AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

8 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I have painted each box of my Troggs differently, even though some are fielded in units of 6.  As you say a Troggboss will gather a herd around them as they travel so it made sense to me that there would be a variety of colours as Troggs gathered from different locations along the way.  It also meant I was never bored of painting the same scheme over and over again.  I made all the bases the same, which is enough to tie them together.  The beauty is there is no established norm for how a Trogg should look, so any colour scheme is possible.

Thanks for the reply. I will go different colours- as you say should making painting them all more fun!

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 6:44 PM, Pitloze said:

Now I'm deciding what to do with the other two battleline spots. I kinda want another 9 Rockguts. Or 6/9/12 Fellwaters. Also considering adding some Stabbas as a screen. Because with the weapon range on Rockguts they can easily hit over the screen. Also feel like a Fungoid is almost mandatory but 90 pts is hard to open up.

So many options! But with the cost of the hag it's also kinda limited. I also fear for the wounds I tend to end up on. Between 120 and 140 wounds. I really like Destruction armies to be higher than that since we universally have ****** saves.

Rockies and Fellies are both good, but I tend to have more of the latter in my lists.  I think one thing to consider is that Rockguts roll very few dice per model, so units of 3 have a pretty high probability of doing nothing at all.  Whereas stinky trolls are rolling loads of dice even in a min unit, 15 attacks including the shooting.

So for that reason I like to run a unit or two of minimum Fellwaters kinda like cavalary.  They can run up the flanks and then knock chaff off an objective, stand up front and take a charge before you counter punch, and so on.

If you went 6-3-3 Fellies on top of what you have there, I think that puts you 1810 which leaves room for either a couple of Grot wizards, or one wizard plus an Endless Spell and triumph bid?

TL:DR don't sleep on Fellwaters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH I never had much success with fellwaters, they usually get killed way to fast by either combinations of mortal wounds, shooting, and in melee. and if they are not dead, they lose combat effectiness before I can do damage on a critical engagement. 

rockguts are swingy in combat but they have always done well for me because of the durability.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Holy crapola, that's some great news for Troggoths!  I wonder what Ogors will get, if anything?

I doubt we'll see anything for Ogres, since their book was overall more functional than Gitz was. Furthermore, Troggoths and Squigs are new and extremely popular sculpts that needed a boost to see more play, so from what I can tell their Tome Celestials were as much for marketing as anything else, since people wanted to use them but were lackluster on the table. It was an easy fix and certainly got people buying more of them. If anything we'd see spiders next, but somehow I doubt it, as then the Gitz range of required rules material would be getting bloated.

• Like 1

I am thinking about getting 1-2 of the new Gitz Battleforces + potentially 1-2 SC to start a Troggoth army (and a little 1k Squig army with the leftovers)

I already own Mollog and a Madcap Shaman (Zarbag) from Nightvault and I may get a Fungoid Cave Shaman at a later point because its such a great mini.

Here are some 1k and 2k lists I came up with this morning.

1k using 1 Battleforce + 1 SC

Dankhold Troggboss (250)
Mollog (180)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (140) Battleline
Stomping Megamob (160) Battalion (too expensive for 1k?)
TOTAL: 1000 points

OR 1k using just 1 Battleforce

Dankhold Troggboss (250)
Mollog (180)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300) - (or just 10 + a Madcap/Fungoid Shaman)

OR 1k using 1 Battleforce + 2 SC

Dankhold Troggboss (250)
Mollog (180)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280) Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280) Battleline

2k using 2 Battleforces + 2 SC

Dankhold Troggboss (250)
Mollog (170)
Madcap Shaman (80) - (or a Fungoid Cave-Shaman at a later date)
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (190) - (because I love both variations)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300) - (or 6 Fellwaters at a later date)
Stomping Megamob (160)
TOTAL: 1990 points

How do these look? I figure the Boingrot Bounderz could be useful for objectives.

I dont have the Battletome so I dont know but the Battleforce is temping me!

EDIT:

1 More for 1k

Dankhold Troggboss (250)
Dankhold Troggoth (190)
TOTAL: 1000

Edited by Orchid89
  • LOVE IT! 2

Would any experienced Gloomspite player be able to help me out? I'm interested in the Gloomspite battleforce but I need to decide between it and the Mawtribes box. I'm already an StD, Stormcast, Cities, DoK and Tomb Kings player.

I'm not really that interested in the Squig Riders, would it make any sense for me to buy the battleforce solely for the Troggoths and Troggboss, or am I better off buying them separately? I'm not a fan of the Fellwater Troggoths though..

Also how competitive is a Troggoth army? Is it a total waste of time or will it at least stand up to semi-optimised lists?

Edited by Snakeb1te

8 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Would any experienced Gloomspite player be able to help me out? I'm interested in the Gloomspite battleforce but I need to decide between it and the Mawtribes box. I'm already an StD, Stormcast, Cities, DoK and Tomb Kings player.

I'm not really that interested in the Squig Riders, would it make any sense for me to buy the battleforce solely for the Troggoths and Troggboss, or am I better off buying them separately? I'm not a fan of the Fellwater Troggoths though..

Also how competitive is a Troggoth army? Is it a total waste of time or will it at least stand up to semi-optimised lists?

I have a 2k army of almost exclusively troggoths with the addition of a pair of cave-shamans. I have great experience playing with them but I haven't investigated/experimented with moonclan/squigs/spiders. 

They are slow but can hit hard and I really like them. The competetive aspect I would say is some what limited, we recently got an trogg update in white dwarf which is really nice and good (allowing us to return half a unit of troggs after they are destroyed). What we lack is flexibility to answer well to other armies, our only tricks are hand of gork (teleport spell) and a new battalion that let us retreat and charge/shoot. So the troggoths are a little one dimensioned due to only having a few choices when it comes so units. Rockguts has few attack, high rend, high dmg. Fellwaters has many attacks, ok rend, ok dmg. Yesterday I played against idoneth deepkin and had big problems with his tanky eels with a 3+ unrendable save, had 6 rockguts doing nothing against them because of they have few attack and rely on their rend for consistency. 

I wouldn't expect to see them take you to the top in the tournaments but they are fun to play and are good looking models. 

(they are absolutely not useless but might struggle against the top meta) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sauriv said:

I have a 2k army of almost exclusively troggoths with the addition of a pair of cave-shamans. I have great experience playing with them but I haven't investigated/experimented with moonclan/squigs/spiders. 

They are slow but can hit hard and I really like them. The competetive aspect I would say is some what limited, we recently got an trogg update in white dwarf which is really nice and good (allowing us to return half a unit of troggs after they are destroyed). What we lack is flexibility to answer well to other armies, our only tricks are hand of gork (teleport spell) and a new battalion that let us retreat and charge/shoot. So the troggoths are a little one dimensioned due to only having a few choices when it comes so units. Rockguts has few attack, high rend, high dmg. Fellwaters has many attacks, ok rend, ok dmg. Yesterday I played against idoneth deepkin and had big problems with his tanky eels with a 3+ unrendable save, had 6 rockguts doing nothing against them because of they have few attack and rely on their rend for consistency. 

I wouldn't expect to see them take you to the top in the tournaments but they are fun to play and are good looking models. 

(they are absolutely not useless but might struggle against the top meta) 

So - would it be fair to say that this battleforce (and rockgut troggoths in general) are not very cash efficient? The army would need to be heavily supplemented by relatively pricey Rockgut boxes, and even then it pigeon-holes your army into a very singular playstyle, which isn't all that competitive anyway. Not that I will be competing - but nobody wants to spend £250 or more on models which are mono-dimensional. I also don't have access to the Troggoth rules you're referring to in White Dwarf.

As such it probably seems like the Mawtribes will be for me, and I might grab the odd Rockgut as an ally just for 'rule of cool' (and convert them up with scars and chains to represent their oppression under their parent Ogor Tribe ;))

I'm really grateful for your response.

Edited by Snakeb1te

1 hour ago, Snakeb1te said:

So - would it be fair to say that this battleforce (and rockgut troggoths in general) are not very cash efficient?

For me a single box of rockguts costs ~35£ and they are only worth 140p.

And for the battleforce box, if you do not want the squigs to go full troggs, then the battleforce box is worth 250 + 2x140 = 530p. So - cost efficient, not really no.

Here are the white dwarf rules if you are interested.

Spoiler

trogg1.jpg.5156f02108ba8e31c7a1081f615b0716.jpgtrogg2.jpg.8a68660e1cca601a43461453cb99031d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on using Fungoid as the general in the Mob? Hide him out of line of sight behind the loonshrine. Possible 2 CPs per turn.  Give him hand of gork. Put the artefact on a trogboss. Everything else is based on troggoths.

Edit; Gah! Battleline, forgot about that!

Edited by a74xhx

33 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Thoughts on using Fungoid as the general in the Mob? Hide him out of line of sight behind the loonshrine. Possible 2 CPs per turn.  Give him hand of gork. Put the artefact on a trogboss. Everything else is based on troggoths.

Edit; Gah! Battleline, forgot about that!

Yeah those requirements 😑 for me the troggboss doesn't do much more than enabling troggs as battleline. I rarely use his CA but when I do I could have used all out attack instead just as efficient (not many units near which are also in an important combat) .  I also often drown in CP so no real need to hide the general to preserve that Cp generation either. 

I always run 2-3 cave-shaman and a troggboss, and sometimes the hag as well. 

Had my first game with Glogg's Megamob today vs StoD with One Eyed Grunnock (who is actually a decent pick for them).

I felt it gave me a lot of freedom in my decisions, as being able to return Troggoths let me be more aggressive and risky, while retreat and charge actually let a lone Rockgut go and tie up a unit of Chaos Knights for a turn. The game was called turn 4 and I returned 3 Rockguts; I didn't have another fully destroyed unit at the time for my second attempt. Troggoths definitely felt better with these new rules.

On another note, my Hag killed a Mega Gargant with her 'Crushing Bulk'....

Edit: it was Focal Points and I did win.

Edited by Dankboss
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Had my first game with Glogg's Megamob today vs StoD with One Eyed Grunnock (who is actually a decent pick for them).

I felt it gave me a lot of freedom in my decisions, as being able to return Troggoths let me be more aggressive and risky, while retreat and charge actually let a lone Rockgut go and tie up a unit of Chaos Knights for a turn. The game was called turn 4 and I returned 3 Rockguts; I didn't have another fully destroyed unit at the time for my second attempt. Troggoths definitely felt better with these new rules.

On another note, my Hag killed a Mega Gargant with her 'Crushing Bulk'....

Edit: it was Focal Points and I did win.

What was your list? With the mega, hag, and troggboss, did you have enough left over to play the objectives?

2 minutes ago, Jmason said:

Thanks! This looks pretty close to what I would like to field. Although I’ll need to switch out the hag for a webspinner shaman on aracnarok. 

Do remember that the Hag can be returned via the Loonshrine, which makes her a genuine contender for the Shaman's spot.