AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello there fellow Stormcast!

Going to a 1250 pts tournament and I need a bit of help. I'm aware we only have two competitive list, shooty Anvils or Skyborne Slayers. But at 1250 points I don't know if a scaled down version of these list would work.

My list right now is:

Lord Arcanum on Gryph-charger

Knight Incantor

5 Sequitors x2

5 Evocators

5 Castigators

3 Vanguard Raptor with Longstrike Crossbows

This nets with 1200 +1 CP. It has magic, shooting, melee.. I think it is well rounded but I have no experience playing at 1250 so I appreciate any tips or help.

Thanks in advance!

Is there an aggressive build that is more forgiving?  Is it just the Stardrake and blocks of Sequitors?  Evocators, either with Gav or on the Dracolines is expensive.  Still, I could run both?  Something like:

Allegiance: Order
Gavriel Sureheart (120)
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
10 x Evocators (440)
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
3 x Aetherwings (50)
Extra Command Point (50)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

As always, not enough bodies...  Is it too greedy?  I'm just looking for 50/50 middle table sort of list.  I'm an aggressive player so don't just want to just default to the Longbows and ballistas, but I've got a paint scheme I'm considering.

How does this list look, I am new at warhammer, so I don't know how to make a list. What should I take away, and add?

Vandus Hammerhand 

Knight Incantor

Lord Relictor

5x Liberator

5x Liberator

5x Judicator

5x Judicator

2x Evocator

2x Evocator

2x Fulminator

2x Tempestor

1600/2000

On 10/11/2019 at 3:13 AM, xking said:

How would you guys make the stormhost rules and stormcast units better? 

I wish for some of those changes:

Liberators: 
Change 1 (make them weapon profiles comparable to Sequitors): 
Change Hammers (and Grandhammer) To Hit characteristic from 4+ to 3+.
Change Warblades characteristic to 3/4+/3+/-/1 and Grandblade to 3/4+/3+/-1/2. (blades are statically little better then hammers so no +1 to hit when they fight with enemy with 5 or more wounds)
Change 2 (fluff wise)
Add ability to Liberators with Shields: Shieldwall - They can reroll save rolls if they got charged and this unit was out of combat before charge phase (works only at enemy turn).
Add Ability to Liberator with Double Weapons: Liberators with double weapons (no Grandhammer/Grandblades) can reroll hit rolls if target enemy unit has more models than this unit.

Paladins (these changes or bigger cost reductions):
Change 1 (to compensate their slow movement): Change save characteristic from 4+ to 3+.
Change 2 (to make them really heavy infantry): Add ability: Ward against mortal wounds on 5+.

Prosecutors:
Change 1: Add ability: -1 to hit for enemy against this unit if this unit charged this turn
Change 2: Change weapons profiles for Grandblade and Grandhammers like for Liberators.
Change 3: Change Celestial Hammers Damage characteristic to 2.
Change 4: Change Cleaving Blow ability range from 1'' to 2''.

Vanguard-Hunters:
Change 1 (to represent tactical advantage from scouting and feed CP heavy Vanguard lists): If you set up this unit using Astral Compass you gain Command Point (if too OP only one CP per round).
Change 2 (fluff wise): Add ability: Add +1 to hit against war machines.

Hailstorm Battalion:
Change 1: A Hailstorm Battery consists of the following units: 1 Lord-Ordinator, 2-4 Celestar Ballista
Change 2: If all Celestar Ballistas have shot at the same unit that enemy unit gets -1 to Bravery for each Celestar Ballista in the battalion this turn.

Castigators (maybe +10 points after these changes):
Change 1: Change Thunderhead Greatbow To Hit from 3+ to 4+ and Damage from 1 to D3.
Change 2: Add ability: Thunderhead Greatbow gets + 1 to hit if enemy target unit has at least 10 models.
Change 3: Add ability: Thunderhead Greatbow attack ignores additional Save from Cover. (or this effect in Aeheric Channeling instead Rend -2 but also +1 to hit aganist monsters in Change 2)

Ride the wind Aetheric Ability: Remove sentence: This unit cannot charge in a turn in which it Rides the Winds Aetheric.

Edited by Nozdormu
  • Like 4

Hey guys!

I have a friend that wants to get into AoS and wants to start Stormcasts. I have picked up some models from some night haunt box sets and was thinking of donating them to him. I figure if he buys 1 box of sequitors, a battletome, and combines them with the models I am donating, he would get a running start with the following list:

Lord Arcanum on Gryph charger 
Knight Incantor 
Knight Incantor 
5 Evocators 
3 Castigators 
3 Castigators 
1 celestar bastilla 
1 celestar bastilla 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
Total: 1490

My question is how solid is this list for a begining player? I play more horde style armies so elite armies are not my wheel house. As such my gut reaction is that it needs more bodies. My instincts for playing the list would be to split the army into 3 groups. 2 groups with a squad of sequitors, castigators,  bastilla, and knight to hold objectives or apply ranged pressure with a sequitor screen, while the 3rd sequitor screens the lord and Evocators while they go on offense.

I am not really sold on the castigators. On paper they look under whelming. How do you guys find them? I am only using them because I will already have the models. Everything else on the list seems decent (sequitors) to down right nasty (evocators). 

Lastly, any recomendations command traits, artifacts, etc... and what to add to bring it up to 2k would be greatly appreciated 

Castigators are horrible. Ballistae are swingy, even with proper support (Lord Ordinator for example, or Knight Azyros for rr1s). Sequitors are okay for pick up games, Evocators are really strong. Lord Arcanums don't pull their weight in combat, don't send them off.

I think the list might have a lot of shenanigans to forget or get wrong for a new player (Sequitor and Castigator channeling, Cycle of the Storm, extra attacks for Sequitors and Castigators against Chaos and ghosts), but otherwise looks solid to begin with, as there's a bit of everything.

Tipps on building up the list depend on theme and competitiveness. If you wanna run all Sacrosanct, get more of what is there (but drop the Castigators unless you go for the Hailstrike Battery battalion), if you wanna go full bore no friends lists, read back a few pages on Anvilstrike lists.

Edited by Lucur

2 minutes ago, Lucur said:

If you wanna run all Sacrosanct, get more of what is there (but drop the Castigators unless you go for the Hailstrike Battery battalion), if you wanna go full bore no friends lists, read back a few pages on Anvilstrike

@bonzai : Anvilstrike

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18313-aos-2-stormcast-eternals-discussion/?page=207

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18313-aos-2-stormcast-eternals-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=342601

Edited by Maturin

3 hours ago, bonzai said:

Hey guys!

I have a friend that wants to get into AoS and wants to start Stormcasts. I have picked up some models from some night haunt box sets and was thinking of donating them to him. I figure if he buys 1 box of sequitors, a battletome, and combines them with the models I am donating, he would get a running start with the following list:

Knight Incantor 
Knight Incantor 
5 Evocators 
3 Castigators 
3 Castigators 
1 celestar bastilla 
1 celestar bastilla 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
Total: 1490

My question is how solid is this list for a begining player? I play more horde style armies so elite armies are not my wheel house. As such my gut reaction is that it needs more bodies. My instincts for playing the list would be to split the army into 3 groups. 2 groups with a squad of sequitors, castigators,  bastilla, and knight to hold objectives or apply ranged pressure with a sequitor screen, while the 3rd sequitor screens the lord and Evocators while they go on offense.

I am not really sold on the castigators. On paper they look under whelming. How do you guys find them? I am only using them because I will already have the models. Everything else on the list seems decent (sequitors) to down right nasty (evocators). 

Lastly, any recomendations command traits, artifacts, etc... and what to add to bring it up to 2k would be greatly appreciated 

Considering units:

You are right on spot about castigators, they are overpriced for not being a battleline, shorter range than Judicators, less shots than ballista
Ballistas are best when you take 4 of them with LOrdinator
Evocators are great
Incantor is good
Sequitors are good
Lord Arcanum is your "tax" for battleline Sequitors

Usually SCE can do well regardless of the list, but for competetive play your friend will need to go Anvilstrike route.

Hey all, first post here. Have been getting into AoS a bit lately and am looking to try out a new SCE list, one that will hopefully be competitive. I know Anvilstrike is the way to go for competitive lists, but I don’t own those models yet so going to try this out next game. 

Drakesworn Templar

- General: Staunch Defender

- Mount Trait: Thunderlord

- Gryph-feather Charm

- Arc Hammer

Lord Castellant

Knight Heraldor

Battlemage

- Hysh: Pha’s Protection

3x5 Libs

6 Desolators

40 Flagellants 

3 Aetherwings

2000 points on the dot.

So the army is obviously meant to be a hard to shift brick. The Desolator unit isn’t anything new, Castellant and Heraldor both support it really well. Drakesworn makes the list largely for the bow, that buff to hit should be huge for the Desolators. Not sure which weapon to give him, might go the Axe to limit pile-ins. 

The Flagellants are probably the most interesting part of the list. I searched through every ally option trying to find a screening unit that I wanted. I know most use Skinks, but I think Flagellants have a lot of game here. I’m running the Battlemage for Phas Protection, can give any of the three big blocks -1 to hit. 40 Flagellants take up a heap of space, and have enough bodies that the fleeing mortal wounds start to actually matter. 

Between the -1 to hit spell, -1 to hit on the Drake, Staunch Defender and the Castellant, the central brick should hold up to most anything. The Libs will likely start in the sky every game and go after objectives while the brick holds the middle. 

Thoughts on the list? Anyone tried a max Flagellant block with SCE?

Edited by Hodges
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hodges said:

Hey all, first post here. Have been getting into AoS a bit lately and am looking to try out a new SCE list, one that will hopefully be competitive. I know Anvilstrike is the way to go for competitive lists, but I don’t own those models yet so going to try this out next game. 

Drakesworn Templar

- General: Staunch Defender

- Mount Trait: Thunderlord

- Gryph-feather Charm

- Arc Hammer

Lord Castellant

Knight Heraldor

Battlemage

- Hysh: Pha’s Protection

3x5 Libs

6 Desolators

40 Flagellants 

3 Aetherwings

2000 points on the dot.

So the army is obviously meant to be a hard to shift brick. The Desolator unit isn’t anything new, Castellant and Heraldor both support it really well. Drakesworn makes the list largely for the bow, that buff to hit should be huge for the Desolators. Not sure which weapon to give him, might go the Axe to limit pile-ins. 

The Flagellants are probably the most interesting part of the list. I searched through every ally option trying to find a screening unit that I wanted. I know most use Skinks, but I think Flagellants have a lot of game here. I’m running the Battlemage for Phas Protection, can give any of the three big blocks -1 to hit. 40 Flagellants take up a heap of space, and have enough bodies that the fleeing mortal wounds start to actually matter. 

Between the -1 to hit spell, -1 to hit on the Drake, Staunch Defender and the Castellant, the central brick should hold up to most anything. The Libs will likely start in the sky every game and go after objectives while the brick holds the middle. 

Thoughts on the list? Anyone tried a max Flagellant block with SCE?

What about ignax's scales for the artefact? Mortal wounds will still do damage to it, so that 4+ could be a lifesaver. Throw in a Lord arcanum or incantor with azyrite halo on it. Then you dish out mortal wounds back on a 6. 

41 minutes ago, DeathbeforeDishonour said:

Does anybody have any suspicions when a new stormcast Battletome is inbound. I’m going to get one soon but will hold off if one is close. 

I can't imagine it will be soon. Even at an optimistic  guess, I'd say we are more than a year out, if not two.

The current release schedule, as far as I'm aware, goes something like this...

- Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen

-  Bonereapers

- Mawtribes

- Tzeench

- Kharadron Overlords

- Seraphon

I'm sure the order of that might change, but after that you have to consider that a few of the death armies are in need of new releases, if not an overhaul. And I think DoK will be due for endless spells and a book refresh at some point too.

SCE is not really a priority at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

I can't imagine it will be soon. Even at an optimistic  guess, I'd say we are more than a year out, if not two.

The current release schedule, as far as I'm aware, goes something like this...

- Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen

-  Bonereapers

- Mawtribes

- Tzeench

- Kharadron Overlords

- Seraphon

I'm sure the order of that might change, but after that you have to consider that a few of the death armies are in need of new releases, if not an overhaul. And I think DoK will be due for endless spells and a book refresh at some point too.

SCE is not really a priority at the moment.

Id really like some SCE terrain + Invocations if possible. A statue of sigmar that grants either extra CP or defense against MW?

Time for a tournament report!

I played the following list:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (220)
- General
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Pride Leader
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
6 x Evocators on Dracolines (600)

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 111

Game 1 vs old Ironjawz: Focal Points. I screen my Dracolines using the Liberators, the Ballistae battery is in the sky. He teleports a 20-man unit of Ardboyz into the Liberator screen turn 1, along with some Goregruntas. A Mawkrusha boss charges the Castellant's free Gryph-Hound to kill it with a MW charge and then charge into something else. However, he only does 3 mortal wounds, so I save it using the Cycle of the Storm, meaning his entire Mawkrusha is wasted fighting the Gryph-Hound. The Evocators kill some boyz, and in my turn I retreat-charge them using the Heraldor and wipe the boyz. I fail to cast Cogs though, and the Ballistae fail to kill the Mawkrusha, leaving him on 1 wound. My screen is dead, and I have no re-roll save on the Evocators, so now I need the double turn. Luckily I get it and wipe his army down to 5 models at the end of round 2. Max win for me.

Game 2 vs Legion of Grief: Starstrike. Standard Dreadblade Harrow list with a bunch of ghosts. He takes first turn and summons most of his army from gravesites 9" away from my Liberator screen. He makes 2 of the charges and kills like 8 Libs, I kill some ghosts back. Then I retreat-charge the Evocators and kill 20 Harridans and 12 Myrmourns. The Ballistae kill a Knight of Shrouds. I get the double, the Evocators kill 20 Bladegheists, the Ballistae a Guardian of Souls and a bunch of Myrmourns, and the Arcanum another Guardian and nearly another Knight of Shrouds. I now cover 3 of the gravesites and there is a massive terrainpiece preventing charges from the fourth. Now it turns sour, because the 1-wound Knight of Shrouds managed to kill my Arcanum against all odds, freeing up a Gravesite. He teleports the Harrow in, summons a bunch of stuff back, then he AGAIN makes two 9" charges, sandwiches the Evocators and kill my entire army bar the Ballistae. It was all decided on a few strange dice rolls. Epic loss for me.

Game 3 vs Gloomspite Gitz: Places of Arcane Power. List with 60 Stabbas, 40 Stabbas, 20 Shootas, 10 Fanatics, Snufflers, an Arachnarok, Skragrott and some spellcasters and a Loonboss. He lets me go first, I fail to kill the Arachnarok with the Ballistae and take no points. On his turn he moves up and takes a point with the Arachnarok. He gets the double and sends the Fanatics into the Evocators. They roll really badly and I make a bunch of saves, so only 2 die. He also roll snake-eyes on the 40 Stabbas to charge the Gryph-Hound which is standing on an objective, which lets me move up and take the point without charging him. Then the Evocators are let loose and kills half the Goblins. I manage to sneak my Arcanum past his screens to slay his hero holding the middle, taking it for myself. At the end of turn 5 a single Liberator Prime manages to liberate Skragrotts brains from his skull, giving me the win.

Game 4 vs Flesh Eater Courts, Blisterskin. Blood and Glory. 2 Terrorgheists, 30 Ghouls, bunch of Horrors and Flayers and 2 Courtiers. I get first turn, buff up the Evos and establish a massive Liberator screen and shoot 5 wounds off a Terrorgheist with long range with the Ballistae. Then he goes, charges a Terrorgheist and the ghouls into said screen. Of course kills them, but draws the Evocators behind into the combat as well. The Evos obliterate the Ghouls and halves the Terrorgheist. Then I win the initiative, retreat-charge the Evos into the other Terrorgheist while the Ballistae finish off the wounded one. Then it's just clean-up until I hold all four points in round 5. Max win for me.

Game 5 vs Tzeentch, Change Host. Scorched Earth. The nightmare match-up. He gives me first turn, halves the move of the Evocators using the Changeling so they fail their turn 1 charge. The Ballistae kills a unit of Pink Horrors.. In his turn his magic is lackluster (fails infernal gateway, rolls 0 6s on the Purple Sun, Pendulum deals 1 MW etc). I get priority and the Evocators smashes a flank, burning one of his objectives. Then a torrent of blue horrors show up and lock down the entire battleline, which I have to fight my way through. I win priority again, and the Evos burn another of his objectives. It is now looking dire for him, so he charges the Lord of Change into 8 Libs and the Ordinator. He whiffs his attacks and I get him down to four wounds. I get the Arcanum into combat with the LoC as well, but then he gets EXTREMELY LUCKY. He saves five 5+ saves and three 4+ saves in a row and lives with 1 wound. Then summons a whole load of Brimstones into my backline and burns all my objectives. Incredibly frustrating way to end a tournament. In the end we draw.

I end up at 9th place out of 36 with 3-1-1, which is actually quite alright. I only managed to cast Cogs in game 4, I failed to cast them 9 times in a row after that, and then 2 times again in the Tzeentch game. So I succeeded in casting a 7 cast spell once out of 12 tries. That has to be some kind of world record. I love playing with the Dracolines however, they are pure murder machines. If you point them at something when they have gotten their buffs off, that thing will die. The Ballistae disappoint again, they were always a wound off killing important targets. This is the third tournament in a row where they disappoint me. I will let them sit in the shelf for a loooong time now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So I am new at warhammer, so this is my first list, I started with the Thunderstrike Brotherhood set, I took out the 3 man retributor unit, and the flying guys (sorry, I forgot their name).

How about this as a list, I will add more units later. I could not replace Vandus Hammerhand because no Lord Celestants have a Haldesen as their weapon choice, so I made the Haldesen a Thunderaxe. Tell me what I need to add and remove.

Thanks in advance.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (220) (Was Vandus Hammerhand)
- General
- Thunderaxe
- Trait: Tenacious
- Artefact: Obstinate Blade
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Incantor (140)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
2 x Concussors (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)
4 x Evocators (220)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Total: 1680 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 92

Thanks for the feedback guys. One last question for you guys. Evocators on Dracolines? Are they worth the points? 100 points a piece is a lot, but a squad of 6 with a Lord Arcanum supporting would be a wrecking ball of a unit. 

With the input I got, I could see a 2k list potentially looking like:

Lord Ordinator
Knight Incantor 
6 Evocators on Dracolines
1 celestar bastilla
1 celestar bastilla 
1 celestar bastilla 
1 celestar bastilla 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
Total: 1970

Still it seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the feedback guys. One last question for you guys. Evocators on Dracolines? Are they worth the points? 100 points a piece is a lot, but a squad of 6 with a Lord Arcanum supporting would be a wrecking ball of a unit. 

With the input I got, I could see a 2k list potentially looking like:

Lord Ordinator
Knight Incantor 
6 Evocators on Dracolines
1 celestar bastilla
1 celestar bastilla 
1 celestar bastilla 
1 celestar bastilla 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
5 sequitors 
Total: 1970

Still it seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

First time posting on here, so... greetings all, and thanks for all the wisdom you've imparted so far. I'm still quite new to AOS (just picked up Stormcast in June), but I've spent a lot of time studying the subject and felt like I could potentially chime in on this one - I love the Dracoline models personally and have spent a good amount of time reading and crafting lists that include them. I'm sure others in the thread who have more experience will be able to give better advice, but my feeling is:

You may want to consider tweaking the list slightly. Pretty much every Dracoline-heavy list uses the Celestial Vindicators Stormhost, which gives big bonuses on the charge. As such, you should probably include a Heraldor to allow the Dracolines to run and charge. Also, you'd benefit from swapping out the Arcanum on Gryph Charger for the Arcanum on Dracoline - the Pride Leader trait makes your Evos on Dracolines more consistent, and the Command Ability offers more synergy.

From there you're probably okay, though it could still be fine tuned a bit. I'd consider dropping one Celestar and swapping out the Sequitors for Liberators (Liberators are bad, but minimum units probably aren't going to hold up in a real fight either way) to get back some points, and putting in Chronomantic Cogs (to help ensure you make the charge) and Everblaze Comet (because it's just really good).

I feel like I saw a list that was along these lines  that finished around top 15 at a GT in the last couple months, but I can't find it for the life of me. Regardless of how you build it, I get the impression the Dracoline-heavy lists are more of a decent, 3-2 type army than a world beater, but they definitely seem fun! Again, I haven't played a list like this yet (hopefully soon, now that I'm done painting my first 2k points and can buy more models!), so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure that at the very least your list would benefit from a Heraldor and switching from the Gryph Charger general to the Dracoline general. Hope this helps, and hopefully others will be able to offer more input!

Totally agree with @l1censetochill

Kittycators with Celestial Vindicators are really strong on offense (rerolling 1s to hit on charge, CA for +1 attack for all weapons, as opposed to the Lord Arcanum who only grants +1 claws attack). If you get a Chronomantic Cogs off, the Evocators can reroll saves and cast both their spells, supercharging them further. Knight Heraldor for run/retreat and charge is golden, can even enable a turn 1 charge. It also ensures your cats can get their charge bonusses after they got caught.

Lord Castellant is great for +1 save, imo if you invested this much in the unit, you might as well throw another 120 pts at their survivability ;)

What i am most unsure of is the spell on the Lord Arcanum. I tend to run Thundershock because i reeeeaaaally want my cats alive, but then again the range is too short and once it's cast it's still a 4+ to work. Makes me think Stormcaller or Azyrite Halo in the future.