AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

What do you think about this list? I don’t know which grand strategy I have to use…I put tree song on the branchwich bbut maybe is better to the warsong with the vespral gem? 

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
- Glade: Heartwood
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger 
- Artefact: The Vesperal Gem 
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Arch-Revenant (120)
Branchwych (130)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong

Battleline
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)

Units
3 x Revenant Seekers (235)
6 x Spiterider Lancers (420)
- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations
Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113
Drops: 8

14 minutes ago, Alpidur said:

What do you think about this list? I don’t know which grand strategy I have to use…I put tree song on the branchwich bbut maybe is better to the warsong with the vespral gem? 

- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)
- General
Arch-Revenant (120)
Branchwych (130)

Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)

Units
- Reinforced x 1

The list seems really good but you're right about the Vesperal Gem / Regrowth topic.

Regrowth has a long range and a low cast value, so you don't need the Vesperal Gem for it: the Branchwych should have it and the Warsong Revenant should have Treesong to be able to cast it everywhere on the board (thanks to Spellsinger).

But the Warsong Revenant has already +1 to cast and could have a reroll if you play in the Dwindling Season, so do you really need the Vesperal Gem? Maybe an Arcane Tome instead to give him an additional cast?

Edit: you probably want either a Spiteswarm Hive (instead of Purple Sun) or to ally a Battlemage of Ghur (instead of the Branchwych) to give your Kurnoth Hunters +2/3 charge so they have a much more reliable charge after teleporting.

Edited by KarrWolves
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alpidur said:

- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)
- General
Arch-Revenant (120)
Branchwych (130)

Battleline
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)

Units
- Reinforced x 1

Pretty cool list! I can imagine it working with Harvestboon as much as Heartwood with the amount of bugs you have there.

"Take what is theirs" from the GHB is a good one for us, as we can easily be in our opponent territory with our teleports and the bugs.

About the spells, I don't like regrowth very much if you don't have a Treelord variant or Drycha. Your list in particular don't need it much, as both seekers and riders can heal back to full wounds with their ability. I would suggest you take Verdurous Harmony to bring back a extra model if needed. I agree with @KarrWolves on the artefacts, the Warsong should be able to get the important spells out with his +1 and the reroll (unless you regularly face Teclis and Seraphon with higher casting bonuses). Arcane tome is pretty good with the spellsinger to get more use out of it. I also like the accorn with spellsinger when you don't have a TLA as it can give you a extra woods to serve as a portal (and a extra Treesong area as well). The battlemage in place of the wych is also a good suggestion, if you are ok taking allies in your list.

Do you plan on taking battalions? You could go battle regiment for the 1 drop or get a extra artefact + bounty hunters + expert conquerors.

• Like 1

Thank you guys! Yes I have same idea about the vespral gem, so I can change with the arcan tome for the warsong, maybe is much better. I prefere to use only sylvaneth but it’s true the battle age of ghiro is really strong with the extra move…sono think change te purple sun with spiteswarm hive so I can take the triumph also because with tree song maybe the purple sun is simply not really useful…I chose heartwood for the +1 to hit for all the unit. 

I agree with the grand strategy, thank for the suggestion! 

battallions: yes I don’t put there intentionally because I don’t know what I want exactly I like the combo bounty hunter and expert conqueror! Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, Arzalyn said:

Glad to hear it work well! Did you find the Bounty hunters with the treelords useful? I not finding too much GV that it help kill in my games, so I'm starting to considered going back to the 1 drop lists. Also, would you change something in it after your games?

It didn't come up a ton.  One opponent didn't have any GVs (Double Krusha + 9 Pigs).  If I were to run the list again, it'd be a 2-drop.  I know that Spiteswarm Hive is hawt, but don't underestimate the Gladewyrm to multi-heal Treelords and/or block charges. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I tried a blob of 6 Spiteriders with Alarielle, ethereal Durthu with the Crown, some Battleline and a Spiteswarm Hive in Gnarlroot running the Dwindling. It turns out that you can get Spiteriders to fight in two ranks if you perfectly tri-point them, and they're lethal in Bounty Hunters but still quite nasty outside of it. 6 of them shredded right through a 2+ save Katakros (they did about 12 unsaved damage and Durthu did the rest) and were mauling entire 20-blobs of 3+ save re-rolling Mortek Guard with zero difficulty. The utility of strike first in conjunction with other hammers like Durthu or Alarielle is easy enough justification for the unit over Revenant Seekers for those still on the fence about the Lancers. 

Alarielle really does feel better than ever with that simple change letting her self-resurrect because it lets me play a lot more freely with her; the utility she brings with the spells (the Gnarlroot and Dwindling combo work wonders for her) summon and shooting are still very handy, but having such a mobile beatstick (not the best but decent) that can keep up with and support the Lancers is great. It's a nasty one-two punch thanks to the Lancers' strike-first on the charge. In that situation I'm more than happy to be fading the Lancers and leaving her as with save stacking she's quite tough as it is and if not killed outright will just heal back anyway or resurrect on a 2+ on turn four if the worst occurs. 

Obviously Ossiarchs aren't in a great spot at the moment and Morteks' high tankiness does get neutered a bit by Bounty Hunters, but the game did show how a natural Rend 2 on the Lancers is so valuable as even a 3+ re-rolling save counted for naught against them - and that was without a Treesong setup. I think the tradeoff with them and Kurnoths is that it's much easier to get them around the board after fading away, being less reliant on teleports and a Spiteswarm and/or Warsinger to hurry them along, but their output (except as Bounty Hunters) isn't as good. Given that we can never rely on spell combos or endless spells in a tournament where Tzeentch and other strong magic lists abound, I do think the ease of use for Lancers is a big reason to use them over Kurnoths as your main hammer. I'll have to do more testing to really decide which way to lean for events.

Finally, I think going second and keeping the turn order (i.e. not taking the double so you can't get doubled later) with this army is a must. In that game I passed on a double turn into round two for this reason. If you know your opponent will only get 1 turn before your next one, it's much easier to plan your movements aggressively and where you'll strike and fade. You do not want your key pieces getting caught out, as it falls apart quite quickly to actual sustained pressure. This naturally lends itself to the more mobile units, so Alarielle and our cavalry are looking really strong in the right kind of list, otherwise I think you need to make sure your teleports and Spirit Paths are viable/not being blocked and netting you the kills or points you need each turn. 

Lastly, the three 'free' overgrown terrain bits on top of the starting wyldwood make it less of a burden to "get the woods out" than ever, though things like the Acorn and, honestly, the Treelord Ancient to guarantee you get more down to ensure you can spread your "zone of control" are still really valuable. I do think if the meta does stay as Galletian Veterans not being prominent as a sort of soft counter to Bounty Hunters, prioritising the one drop is absolutely key. Go second and don't let yourself get doubled! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, Arzalyn said:

Our FAQ is out and it confirms you can't teleport to the Lady of Vines (and to the kurnoths as well as they basically have the same wording just changing woods to overgrowth).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/i9glN5rI974iVwyu.pdf

They also faq’ed the table quarters question from ghb and confirmed we can place our free wood and subsequent woods in table quarters even though they are objectives. 

• Thanks 1

Greetings my fellow forestLords!  I'm but a green sapling, and will have my first game using the Sylvaneth this week.  Starting things off with my models that are assembled using Oakenbrow: the Treelords, an Ancient, and then 2 of these 3....Lady of the Vines, a Spirit of Durthu and Drycha.  I'm not sure which to use though.

Going to try Roots of Victory Grand Strat, with the Ancient as my general, and I'm leaning towards the Dwindling season, Nurtured by Magic, and Acorn of the Ages.  Hoping to plant little trees all over the place.  Grand Strategies seem to be a strong deciding factor in victory in many battle reports I've been reading lately, and can be tough to get.  

I think Lady of the Vines is a good addition for extra wizardry, a few extra bodies with Dryad summoning.  But then should I take Durthu or Drycha for a beat-stick?  

Looking forward to trying out the new super bright contrast paints for the spirity parts of the tree models.  

IMG20220807120517.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 12:13 PM, Lavieth said:

Is it odd that the Branchwraith is in Warcry but not in the Sylvaneth Battletome?

I would love for them to make a Warscroll for her again, but make her a priest. 

The Warcry rules are about 2 years old now and the Sylvaneth BT is a month old?  

The sculpt is from 2005 and GW is moving out of the Finecast game.  Also they remade Drycha as a larger model and didn't really make a separate sculpt for a generic Branchwraith, they just shuffled things around.

I would much more prefer they fix the Warscroll for Branchwych in tune more with Dryads as an apothecary-like priest.

• Like 1

Here is the list I've been training with recently:

Spoiler

- Glade: Gnarlroot
- Season of War: The Dwindling
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)*
- General
- Command Trait: Spellsinger
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Treesong
Spirit of Durthu (370)*
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius
Arch-Revenant (120)*
Battlemage (100)*
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)**
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)**

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)***
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Revenant Seekers (235)***

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Expert Conquerors
***Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 107
Drops: 9

I've had good results with it but in one game I couldn't summon any Awakened Wyldwoods in the early turns and it did cost me the game: I had nowhere to teleport since my opponent had managed to tag the Overgrown Terrains and he took a lead in victory points big enough so I couldn't come back even with a very strong late game.

That made me wonder if I should include a Treelord Ancient in the list for the Silent Communion ability (summon 1 AWW anywhere on the battlefield).

I came up with 2 lists:

Spoiler

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)*
- General
- Lore of the Deepwood: The Dwellers Below
Treelord Ancient (360)*
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Branchwych (130)*
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
- Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth
Battlemage (100)*
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)**

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)***
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Revenant Seekers (235)***

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Expert Conquerors
***Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Spell

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 106
Drops: 9

Spoiler

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (370)*
Warsong Revenant (305)**
- General
Treelord Ancient (360)**
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
Battlemage (100)**
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)*
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)*

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)*
- Reinforced x 1

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Command Entourage - Magnificent

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Wounds: 100
Drops: 4

I like the idea of having 2 threats (Kurnoth Hunters + Spirit of Durthu) that can impact 2 points of the battlefield (although only one can use Strike and Fade), but I'm not sure Durthu is worth losing the Revenant Seekers and a foot hero (whether it's the Branchwych or the Arch-Revenant).

The other reason I had a Durthu in my initial list was he can teleport with his warscroll ability even if there are ennemies tagging an AWW/OW, but I don't know if it's that important now that I have the Treelord Ancient ability to summon 1 AWW (also the TLA can teleport, but he does a ton less damage).

What's your take? Which of the 3 lists do you think is the best? 

I won't have many training games before the GT I'm attending so all feedbacks are welcome.

Edited by KarrWolves

21 minutes ago, KarrWolves said:

What's your take? Which of the 3 lists do you think is the best? 

I like your first list better to be honest, I played with something pretty similar and it work really well. When you didn't get the wood, it was doing to falling to cast it/it being unbound?

I'm a little underwhelmed by the TLA after using it in some practice games. The free forest is really good, but the rest of the TLA warscroll do very little. One work around I find for the free forest is getting the Acorn as one of the artefacts. Its much easier to fit into a list, specially in a army with so many expensive pieces like ours.

If you are able, try using your first list with it in some of your pratice games. You would need to swap the arcane tome of the warsong for it (it hurts a little, but without him knowing spell lore and just one endless spell I found the extra cast a little too much some times) or you could change the arch-rev for a wych and give it to her, swpping the gladius for it. I would suggest you try changing the tome for it first and see if you miss the 3rd spell too much or not.

Of the other two lists you posted, I like the one with Durthu better. I like having two hammers in a list, even if just one of them will be able to use strike and fade in a turn. 6 kurnoths are pretty resilient, but Its not hard for some lists to finish all of them in one go. In those situations the list with the seekers would have only them has a hammer, and they don't compare to what 6 kurnoths/Durthu can do damage wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

I like your first list better to be honest, I played with something pretty similar and it work really well. When you didn't get the wood, it was doing to falling to cast it/it being unbound?

I'm a little underwhelmed by the TLA after using it in some practice games. The free forest is really good, but the rest of the TLA warscroll do very little. One work around I find for the free forest is getting the Acorn as one of the artefacts. Its much easier to fit into a list, specially in a army with so many expensive pieces like ours.

If you are able, try using your first list with it in some of your pratice games. You would need to swap the arcane tome of the warsong for it (it hurts a little, but without him knowing spell lore and just one endless spell I found the extra cast a little too much some times) or you could change the arch-rev for a wych and give it to her, swpping the gladius for it. I would suggest you try changing the tome for it first and see if you miss the 3rd spell too much or not.

Of the other two lists you posted, I like the one with Durthu better. I like having two hammers in a list, even if just one of them will be able to use strike and fade in a turn. 6 kurnoths are pretty resilient, but Its not hard for some lists to finish all of them in one go. In those situations the list with the seekers would have only them has a hammer, and they don't compare to what 6 kurnoths/Durthu can do damage wise.

How do you setup with your list similar to my first one? Especially where do you setup your initial Awakened Wyldwood?
With the Treelord Ancient, I find it pretty easy: you can setup very defensively and still be able to impact where you want ; without him I feel like you either setup aggressively but it can be dangerous if the enemy takes 1st, or defensively but with the risk of doing nothing in your first round if the opponent gives you first and stays more than 9" away from Overgrown Terrain.

When I didn't get the wood, it was because of a failed cast but it could also be because of strong unbinding opponent in future games (Seraphon, Lumineth etc...).

My issue with the Acorn is the 12" range: if my character is sitting behind an Awakened Wyldwood, the new one I can set up will be so close I'm not sure it's that useful (if it was 18" I would strongly consider it): have you had good success with it?

On 8/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, KarrWolves said:

How do you setup with your list similar to my first one? Especially where do you setup your initial Awakened Wyldwood?
With the Treelord Ancient, I find it pretty easy: you can setup very defensively and still be able to impact where you want ; without him I feel like you either setup aggressively but it can be dangerous if the enemy takes 1st, or defensively but with the risk of doing nothing in your first round if the opponent gives you first and stays more than 9" away from Overgrown Terrain.

When I didn't get the wood, it was because of a failed cast but it could also be because of strong unbinding opponent in future games (Seraphon, Lumineth etc...).

My issue with the Acorn is the 12" range: if my character is sitting behind an Awakened Wyldwood, the new one I can set up will be so close I'm not sure it's that useful (if it was 18" I would strongly consider it): have you had good success with it?

My setup for the initial wood depend a little on how the terrain is set up. I like using it to block some paths if able, but I also depend on which terrains I will be able to choose as Overgrowth and the army I'm facing as well. My rule of thumbs generally are:

1) Try blocking a path with it (mostly for line of sight, but it can help with creating narrow combat paths as well).

2) Try to fill possible gaps the overgrowth terrain will left (you can have a general idea of which terrains you will be able to choose before setting it up).

3) If 1 is not possible and 2 isn't a issue (overgrowth gives you a nice board coverage), place it near a objective you expect to be fighting for or at the back of your deploy as a escape zone (so your opponent don't zone out your strike and fade). Placing it super ahead in your deploy is also a option when you have a spellsinger general you want to keep as far as possible from your opponent.

I totally agree the TLA woods is much more easy to use and flexible, but it has a downside of being expensive compared to the acorn. The TLA wood can be used pretty aggressively, placing it right in front of the enemy deploy or even inside it if they don't zone out during their deploy. If this is something you want to do with your list, the TLA is the unique option to get this reliably. The acorn main job, other than the ones I gave for the initial woods, is giving you another wood for spellsinger to originate. It is much more useful as a zone projection tool than as a offensive one. If you are going second it can work more offensively, but it will depend on your opponent coming forward. Putting in an example,if you want a"place it 3" from the opponent so I can teleport a unit 9" from it and charge + strike and fade" wood  you need the TLA while the a acorn is more of "place it in a part of the board that I wish I have treesong (in your case, ca be other spells) + warsong spell" wood.

Now about setting the bearer, the games I gave the warsong it I deployed it much more aggressively (aka forward) them I generally do. I thing his ward generally prevent him from being shoot of the board, but I didn't face something with super strong shooting (like some SCE or Seraphon lists) to see how well this hold. In general I try to deploy him near overgrowth terrain rather than my initial wood, so I don't end with 2 wood too close to each other.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:15 PM, Arzalyn said:

My setup for the initial wood depend a little on how the terrain is set up. I like using it to block some paths if able, but I also depend on which terrains I will be able to choose as Overgrowth and the army I'm facing as well. My rule of thumbs generally are:

1) Try blocking a path with it (mostly for line of sight, but it can help with creating narrow combat paths as well).

2) Try to fill possible gaps the overgrowth terrain will left (you can have a general idea of which terrains you will be able to choose before setting it up).

3) If 1 is not possible and 2 isn't a issue (overgrowth gives you a nice board coverage), place it near a objective you expect to be fighting for or at the back of your deploy as a escape zone (so your opponent don't zone out your strike and fade). Placing it super ahead in your deploy is also a option when you have a spellsinger general you want to keep as far as possible from your opponent.

I totally agree the TLA woods is much more easy to use and flexible, but it has a downside of being expensive compared to the acorn. The TLA wood can be used pretty aggressively, placing it right in front of the enemy deploy or even inside it if they don't zone out during their deploy. If this is something you want to do with your list, the TLA is the unique option to get this reliably. The acorn main job, other than the ones I gave for the initial woods, is giving you another wood for spellsinger to originate. It is much more useful as a zone projection tool than as a offensive one. If you are going second it can work more offensively, but it will depend on your opponent coming forward. Putting in an example,if you want a"place it 3" from the opponent so I can teleport a unit 9" from it and charge + strike and fade" wood  you need the TLA while the a acorn is more of "place it in a part of the board that I wish I have treesong (in your case, ca be other spells) + warsong spell" wood.

Now about setting the bearer, the games I gave the warsong it I deployed it much more aggressively (aka forward) them I generally do. I thing his ward generally prevent him from being shoot of the board, but I didn't face something with super strong shooting (like some SCE or Seraphon lists) to see how well this hold. In general I try to deploy him near overgrowth terrain rather than my initial wood, so I don't end with 2 wood too close to each other.

Thanks for all the answers! 

I've decided to follow your advice and stick with my original list (with just one little change: Skaeth’s Wild Hunt instead of the Arch-Revenant).

I should be able to play 5 training games by the end of the week and then it will be time to submit the list! 

I'll try to post a feedback after the weekend and also one after the tournament.

• Like 1

I have completed a few more games in the P2G campaign (1-8 right now) but the games are getting much closer. Last game I tested out the Heartwood Glade using the 6+ ward season. Thre following was my army:

Branchwych (acorn, spellsinger)

10 dryads

3 sword hunters

6 bow hunters.

This weeks game was 6 players in 3 teams; attacker, defender and ambusher. I was paired up with another sylvaneth player. The attacker was a combined askaven list of master clan and skrye. The ambushers were stormcast (2 dragons) and soulblight.  Because of the range limitation, ambusher threats and terrain I was never able to get the acorn off. 

I nominated the hpa, stormfiends and stormvermin as my hunters targets. We attempted a first turn charge on the hpa and storm fiends were really lucky to espace the unleash hell taking 4 wounds and then failed 2 charges. In their turn we successfully redeployed away and managed to get far enough where a long charge was needed, whi h they failed. They moved up the big clan rat units and took the lead in obj3ctive points. 

Turn 2 we won priority failed to cast any spells, and played to defensively. I should have move my branchwych to his aww (we were allowing factions to share terrain features), bit I missed that opportunity. If I did that I could have used th3 acorn to set up a woods th4 following turn to threaten 2 objectives. We managed to kill both the hpa and the storm fiends, but unthinking faded away and abandoned thr objective. 

Turn 3 the soulblight player showed up and set up his whole army on my left flank. It was a vampire lord, wight king, terrorghiest, 5 blood knights 20 zombies and radukar the beast. They summoned a bunch of things; 10 directives, 2 units of 10 grave guard, 20 zombies, and 5 black knights. In our turn we took back the left objective, but needed to abandon the other 2 to the skaven to fortify our territory. We managed to kill 6 direwolves, the wight king, vampire lord, and 16 zombies. 

Lost priority on turn 4 and were doubled turned. The dice fell in our favor and thr spulblight player managed to whiff their attacks and failed some easy charges. In this turn the skaven players won the game on command points and fled the battlefield. 

Turn 5 saw us win priority again we needed to clear 10 graveguard, to hold the middle objective for the minor victory and 1 grave guard managed to survive. End was a loss. 

It was another learning experience trying a new Glade. I liked Heartwood because the +1 to hit against the stormfiends and hpa was critical to killing them. However after they were gone, I did not feel like there was enough synergy in my army to support that Glade. I plan to return back to Gnarlroot and revise my list with some of the glory points I have managed to accrue that I've been saving. I'm not a big fan of the limited range on the acorn. When I can start a new quest it will be for another artifact and Im going to select the arcane tome. I picked up the vesperal gem for the next game because I m using a battalion. The places of power healing and verdurus harmony were critical spells that kept my army alive. By the end of the game all I lost was 1 hunter of each variety and a dryad. 

We are now at the 1250 point range and I spent a pile of glory in the aftermath phase to add a warsong revenant, and a unit of drayds (reinforced) and a treelord. I want yo find a way to make dryads work, so for my next games day of 6 games I'm going to use this list. 

- Army Faction: Sylvaneth
     - Subfaction: Gnarlwood
LEADERS
Branchwych (130)
     - Artefacts of Power: Acorn of the Ages
     - Spells: Verdant Blessing, Verdurous Harmony
Warsong Revenant (305)
     - General
     - Command Traits: Spellsinger
     - Artefacts of Power: The Vesperal Gem
     - Spells: Treesong, Verdant Blessing
BATTLELINE
Dryads (200)
Dryads (200)
Tree-Revenants (110)
BEHEMOTH
Treelord (260)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Spiteswarm Hive (40)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 1245/1000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Edited by Lavieth
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lavieth said:

I have completed a few more games in the P2G campaign (1-8 right now) but the games are getting much closer. Last game I tested out the Heartwood Glade using the 6+ ward season. Thre following was my army:

Branchwych (acorn, spellsinger)

10 dryads

3 sword hunters

6 bow hunters.

This weeks game was 6 players in 3 teams; attacker, defender and ambusher. I was paired up with another sylvaneth player. The attacker was a combined askaven list of master clan and skrye. The ambushers were stormcast (2 dragons) and soulblight.  Because of the range limitation, ambusher threats and terrain I was never able to get the acorn off. 

I nominated the hpa, stormfiends and stormvermin as my hunters targets. We attempted a first turn charge on the hpa and storm fiends were really lucky to espace the unleash hell taking 4 wounds and then failed 2 charges. In their turn we successfully redeployed away and managed to get far enough where a long charge was needed, whi h they failed. They moved up the big clan rat units and took the lead in obj3ctive points. 

Turn 2 we won priority failed to cast any spells, and played to defensively. I should have move my branchwych to his aww (we were allowing factions to share terrain features), bit I missed that opportunity. If I did that I could have used th3 acorn to set up a woods th4 following turn to threaten 2 objectives. We managed to kill both the hpa and the storm fiends, but unthinking faded away and abandoned thr objective. 

Turn 3 the soulblight player showed up and set up his whole army on my left flank. It was a vampire lord, wight king, terrorghiest, 5 blood knights 20 zombies and radukar the beast. They summoned a bunch of things; 10 directives, 2 units of 10 grave guard, 20 zombies, and 5 black knights. In our turn we took back the left objective, but needed to abandon the other 2 to the skaven to fortify our territory. We managed to kill 6 direwolves, the wight king, vampire lord, and 16 zombies. 

Lost priority on turn 4 and were doubled turned. The dice fell in our favor and thr spulblight player managed to whiff their attacks and failed some easy charges. In this turn the skaven players won the game on command points and fled the battlefield. 

Turn 5 saw us win priority again we needed to clear 10 graveguard, to hold the middle objective for the minor victory and 1 grave guard managed to survive. End was a loss. 

It was another learning experience trying a new Glade. I liked Heartwood because the +1 to hit against the stormfiends and hpa was critical to killing them. However after they were gone, I did not feel like there was enough synergy in my army to support that Glade. I plan to return back to Gnarlroot and revise my list with some of the glory points I have managed to accrue that I've been saving. I'm not a big fan of the limited range on the acorn. When I can start a new quest it will be for another artifact and Im going to select the arcane tome. I picked up the vesperal gem for the next game because I m using a battalion. The places of power healing and verdurus harmony were critical spells that kept my army alive. By the end of the game all I lost was 1 hunter of each variety and a dryad. 

We are now at the 1250 point range and I spent a pile of glory in the aftermath phase to add a warsong revenant, and a unit of drayds (reinforced) and a treelord. I want yo find a way to make dryads work, so for my next games day of 6 games I'm going to use this list. 

- Army Faction: Sylvaneth
     - Subfaction: Gnarlwood
LEADERS
Branchwych (130)
     - Artefacts of Power: Acorn of the Ages
     - Spells: Verdant Blessing, Verdurous Harmony
Warsong Revenant (305)
     - General
     - Command Traits: Spellsinger
     - Artefacts of Power: The Vesperal Gem
     - Spells: Treesong, Verdant Blessing
BATTLELINE
Dryads (200)
Dryads (200)
Tree-Revenants (110)
BEHEMOTH
Treelord (260)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Spiteswarm Hive (40)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 1245/1000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Since there is no Bounty Hunter Battalion in Path to Glory, your dryads should work just fine: with -1 to hit and wound, they are a very good anvil and they should last very long, especially if you brind D3 back with Verdurous Harmony. 

You might just lack a bit of damage for your next game, depending on your opponent: the only damage dealer in your list is the Treelord and he's not that violent. For your future recruitments, look at either Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes or Swords) or a Spirit of Durthu. The bugs can also fill that role, but they don't hit as hard.

2 hours ago, KarrWolves said:

Since there is no Bounty Hunter Battalion in Path to Glory, your dryads should work just fine: with -1 to hit and wound, they are a very good anvil and they should last very long, especially if you brind D3 back with Verdurous Harmony. 

You might just lack a bit of damage for your next game, depending on your opponent: the only damage dealer in your list is the Treelord and he's not that violent. For your future recruitments, look at either Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes or Swords) or a Spirit of Durthu. The bugs can also fill that role, but they don't hit as hard.

I have been struggling to hold objectives, so my hope is that the dryads will be able to do that. Possibly get lucky with some terrain placements for overgrown near an objective and summon an aww. 

Yup! I've already planned for the next two 250 point blocks. One will be for a unit of sword hunters if not both. I like the idea of trying to put in a unit of 10 spites as well. My concern with the spites is their fragility. Looking at their stats I think they could hit really well, especially buffed by treesong. Then I'm left with the question of do I pick them to be the recipients of fight and fade and hope the hunters can tank a turn if they get stuck in.

Edited by Lavieth

Practice game tonight. 

Drycha

Lady

Durthu - Crown, Ethereal trait

Dryads x 10

Revenants x 5

Bownothi x 3

Scythenothi x 3 

Gossamids x 5

Not a fan of the Bownothi. Tried them because I love the way they look, but they accomplished nothing; thankfully opponent allowed me to build their torsos and leave arms+heads off to see what I think. 

Will be building another 3 Scythes for sure. Rest of the list is pretty fun. Not WAAC, but pretty spikey and unforgiving to opponent due to the Unleash Hell Mortal Wound threats.

Spoiler

- Triumphs:
- Season:

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)*
- General
Spirit of Durthu (370)*
Arch-Revenant (120)*

Battleline
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Greatbows (460)*
- Reinforced x 1

Units
6 x Spiterider Lancers (420)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)*
- Allies

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 65 / 400
Wounds: 113
Drops: 1

This could be a list I'd like to work with, but I don't have much experience with Sylvaneth so far, attending my first 1-dayer in a few weeks.

I learned that Sylvaneth hate to be double turned and overall need to conduct the pace, so that's why I go for Battle Regiment. Which leaves me with just one artifact, would love to have the Arcane Tome on my Warsinger but bringing along Durthu without the Greenwood Gladius seems like a waste (but on the other hand, d3 is in other words just "1" and to mitigate that I could argue that I bring the Arch Rev)

Bows as anvil and artillery plattform, Durthu and Lancers as scalpel, Tree Revs doing Tree Rev things and Aetherwings as cheap screen (Tree Revs are too valuable to use them primarily as screen)

Not sure which season to take, Dwindling and Reaping are my first ideas.

After one weekend of training with the Sylvaneths, I feel pretty good with my list. I really like the Skaeth's Wild Hunt instead of the Arch-Revenant and I've decided to go with Regrowth instead of Treesong. Also changed the Grand Strategy.

The final version:

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Warsong Revenant (305)*
- General
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deepwood: Verdurous Harmony
Spirit of Durthu (370)*
- Artefact: Greenwood Gladius
Battlemage (100)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)**
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)**
5 x Tree-Revenants (110)**

Units
6 x Kurnoth Hunters with Kurnoth Scythes (500)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Revenant Seekers (235)*
5 x Skaeth's Wild Hunt (110)*
- Spell1: Lore of the Deepwood: Regrowth

Spiteswarm Hive (40)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Expert Conquerors
***Bounty Hunters

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 100 / 400
Wounds: 106
Drops: 9

Spoiler

image.jpeg.e1dc09b4eb241175a71880f131ce4cd9.jpeg

They are mostly painted now, just need to do the Awakened Wyldwoods...

As for the games, the only one I've lost was on Realmstone Cache against a Kruleboyz list with the Incarnate: the game was super close (8-8) until round 3 when a combination of a priority roll loss and a bad Cache explosion just sealed the game.

Details:

Spoiler

He scored a big 5 when I could've scored only 2 in the bottom of the round 3 (the objectives landed exactly where he had his 2 main forces: his castle on one side and his incarnate on the other one), and he also scored his grand strategy that round. We just talked it through and there was no way I could come back. But to be fair the main issue was that I didn't have any Wyldwood on the table and it was my fault: although I deployed my Warsong after his entire army, I didn't measure and deployed him within range of unbind (while I could've avoided that easily) and of course Verdant Blessing got unbound 2 rounds in a row.

At the end, pretty happy with the army and the list. Big MVP is the Spirit of Durthu: his ability to teleport even if there is an enemy within 3" of an Overgrown Terrain or an Awakened Wyldwood has been critical and with the +1 to wound from the Skaeth's Wild Hunt he has been dealing quite consistent (and high) damage.

The biggest weakness of the list is the hero phase (but that's also its biggest strength): if you can't cast your spells, the army can't do anything. It's pretty reliable in general with +1/3D6/reroll but when it fails, it hurts.

• Like 2

Sylvaneth was 1/6 of the tournament yesterdy w 3 of 18 players.  And the Alarielle, Durthu, and Lady of the Vines w bunches of Dryads went 3-0 to win it.  Durthu had the Gladius but I'm not sure what season or spell or glade he was using (I'll post the list after I find out).

I've got my old metal trees ready to paint.  Probably i'll try Treelord Oakenbrow to start then go into the Dreadwood with Spite-Revenant spam.  The strike&fade is proving to be an amazing tool and doing it twice with massed MW fishing units seems pretty awesome....especially if a Treelord can fit and do some groundshaking stomp action.

• Like 1