AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey, im new to AOS and am going to be getting an army in the next month or so and really like the look and feel of DOK. (not to mention how cool of a character morathi is) I poked around DOK's warscrolls and battalions and this is the list I came out with. Any and all advice or tips appreciated

Temple: Zainthar Kai

Morathi-Khaine
Spell lore: Mindrazor

The Shadow Queen

Melusai Ironscale
Art: Shadracar's Fang

Bloodwrack Shrine
Genreal
Trait: Curse of the bloody-handed
Art: Crimson Talisman
Spell lore: The Withering

10 man units of blood sisters (x2)

5 man unit of blood stalkers (x2)

Battalions:
Scathecoven
Vyperic Guard

Endless Spells/CP:
Bloodwrack Viper

1990/2000

@Deadrixc I think a bit model light- you will struggle on objectives. I might cut one of the battalions. You'll still be pretty low drop. I'd also try to get at least one unit of 10-20 stalkers to use with Morathi's command ability. I might also go for a 15-5 split for the sisters to take better advantage of some of your command abilities.

Something like: Morathi x2, Bloodwrack Shrine, Melusi, 15x sisters, 5x sisters, 15 x stalkers, Vyperic guard, Bloodwrack viper. 

Not completely sure these fit for the points, and even with these changes, it still seems a little too glass cannon-y to me, even for DoK. I might try to fit in the khainite shadowstalkers for some screens or something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frowny said:

@Deadrixc I think a bit model light- you will struggle on objectives. I might cut one of the battalions. You'll still be pretty low drop. I'd also try to get at least one unit of 10-20 stalkers to use with Morathi's command ability. I might also go for a 15-5 split for the sisters to take better advantage of some of your command abilities.

Something like: Morathi x2, Bloodwrack Shrine, Melusi, 15x sisters, 5x sisters, 15 x stalkers, Vyperic guard, Bloodwrack viper. 

Not completely sure these fit for the points, and even with these changes, it still seems a little too glass cannon-y to me, even for DoK. I might try to fit in the khainite shadowstalkers for some screens or something. 

Yeah, I cut out the scathecoven as it wasnt really doing much for me and picked up another 5 stalkers instead. I do agree that this army is extremely glass cannon. The main idea is to push up so hard that deep-striking might not even be worth it. my only backline would be 2 x5 units of stalkers who are meant to sit on objs so my main force can be freed up to run into the enemy. while deep strikes could potentially kill about 280 points worth of shoot girls and backcap my objs. I feel like im already buzzsawing through their main force or im not fully committed yet and can deal with any deployment shenanigans. I feel like I have a good amount of gas to keep the saw buzzing too with Melusai ironscales CA and morathi's CA. And not to mention the absolute hoard-killer the shrine is. This army is going to be a very cat and mouse army due to how squishy my snake ladies are. Cause a mistimed charge could easily mean me losing most of my force. im not too worried about big shooting armies like KO,COS or LRL due to my fairly fast army. (ill just give the shrine a speedboost from the CA)

Appreciate the Advice.

Edited by Deadrixc

Guys, I need your help. Next week I have a few matches coming up and I finally feel brave enough to try new sects 😃 Till now it has always been the good old Hagg Nar. Here the list I've used so far:

Bloodwrack Medusa (100)
- General
- Lore of Shadows: Mirror Dance
Morathi-Khaine (210)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
The Shadow Queen (390)
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (220)
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Morgwaeth the Bloodied (80)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
10 x Blood Sisters (260)
10 x Blood Stalkers (280)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
4 x The Blade-coven (0)
Vyperic Guard (140)
Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

Additionally I own the following units unboxed: 10x Witch Aelves, 5x Khinerai.

Initially I've thought about Khelt Nar or Khailebron. But what tweaks does my list need?
Or do I even need to purchase new units to play those sects efficiently? 

Thank you all very much!

Hi All, 

So a fellow DOK (Gary) has been hit by some rl issues and was going to sell his army to cover it. Some thought that was a shame and Andrew started a gofund me.

Gofundme link
https://www.gofundme.com/f/daughters-of-khaine-fund?utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1&utm_medium=chat&utm_source=whatsapp

Is anyone can spare anything that would be fantastic, if not please share on twitter if you can 

This was his tweet 
image.png.04a644f428bb9302dc700db5a875bb92.png

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

How is everyone rating the Viper endless spell at the moment? Not seen much buzz for it previously but have heard a couple of recent podcasts bandy around phrases like ‘autoinclude’. 

Only played 2 games with new DOK (now I have a shot wanna sort more)

Game 1: Didnt get it off.

Game 2: Got it off turn 3 and it killed a Mortisan Boneshaper. 130pts I think they are, so same points as my Medusa plus spell and anything else she did that game. So not bad.

I think if you have the spare points its alright to take if you have a spare caster. If you dont then you are probably saving that cast for Mindrazor 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Only played 2 games with new DOK (now I have a shot wanna sort more)

Game 1: Didnt get it off.

Game 2: Got it off turn 3 and it killed a Mortisan Boneshaper. 130pts I think they are, so same points as my Medusa plus spell and anything else she did that game. So not bad.

I think if you have the spare points its alright to take if you have a spare caster. If you dont then you are probably saving that cast for Mindrazor 

Thanks man, my current debate is whether it’s worth dropping some stuff to make room for the second Medusa on foot and the ES. I know it’s morally wrong to complain about the points cost of DoK units but the 10 points in the 110 of the Ironscale is such a snag in my list building 😅

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Thanks man, my current debate is whether it’s worth dropping some stuff to make room for the second Medusa on foot and the ES. I know it’s morally wrong to complain about the points cost of DoK units but the 10 points in the 110 of the Ironscale is such a snag in my list building 😅

Main reason I took it and the 2nd Medusa was the 2nd medusas support features. 

Gives us 2 more dispels and that lovely antihorde shooting attack. I had her on a shrine but dropped to foot so I can stick her in my bloodsisters and get her close to the fight a snake target 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

How is everyone rating the Viper endless spell at the moment? Not seen much buzz for it previously but have heard a couple of recent podcasts bandy around phrases like ‘autoinclude’. 

Still a very new player, but I've attempted to run it twice and haven't successfully cast it.

Which is more than just it being unreliable or unbound (which it has been).

It rarely seems to take "priority" over more immediately useful spells (ie, mindrazors) and having only one cast on my non-character wizards mean they have to be picky about what they're attempting to do.  Additionally, as I'm running primarily melusai it's extremely risky for my own models as well...

Morathi feels like she really wants a third good spell to cast and would benefit from an endless spell, but she's also 600 points to get on the table... and she really wants an extra CP via points or Battallion... meaning that paying for a spell in addition as opposed to a model that can hold objectives or Do Work for certain feels really expensive.  

I'm not giving up on it yet, but my experience in previous minis games (and other forms of Warhammer) definitely hasn't screamed "autoinclude" at me about it by any means. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the responses guys, decided against the Viper in the end and made some other changes to help me pick up my first win vs. Fuethan eels IDK in a long while so pretty happy with it.

My new list is below, made the switch to good old fashioned Hagg Nar as Khelt was doing nothing for me vs. an army that obliterates any single unit it comes into contact with and rerolls 1s for days. Getting all the buffs one turn early is so good.

Played Total Conquest, made a beefy castle on my home objective and basically waited for my opponent to blink first, which they did, then I smashed into them with fast moving blenders. Screening with Doomfires and Shadowstalkers is ideal as they can also attack at speed if your opponent doesn’t try to alpha you. I think having those ~250 point units mean they can still slap but also if they’re wiped it isn’t that big a deal. Anyway, the list, any ideas welcome:

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Bloodwrack Shrine (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples  
- Artefact: The Ulfuri  
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (220)
- Artefact: Iron Circlet  
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
Melusai Ironscale (110)
10 x Blood Sisters (260)
10 x Blood Sisters (260)
5 x Blood Stalkers (140)
30 x Sisters of Slaughter (360)
- Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
10 x Doomfire Warlocks (240)
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)
Scathcoven (140)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

On 5/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Barking Agatha said:

Hello,

I'm going to be playing against a Disciples of Tzeentch army soon, and I don't know what to expect. What would be a good list and tactics to use against them?

Thanks!

They can alpha strike turn 1 with flamers for high damage

Pink horrors split into blue horrors that I think split again

casting spells give them summoning points

Current tzeentch/Archeon build going around that makes Archeon nails and very killy as can use destiny die abilitty to get instant kill effect with its sword 

• 2 weeks later...

From what I gathered from the story Malerion seems to be more or a loner type, and more or a cunning spy and thief than a general.

Sure, if he's brought in I'll think he'll come with some sneaky shadowy creatures, but I kinda don't see him bringing an army of Aelf like in the Olden Days. And DOK already dabble a bit in the shadow theme as well, in form of the Shadowstalkers, the Khailebron sect and the Lore of Shadows.

And if Malerion were to join his mother together with some minions, they could just call it Umbraneth Gloom-Aelf and they'd have the perfect darker twin to the Lumineth Realm-Lords, complete with two Gods, just like their fair cousins.

PS:

'One must take pleasures where one can find them, in these times of turmoil.’

‘No doubt your bedchamber has seen its fair share of turmoil of late.’

Looks like the Goddess is still not above mortal habits...

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Looks like the Goddess is still not above mortal habits...

Gotrek is often allied along Morathi for fun lists.

Just saying so there's no surprise to some bearded-snakemen in the future.

• Haha 1

Lore wise Daughters of Khaine are a few city states in Shadow - Malarion rules most of Shadow Realm.

Right now he's more of a shadow in the setting because he's no army so GW hasn't pushed the lore for him. That said I fully expect to see him leading legions and armies. Note that his appearance in the short story is an astral projection. It's magical power and a show of great magical force rather than sneaky spy stuff (though that's also implied). It's why Morathi slicing off a finger is such an important part because it shows how she now has power to hurt him even in that form. That she's risen in power significantly. 

This coupled with her expansion activities is basically her showing that she's got reason and motivation to push her DoK forces to be more than a corner of shadow; to be a major player on the battlefields not just an ally of others.

Heck perhaps it will unravel around her and her son has to lead his legions in to save her when she finds herself contending with vast Slaanesh legions at the gates and Sigmar and others unwilling/unable to aid her.

Her forces are powerful and politically she's perhaps the closest to Sigmar in a fevered hate of Chaos and willingness to do something about Chaos directly; however at the same time she's always got her own agender 

• Like 1

Been way out of the loop recently. Finally got some cash together and want to grab the new book and bolster what I've got.

Here's my currently available list. Would love some suggestions on where to take it.

Leaders:

Morathi.

Cauldron (can go all three ways)

Ironscale

Medusa/Slaughter/Hag (2 of 3, see cauldron)

Morgwaeth

Battleline:

10x Sisters w/ bucklers

10x Witches w/ bucklers

Other:

10x Blood Sisters

5x Blood Stalkers

5x Heartrenders

9x Shadowstalkers

It's about 1960 in the app.

What other than the book and the spells are worth picking up and where to lean the build?

19 hours ago, Cmidrfti said:

Been way out of the loop recently. Finally got some cash together and want to grab the new book and bolster what I've got.

Here's my currently available list. Would love some suggestions on where to take it.

Leaders:

Morathi.

Cauldron (can go all three ways)

Ironscale

Medusa/Slaughter/Hag (2 of 3, see cauldron)

Morgwaeth

Battleline:

10x Sisters w/ bucklers

10x Witches w/ bucklers

Other:

10x Blood Sisters

5x Blood Stalkers

5x Heartrenders

9x Shadowstalkers

It's about 1960 in the app.

What other than the book and the spells are worth picking up and where to lean the build?

well as of right now you need to make either a medusa or ironscale your general to get 3 battleline. and id personally drop a hero cause you kind of dont have a lot of troops to absorb all those buffs. either drop the ironscale and go bloodwrack shrine or drop morgweath and go 1 hag couldron or slaughter cauldron. then use the remaining 200 points ish to get some more snakes or women