AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Agreed.

In all honesty Im not planning on playing my ghosts until they get a new book. Its felt like you have to work very much harder just to hold your own vs the newer armies out there, and its only going to get worse with the Monster rules until we get a re-vamp.

Imho.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bayul said:

Was this whole reply for me? Because I am aware of all of it and came to a different conclusion.

No, I just started with a reply to you and then continued on my wordy crazy train like a man on a street corner trying to convince everyone of a conspiracy.

In all honesty you guys can ignore me. It's probably for the best, anyway.

21 hours ago, Bayul said:

But are you under the impression, that somebody claimed Deathless Spirits does not grant protection from mortal wounds with Empowering Excruciation anymore or KC creates a new ward? Why did you mention this?

Because some of the counter-arguments are suggesting that and I'm entertaining them for the sake of trying to follow all the threads. Even if I don't agree, I won't dismiss anything without giving it a look.

18 hours ago, lare2 said:

Disappointed to see conjecture rear it's head again in relation to the KC. I'm confident it's a 5+ against mortals but can see where people are coming from. Think I'll be running it past TOs beforehand. Their house their rules. 

The end-all of the argument is: Is there a FAQ? If no, then what does your TO say? If there is no TO, then what does your opponent agree to? Are you happy playing a game with whatever that agreement is? If yes, then play. If no, then don't.

Edited by EnixLHQ

6 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Agreed.

In all honesty Im not planning on playing my ghosts until they get a new book. Its felt like you have to work very much harder just to hold your own vs the newer armies out there, and its only going to get worse with the Monster rules until we get a re-vamp.

Imho.

NH is my only army, but I might be in the same boat, too. I likely won't be playing at all until then.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

In all honesty you guys can ignore me. It's probably for the best, anyway.

I'd suggest to make tabula rasa and forget about this. You are obviously frustrated. Focus on other aspects of the hobby for a while until the dust of 3.0 settles. There are no controversial FAQs for painting minis or listening to audio books.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi everyone! I got my first game in a year upcoming and it's gonna be a 2v2 where each of us will bring 1000pts.

I was thinking of bringing the ghosts to try all the new tools. Here's a list I've put up and wanted to get your feedback on it if possible:

Reikenor's Condemned

- Guardian of souls (General -135pts) 

- Krulghast Cruciator (120pts)

- Lady Olynder (215pts)

Units

-2x10 Chainrasp Hordes (190pts)

-2x10 Chainrasp Hordes (190pts)

-1x Chainghasts (70pts)

-1x Myrmourn (75pts)

Basically, I'm looking to create a nice block with the rasps and Chainghasts and KC and GoS to get all buffs from Reikenor's and have them on a 5+ Deathless.

And then having Lady O drop somewhere and do some damage with a screen of Myrmourns (filling point + useful dispel)

What do you guys think of that? Does it make some sense? I could also include the Black Coach instead of Lady O if it's more synergistic.

Edited by Jabbuk

14 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

likely won't be playing at all until then.

If you’ll ever end up in Far North Germany, I‘ll happily play against your „imba fantasy“ rules

🥃🥳👍

but to be honest „insert Khorne-Tourette here“ GW can’t write rules to save their lives

and then one has to read through „YouTube’s how to win an argument“ Latin fancy and step-children Darwin rule inheriting and still under Core rule 14.5 last sentence „MWs are allocated in the same way as wounds and are treated in the same manner as wounds for rules purposes.“ 

I guess the move from 4 pages of rules to 44 pages, a ghbXX and a battletome with each having a faq and a design commentary didn’t make for an easy to play wargame 🙈🤣👻

4 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Does it make some sense?

Sorry, but I see zero damage here.

Cruciator can give 5+++, but who will benefit?

Chainghasts can give rerolls, but who will benefit?

Guardian of souls can give +1 to wound, but who will benefit?

Olynder can dash a mortal rain, but who will protect her?

20 rasps will be deleted to still breathe, even with full rerolls they still can do pathetically low damage.

4 banshees can't do anything. 4 attacks on 4+ is nothing at all.

As for me - Chainghasts are great with bladegheists, Cruciator and Guardian can make a block of 30 reapers even deadlier, Olynder is in great need of Emerald Host and 2x5 hexwraiths. Rasps are great in blocks of 40 as anvil or 10 as suicide squad for next wave of attackers or objective campers. 

At first - add some firepower here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ranzou said:

Sorry, but I see zero damage here.

Cruciator can give 5+++, but who will benefit?

Chainghasts can give rerolls, but who will benefit?

Guardian of souls can give +1 to wound, but who will benefit?

Olynder can dash a mortal rain, but who will protect her?

20 rasps will be deleted to still breathe, even with full rerolls they still can do pathetically low damage.

4 banshees can't do anything. 4 attacks on 4+ is nothing at all.

As for me - Chainghasts are great with bladegheists, Cruciator and Guardian can make a block of 30 reapers even deadlier, Olynder is in great need of Emerald Host and 2x5 hexwraiths. Rasps are great in blocks of 40 as anvil or 10 as suicide squad for next wave of attackers or objective campers. 

At first - add some firepower here. 

Thanks for you input! I would've thought that the Chainrasp would do damage with all the boosts and I'd be able to keep them alive with my spells, etc. I guess I was wrong. I mean the fact they're all on 25mm, I thought they could pretty much all attack.

You can't have Chainrasps as groups of 40 anymore, 30 max. The banshees were Olynder's screen as I had 75pts to fill up.

I'll have another look at it and focus on damage :) Would you prioritize Olynder or Black Coach at this level?

Thanks for the input as well @Neck-Romantic

One of my preferred setups was 2 blobs of 6 spirit hosts and a Torment as my anvil, a unit of 12 myrmourns, 1 to 2 units of 10 bladegheists with a KoSES and Torment as a underworld deploying hammer, with a teleporting Harrow with a Tome packing an Emerald Lifeswarm popping between the two as needed.

Depending on points you can squeeze in a Mourngul or Olynder or what have you. But that was at 2k

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Oh hey; I have a question for those in the know.

Are we getting Priests? They have a slew of new abilities and synergies/anti enemy priest gimmicks....but afaik we dont have any

We don't have any priests no and I haven't seen any preview announcing one either. Yeah some armies just don't have them so far. I also painted 12 Myrmourn recently, just so that I can't field them anymore :(

• Sad 1

I completely forgot about Priest and our lack there of. I was hoping they would give at least one of our characters the keyword but alas. I truly don't understand why GW went and added all these features into the game when entire factions don't have access to them and the ones that do most likely didn't need them to begin with. 

Then there was the WarCom article yesterday talking about how to hunt monsters, all of which our army can't achieve like shooting them or using faction terrain as "bait." Thanks for the tips, GW...

My FLGS wants to try and kick off AoS and get people to participate to grow the community which is great and I will support them, but me and my army will be the proverbial beat stick faction that will get smashed by others except on the extremely rare occasions when the dice favor me, and anyone who has played these games long enough knows that is no way to strategize. Part of me is not looking forward to it. 

Can someone tell me how the Spell Lore enhancement works?

For example, I have Lady Olynder and a Guardian of Souls in a list. As a part of army building I get 1 free Spell Lore enhancement. This "unlocks" the ability to select Spell Lores for all the wizards I might have.

So for Lady Olynder I give her Soul Cage. The Guardian of Souls gets Shademist. Bueno.

But then I work in the Core Battalion Warlord or Command Entourage and select to use the Magnificent ability for 1 additional enhancement. I select Spell Lore again.

Does this mean Lady Olynder can now know Soul Cage and Shademist, while the GoS knows Shademist and, I dunno, Ghost-mist?

30 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

Can someone tell me how the Spell Lore enhancement works?

For example, I have Lady Olynder and a Guardian of Souls in a list. As a part of army building I get 1 free Spell Lore enhancement. This "unlocks" the ability to select Spell Lores for all the wizards I might have.

So for Lady Olynder I give her Soul Cage. The Guardian of Souls gets Shademist. Bueno.

But then I work in the Core Battalion Warlord or Command Entourage and select to use the Magnificent ability for 1 additional enhancement. I select Spell Lore again.

Does this mean Lady Olynder can now know Soul Cage and Shademist, while the GoS knows Shademist and, I dunno, Ghost-mist?

Yep! It’s a really powerful enhancement, especially if you take Cogs.

Also, I should have mentioned this before in here, but I started a new thread for discussing Nighthaunt in AoS 3. A bunch of other factions had one already, so I felt one was needed for the ghosts as well.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

I don't think it works like this. When you select a lore for an enhancement, you unlock all spells for all wizards in your army from that lore. Each wizard is then able to pick one spell from that lore each.

Selecting Spell Lore as an extra enhancement would be pointless as we don't have any others... I suppose you could then choose from the generic ones actually. The way I see it though, it's for tomes that have multiple lores. Soulblight, for example, buying an extra lore via an additional enhancement would net you both necro and vamp lores. 

I could be completely wrong though...

4 hours ago, lare2 said:

I don't think it works like this. When you select a lore for an enhancement, you unlock all spells for all wizards in your army from that lore. Each wizard is then able to pick one spell from that lore each.

Selecting Spell Lore as an extra enhancement would be pointless as we don't have any others... I suppose you could then choose from the generic ones actually. The way I see it though, it's for tomes that have multiple lores. Soulblight, for example, buying an extra lore via an additional enhancement would net you both necro and vamp lores. 

I could be completely wrong though...

It's any Spell Lore, including Generic. You don't pick the Spell Lore, you give each wizard an extra pick.

27.3.4 SPELL LORES
Each time you take a spell lore enhancement, you can pick 1 spell for
each Wizard in your army from any of the spell lores available to that
Wizard (you can pick different spells from different spell lores for
different Wizards). Each Wizard knows the spell that you picked for
them in addition to the other spells they know.

• Thanks 2

So after getting demolished here with my first 1k/tagteam list, I went back to the drawing board and added some damage/focus, as advised.

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain
- Triumphs:
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (135)
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (180)
Krulghast Cruciator (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
6 x Spirit Hosts (250)
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Grimghast Reapers (310)
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 995 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 56

Spirit hosts in a block of 6 with KC to make them tougher, acting as an anvil I can drop on an objective. 20 reapers cruising along with GoS + Pendant of Fell Wind for some speed and damage, to hit from an off angle. Kurdoss dropping in the back line to disrupt, hopefully kill a leader and steal CP. 

Does that make more sense now?

5 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Kurdoss dropping in the back line to disrupt, hopefully kill a leader and steal CP.

Forget Kurdoss. He can't, Just can't. No. 

Literally every other pick for 180 is better. Even 12 stalkers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ranzou said:

Forget Kurdoss. He can't, Just can't. No. 

Literally every other pick for 180 is better. Even 12 stalkers.

The problem is that nothing fits at 180 without either busting the limit or leaving a lot of points on the table. Those new points are sure tricky.