5kaven5lave

Now with correct name!! Here’s the new thread for our AoS 2 Battletome. 

Again, Skaven-speak optional but welcome. 

Old mini archive:

https://www.scribd.com/document/325855280/Skaven-Collector-s-Guide-Revised-Updated?campaign=SkimbitLtd&ad_group=11082X693941Xef7d298153c11b726594c93933bff296&keyword=660149026&source=hp_affiliate&medium=affiliate

Edited by 5kaven5lave
  • Thanks 1

Well so far this new Battletome has had me scouring ebay quite a bit! 

So far I've grabbed:

1) Warlock Gameday exclusive (UK ebay actually has quite a few of these dotted around!
2) Assassin in metal with the twinclaws
3) Deathrunner (likely will use it as another assassin)
4) Doom-flayer in metal - even though its not the "best" in the new book I still really like the model and am determined to own a handful in metal. Even if I only us a trio or so once or twice in games. 

I've also got my eye on Rat Ogres from Island of Blood - though they tend to sell for quite a bit. Plus I know I'll still end up getting the originals in plastic for them, the giant rats and the packmasters. 

I'm holding off on Warplocks and hoping there are metal ones still kicking around when I come to get them. 

• Like 1

Okay, so for a Verminus heavy army with Clanrats, if your general wasn't Masterclan and you don't have a Screaming Bell, how would we control morale losses for Clanrats? I really want to make a Verminlord Warbringer my general, but it looks more and more like a Warpseer with 5+ CP gain trait and the battleshock artifact wedged between two blocks of Clanrats is just going to be an absolute utility machine. A little disappointed  Verminus doesn't get a way to negate that as Strength in Numbers only counts for so much. Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

I just reeeeeaaaly want to field a Warbringer but Masterclan is too good to pass up. Edit: I have an unbuilt Verminlord so I have to decide.

Edited by Zuriaxis

31 minutes ago, Zuriaxis said:

Okay, so for a Verminus heavy army with Clanrats, if your general wasn't Masterclan and you don't have a Screaming Bell, how would we control morale losses for Clanrats? I really want to make a Verminlord Warbringer my general, but it looks more and more like a Warpseer with 5+ CP gain trait and the battleshock artifact wedged between two blocks of Clanrats is just going to be an absolute utility machine. A little disappointed  Verminus doesn't get a way to negate that as Strength in Numbers only counts for so much. Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

I just reeeeeaaaly want to field a Warbringer but Masterclan is too good to pass up. Edit: I have an unbuilt Verminlord so I have to decide.

The forgeworld clawlord on brood horror is an extra point in bravery aura (for what that is worth) I was about to say the warbringer has the masterclan keyword so he can take the " Do not take battleshock tests wholly within 13" of bearer" artefact but just checked over the warscroll and it looks like they took that away which bums me out because i wanted to have a immortal verminlord warbringer with the protection of the GHR 5+ fnp, the 5+ fnp artefact and the 5+ divert wound.

Edited by TheMuphinMan

I've finished my dead-things army and wish to eat-become the warpstone infused madness that is Skaventide.

I have a second hand army of 40 clanrats, grey seer, doomwheel, 2 warplightning cannons, thanquol, 2 death runners, and a warlock engineer. 

I know it's eat but what would be some good purchases for a coherent and competitive-casual 1000 pts? 

Also, am I crazy or is there no way to currently make a Skaventide army in Azyr?  Supposedly they updated the unit warscrolls, but everything is still listed as Clans.  I thought the whole point of the battletome was to allow us to make mixed skaven armies again?

Rules wise... is it just me or are warpfire weapon teams stupid good now?  For example, stick one inside a shield of clanrats, have the clan rats move up as normal.  If you get to charge in your rats, great they get to attack and such... if you get charged... great, the clanrats get killed and your warpfire thrower is standing there ready to hose the piled in enemy force with green flame.  One of my opponents is a DoK player... I can only imagine the face when I pick up all 40 clan rats leaving only the warpfire thrower in combat...  then on my turn roll 60 dice for the flame thrower on all 30 of his witches.  Burn-burn the WITCH!

Obviosuly Thanquol is even better, but a little sniveling flamer team is much more likely to blend into the horde and be forgotten than the four armed monstrosity.

1 hour ago, Zuriaxis said:

I'm pretty sure the new Bell of Doom endless spell makes it so you don't have to take battleshock tests.

Edited by angrywicket

1 hour ago, TheMuphinMan said:

The forgeworld clawlord on brood horror is an extra point in bravery aura (for what that is worth) I was about to say the warbringer has the masterclan keyword so he can take the " Do not take battleshock tests wholly within 13" of bearer" artefact but just checked over the warscroll and it looks like they took that away which bums me out because i wanted to have a immortal verminlord warbringer with the protection of the GHR 5+ fnp, the 5+ fnp artefact and the 5+ divert wound.

Well, keep in mind a FNP effect for a wound dice can re rolled only once as far as I know, unless Sigmar differs from 40K. I think I'll just make a Grey Seer my general for the ease of it.

59 minutes ago, angrywicket said:

I'm pretty sure the new Bell of Doom endless spell makes it so you don't have to take battleshock tests.

I'll be honest, Bell of Doom kinda scares me as a spell. I would hate to set it up and then have my opponent detonate it on top of all my guys/dispelled the following turn. Not a big fan of predatory spells.

I just really want to know how a Skryer heavy mixed skaven list will turn out now. I have the 2 FW heroes as well as thanquol/boneripper, a deceiver, the new carrion kit, a couple of warpfire cannons and plagueclaws, screaming bell and abunch of the little heroes etc.

5 hours ago, Nevar said:

Also, am I crazy or is there no way to currently make a Skaventide army in Azyr?  Supposedly they updated the unit warscrolls, but everything is still listed as Clans.  I thought the whole point of the battletome was to allow us to make mixed skaven armies again?

Rules wise... is it just me or are warpfire weapon teams stupid good now?  For example, stick one inside a shield of clanrats, have the clan rats move up as normal.  If you get to charge in your rats, great they get to attack and such... if you get charged... great, the clanrats get killed and your warpfire thrower is standing there ready to hose the piled in enemy force with green flame.  One of my opponents is a DoK player... I can only imagine the face when I pick up all 40 clan rats leaving only the warpfire thrower in combat...  then on my turn roll 60 dice for the flame thrower on all 30 of his witches.  Burn-burn the WITCH!

Well the warpflamer is technically the perfect and only ending I wish Dok gets (not fluff wise just in the game when beeing played)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

5 hours ago, Nevar said:

Perhaps it will update the list builder on Saturday, when the book officially releases?

6 hours ago, Zuriaxis said:

The warpseer needs to bring a command pt to the game, as his ability only activates in your hero phase. As such going against something like deepkin or stormcast who can easily charge you turn one and cause alot of battle shock damage before you even get a CP to use his ability, could make all your planning for not. Not saying warpseer is bad, but if he's your lench pin you need to bring a CP with you into the game. 

More over the warpseer's ability to bring you more CP doesn't matter if you aren't spending alot of it. So i think he's best paired with a claw lord AND a Vermin lord so you actualy get something out of the CP you are generating. 

If that's not your plan with your warpseer, i'd think the vermin lord would be better stand alone, and maybe look into getting a screaming bell. 

What do you think of using as "the hammer" now?

Perhaps running stormfiends in 6 in order to get more out of a single warpgrinder weapon?
520 points for 39 wounds, 24 melee attacks DMG 2 (16 of thrm with rend due to shock/grinder), 3d6+6 ranged attacks (wind launchers + rattling), ability to pop anywhere. Can be buffed to reroll hits and increase the damage of the ranged attacks.

In comparison, 40 stormvermins is 40 wounds and 80 attacks DMG 1 for 50 points. Can be buffed to increase the attacks, reroll hits (I think). And more?

For the same price, we can also get 10 rat ogors. This is 40 wounds, 40 melee attacks at DMG 2, 10 ranged attacks. Can be buffed with reroll hit wound, reanimate once when, and increase wound.

Have I missed any buff?

Is there any option at our disposal for "the hammer"?

Cheers

34 minutes ago, Num said:

Perhaps running stormfiends in 6 in order to get more out of a single warpgrinder weapon?
520 points for 39 wounds, 24 melee attacks DMG 2 (16 of thrm with rend due to shock/grinder), 3d6+6 ranged attacks (wind launchers + rattling), ability to pop anywhere. Can be buffed to reroll hits and increase the damage of the ranged attacks.

In comparison, 40 stormvermins is 40 wounds and 80 attacks DMG 1 for 50 points. Can be buffed to increase the attacks, reroll hits (I think). And more?

For the same price, we can also get 10 rat ogors. This is 40 wounds, 40 melee attacks at DMG 2, 10 ranged attacks. Can be buffed with reroll hit wound, reanimate once when, and increase wound.

Have I missed any buff?

Cheers

The storm vermin hit the hardest by a mile as they also get +1 to hit and wound at 30+ models. On top of +1 attack for each guy, and The rerolls mentioned they are ferious. verminlord can also let them pile in and attack on death, so even when charged they can bring some hurt.  they certainly hit hard, but your hard pressed to take that 40, and that's a pricey unit that is kind of frail for it's pts.  They are also a tiny bit slow, when compared to the hammer of other armies, but damage wise they are at the very top of the damage food chain, bringing everything you could hope for in a hammer unit out side of speed. There other issue is they are abit unweidly taking up lots of space, and you'll struggle to really take advantage of all of your attacks.

I think the Vermin Lord Warbringer isn't a slouch for a killy hero. General for verminous gives him access to +3 attacks once per game (?), Things bane gives him +1 damage  on his glaive attacks, Claw lord can give you another +1 attack per weapon.  His own command ability give you reroll 1's to hit, and you can reroll all wound rolls when he's got a host of clan rats or storm vermin backing him up.  For a 280pt model he puts out some very serious damage, and a lot of what you are doing with him, he'd already be doing in your army any way.  With a deceiver throwing you up field, the warbring could be a threat to anything exposed at any time. So while he can only really go ham once, he can really make it work. 

1 hour ago, Num said:

Have I missed any buff?

Cheers

Well I think they are all great choices, even the stormfiends who where in somewhat nerfed.

The buffs we can give to our units is what will make all of these units fantastic.

also as a Sidenot, the spell from the warbrimger works on all Skaventide units now, so meaning we can deathfrenzy ratogres or even stormfiends, which great

• Like 1

I have a decent sized (and fully painted) Skaven army, but all on square bases. And I have no intention to rebase them,  because I still want to use them in T9A.

But I still want to field my favorite army on round bases..therefore I am going to build an army on round ones :)

20 clanrats are already painted and  further units at least put on round bases. It's good to have so many unpainted minis and units around, that you can start another army with them ;)

5 minutes ago, demonlizardfromouterspace said:

I have a decent sized (and fully painted) Skaven army, but all on square bases. And I have no intention to rebase them,  because I still want to use them in T9A.

But I still want to field my favorite army on round bases..therefore I am going to build an army on round ones :)

20 clanrats are already painted and  further units at least put on round bases. It's good to have so many unpainted minis and units around, that you can start another army with them ;)

You could also pretty easily just ad magnets on your army and get some 25mm ferrous round disk.  Then when you play AoS just have them stand on the magnetizable round disk. 

22 minutes ago, demonlizardfromouterspace said:

Well I mean as long as your not interested in taking apart  on a tournament, it should be fine.

and even then, smaller events ususally allow you to take the square bases, since they are usually (not always) a minor issue rulewise.

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well I mean as long as your not interested in taking apart  on a tournament, it should be fine.

and even then, smaller events ususally allow you to take the square bases, since they are usually (not always) a minor issue rulewise.

It's more of a personal preference, I want to field my AOS armies on round bases, even If that means to build a new one. And who doesn't like to paint 200+ more minis  of the same army!