Do You Have a "Pet" Unit/Model?

Just now, Cambot1231 said:

My favorite model to bust out from time to time has to be Throgg (Troggoth King) and his crew of chaos trolls converted from felwater troggoths . Death to all by rend 2 vomit!

I am really hoping that he gets rereleased in a legacy release.  Now that I was able to order a couple copies of Gorbad Ironclaw Throgg remains one of the models that I really feel bad for missing out on. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Yeah, and you could argue that Beastmen and Skaven properly belong more in Destruction than Chaos.  And you could almost argue it for Flesh-eater Courts too..........

Well Beastmen could maybe be a destruction army, but skaven are just a different kind of story.

from my perspective (or from most skaven players), they shouldn’t even be included in any of the grand allegiances, but simply put, have their own.

Oh, Queek headtaker and Thanquol are one of my favorite units in the game and lore.

Magmadroths. I just love magmadroths. I started collecting fyreslayers simply because I love my magmababies so much. I have 3 of them even though I doubt I will ever wield all of them in any serious game. They're fun to paint and pretty to look at too.

I'm a big fan of the screaming bell/plague furnace, and struggle to bring them into my lists, but my biggest "pet model" has to be the Skaven Warlord. Tend to be the last model standing just because I go above and beyond to keep him safe. Hiding him in houses and such. 

Great thread, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Tenebrael Shard is really high on the list, he reminds me of Kabal from mk3 except an aelf. Yes, he only does something on a 4+ and so most competitive people probably go for more consistent stuff, but the only thing I've found more fun than hiding an assassin inside his pants is giving him a sword of japan from ulgu.

Him and pretty much anyone with a 6" activation and pile-in, currently it's icefall yhetees (once I found a suitable gw counts-as).

9 hours ago, Karchev23 said:

Endrinriggers. Love them to bits, one of the units that made me fall in love with KO.

Riggers are one of those uniquely GW things. They're just awesome models to rules through and through.

6 hours ago, angrycontra said:

Magmadroths. I just love magmadroths. I started collecting fyreslayers simply because I love my magmababies so much. I have 3 of them even though I doubt I will ever wield all of them in any serious game. They're fun to paint and pretty to look at too.

They're one of those units I thought looked really sweet and then I found out most Fyreslayers players didn't run them and I became sad. It makes me happy to know someone represents them and love them as they deserve.

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Oh, Queek headtaker and Thanquol are one of my favorite units in the game and lore.

A lot of Queek Headtaker love in this thread. A good amount of Skaven mentions in general like they're just this great pet army in general. I love it. 

I might be naming Queek Headtaker the People's Champion of the thread though.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:52 PM, grungolah said:

For Nurgle, that would have to be my Lord of Afflictions and Blightlords.   Even when I don't play them, I wish I was.

For Death, even though I have not assembled a valid army yet, my mounted vampire lord and lady (custom).

My 6 blightlords and Loa are in every list I make haha. I know it’d be a better idea to take drones, but I think pusgoyles are so much cooler!

I love the Araloth/Nomad Prince model. If/when they get around to properly bringing Wanderers into AoS I really hope they base the rest of the army on him. 

That and he is also a bit of beast on the table too!

My pet model would have to be the Knight Azyros.  I didn't get to use him when he acted like a teleport homer but he always earns his points.     

During a skirmish league he single handedly won me a game vs sylvaneth.  I charged him forward into melee with a dryad next to the objective my opponent was deployed all around.   The next turn I won intiative and used his lantern bomb to wipe out over two thirds of my foe's warband. 

The next time I used him in a 1500 point game, he tied up a tzentch chariot and pink horrors for 3 rounds, detonating his lantern to burn away a ton of the demons arrayed against him. 

I still need to finish painting him actually. azyros.jpg.fcab7da4c81c4ef46425a691ccbffda2.jpg

I don't always bring it, but often regret trying to take the game too seriously if I don't. 

My mutalith, with my Tzeentch daemons. It stayed after I sold my mortals (as did my spawn). That thing looks amazing and the random effects add some fun to a game that I believe is at it's best when not taken seriously. 

Seawarden and 30 Highborn Archers combo- basically every one of my Order lists is built on that core as the Seadrake Pennant/Stand your ground/Volley of arrows combo is hilarious and has never yet got old for me. 

The look on your opponent's face the first time you you drop 47 wounds on something using some crappy Compendium stuff is glorious.

Edit: although finding out the hard way about Archaon's reflected damage ability with that unit was less fun - put Archaon down to a couple of wounds from full and killed twenty-something of the archers (including battleshock). Call it a draw?

Personally, no matter the size or state of the game, I like to include at least 5 blood knights. They are the soul(blight) of my lists, lovingly painted, immortal crusaders willing to charge anything on the other side of the table. They capture the feel of any death army, and are quite effective to boot.

What an awesome thread!  Personally I can't help but bring a Skullgrinder in my Khorne Mortals lists.  The idea of a blacksmith using his anvil as a weapon is just fantastic to me.  

All of you are making me want to get Queek for my new Skaven army!

On 7/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, Mephisto said:

They're one of those units I thought looked really sweet and then I found out most Fyreslayers players didn't run them and I became sad. It makes me happy to know someone represents them and love them as they deserve.

They almost got me to invest into a Fyreslayers army as I have always liked Dwarfs and Slayers have been a personal favorite.  The only thing that stopped me was that I don't like the Magmadroth in multiples.  I have a thing that makes me really hate duplicate sculpts in an army.  A lot of big monsters you can tweak to give them a slightly different pose or other modifications, but the Magmadroth is one of those highly detailed models in a really particular pose that just seems like converting the pose would be more trouble than it is worth.  

But, if they ever expand the Fyreslayer range with a bit more stuff I would probably scoop up the army in a heart beat.

Idoneth Leviadon! The army i am planning will need at least 2, as fluffwise their howdahs are used to transport namarti squads to keep up with the Akhelians. Plus it has about the most dangerous bite in the game and looks amazing.

Ironjawz megaboss is my other choice, he is the epitome of orkiness. 

I have a few models that I just love to run because the models are so nice.

My custom made Wight King with Banner which is not playable anymore so the banner is only decorative now.

My Chameleon Skink Stalker (Oxyotl) that was removed from the game a week after I painted it.... *eye twitch*

And my custom made Skink Chief which... *sob* is not playable anymore.

See the pattern there? Yeah I am not a lucky guy in that regard.

At least I also love my Bastiladon and Slann. ;)

3 hours ago, Aginor said:

I have a few models that I just love to run because the models are so nice.

My custom made Wight King with Banner which is not playable anymore so the banner is only decorative now.

My Chameleon Skink Stalker (Oxyotl) that was removed from the game a week after I painted it.... *eye twitch*

And my custom made Skink Chief which... *sob* is not playable anymore.

See the pattern there? Yeah I am not a lucky guy in that regard.

At least I also love my Bastiladon and Slann. ;)

I feel ya.  I'm personally championing GA: Death because I won't deny my mounted necromancer his existence.

7 hours ago, Gash Bauer said:

What an awesome thread!  Personally I can't help but bring a Skullgrinder in my Khorne Mortals lists.  The idea of a blacksmith using his anvil as a weapon is just fantastic to me.  

All of you are making me want to get Queek for my new Skaven army!

one-one of us

I don't have my pet models yet - but I am quite determined to have two potential pets:

1) A Khinerai assassin model conversion with a group of lifetakers. I just love the idea of winged death flying down and then a shadowblade assassin appearing from the group to further slice and dice the enemy

2) Gryph hounds. I don't want to build a Stormcast army (even though they look great and have a diversity of mounts/beasties that I do like); but I want to take Gryph Hounds! Even if they are not as good as they were before (their watchman ability now only works on Stormcast not any friendly unit so they are no long as good at holding back to protect against units swooping into the battlefield). 

4 hours ago, Tailessine said:

Idoneth Leviadon!

Leviadon is one of those models that looks so good it practically makes you want to play the army. Not only does it look like a centerpiece but that save it provides makes it a tactical centerpiece. 

Archived