AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Here is the new thread for discussing Sylvaneth. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Sylvaneth in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/1827-lets-chat-sylvaneth/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

• Like 1

I really hope they do. I want slyvaneth to feel a bit stronger in the magic game and now there is precedent of faction specific endless spells if like to see slyvaneth magic get a rework. I mean it still seems ridiculous to me that alarielle gets no bonuses to cast despite being a goddess of life magic but the new nighthaunt wizard gets +3 for putting out a candle...

• Like 1

So my reply for the Allies discussion:

Sisters of the thorn: I didn't know this was possible to simply not attack altogether actually. you are right though it still is good on a TLA with Oaken Armor Or some dryads in cover. If it is worth 220p is the question, since it is basically only buffage, and we allready pay more than 200 points for our wargrove.

The Akhelian Morrsarr Guards look good. I agree on the mobility argument, that they are way more mobile than Kurnoths (if they teleport they need to get off that 9" charge, even with the command reroll thats still a risk). Especially with 14" move and reroll charges they can get to where we need them.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Yoshiya said:

I really hope they do. I want slyvaneth to feel a bit stronger in the magic game and now there is precedent of faction specific endless spells if like to see slyvaneth magic get a rework. I mean it still seems ridiculous to me that alarielle gets no bonuses to cast despite being a goddess of life magic but the new nighthaunt wizard gets +3 for putting out a candle...

You are right, some +for casting would be nice, but I think she is in a good position right now for 600 points with the free treelord/whatever, 3 casting and 3 unbinding.  I guess Ill try to play her with a gnarlroot with loremaster and kill everything with her :D All the magic may be excessive though!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alexxk said:

You are right, some +for casting would be nice, but I think she is in a good position right now for 600 points with the free treelord/whatever, 3 casting and 3 unbinding.  I guess Ill try to play her with a gnarlroot with loremaster and kill everything with her :D All the magic may be excessive though!

Yea, I don't think she's bad at all and I had some decent success with her even before the free summoning. I think magically outside of the three casts she suffers a bit from being designed in a period where casting bonuses seemed pretty rare. Nowadays it seems every new wizard has at least one way to get a casting bonus and thematically it creates a gap where you have relatively minor wizards outcasting a goddess who is supposed to be so strong she created an entire race with her life magic.

I think Throne of Vines is a great shout as her Sylvaneth spell, because of what you are discussing above. Cast that first, then she's still got two more to cast after. 

Also agree that Sisters of the Thorn have held their value. Shield was a hit, but having to attack makes up for it. A TLA from Gnarlroot, with +1 save artefact, can grind out a lot of units just through mortal wounds. 

• Like 1

Another cool combo would be to use a Forest Folk Battalion to move your Branchwraiths up the board on your turn 1 and cast some endless spells deep into enemy territory. Something like the pendulum would be fun, especially if they deployed in a nice line for you. Or the maelstrom so you can have a better chance of shutting down enemy casters

(Credit to Les for giving me this idea at the weekend)

I don’t see my Syl army behaving too differently this edition - command points I feel won’t impact them too much and I don’t feel they’ll rely too much on endless spells. 

Itll be all about their synergy and cheaper units... and Alarielle summoning a big ol Unit the game needs

Just my thoughts 

14 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

I don’t see my Syl army behaving too differently this edition - command points I feel won’t impact them too much and I don’t feel they’ll rely too much on endless spells. 

Itll be all about their synergy and cheaper units... and Alarielle summoning a big ol Unit the game needs

Just my thoughts 

The command benefits dont benefit us much but what they bring to the table as quite amazing: Making that 30 Dryad blocl immune to a battleshock that could destroy them and using alarielles command ability are the best 2 examples IMHO. For the endless spells I agree with you, but I think we are in the top half of the users since we have quite a lot of casts and unbinds!

Alarielle is very very good now though, most likely auto include in any 2k List (since she effectivly just costs 400p since you would take the hunters anyhow, if you summon the TL shes even cheaper).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexxk said:

yeah loremaster is now 140 points and household+gnarlroot 230 so 20 points more than previous gh, i love gnarlroot too  i hope to come up with a good list tho

So I mentioned this in the previous discussion, but I'm coming to the hobby after playing WHFB. I have a collection of Dwarfs, and figured if I use the Ironbark Wargrove that would be an easier way in for me. So my question is which of these do you think would work best with Sylvaneth:

20 Ironbreakers

10 Irondrakes 

2 Gyrobombers

1 Gyrocopter

1 Cannon

2 Organ Guns

1 Cogsmith

2 Runelords

My other stuff is either retired (Slayers and Miners) or too much of a hodgepodge to play WYSIWYG. 

Right now, with the point reductions, I'm leaning towards the unit of 20 Ironbreakers as Sylvaneth seem to lack an elite infantry and the 10 Irondrakes for some shooting support. 

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

@dmorley21 I'm starting off with Ironbark, so think it could work. I agree, I like the idea of 20 Ironbreakers (If you can get them into a Wyldwood, that should be a nice combo!) I actually would combine them with a Runelord - the 6+ ward save on them is cool, as is the boosted dispel, especially now it's 30"! 

The only thing I would note, is these will limit you elsewhere. I don't know what else you fancied taking, but I would put aside Alarielle, for example. 

Treelord: 240
Tree Revenants (2 x 5): 160
Branchwych: 80
Ironbark (inc Household): 180
Ironbreakers: 280 (I think?)
Runelord: 100

=1040 

2 hours ago, Lhw said:

@dmorley21 I'm starting off with Ironbark, so think it could work. I agree, I like the idea of 20 Ironbreakers (If you can get them into a Wyldwood, that should be a nice combo!) I actually would combine them with a Runelord - the 6+ ward save on them is cool, as is the boosted dispel, especially now it's 30"! 

The only thing I would note, is these will limit you elsewhere. I don't know what else you fancied taking, but I would put aside Alarielle, for example. 

Treelord: 240
Tree Revenants (2 x 5): 160
Branchwych: 80
Ironbark (inc Household): 180
Ironbreakers: 280 (I think?)
Runelord: 100

=1040 

Yep, that looks correct.

But with the Ironbreakers acting as an anvil and the summoning abilities of some characters, I think I only need one unit of 10 Dryads which leaves me some room to play with. I'd be looking at a Branchwraith, but I was also considering Alarielle just due to the new emphasis on magic and summoning.

3 hours ago, Lhw said:

I like the idea of 20 Ironbreakers (If you can get them into a Wyldwood, that should be a nice combo!)

I'm away from my book, but afaik the Wyldwoods will still try to kill anything not-Sylvaneth regardless of whether it is allied or not. Is there a specific Ironbark exception that fixes this?

15 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

I'm away from my book, but afaik the Wyldwoods will still try to kill anything not-Sylvaneth regardless of whether it is allied or not. Is there a specific Ironbark exception that fixes this?

I don't know the answer to that. I thought it would hurt them, so I was planning for the Ironbreakers to anchor down an objective/quadrant that is not near a Wyldwood.

Are 20 Ironbreakers really better than 30 Dryads (who are 10 points cheaper)?   They certainly have slight advantages over the Dryads outside of a Wyldwood, but they lose all other Sylvaneth synergy, and don't even count as batteline in a Sylvaneth army. 

38 minutes ago, Kelbesq said:

Are 20 Ironbreakers really better than 30 Dryads (who are 10 points cheaper)?   They certainly have slight advantages over the Dryads outside of a Wyldwood, but they lose all other Sylvaneth synergy, and don't even count as batteline in a Sylvaneth army. 

Maybe not, but it's a more cost effective way for me to get into the game/hobby.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Maybe not, but it's a more cost effective way for me to get into the game/hobby.

Oh yeah, if you already own the minis, then it's a completely different story =).  I missed that in the previous posts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Hi all!! Anyone knows if they are planning to change battletome or release a v 2.0??

I would not expect an overhaul anytime soon for Sylvaneth. Their current battletome is in an excellent place as they are one of the most well rounded and balanced armies. As I see it, they are the first army (chronologically speaking) that ushered in the new power level of armies and as such have remained relevant. Sure, they're starting to slide a little but as a Beastclaw Raiders player Sylvaneth gives me nothing to complain about.

12 hours ago, Alexxk said:

Totally agree with you Alexxk, I think Alarielle is in an incredible spot right now for her cost. Improving her casting with modifiers would put her over the top. In terms of her lore and place in the universe she should be a stronger caster but for her points I think it's too much to ask. Also, agree that 3 casting and unbinds is fantastic even with modifiers.

Just saw this but updating folks on the thread, Branchwraith's spell is confirmed and looks pretty incredible for her point cost. Setup restrictions are very relevant on the dryads but overall she seems like a bargain hero now. This confirms my interest in the harvestboon wargrove. At 100pts +1 to unbind/cast for branchwraiths is awesome and the plus 1 to charge rolls is also powerful. Anyone thought about a harvestboon list?

12 hours ago, Lhw said:

I think Throne of Vines is a great shout as her Sylvaneth spell, because of what you are discussing above. Cast that first, then she's still got two more to cast after. 

Also agree that Sisters of the Thorn have held their value. Shield was a hit, but having to attack makes up for it. A TLA from Gnarlroot, with +1 save artefact, can grind out a lot of units just through mortal wounds. 

Yeah. Throne is nice since she already has a high damage spell available and healing too.. ..

45 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

Just saw this but updating folks on the thread, Branchwraith's spell is confirmed and looks pretty incredible for her point cost. Setup restrictions are very relevant on the dryads but overall she seems like a bargain hero now. This confirms my interest in the harvestboon wargrove. At 100pts +1 to unbind/cast for branchwraiths is awesome and the plus 1 to charge rolls is also powerful. Anyone thought about a harvestboon list?

Don't underestimate the restrictions though. I think it means I'll now always place my wood in the middle near an objective (already did that mostly) since if you place it on a side the enemy might take it and just prevent summoning (like the could do with teleporting which is why I placed the wood in the middle anyway).l