AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Kyyn said:

A question.

Regarding  Endless Spell, Eightfold Doom Sigil, it says that at the end of the turn, the player whose turn is taking place select a STD unit, adding +1 attack until that player´s next hero phase.....

So in case of double turn, this has no effect ?? as that player´s next hero phase would start right after the end of that turn.....

Yeah the Sigil is really bad because of its timing. You are always casting it to get a buff on the next opponent's next turn which means the opponent always has a chance to dispel it before you get any benefit out of it at all. It also means, as you point out, if you get the double turn, any charges on it effectively just expire with no impact. 

Your opponent likes rolling 6's? Not anymore!

Ravagers List

General: Chaos Lord on Karkadrak, Command Trait that gives him +2 wounds, realm artifact that gives -3 rend to his axe (250 pts)

Chaos Sorc Lord, Spell Mask of Darkness to teleport a unit (110 pts)

Daemon Prince - Command Trait -1 to hit in Combat Phase, artifact that increases his aura to 18" (210 pts)

Chaos Warshrine (170 pts)

Chaos Marauders x40 (300 pts)

Chaos Knights x5 (180 pts)

Chaos Warriors x15 (300 pts)

Chaos Marauder Horseman x5 (90 pts)

Chaos Marauder Horseman x5 (90 pts)

Mindstealer Sphiranx (100 pts)

Plaguetouched Warband (180 pts)

1980 pts, 75 bodies, 151 wounds, 8 units, 3 drops

Everyone takes the mark or Nurgle and everyone except the Daemon Prince and Mindstealer Sphiranx is in the Plaguetouched Warband, which means anytime your opponent rolls a 6 to wound they take 1 mortal wound. In addition, you put the Daemon Prince command ability on a unit that is going to be in the thick of things, so anytime your opponent rolls a 6 to hit that unit they take D3 mortal wounds. Furthermore with the general being Nurgle, your units are -1 to hit from range and your heros are -2 to hit from range (Look Out Sir and Nurgle Aura). I think with this list you largely play a game of attrition and sit on objectives, meanwhile you're summoning in Marauders / Marauder Horseman on their backlines 

Edited by BaylorCorvette

6 hours ago, Ellarr said:

If Archaon benefits from other hero's basic aura of chaos, what do we think is the best hero to have as a pocket aura for Archie? I figure it might be the chaos lord on daemonic mount for it's cheaper cost and high movement, but figured it was worth asking.

I plan to run a primarily nurgle legion for Archaon but want to make sure he gets the aura of slaanesh so his 6s explode, FWIW.

A unit can only be buffed by the aura corresponding to their mark. So archaon gets his own buff all the time and cannot get another aura buff because he can only be assigned one mark

13 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Ravagers List

General: Chaos Lord on Karkadrak, Command Trait that gives him +2 wounds, realm artifact that gives -3 rend to his axe (250 pts)

Daemon Prince - Command Trait -1 to hit in Combat Phase, artifact that increases his aura to 18" (210 pts)

Chaos Marauder Horseman x10 (180 pts)

Everyone takes the mark or Nurgle and everyone except the Daemon Prince and Mindstealer Sphiranx is in the Plaguetouched Warband, which means anytime your opponent rolls a 6 to wound they take 1 mortal wound. In addition, you put the Daemon Prince command ability on a unit that is going to be in the thick of things, so anytime your opponent rolls a 6 to hit that unit they take D3 mortal wounds. Furthermore with the general being Nurgle, your units are -1 to hit from range and your heros are -2 to hit from range (Look Out Sir and Nurgle Aura). I think with this list you largely play a game of attrition and sit on objectives, meanwhile you're summoning in Marauders / Marauder Horseman on their backlines 

Plaguetouched seems to require exactly 1 hero and 7 units, so youd need to split up units to run the battalion (maybe this was your intent, but pointing out just for clarity's sake)

2 minutes ago, ccconner777 said:

Plaguetouched seems to require exactly 1 hero and 7 units, so youd need to split up units to run the battalion (maybe this was your intent, but pointing out just for clarity's sake)

Oh yeah should have made that more clear. also forgot a block of 15 Chaos Warriors. The Marauder Horseman are two units of 5. So your 7 mortal StD Nurgle units are: Sorc Lord, Warshrine, Marauders x40, Warriors x15, Knights x5, Marauder Horseman x5, Marauder Horseman x5.

24 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Ravagers List

Chaos Marauder Horseman x10 (180 pts)

I don’t like Nurgle but it seems to have the best abilities 😱

12 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Oh yeah should have made that more clear. also forgot a block of 15 Chaos Warriors. The Marauder Horseman are two units of 5. So your 7 mortal StD Nurgle units are: Sorc Lord, Warshrine, Marauders x40, Warriors x15, Knights x5, Marauder Horseman x5, Marauder Horseman x5.

Does the fact that is says 1 STD hero and not 1+ or 1-x mean that you cant include additional heros as part of the 7 required units? Or can you have a hero as the 1 hero and then include additional heros as part of the 7 units?

3 minutes ago, ccconner777 said:

Does the fact that is says 1 STD hero and not 1+ or 1-x mean that you cant include additional heros as part of the 7 required units? Or can you have a hero as the 1 hero and then include additional heros as part of the 7 units?

The way myself and others read it is: you must have 1 Hero be the "leader" or fill that single Hero slot as a minimum. Then, it just says "7 Mortal Salves To Darkness Nurgle" units. The Chaos Lord, Sorc Lord and Warshrine all have those Keywords (assuming you give them Mark of Nurgle), so I don't see why they cannot be included in that.

Edited by BaylorCorvette

1 hour ago, ccconner777 said:

Yes, single models count as units as well.

The point is to have a minimum of 1 hero and fill out the rest as you wish. Archaeon and Glottkin etcwould all be allowed as "units" 🙂

I run Plaquetouched since it was released even after the Everchosen change

Edited by Kurrilino

34 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Yes, single models count as units as well.

The point is to have a minimum of 1 hero and fill out the rest as you wish. Archaeon and Glottkin etcwould all be allowed as "units" 🙂

I run Plaquetouched since it was released even after the Everchosen change

They all have to be STD keyword i believe. So no Glottkin. Im glad to hear you can put in multiple heros though. That makes it way better.

2 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

A unit can only be buffed by the aura corresponding to their mark. So archaon gets his own buff all the time and cannot get another aura buff because he can only be assigned one mark

Incorrect, but close. Actually the Aura's specifically are "emanating" from the heroes. A hero with multiple Marks of Chaos (ie. Archaon) can exude only one for the remainder of the Battlefield. So Archaon would get his buff 100% of the time, however,  under the text for each of the Auras state there after,  each aura looks for Slaves to Darkness <Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle, Tzeentch> is wholly within 12" of the hero emanating the Aura, then they get the effect. This is to keep any one hero from exuding multiple auras, not from benefiting from multiple auras. 

Aura of Chaos: Each Slaves To Darkness Hero in a Slaves to Darkness army has one of the following Aura of Chaos abilities. The Aura of Chaos a Hero has is determined by its Mark of Chaos keyword. Khorne Heroes have the Aura of Khorne. Tzeentch Heroes have the Aura of Tzeentch. Nurgle Heroes have the Aura of Nurgle. Slaanesh Heroes have the Aura of Slaanesh, and Undivided Heroes have the Aura of Chaos Undevided.

If you select a unit with more than one Mark of Chaos keyword to be part of your army, you must pick which one will apply to that unit for the duration of the battle.

If we look at the Aura of Khorne for example we can infer that the units benefiting from the aura of chaos simply benefit and are not "looking" for the hero. The Aura simply states that any "Slaves to Darkness Khorne" unit "wholly within 12"" gets "x" effect. Since Archaon picks which Aura he exudes and does NOT remove any of the keywords on his warscroll, then he benefits from the effect.

Aura of Khorne: You can re roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made with melee weapons by friendly Slaves to Darkness Khrone units wholly within 12" of this model. In addition, if this model is a general, add 1 to wound rolls for attacks made with melee weapons by friendly Slaves to Darkness Khorne units wholly within 12" of this model.

So we can see that logically, if Archaon had a Khorne Slaves to Darkness Hero, a Nurgle Slaves to Darkness Hero, and a Tzeentch Slaves to Darkness Hero near by him (assuming we take him with the Slaanesh Aura, I mean... come on?!) then Archaon would get the base benefit from each of their emanated Aura's of Chaos whilst only emanating one himself (Slaanesh). 

The text for the auras were written carefully by screen-shotting the book and duplicating it verbatim.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Can you all elaborate why you thing Nurgle is superior to, lets say, Khorne or Slaanesh?

Khorne and Slaanesh have some nice buffs, but when you look at the allegiance buffs, the warshrine buffs, the daemon prince buffs and the battalion buffs, nurgle stands out as the clear best in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Can you all elaborate why you thing Nurgle is superior to, lets say, Khorne or Slaanesh?

In my opinion, I feel that it helps your unit both offensively and defensively.  

With the Hero Aura, you get 6s do +1 dmg and -1 to hit with shooting.

with Warshrine you get the first ability no matter what, ReRoll ALL wounds (so you fish for 6s), and if the unit is Nurgle you get +1 save.

with the Plaguetouched Warband, you get the 6s bounce back MWs.

overall, I’d consider Nurgle to give the best benefits in this book, followed by Slaanesh, and then the other 3 are truely army flavor specific.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Ravagers List

Chaos Warriors x15 (300 pts)

Chaos Marauder Horseman x5 (90 pts)

Chaos Marauder Horseman x5 (90 pts)

The Daemon prince can't have a command trait in a Ravagers list.

20 minutes ago, Wulfrik the Wanderer said:

So we can see that logically, if Archaon had a Khorne Slaves to Darkness Hero, a Nurgle Slaves to Darkness Hero, and a Tzeentch Slaves to Darkness Hero near by him (assuming we take him with the Slaanesh Aura, I mean... come on?!) then Archaon would get the base benefit from each of their emanated Aura's of Chaos whilst only emanating one himself (Slaanesh). 

Huh, good point, though realistically, the only basic auras that are likely to matter are Slaanesh and Nurgle. He's probably already re-rolling hits, wounds, and saves, and doesn't take battleshock, being a single entity, so it doesn't make him that much better.

Edited by Asamu

20 minutes ago, Wulfrik the Wanderer said:

If you select a unit with more than one Mark of Chaos keyword to be part of your army, you must pick which one will apply to that unit for the duration of the battle.

I think you're missing the import of the above-quoted part of the rule.  For a particular battle, Arachaon can only be given one Mark Keyword.

21 minutes ago, Wulfrik the Wanderer said:

Incorrect, but close. Actually the Aura's specifically are "emanating" from the heroes. A hero with multiple Marks of Chaos (ie. Archaon) can exude only one for the remainder of the Battlefield. So Archaon would get his buff 100% of the time, however,  under the text for each of the Auras state there after,  each aura looks for Slaves to Darkness <Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle, Tzeentch> is wholly within 12" of the hero emanating the Aura, then they get the effect. This is to keep any one hero from exuding multiple auras, not from benefiting from multiple auras. 

Aura of Chaos: Each Slaves To Darkness Hero in a Slaves to Darkness army has one of the following Aura of Chaos abilities. The Aura of Chaos a Hero has is determined by its Mark of Chaos keyword. Khorne Heroes have the Aura of Khorne. Tzeentch Heroes have the Aura of Tzeentch. Nurgle Heroes have the Aura of Nurgle. Slaanesh Heroes have the Aura of Slaanesh, and Undivided Heroes have the Aura of Chaos Undevided.

If we look at the Aura of Khorne for example we can infer that the units benefiting from the aura of chaos simply benefit and are not "looking" for the hero. The Aura simply states that any "Slaves to Darkness Khorne" unit "wholly within 12"" gets "x" effect. Since Archaon picks which Aura he exudes and does NOT remove any of the keywords on his warscroll, then he benefits from the effect.

Aura of Khorne: You can re roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made with melee weapons by friendly Slaves to Darkness Khrone units wholly within 12" of this model. In addition, if this model is a general, add 1 to wound rolls for attacks made with melee weapons by friendly Slaves to Darkness Khorne units wholly within 12" of this model.

The text for the auras were written carefully by screen-shotting the book and duplicating it verbatim.

I didnt realize archaon had all the keywords on his warscroll baseline, I assumed he was just marked like everyone else. Thanks for pointing that out! So archaon could have every aura buff (except only one of the general aura upgrades of course) if you had a hero of each mark in your army? Interesting

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I think you're missing the import of the above-quoted part of the rule.  For a particular battle, Arachaon can only be given one Mark Keyword.

But you are forgetting that this little excerpt is under the "Aura of Chaos" part. Also, you are not removing Keywords from a Warscroll anywhere with the Allegiance ability, which is the point I was making. And the Aura's only care about if a Slaves to Darkness <god keyword> unit is wholly within 12". The way to think of this little tid-bit on the allegiance ability is that it limits Archaon's ability if you made him the General, so that you would not have all the General "Buffs" or exude multiple marks onto his lonesome self. This states nothing against his ability to get buffs from his buddies as separate units.

Edited by Wulfrik the Wanderer