AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

39 minutes ago, Snitchey said:

I've managed to get 2 lots of 3 Evocators from soul wars & a multipart kit. So if you were me what would you do. 

1) Keep the 3 Soul wars models as is & use the box to make 2 grandstave models to boost each unit to 5 models & use the spare to build an incantor

2) As per option 1 but instead don't build the incantor. Build a new prime instead from the box set to make the units look more unique ( meaning I don't use one of the soul wars primes)

3) Combine all the models to make 1 unit of 10. Drop one soul wars prime & build the multipart kit with 5 regular models all with Grandstaves   

I always build a prime from each box and make sure to differentiate them in a clear and visible way, that way you can just take them both in the same unit and so long as your army roster indicates which is the prime and you notify your opponent, I'm not aware of any TOs who would take issue.

32 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

That's on my radar as well (once I hobby through everything I already have).  Grandstaves out of the box, convert the extra SW Evocator Prime into another Knight-Incantor maybe.

The more I think of it. The more I think option 1 is a waste. Will I ever need 3 Incantors? Probably not. 

If I go option 3 I can keep the spare SW Prime as a spare to use as 2 units of 5 instead of one unit of 10. 

Converting it using the spare parts from the multipart kit may be an idea. The flame hand could look cool on it

1 hour ago, Snitchey said:

I've managed to get 2 lots of 3 Evocators from soul wars & a multipart kit. So if you were me what would you do. 

1) Keep the 3 Soul wars models as is & use the box to make 2 grandstave models to boost each unit to 5 models & use the spare to build an incantor

2) As per option 1 but instead don't build the incantor. Build a new prime instead from the box set to make the units look more unique ( meaning I don't use one of the soul wars primes)

3) Combine all the models to make 1 unit of 10. Drop one soul wars prime & build the multipart kit with 5 regular models all with Grandstaves 

Option 3

Then buy 2 more boxes for another unit of 10.

Charge into things and delete them.

Repeat. 

4 hours ago, Kuma said:

I know paladins are not Vogue anymore, but I got a box to build, what ones are the best now adays, was thinking Axemen for the new blob meta

Protectors all the way, for various reason.

First, their weapons. Range 3 is formidable. Why ? Because all our auras are now WHOLLY WHITIN. So  you need to pack your troop and play carefully with your moves. Even 10 protectors can launch ALL their attacks while being packed in a very tiny space. It's extremely easy to unleash all their attacks even on a single character, while being in range of your auras.

Their weapon do D6 dmg on a 6 to hit, while before it was a 6 to wound. It's a straight-up buff, the only one received among all the paladin units.

Secondly, their new anti-shooting ability is way easier to use you don't need to cut all line of fire, just be  between your ennemy and the unit he shoot, it affect a ay bigger area (6" around them !) and a +1 save is sometime better than a -1 to hit.

Decimators are worst than evocators even for cleaning hordes (except if they have like 6-7 opponents in range of every axe user) and bad against everything else, even if their bravery debuff can be sometime very handy.  There are not worth it for me, because they ask lot of work to be less useful than many units. I take 5 of them in my skyborne slayers only for the bravery debuff and their ability to still gang-up on a character.

Retributors are so bad that it make me sad

Edited by ledha
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

So guys heres my final 2k list, i will test it on the weekend.  Feel free for critisize.Still dont know which spells to go for. Any tips?

I think that's a superb list. It's roughly close to what I've been playing since 2.0 and I've had so much luck. I'd say you're on the right track.

I am particularly pleased to see the exact same suite of 4 heroes that I'm using, except I'm taking Solbright instead of the regular LAoGC since I had to lose 20pts from my list. How are you finding them? The LAoGC is compulsory for Sequitors as Battleline, and the Castellant is also compulsory (imho) if you're taking 20 Sequitors. Gavriel is the sleeper hit of our codex... but how are you finding taking the Knight-Incantor? If you're using Realm Rules (and the massive added spell list) I think she gets so much better, and having the auto-dispel is so good against that big pivotal debuff on your 20-block of Sequitors.

As for spells, Azyrite Halo on the LAoGC to cast on the 20-block of Sequitors is the most "bang for your buck" - I find I get like 3-5 mortal wounds on big mobs attacking me, and that's waaaay more MW than any of the other spells. Aside from that, I usually play with Realm Rules so I'm more often casting random realm spells than SCE ones. My only thought is to make sure that you have enough units who can cast Speed of Lightning, so that no charges are failed if it can be avoided.

Hello,

I'm coming into Stormcast Eternals after originally being a Fyreslayer player. Needless to say, there's a big difference between a handful of troop options and the absolutely overwhelming amounts of entries the Stormcast Eternals seem to have. I could use a hand in understanding where to go from what I'm receiving, and also what to avoid if at all possible (let's be honest - every book always has a 'trap' unit).

It seems I'll be accepting the Stormcast side of the Tempest of Souls box, as well as the Stormcast portion of the Souls War list (with a few extra Sequitors, all sadly with the mauls and not swords). Essentially, for those who don't want to look over the context of all those boxes, it seems I will be receiving:

• Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-charger
  • Lord-Aquilor on Gryph-charger
  • 2 Knight-Incantor
  • 5 Evocators
  • 8 Castigators
  • 16 Sequitors
  • 2 Celestar Ballista

Where may I go from here? The original idea I had was to be more of the sturdy setup, using healing and saves and naturally stickiness to deal with my opponents, but I'm not overly sure if that is even possible. Any advice is good advice for me right now!

Edited by Apologetic Canadian

5 hours ago, Hoodwizard said:

On the topic of palladins I was thinking 10 or maybe even 5 decimators with vandus command ability spam could be an absolute BUCKET of attacks. With blessed weapons could be scary

Vandus command ability is wasted on Decimators - you want to buff something that has a low number of attacks, but high damage. Decimators are the opposite (already getting a high amount of attacks for low damage) - he is best saved for your GW Seqs/Fulminators/etc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Apologetic Canadian said:

Hello,

I'm coming into Stormcast Eternals after originally being a Fyreslayer player. Needless to say, there's a big difference between a handful of troop options and the absolutely overwhelming amounts of entries the Stormcast Eternals seem to have. I could use a hand in understanding where to go from what I'm receiving, and also what to avoid if at all possible (let's be honest - every book always has a 'trap' unit).

It seems I'll be accepting the Stormcast side of the Tempest of Souls box, as well as the Stormcast portion of the Souls War list (with a few extra Sequitors, all sadly with the mauls and not swords). Essentially, for those who don't want to look over the context of all those boxes, it seems I will be receiving:

• Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-charger
  • Lord-Aquilor on Gryph-charger
  • 2 Knight-Incantor
  • 5 Evocators
  • 8 Castigators
  • 16 Sequitors
  • 2 Celestar Ballista

Where may I go from here? The original idea I had was to be more of the sturdy setup, using healing and saves and naturally stickiness to deal with my opponents, but I'm not overly sure if that is even possible. Any advice is good advice for me right now!

That's a pretty good start - you're 1 box of Evocators away from running a Cleansing Phalanx. Have you decided what type of force you want to play? SCE can be built to really do about anything, so sky's the limit.

11 hours ago, Snitchey said:

The more I think of it. The more I think option 1 is a waste. Will I ever need 3 Incantors? Probably not. 

If I go option 3 I can keep the spare SW Prime as a spare to use as 2 units of 5 instead of one unit of 10. 

Converting it using the spare parts from the multipart kit may be an idea. The flame hand could look cool on it

Yeah I would go options 3. I have 2 lots of the Soul Wars Evocators and a box of multiparts, with another multipart box on the way. Want the option to build a unit of 5 and a unit of 10 or one big unit of 15. The extra Soul Wars Evocator means you can have 16 models and switch between a Prime and a normal Evocator depending on if you run 2 units or one.

Okay list submissions for an upcoming tournament tomorrow and I'm close to finalising a list.

Still unsure which spell to give Astreia, I think Celestial Blades is the strongest option for Evocators. Any thoughts?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Hammers of Sigmar

Astreia Solbright (220)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces

10 x Sequitors (240)
- 5x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces

10 x Evocators (400)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
- 5x Grandstaes
5 x Evocators (200)

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

Only options I'm toying with are:

1. Dropping the Cleansing Phalanx so I can bring the 3rd Sequitor unit up to 10 models.

2. Losing the two purchased command points so I can take a Relictor or 5 Liberators.

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

Okay list submissions for an upcoming tournament tomorrow and I'm close to finalising a list.

Still unsure which spell to give Astreia, I think Celestial Blades is the strongest option for Evocators. Any thoughts?

Hammers of Sigmar

Astreia Solbright (220)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

20 x Sequitors (400)

10 x Sequitors (240)

5 x Sequitors (120)

10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaes
5 x Evocators (200)

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

1. Dropping the Cleansing Phalanx so I can bring the 3rd Sequitor unit up to 10 models.

2. Losing the two purchased command points so I can take a Relictor or 5 Liberators.

As someone who hasn't yet played their Sacrosanct, please let me know how cleansing phalanx goes!

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

Hammers of Sigmar

Astreia Solbright (220)
- General
Lord-Castellant (100)
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

20 x Sequitors (400)

10 x Sequitors (240)

5 x Sequitors (120)

10 x Evocators (400)
- 5x Grandstaes
5 x Evocators (200)

Cleansing Phalanx (120)

A bit one-dimensional for my taste. All infantry, after they drop they will footslog around really slow, and some battlepans require you to redeploy.

Also, no shooting?

Maybe it's a good list, but I'm more for a combined arms approach. Flexibility is always a good thing to have at hand.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

A bit one-dimensional for my taste. All infantry, after they drop they will footslog around really slow, and some battlepans require you to redeploy.

Also, no shooting?

Maybe it's a good list, but I'm more for a combined arms approach. Flexibility is always a good thing to have at hand.

This is exactly why i still play my skyborne slayers. One drop with 7 units ? Teleportation 5" from the ennemy ? Immun battleshock ? Ignoring the "1 unit on the board for each unit in the sky" rule ? THIS is flexbility. You can use it for a first turn alpha strike, or as a defensive tool to prevent a devastating one from your opponent, or teleport on the objective, or in front of his troops to block him in his deployment area as long as possible.

Choosing who stay in the sky or not, and teleport 5" from the opponent also mean you can't loose by being unable to land, because no one can cover enough ground to prevent you to arrive.

And immun battleshock mean your opponent will have to kill everyone to the last model.

Sure, the liberators are mediocre, as well as the decimator, but the judicators, celestant and protectors are still useful to good, and the -1 to hit you the turn you arrive is a enormous buff to the skyborne slayers. I can send my celestant in melee without fear because my opponent have -2 to hit him.

And even better, the skyborne slayers is "only" 1410 pts, so i still have place left to add anything i want. More shooting ? More cavalry ? A stardrake ? Sacrosanct unit ? Everything is possible

Edited by ledha

14 minutes ago, ledha said:

This is exactly why i still play my skyborne slayers. One drop with 7 units ? Teleportation 5" from the ennemy ? Immun battleshock ? Ignoring the "1 unit on the board for each unit in the sky" rule ? THIS is flexbility. You can use it for a first turn alpha strike, or as a defensive tool to prevent a devastating one from your opponent, or teleport on the objective, or in front of his troops to block him in his deployment area as long as possible.

Choosing who stay in the sky or not, and teleport 5" from the opponent also mean you can't loose by being unable to land, because no one can cover enough ground to prevent you to arrive.

And immun battleshock mean your opponent will have to kill everyone to the last model.

Sure, the liberators are mediocre, as well as the decimator, but the judicators, celestant and protectors are still useful to good, and the -1 to hit you the turn you arrive is a enormous buff to the skyborne slayers. I can send my celestant in melee without fear because my opponent have -2 to hit him.

And even better, the skyborne slayers is "only" 1410 pts, so i still have place left to add anything i want. More shooting ? More cavalry ? A stardrake ? Sacrosanct unit ? Everything is possible

Wait, how do you get to ignore the "1 unit on the board for each unit in the sky" rule ?

2 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

Wait, how do you get to ignore the "1 unit on the board for each unit in the sky" rule ?

because they don't teleport using the allegiance ability rules, but the warscroll battalion ability, which has different rules (you set-up 5" and not 9", and around a specific area, and restricted to battalion units, etc)

Edited by ledha

4 minutes ago, Gottkaiser said:

Where can I find the Warscroll for the Skyborne? I see the points in the battletome, but can't find the battalion in the book.

If it isn't in the book, are there other formations I'm missing (too lazy right now to compare points list with battalions).

It's in GA:Order along with Warrior Brotherhood.

1 minute ago, Gottkaiser said:

Ah, good to know. But where does the -2 to hit come from? Shock and Awe gives the enemy -1, the only other modifier I can find are the -1 to shooting from the protectors...

i always take the armor that give -1 to hit to melee attacks on the bearer. It help A LOT for the survival of stormcast heroes in melee.

Basically, i can send him against pretty much everything when he deepstrike (-2 to hit and 3+ save) and he can hold his own after (-1 to hit, but save 2+ with staunch defenders)

Edited by ledha