Speculation here, and only my opinion - I have no insider knowledge.

I think that the medium-longterm state of these factions will be either reimagined smaller aspects brought out into full factions (e.g. Kurnothi) or they will be part of the cities. So, Cities of Sigmar will be full factions with humans, duardin and aelves and this is where you'll find your ordinary people. I suspect there won't be Dispossessed, Wanderers etc. Obviously I could be wrong but I feel this is the way GW is going. 

I'm really hoping for a way to incorporate Humans, Elves, and Duardin into a coherent 2k point army list. If they push sub-factions too hard in this book then I'll probably due a big elf army. There's been a lot of different elf kits I've been eyeing since 8th edition. I really hope they make Wild Riders hit like a truck again.

49 minutes ago, Kamose said:

Not sure what I'ma do with my General with his "that's totally metal" dead-angel banner...

Worst case scenario, Greatsword champion with a banner (assuming the new warscroll still allows champions to be designated as standard bearers).

I'm curious where people are getting the Steam Tank army tidbit from.  I've searched the Warhams Community article and didn't see it.  I just painted a Steam Tank and wanna know how far I can take this thing.

Reported here: https://spruesandbrews.com/2019/07/20/battletome-cities-of-sigmar/ :) 

Riding a bear.  Always a good decision. Give me my demigryph general and I'll be happy! Also update everyone's Command Abilities to activate in the phase in which they work!

Who knows, we could be getting a character option from the Demigryph kit ala Pussgoyle Blightlords/Lord of Afflictions. The Demigryph champion is certainly fancy enough:

99120202032_DemigryphKnights02.jpg

50 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Ironweld, I expect the copters and bombers to go to Kharadron or Disposessed (but see next bit), and the others to go to Freeguild. Perhaps there is one or two new models, if so, the old models will get a warscroll nerf to invalidate them, if no new models, this faction will be removed in 1-2 years. Steam tank has Karl Franz text on it, and helblaster/helstorm are dated (though KF is more subtle on them).

College: Does not have a god tie. If they are not rolled in with Freeguild, they are going to be removed, if they are, they may still be. Wizards are dated, and both the griffin and luminarch/hurricanum sets have Karl Franz text on them.

As confusing as they may be however many thousands of years later, I don't think Karl Franz's name/initials appearing on a model = retired. Three of the kits you named were on display at the open day (the Steam Tank doesn't even have a KF on it, I'm painting one right now), and the griffon's been photographed as part of a Living City force promoting the book, so it ain't going anywhere:

D_6Ca3-WsAAsf8_.jpg

AoSOpenDay-Jul20-FreePeoples3esd-665x553

Devoted: Excelsior Warpriest shares a sprue with an undersized gryph hound, so that can't be reprinted.

And Fyreslayers have undersized legs. I'm not seeing your logic 🤨

General on Griffin: Brilliant (2011) set, the only weakness is KF lettering you cannot circumvent, if that is retooled, it will stay.

What about Ulric,Taal and Morr?! 😱

Edited by Double Misfire

15 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

As confusing as they may be however many thousands of years later, I don't think Karl Franz's name/initials appearing on a model = retired. Three of the kits you named were on display at the open day (the Steam Tank doesn't even have a KF on it, I'm painting one right now), and the griffon's been photographed as part of a Living City force promoting the book, so it ain't going anywhere.

And Fyreslayers have undersized legs. I'm not seeing your logic 🤨

What about Ulric,Taal and Morr?! 😱

Oh, they are not going this moment. Just next year or so.

The undersized legs on Fyreslayers are both a matter of opinion, and consistent. The gryph hound does not fit others with the same warscroll.

And Ulric, Taal and Morr are all better gods than Sigmar. Sigmar probably does not like that, and will instruct his acolytes in Nottingham to take them out. My city just got a bit of lore added to it.

Just now, zilberfrid said:

Why would they even bother with a battletome, then? Now is a perfect time to remove them without all the design work needed to bash them together into a new faction. They *might* disappear, of course, but it will either take much longer [until AoS 3.0 at the very least] or to replace them with newer resculpts. We may safely assume that whatever we're left with after the cull is safe for some time.

Just now, zilberfrid said:

The gryph hound does not fit others with the same warscroll.

Oh, look, it's the brand new gryph-watchdog unit or whatever they might decide to call it ; ). It doesn't *have* to use the same warscroll, really. I'm not saying they will do this, but it's nowhere near the scale of problem with, for instance, bonesplitter boss that has its foot modelled into a square base.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dekay said:

Why would they even bother with a battletome, then? Now is a perfect time to remove them without all the design work needed to bash them together into a new faction. They *might* disappear, of course, but it will either take much longer [until AoS 3.0 at the very least] or to replace them with newer resculpts. We may safely assume that whatever we're left with after the cull is safe for some time.

Oh, look, it's the brand new gryph-watchdog unit or whatever they might decide to call it ; ). It doesn't *have* to use the same warscroll, really. I'm not saying they will do this, but it's nowhere near the scale of problem with, for instance, bonesplitter boss that has its foot modelled into a square base.

Gryph-chihuahua

But yeah, it will probably take longer. I'm a bit pessimistic these days.

Man its truly amazing how large a PR blunder this book has been. And how little it would have taken to minimize it. Had they spent 10 minutes to write a list and some notes on the design thoughts this whole kerfuffle could have been minimized. People are always going to be upset when units get retired but sneaking out a semi-announcment after most model set have sold out then ignoring the upset customers for as long as they have really is GW squandering a ton of the good will they built up recently.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

I can't see anything that survived the latest cull going anywhere that quickly! I'd confidently speculate that the new battletome will feature a bit of colour text that canonises Karl Franz as either a major Sigmarite saint, or alternative name for Sigmar himself.

And Ulric, Taal and Morr are all better gods than Sigmar. Sigmar probably does not like that, and will instruct his acolytes in Nottingham to take them out. My city just got a bit of lore added to it.

Taal and Morr get a raised eyebrow, but Middenland pls go. 😜 

1 hour ago, dekay said:

Gryph-huahua

6ad9826670600608d45a358f86ceadf7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important news concerning recently axed units!

I'm not on the Facebooks, but a friend just sent me this:

LnMAoF0.jpg

It looks like the axed units will still be available to their parent factions, just not as part of Cities of Sigmar allegiance, your army has not been invalidated, and all of the units that didn't get discontinued are getting shiny new warscrolls. Business as usual, everybody wins I guess! 🥳

For dwarf artillery affectionados like myself, this means our Cities of Sigmar armies will still be able to ally in Cannons and Organ guns as part of the Blacksmoke Battery mercenary company.

Dwarf party!

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

It looks like the axed units will still be available to their parent factions, just not as part of Cities of Sigmar allegiance, your army has not been invalidated, and all of the units that didn't get discontinued are getting shiny new warscrolls. Business as usual, everybody wins I guess! 🥳

For dwarf artillery affectionados like myself, this means our Cities of Sigmar armies will still be able to ally in Cannons and Organ guns as part of the Blacksmoke Battery mercenary company.

Nothing to be happy about, they'll certainly become useless with the next GHB

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

I can't see anything that survived the latest cull going anywhere that quickly! I'd confidently speculate that the new battletome will feature a bit of colour text that canonises Karl Franz as either a major Sigmarite saint, or alternative name for Sigmar himself.

Taal and Morr get a raised eyebrow, but Middenland pls go. 😜 

Gryph-huahua

6ad9826670600608d45a358f86ceadf7.jpg

I just painted my mini gryph hound, a bit less colourful.

I as a person don't like Stormcast, so my city won't either and by proxy Sigmar. Taal fits my city perfectly for the Ghur side of town, with Verena for the Hyish side. I would have liked that to also be one of the northern gods, but those do not really fit Hyish. I like the dichotomy of a bit of Kharza mashed with a Hyish town, making savagery and philosophy two sides of the same coin.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maturin said:

Nothing to be happy about, they'll certainly become useless with the next GHB

Greenskinz and legacy compendium units got matched play points in the latest GHB, so who knows? (Though I suspect Dispossessed, Free Peoples, Darkling Covens and Wanderers' allegiance abilities will be long gone)

3 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

That FB post just confirms what we already know. Those units are for all intents dead unless you want to run generic order and handicap yourself. They'll never get updates, their points won't get adjusted, it's a poor attempt at pacifying gamers.

Unless you want to run dwarf cannons 😎

(or organ guns I guess, but really, why would you not run cannons?)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Important news concerning recently axed units!

I'm not on the Facebooks, but a friend just sent me this:

LnMAoF0.jpg

Dwarf party!

Yes, we can play with the remainder of the units, and the others will not be deleted until GHB 2020, but also will not get updated warscrolls. Updating the warscralls could change keywords, so lords from retained units do not affect dumped units and vice versa.

Shiny new warscrolls can be a blessing or a curse. I expect a net loss for Freeguild at the loss of Militia units and maybe even every sane loadout for the general.

As someone who owns high elves, wood elves, dwarf, and empire models in spades, I will say I am going to wait for the book to pass judgement. I am happy that my models can play together, even if some are gone. It just makes me glad I also play Warlords of Erehwon too, so the axed units still get table time.

This is better than the alternative, GHB rules only or deletion. I am happy to see this book coming, so far Skaven and Undead were great. Why would that stop now?

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Chickenbits said:

Maybe I'm way late to this, but I just realised that GW is using the 2-headed griffon with a general. New option, I guess?

Also R.I.P Freeguild general on horse. Just as I was starting to make lists including you, you get the axe. Farewell, my friend.

It might be a new option, it might be a mistake. Either way, I'm holding off on finishing those griffins.

And yes, the Empire General on horse will be missed. I was at it quite fast, and luckily puchased one on ebay before prices were rising, since I did not want to wait for a long time (even though, in my youthful innocence of the monday before yesterday, I thought they could not remove that set). 

• Like 1

But seriously, the negativity on this board is astounding. It's not perfect, I know, but it's the best we're gonna get. To me, any support is better than none at all, even if that support limits our options.  I mean, better for it to be over with than for us to sit on the shelf, waiting for the turn that will never come.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Old armys or models who got full revamp with a new tome and didnt got units deleted:

Lon(all even nagash is old,only new ghosts werent in fantasy)

Skavens

Beast of khaos

Flesh eater

Every daemon army(got some new models but the big % is old)

Also many others as silvaneths got many models old of fantasy.

Since aos came only one box of goblins was deleted and they got as 10 new box to compensate.

So why now elfs,dwarfs and humans cant be negative for be the first armys since aos launched and killed bretonians and tk on get as the 40% or more of our models deleted???