AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

That's the problem though, I don't want to run the khorne allegiance, I want to run STD allegiance, so I don't see much use for reavers

Well then, marauders are the way to go. What's the question here? If you want to mark your army Khorne, fine. Take that blood stoker, a couple units of marauders, some knights, and a juggerlord. Do some damage. Bring a warshrine. most of this will be beneficial to jumping on and holding objectives. Chaos warriors are still among the best for this. There's so many options here that I can go on for a long time. In this context, you're right. There's no use for reavers.

I find that running STD without a manticore lord has been kinda rough, my local shop hasn't been able to get a kit for one in for me so i've been using the lord of chaos on foot with the all-favoured mark. I want to refine my STD undivided build so i'm adding a warshrine and chosen. I intend to mark the chosen as nurgle to make it easier for them to give their reroll wounds buff to everything else. I'm having a hard time filling in the heroes to make up every mark (currently running a sorcerer lord, lord of chaos on foot and two champions of chaos) I'm wondering if there are heroes aside from the manticore lord worth investing in to fill those marks or if I should just wait and see for the much awaited darkoath release.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. So, I'm looking to finish up my younger brothers StD in time for the holidays as he's been away at college and unable to actually play. I feel like it would be a suitable present to get everything painted so he would be more inclined to play. Anyway, he has a bit of a focus problem so I tried creating a competitive, yet simple list that won't have him rummaging through warscrolls and remembering overlapping buffs so heavily. What do you think of the below? Not looking to win tournaments, but I want him to have a chance at a local level:

Allegiance: Slaves To Darkness
Chaos Lord On Manticore (250)
- General
- Blade & Lance
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
Skarbrand (400)
- Allies
20 x Chaos Warriors (360)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
10 x Chaos Chosen (280)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 141

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Any list with Skarbrand will give you a chance at a local level!

Yeah... He really liked the large demon models like Skarbrand and Belakor when he first started so I figured that would be enough of a punch while the chaos warriors provided a decent anvil. Considered maybe dropping 5 Knights for 10 more Chaos Warriors, but then no extra CP. Not sure on that tradeoff. 

In terms of this list setup, is it best to give all warriors shields, or something else? 

Leave the knights in as you need something with a bit of speed. Probably better to run as 2 units of 5 but he can make that call after a few games.

Shields are the way to go for the warriors. You might consider halberds on the unit of 20 but if they are already modeled and painted dont worry about it. At the end of the day they are there for objectives, screening and area denying- not to kill stuff. 

• Thanks 1

So I have some questions about the Mark of the All-Favoured artifact. 

Can a Darkoath Warqueen take it and gain all the keywords? It just says the model now has them all.

Also, if I take that artifact with a Daemon Prince will he gain all of the abilities from all of the Marks?

1 hour ago, Somanlius said:

So I have some questions about the Mark of the All-Favoured artifact. 

Can a Darkoath Warqueen take it and gain all the keywords? It just says the model now has them all.

Also, if I take that artifact with a Daemon Prince will he gain all of the abilities from all of the Marks?

From my understanding, yes and yes

2 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

The Daemon Prince won't. 

The abilities on his warscroll aren't reliant on him having a god specific keyword. Mechanically it's a choice that triggers at start of the game. Whatever marks that he may gain after that don't activate additional abilities. 

It appears that this is correct. The DP is given a mark to start the game (or not). Whatever mark is assigned gives him an ability, i.e. +1 sv etc. The artifact would give him the ability to receive buffs that apply from having those other KEYWORDS added to him.

Still pretty powerful with the right list....

Edited by Tasman

How do you guys go about dealing with ranged armies? With the short ranged marauder horsemen being our only way of shooting back I feel we end up pincushions by the time we reach our opponents. I had a game last night against stormcast with double ballistas and lord ordinator bubblewraped with liberators. While my rolls where admittedly terrible for the first couple turns, it still took 3 rounds to break through his front line with warriors and knights/chariots to get to his backline. I allied in an ogrid thaumaturge and used it's fireblast spell to tie up one ballista with horrors but the second one ended up killing 4X it's own cost in warriors and chariots, i had a warshrine hidden behind some cover granting the prayers of tzeench on my tzeench warriors which helped some, but that -2 rend still did a number on them. He also had castigators but they didn't do much too me and died to my warriors. I popped his general with my lord of chaos and got the newly made daemon prince in the back but by then the match had ended and I lost due too my opponent claiming more victory points (because he just camped half the objectives with libs/ballistae and did his lightning shenanigans to quickly grab two other objectives long enough to get easy points). Basically anything i tried moving to take an objective got blasted with double ballista spam and his cheap (for stormcast anyways) screening kept me from reliably disabling both.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

How do you guys go about dealing with ranged armies? With the short ranged marauder horsemen being our only way of shooting back I feel we end up pincushions by the time we reach our opponents. I had a game last night against stormcast with double ballistas and lord ordinator bubblewraped with liberators. While my rolls where admittedly terrible for the first couple turns, it still took 3 rounds to break through his front line with warriors and knights/chariots to get to his backline. I allied in an ogrid thaumaturge and used it's fireblast spell to tie up one ballista with horrors but the second one ended up killing 4X it's own cost in warriors and chariots, i had a warshrine hidden behind some cover granting the prayers of tzeench on my tzeench warriors which helped some, but that -2 rend still did a number on them. He also had castigators but they didn't do much too me and died to my warriors. I popped his general with my lord of chaos and got the newly made daemon prince in the back but by then the match had ended and I lost due too my opponent claiming more victory points (because he just camped half the objectives with libs/ballistae and did his lightning shenanigans to quickly grab two other objectives long enough to get easy points). Basically anything i tried moving to take an objective got blasted with double ballista spam and his cheap (for stormcast anyways) screening kept me from reliably disabling both.

Admittedly rarely play shooting lists with my STD but with other factions it’s either massive amounts of bodies and play the objectives or movement shenanigans. 

We lack the shenanigans. Although if your opponent uses a turn of the ballistas on some marauder horsemen. It’s worth it in my mind. 

So it’s mostly down to massive bodies. More interestingly I think is, what to mark? Tzeentch like you said for better protection or Slaanesh and maybe get the charge a turn earlier? 

Or maybe a big blob of knights? They don’t hit especially hard but they are tanky. But maybe more effective to threaten a flank and get his screening to move then go straight through it. It’s what stormcast do best. Try to get him on his weakness. Movement... after the drop ins of course ;) 

Tbh, I have a hunch that GW will release a new mammoth themselves and it will be the centerpiece model for Darkoath (low-corruption barbarians).

No point in losing/selling a kidney if you are only interested in the Knight/Warrior portion of StD. :P 

4 hours ago, Xasz said:

Tbh, I have a hunch that GW will release a new mammoth themselves and it will be the centerpiece model for Darkoath (low-corruption barbarians).

If 40k Orks still have no plastic Squiggoth (one of the most iconic ork units, especially since Dawn of War 1), I somewhat doubt a plastic mammoth is in the works. Especially since GW and FW seem to have a "no stealing" policy (despite FW not making mammoths ATM). Horus Heresy doesn't count!

52 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

If 40k Orks still have no plastic Squiggoth (one of the most iconic ork units, especially since Dawn of War 1), I somewhat doubt a plastic mammoth is in the works. Especially since GW and FW seem to have a "no stealing" policy (despite FW not making mammoths ATM). Horus Heresy doesn't count!

The important difference is, that the Squiggoth is still manufactured and can be bought from an official website.

3 minutes ago, Xasz said:

The important difference is, that the Squiggoth is still manufactured and can be bought from an official website.

The normal one sure, but not the gargantuan one.

Plus it'd be weird for a plastic mammoth to show up but not a plastic chaos dragon (two headed) which still has no AoS model (despite existing in the fluff)

Edited by kenshin620