AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The most exciting part to me as a CoS player is Mortal Auxiliaries. It's potentially a huge shot in the arm giving us access to a lot of cheap options to supplement our elite stormcasts. SCE for the last while have done a lot of work in my CoS armies, now I can look forward to the reverse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

The most exciting part to me as a CoS player is Mortal Auxiliaries. It's potentially a huge shot in the arm giving us access to a lot of cheap options to supplement our elite stormcasts. SCE for the last while have done a lot of work in my CoS armies, now I can look forward to the reverse.

Definitely time to invest in Phoenix Guard lol

27 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Rumor is Dawnbringer crusade CoS is on their way

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, edmc78 said:

Apoloiges for a noob question - do stormkeep armies loose the ability to deepstrike from the holy realm?

Yup so we are still waiting to see what the army composition that still does that "Scions of the Storm" has for extra rules.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but if Vanquishers have REDEEMER they could have a niche of being a high damage unit that can push objectives well.

Did anyone else notice that the 6 paladins in the back have 3 glaives, a starsoul mace, and two axes?

I actually went back and watched the reveal stream and when they showed off Vanquishers, Eddie said they have anti-'horde' rules, saying they get some bonus for fighting units of 5+ and a better bonus for units of 10+!

It's a shame the Liberators lose their half of Shield of Civilization, though it would make them exceedingly strong in this edition, effectively giving them a free All-Out Attack and All-Out Defense if they don't move, and I'd much rather have the triple models for objectives. I'm curious if this means we'll be getting Artifacts/Command Traits for Stormkeep armies and Artifacts/Command Traits for Scions armies, as Staunch Defender obviously does nothing in a Scions list. 

Also has me wondering if Annihilators will be good in Stormkeeps at all, since they wouldn't be able to Scions in and do that initial burst of wounds.

Edited by mystycalchemy
Added more thoughts
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Very unlikely, same for their buddy the Lord Imperitant. 

And I just got done painting both of those units! Welp, that's 350 points off the list.

Edited by Zamik

27 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Tbf we already had this and it didn't lead to anything particularly amazing so far, that's why I hope for some actual synergy that makes playing CoS in SCE as interesting as playing SCE in CoS

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/29/the-stormcast-eternals-become-the-ultimate-defenders-of-the-mortal-realms-in-their-best-battletome-yet/

I really like Shield of Civilization. I weep a bit for Staunch Defender but am a bit excited by its interaction with Shield of Civilization. I like the "angry dragons" rule for getting tougher as it destroys.

As a teaser, its just Stormkeep info if I'm not mistaken?

I hope some of these carry over to the classic Scions of the Storm army. Especially:

"Stormkeep armies may also call upon the aid of Krondys, Son of Dracothian, or his moodier brother, Karazai the Scarred."

Emphasis my own. I hope it's not Stormkeep only. That'd be odd.

So the mortals that proc off Shield, happen in ANY battle round correct? They throw it in at the end and I wasn't sure if these happen on 3 and later, or the entire game...

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

So the mortals that proc off Shield, happen in ANY battle round correct? They throw it in at the end and I wasn't sure if these happen on 3 and later, or the entire game...

I'd expect a bit of debate about this tbh. I could see it taken both ways  but Im leaning to any round.

Even worse for rules debate - there is no 'any'. So technically if you've 2 units carefully placed you might be able to proc it twice for 2D3 mortals?

“In addition” rules are usually just that. They do the thing in addition to everything  that came before those words, unless there is a further restriction.

No restriction here so the mortals work every round.

In addition (hah) the rule doesn’t say within 1” of any Redeemer unit, nor does it say up to one, so I believe it fires for each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like what I'm seeing. Stormcast are looking like they're going to be a little sturdier and a little more deadly in general.

I especially appreciate that they gave Stormkeep armies damage abilities on the defense. I'm also happy that they gave their Redeemers the ability to secure objectives more easily, as it compensates nicely for the fact that the army doesn't benefit from Scions.

15 hours ago, Turragor said:

I am feeling a core of MSU redeemer units (at least 5) with Yndrastra for the regen.

I actually feel like having a group of 10 Vindictors will be good. They can fight two ranks deep (so don’t suffer as much from new coherency) and will be able to take much larger advantage of big buffs. Plus like PrimeElectrid said, the units have to survive till turn 3 to take advantage of objectives outside your territory, and 10 Vindictors will almost certainly be able to do that.

Edited by Champasaur