diameter of the Gnaw Holes? 
They are too similar for my taste so i'm going to at least convert two up to be more 'hidden' Gnawholes that fit my terrain collection. Not to mention the price. 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Peepz in the know! 

Who knows, or is willing to take a quick look, the diameter of the Gnaw Holes? 
They are too similar for my taste so i'm going to at least convert two up to be more 'hidden' Gnawholes that fit my terrain collection. Not to mention the price. 

It varies but it’s between 5 and 5 and a half inches for the rocky base. 

40 minutes ago, Zuriaxis said:

$55 for gnawholes ... I think I'll pass.

I did as well. I'm hearing mixed opinions on whether they're good or not, but since they're free I will probably buy them eventually. No downsides to having them.

On a side note, does anyone else feel skryre wizards are somewhat underwhelming? I feel like they're just being used to gain access to warpstone sparks or the warp lightning cannon's overcharge. Grey Seers appear to outclass them in almost every way, the Arch Warlock especially.

9 minutes ago, Skavelynn said:

I did as well. I'm hearing mixed opinions on whether they're good or not, but since they're free I will probably buy them eventually. No downsides to having them.

On a side note, does anyone else feel skryre wizards are somewhat underwhelming? I feel like they're just being used to gain access to warpstone sparks or the warp lightning cannon's overcharge. Grey Seers appear to outclass them in almost every way, the Arch Warlock especially.

I didnt play with the battletome yet, but my feeling from reading the book is that their spell lore suffers from the comparison with the grey seers'. To me, they feel more like support characters for skryre (more more warp, or boosting cannons). I don't feel they make much sense in lists with too few skryre? I'm hesitating between clans for  specializing my support (moulder+packmasters or skryre+wizards). I may be tempted to run a single arch warlock behind a pack of clanrats to chain some small mortal wounds though

How do you use or intend to use the skryre wizards?

I think at present Gnawholes are taking a little time for people to get used to them and honestly if they settle in a "good but not broken" position then that's honestly a REALLY good position for something that basically "should" be included in every army. 

I think the issue is people have to remember they are there and to work out what units are best to send through to get the best effect on their opponent without sending through chaff that will get slaughtered. I think they present a very powerful control and psychological tool for the skaven player; plus unlike things like the Warpgrinder, there's no risk for travelling through a gnawhole. 

Heya, i came up with a 1000 pts list that might be my go to list for now and base for a 2000 pts list  ! What do you think ?!

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Warpstorm Scroll 
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)

Total: 940 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 95

Immune to battleshock for the all army thx to the Warpseer, bodies to control objectives, possibly good amount of MW from spell, strong magic and stormfiends (buffed by the Warlock Bombadier) as a hammer/swiss knife unit.

2 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Gnawholes have the potential to be very handy, but a canny opponent will not find it to difficult to stop you making use of them if they want to. 

Aye, however nothing says we have to use them. A double bluff can mean that a canny opponent stops you using them - however it means they've had to reposition to favour the gnawholes which might leave you in a better position to strike for an objective. 

Certainly the one or two in your deployment area want to be positioned well to allow units through; but also give those units a viable pathway without using the gnawhole. Plus the bonus to mages is a boon to have and, thus, also wants to be a good position so they can take advantage of it. 

23 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

A must have for me 😊 good rules, free to use and as mentioned you get three large pieces who looks really cool. Sylvaneth and their Wyldwoods in the other hand... 😅

That’s taste for you, I much prefer the woods. Not only does it feel more natural for them to be similar but not having the limitation of being within range of a table edge makes such a difference. 

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

That’s taste for you, I much prefer the woods. Not only does it feel more natural for them to be similar but not having the limitation of being within range of a table edge makes such a difference. 

I'm sorry. You misunderstood  😊 I think Wyldwoods are great too. I was thinking compared in $$$ compared to Gnawholes. You need so many of the Wyldwoods. 

• Thanks 1