AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I’m so excited! 😍

New Army-wide buffs, possible new Lodge sub-factions to spice up abilities, finally the chance to give them coalition options and just a big rework to the army so it can try new things! 

New lore of them being hired out to the Dawncrusades, dealing with the fall of Anvilgard and their priesthood lava lakes there while fending off/hiring out to DoK’s expanding forces in Aqshy and just the general Era of Beasts troubles with a shining new Path to Glory is gonna be sweet!

And though faction Core Battalions are watered down for balance I’d like to try theirs. One centered around Magmadroths would certainly be tasty.

Fyreslayers had some of the strongest allegiance abilities and battalions in 2nd edition. There is almost zero chance that the 3rd edition enhancements and lodges will be anything but a downgrade, and a massive one at that.

They could make up for it by improving warscrolls, but based on what we've seen so far... ¬¬

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Fyreslayers had some of the strongest allegiance abilities and battalions in 2nd edition. There is almost zero chance that the 3rd edition enhancements and lodges will be anything but a downgrade, and a massive one at that.

They could make up for it by improving warscrolls, but based on what we've seen so far... ¬¬

I'm not feeling optimistic yeah, too many disappointing Fyreslayer rewrites recently.

Starting with Broken Realm, we had two truly pointless warscroll changes, to the extent that they might as well not have bothered. Then the new hero is terribly designed with one of the clunkiest list of buff requirements I've ever seen in my life. New unit warscrolls downgraded across the board, with signs of just poor insight into Fyreslayers, like thinking changing axes from 5+ to 4+ means anything, or that giving Shield Vulkites the same stat buff as every other updated shield unit in 3E deserves +10 points and half damage output.

Now take away Warscroll Battalions, and add Simplified subfactions, in a new book that all signs point to being written by someone not getting Fyreslayers as an army, yeah...

Edited by madmac
  • Like 3

I am....cautiously optimistic. This IS a chance for some cool upgrades and updates and fun tweaks. At the very least, Path to Glory will be fun! 

But Fury of the Deep did the opposite to what I expected... Took the wind right out of my sails. Which I guess is fine, for me I am focusing on my Slaanesh anyways, but I'd love for a nice and fun Fyreslayers to come back to when I want a change, tide me over and get my DORF fill. Guess we'll see...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

Yes i think the same,they allready told us in the white dwarf that 3.0 tomed gonna bring simplifiqued alegiances and also wont have the specific enhacement of each lodge

So we can say for sure bye to the -1 wound aura and also each lodge gonna be simplifier that usually means nerfed.

And we wont get new scrolls for units,i only have a glimpse hope that magmadroths be buffed and finnally can be competitive for once since his launch,some as 400 points for same stats than maw krusha would be cool

Also i would like a all dwarf lodge and barak tryng of kharadrons

42 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

I am....cautiously optimistic. This IS a chance for some cool upgrades and updates and fun tweaks. At the very least, Path to Glory will be fun! 

But Fury of the Deep did the opposite to what I expected... Took the wind right out of my sails. Which I guess is fine, for me I am focusing on my Slaanesh anyways, but I'd love for a nice and fun Fyreslayers to come back to when I want a change, tide me over and get my DORF fill. Guess we'll see...

I just hope they’re looking to shake up the army compositions away from Berzerker spam.

If the Warscroll nerfs are to go along with tome armybuffs and more unit-focused Lodge traits so depending on your army build you can build up the units to be more versatile options(similar to Stormhosts focusing on units like Paladins, redeemers, draconith, etc) then that’d be fantastic!

On 1/31/2022 at 4:49 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

NON-SOUP CHADS WE WON.

iSTkZ8xkYdF2LWWs.jpg

A win for Kharadron, but less so for Fyreslayers.

But maybe they have rules for Magmadroth without riders as monsters, and GW might theoretically have a chance to consider perhaps thinking about making a third non hero box for Fyreslayers.

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

A win for Kharadron, but less so for Fyreslayers.

But maybe they have rules for Magmadroth without riders as monsters, and GW might theoretically have a chance to consider perhaps thinking about making a third non hero box for Fyreslayers.

I doubt that will happen since the throne is part of the magmadroths "scales"

If anyone has any feedback on the colour scheme for my army test model would be super grateful. Obviously painter skills aren’t amazing but wanna get the colours right. First pic in the post is a WIP (by accident), scroll down a bit for the finished ones. Have some lava bases to put them on when they’re done. Ta!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xx7RBkg

• Like 2

I still think that Fyreslayers are going to be improved by a lot. I'm not talking about winning or how powerful they are going to be on the table, but just an improvement overall.

If we take SCE, Nurgle and Orruks as a blueprints, we can see something like this:

Stormcast Eternals

1. Blaze of Glory
  2. Scions of the Storm or Shield of Civilization
  3. Holy Commands

Orruk Warclans

1. Venom-encrusted weapons / Mighty Destroyers / Warpaints
  2. Kruleboyz Waaagh / Ironjawz Waaagh / Bonnesplitterz Waaagh
  3. Dirty Tricks / Smashing and Bashing / Spirit of Gorkamorka

Maggotkin of Nurgle

1. Diseased
  2. Disgusting Resilient
  3. Cycle of Corruptions

I know that factions can still have more abilities (Tireless Trackers or Summon Daemons of Nurgle), but the whole point is that Fyreslayers only have 1 ability: Ur-gold Runes. Subfaction should open conditional battlelines (or even coalition units) appart from another ability and not be chained to your general. 

Time will tell, but it seems good!

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Time will tell, but it seems good!

Exactly. The armywide buffs and overhaul of mechanics like making sub-factions more versatile can be huge for making Fyreslayers a fun army to play.

Like just giving them armywide bodyguard would be enough to turn them into a hero focus army with pricey troops that the Flamekeepers store up for a climatic boost to turn the tide. Fitting for a Realm of Fire people who are all about burning bright before turning to ash.

It would be cool to see a allegiance trait split like Scions vs Stormkeep with the Fyreslayers having something like Mercenaries vs Ancestral Flames so they can either go coalition heavy and focus on buffed up heroes “going merc” or Ancestral flames boosting the Magmadroths and fire abilities instead(making them too hot to handle for allies).

On top of that the Seasons of War having a chance to change to Aqshy could do things to help Grimnir’s children same way Era of the Beast sent Sons of Behemat from low tier to top tier. Fury of Deep already favoring the Aqshyians could be a good sign.

Plus there’s still these rumor engines that might end up Fyreslayer surprises.

image.jpeg.a0bb4c8539833acb2ec31d6b26dccba5.jpeg
image.jpeg.e20999568cf47b96df4ec919966a2775.jpeg

On 2/5/2022 at 7:32 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

If anyone has any feedback on the colour scheme for my army test model would be super grateful. Obviously painter skills aren’t amazing but wanna get the colours right. First pic in the post is a WIP (by accident), scroll down a bit for the finished ones. Have some lava bases to put them on when they’re done. Ta!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xx7RBkg

That gold paint-job is fire! 😍🔥

Also really like the metal job you did to make the warpicks and sling shield match-up. Nice bits of blue to give a color contrast too. 👌

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

The probem is that some scrolls are so bad that is imposible be fixed to be playable.

Vulkites with base 30" and 1" range only can be fixed by a ignore coherency rule,and even then,the pick version with 5 damage betwen melle and range for 170 gonna be ****** even with rules of +1 attack or attack twice.

Also every new rule wont change the fact that hearthguards are better than vulkites in every situation

8 minutes ago, Doko said:

The probem is that some scrolls are so bad that is imposible be fixed to be playable.

Vulkites with base 30" and 1" range only can be fixed by a ignore coherency rule,and even then,the pick version with 5 damage betwen melle and range for 170 gonna be ****** even with rules of +1 attack or attack twice.

Also every new rule wont change the fact that hearthguards are better than vulkites in every situation

I think you got measurements wrong, aren't the bases 32mm, not 30"(762 mm)?

I think they can add some nice flavorful rules to Vulkites to make them stand out. 

Just give them a Knights Excelsis-type Lodge that gives them a boost depending on what weapon they wield.

Vulkites with Fyresteel Handaxes: “The fiery warriors of this Lodge relish battle with many ancient tales of outnumbered oathsworn Fyreslayers turning the odds for a contractor by their heated blades alone.”

If an enemy unit within 1” of this unit has more models then give the unit +1 Attacks & +1 damage

Vulkites with Fyresteel Warpicks: “With mercenary guile and a few lava runes turning the Warpicks molten, these warriors hack effortlessly through the realmscape before emerging to hack through the foe with hideous effect.”

Vulkites can do Magmic Tunneling without a Runesmiter and gain 1 mortal wound on 6’s when rolling to Wound.

Something like that.

Edited by Baron Klatz

45 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I might sound eternally negative, but not good, IMO. IF they mega-buff Magmadroths, than Fiery Determination+Blaze of Glory is sort of a thing, for one turn, that you burned an otherwise blah rune on. Keep in mind you're doing this instead of Finest Hour or whatever, too.

Searing Heat is slightly better than the old searing heat, but not nearly as good as it sounds on paper. Pop this rune and throw 40 axes, for example-Half of those miss, 1/3rd of the remaining do MWs, which is like 3-4, and again, you're burning your one turn allegiance ability for this. It's slightly better in melee, but not enough to make Vulkites viable with their coherency problems, especially not Shields and Picks and their...one attack for 170 points problem.

• Like 1

They're not great, admittedly. A buff to be sure - unless FS Bravery is going down, which seems unlikely - but nothing that's going to set the meta alight, let alone make up for the warscroll nerfs.

The Heroic Action in particular seems pretty meh considering you're probably still going to be using Their Finest Hour on someone and whilst getting an enhanced rune is nice, it's rarely that big of a deal even when it's army wide, let alone on a single Hero.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Im reeeeeally tired of once per battle garbage. And part of this 'battle trait' is baked into the luck of rolling a 6.

The ward-rune save should have been an army wide battle trait from the start. Ive been saying that for years.

Most armies should get a 6+ vs mortal wounds anyways tbf.
Idk why they keep adding more and more MWs in order to fix their save stacking? o.O It simply nullifies normal damage.

I like those changes, it's sad that those are locked to an allegiance ability though (I'd love to use some FS mercenaries)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1