AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Kevlar1972 said:

5 for 60 though, more expensive per wound than blood warriors or flesh hounds, who have much better damage potential.  Good for capping an uncontested objective, but that is about it.

I just was thinking of cheap units to throw out as chaff for cheap blood points, - 12 pts per wound is about as low as it goes,  

These seem like good throwaways to spam for easy Blood Tithe points -?

Furies

Chariots

Beasts

20 minutes ago, kahadin said:

You pay more for throw away units than you would buying the real deal and a proper screen. I really think you can only use summoning as a bonus. I'm not sure there is an effective way to build around it.

Gore pilgrims with 3x blood sacrifice.  You're swimming in blood tithe.  Trade 70 points of reavers for a wrath of khorne thirster turn 2.

The opportunity cost of losing the other blood blessings seems too high to me. 300 points and 3 heroes for a chance at 3 BT per turn. You also have all your SPs clustered up in one place.

Incidentally I would probably sacrifice chaos warriors with shields. They get a save against it and are only a few more points than reavers. They can also do something besides just die a bit better.

5 minutes ago, kahadin said:

The opportunity cost of losing the other blood blessings seems too high to me. 300 points and 3 heroes for a chance at 3 BT per turn. You also have all your SPs clustered up in one place.

Incidentally I would probably sacrifice chaos warriors with shields. They get a save against it and are only a few more points than reavers. They can also do something besides just die a bit better.

This.

Opportunity cost does not seem remotely worth it.

Yeah, i don't understand why people are excited about paying units in point to kill it to summon other units that you could pay for instead and having it turn one without depending of good prayer rolls

why send 140 pts of bloodreavers to their death to gain 2 blood point and summon 5 bloodletters ? I prefer to pay 120 pts for 10 bloodletters, or using the 2 blood point to dispell a powerful spell

3 hours ago, ledha said:

Yeah, i don't understand why people are excited about paying units in point to kill it to summon other units that you could pay for instead and having it turn one without depending of good prayer rolls

why send 140 pts of bloodreavers to their death to gain 2 blood point and summon 5 bloodletters ? I prefer to pay 120 pts for 10 bloodletters, or using the 2 blood point to dispell a powerful spell

I think you are missing the point of the blood sacrifice in a 3 priest gore pilgrims build.  With prayer rerolling and the +1 bonus if you kill someone it's quite possible to turn 70 points of reavers into 7 blood tithe by turn 2.  Which means a single blood tithe point anywhere else on the field will turn those 70 points of reavers into a wrath of khorne bloodthirster that you can deploy anywhere you want in that movement phase.   

You can always sacrifice the priests themselves to build up some points to heal the rest of your army.  The priests heal the damage back along with your all the multiple wound models throughout your army. 

Or send weakened units back to the priests for more demon fuel. 

Adding 500+ free points to a match by turn 4 is a nice boost that many opponents will struggle to overcome.  

48 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Wait, Sorry I’m new - did I miss where Blood Tithe can be substituted or used as Comman Points?  Where is that?

1 Blood Tithe point can be spent to activate 1 Command Ability in the Hero Phase instead of spending a Command Point.

This does make command abilities like the Aspiring Deathbringer, which can only be used at the beginning of the Combat Phase, more dependent on the actual Command Points.

It is the first ability on the Blood Tithe table. You may need to refer to the Khorne FAQ for the change to the first option on the table since the release of AoS 2.0.

Edited by Choombatta
Added where

2 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

3 priest gore pilgrims build.  With prayer rerolling and the +1 bonus if you kill someone it's quite possible to turn 70 points of reavers into 7 blood tithe by turn 2

@Kevlar1972 For those folks who didn’t follow your math, it looks to be the fairly standard usage?

“Blood Sacrifice - If this prayer is successful, pick either the PRIESTor a KHORNE unit from your army that is within 3" of the PRIEST. The unit you picked immediately suffers D3 mortal wounds, but you gain 1 Blood Tithe point.”

And Gore Pilgrims allows rerolls on prayers. And if they kill something they get a +1 on the prayers roll.

So, 3 successful casts of Blood Sacrifice for two turns gives one 6 Blood Tithe. (Is the 7th from the assumed death of the unit?)

@Coyote It’s the first Reward on the Blood Tithe Table ... however it would cause you to loose all remaining Blood Tithe. (ie You can only spend for one Blood Tithe reward.) So expending Blood Tithe is either Summon units or take a reward from the table.

Per the faq “Page 79 – Blood Tithe Table, Bloody Exemplar Change the rules text to:
‘Select a friendly Khorne Hero that has a command ability on their warscroll and immediately use that command ability without spending a command point to do so.’”

@Choombatta And the Expenditure Of Blood Tithe happens in the “start of Hero phase Abilities” per the faq and errata “Page 79 – Battle Traits, Blood for the Blood God! Change the first sentence of the last paragraph to: ‘Unless stated otherwise in the rule for a reward, Blood Tithe points can be expended at the start of either player’s hero phase, but only once per phase.’”

“Q: When can I expend Blood Tithe points in order to use a reward in the hero phase?
A: Blood Tithe points must be expended before your opponent uses any start-of-turn abilities in your own hero phase, or after your opponent has used any start-of- turn abilities in your opponent’s hero phase.”

Edited by TheOtherJosh

4 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

I think you are missing the point of the blood sacrifice in a 3 priest gore pilgrims build.  With prayer rerolling and the +1 bonus if you kill someone it's quite possible to turn 70 points of reavers into 7 blood tithe by turn 2.  Which means a single blood tithe point anywhere else on the field will turn those 70 points of reavers into a wrath of khorne bloodthirster that you can deploy anywhere you want in that movement phase.   

You can always sacrifice the priests themselves to build up some points to heal the rest of your army.  The priests heal the damage back along with your all the multiple wound models throughout your army. 

Or send weakened units back to the priests for more demon fuel. 

Adding 500+ free points to a match by turn 4 is a nice boost that many opponents will struggle to overcome.  

You have a +1 only if the slaughterpriest has slain an ENNEMY model, not a friendly one.

I prefer to use my gore pilgrim to give +1 to hit to my skullreapers of bloodletters and kill the ennemy much faster (hence blood tithe points) while preventing horrors like blades of putrefactions coming into my face than killing my own units to summon a good unit after 3 turn.

You may be a better player than me however, because i could never face my usual opponents with only 4x 10 reavers, 2x5 bloodwarriors and 5 wrathmonger at 1500

Edited by ledha

1 hour ago, ledha said:

You may be a better player than me however, because i could never face my usual opponents with only 4x 10 reavers, 2x5 bloodwarriors and 5 wrathmonger at 1500

You're very humble and polite. You have so much experience, so to be saying that says a lot about you. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ledha said:

You have a +1 only if the slaughterpriest has slain an ENNEMY model, not a friendly one.

I prefer to use my gore pilgrim to give +1 to hit to my skullreapers of bloodletters and kill the ennemy much faster (hence blood tithe points) while preventing horrors like blades of putrefactions coming into my face than killing my own units to summon a good unit after 3 turn.

The priests can cast blood boil and blood sacrifice in the same turn.  They can also charge into melee.  I'm not saying I'm a great player,   just that it is an effective build.  You don't need to kill very many of your own models to build up the blood tithe.  And turning 10 reavers or putting a few wounds on a korgorath or a character out of combat to bring in 20 bloodletters or a bloodthirster isn't a bad trade. 

I feel MSU and blood tithe boosters works better for me and the models I have access to than a bloodletter bomb that often gets charged and wiped out before they can do anything. If I lose a unit or two it's only 70 to 100 pts not 300+, and every unit I lose is helping me bring in more demons.

6 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

The priests can cast blood boil and blood sacrifice in the same turn. 

edit: if taking blood sacrifice then you are losing out on the +to hit buff?

I thought running a bloodletter bomb with max +to hit was one of the most effective strategies for khorne.

Edited by 123lac

2 hours ago, 123lac said:

edit: if taking blood sacrifice then you are losing out on the +to hit buff?

I thought running a bloodletter bomb with max +to hit was one of the most effective strategies for khorne.

I'm not running bloodletters.  I'm running MSU mortals for lots of blood tithe and summoning every turn.

Bloodletter bomb is all your eggs in one basket.  Something gets your bloodletters before they do their thing your game is over before it starts. 

Edited by Kevlar1972
  • Like 1

Hi guys, I was thinking about legion of azgorh as allys and thinking about this list:

Basically thinking about 2 +hit prayers and 1 +1 save prayer

The daemonsmith has a great spell and increases range from 18'' to 24'' for the magma cannons, it can help dispelling endless spells and can deal some extra mortal wounds or repeating saves on our juggis as needed. His other spell is very good 6+ it gives -1 hit and cant run to enemy unit at 36''

And magma canons do not hit or wound they just roll d6 and on 3+ they deal that result on mortal wounds and they add 1 to the result if target has 10+ models

This army consists on 3 tricks

- The priests + magma cannon spam of ranged D6 mortal wounds  with the marauders as screen+objective stacking

- The 3x skullcrushers and the lord giving a good punch with +1 to wound from command and +hits from prayers. On the lord i putted the ethereal amulte and the 5+ special save on combat to make him toughter and survive longer

- The Chaos mammoths diversion

You have a very good ranged skill a good punch, 4x dispellers and can dispell endless. And you have a 20x small bases to sit on objectives

Spoiler
Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Berzerker Lord
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives

Behemoths
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Chaos War Mammoth (320)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

Just in case you dont know about the chaos dwarfs you can check their free pdf at FW legions of azgorh

Edited by Bululu

3 hours ago, Bululu said:

Hi guys, I was thinking about legion of azgorh as allys and thinking about this list:

Basically thinking about 2 +hit prayers and 1 +1 save prayer

The daemonsmith has a great spell and increases range from 18'' to 24'' for the magma cannons, it can help dispelling endless spells and can deal some extra mortal wounds or repeating saves on our juggis as needed. His other spell is very good 6+ it gives -1 hit and cant run to enemy unit at 36''

And magma canons do not hit or wound they just roll d6 and on 3+ they deal that result on mortal wounds and they add 1 to the result if target has 10+ models

This army consists on 3 tricks

- The priests + magma cannon spam of ranged D6 mortal wounds  with the marauders as screen+objective stacking

- The 3x skullcrushers and the lord giving a good punch with +1 to wound from command and +hits from prayers. On the lord i putted the ethereal amulte and the 5+ special save on combat to make him toughter and survive longer

- The Chaos mammoths diversion

You have a very good ranged skill a good punch, 4x dispellers and can dispell endless. And you have a 20x small bases to sit on objectives

Reveal hidden contents
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Berzerker Lord
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives

Behemoths
Chaos War Mammoth (320)
Chaos War Mammoth (320)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

Just in case you dont know about the chaos dwarfs you can check their free pdf at FW legions of azgorh

Unfortunately, unless there is an FAQ somewhere that allows it, you would not be able to take those units as allies in a Khorne army as they lack any of the relevant keywords Khorne can take. You can make a LoA army with Khorne allies, but that would be wildly different, and probably far off the mark of what you wanted to do.

10 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Unfortunately, unless there is an FAQ somewhere that allows it, you would not be able to take those units as allies in a Khorne army as they lack any of the relevant keywords Khorne can take. You can make a LoA army with Khorne allies, but that would be wildly different, and probably far off the mark of what you wanted to do.

Thats  a very good point there, i thought allies were bidirectional. It seams clearly FAQ material. Anyway i wont have any problem using them in my zone meanwhile so if we could still argue about the pros and cons of the list i would like to do it anyway.

1 hour ago, Bululu said:

Thats  a very good point there, i thought allies were bidirectional. It seams clearly FAQ material. Anyway i wont have any problem using them in my zone meanwhile so if we could still argue about the pros and cons of the list i would like to do it anyway.

Unfortunately, they are not (though it is a common and easy mistake to make). Take for example Ironjawz who can take grots as allies, but not the opposite. I don't know if there is a reverse chart for FW factions somewhere (as far as who can take them as allies), but that is what would be needed. Because GW is not going to list FW units or allegiances in any fashion within the GHB ally charts (which does complicate things).

Edited by AverageBoss

So, being a bit of an oldschooler I'm not a big fan of the whole priest/prayer/worship thing going on in Khorne right now.  While Gore Pilgrims definitely seems to be the best battalion I personally find the concept rather un-Khorney.

Skulltake on the other hand I like much better, so I've decided to use that battalion in my army. I'm wondering though, how to best complement its smashyness? I've looked at running an Aspiring Deathbringer and Juggerlord behind them, for example, but now that I think of it I'm not sure I'll have enough command points to activate both abilities each round. Suggestions?

/Bjornas

With the coming of the Beasts of Chaos I was considering a Khorne Beastherd and thought the following could be pretty awesome;

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Beastlord (80)
- Pair of Man-ripper Axes
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Gors (80)
10 x Gors (80)

Units
30 x Bestigors (300)
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Axes & Bullshields
10 x Centigors (160)
10 x Centigors (160)

Battalions
Brass Despoilers (190)

Drops: 6
Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 156

On turn 1 you're looking at bestigor w/a 16+3d6" threat radius. You'll have 2 10-man centigor units with a threat radius of 18"+3d6". Bullgor follow up off that first turn sledge hammer. It's got some screening/backfield protection in the gor is it's needed. Prayers, if they go off, will be nice but they are also there for the dispel. Originally there was a Gore Pilgrim Battalion but I thought the Bullgor would be more useful. Given the unit sizes I could probably get +1 attach and immunity to battleshock for the first wave. 

Thoughts?

Has there been any confirmation that the brass despoilers can be fielded under blades of khorne?   I'm hoping so because I would love to field a cygor or two with the mark of khorne to really stick it to some enemy wizards!  If they have to be fielded as allies it doesn't look as tempting to go buy 2 start collecting boxes.

1 hour ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Has there been any confirmation that the brass despoilers can be fielded under blades of khorne?   I'm hoping so because I would love to field a cygor or two with the mark of khorne to really stick it to some enemy wizards!  If they have to be fielded as allies it doesn't look as tempting to go buy 2 start collecting boxes.

I’m pretty sure they can with that battalion. I don’t know if we can use them as our battle line though since I think they are beasts of chaos battle line, not khorne battleline.

1 hour ago, PUFNSTUF said:

I’m pretty sure they can with that battalion. I don’t know if we can use them as our battle line though since I think they are beasts of chaos battle line, not khorne battleline.

Gor are straight battleline not just brayherd/beast of chaos battleline so they fill that quota too. It's essentially Beastmen w/Blood Tithe instead of herdstone summoning and a bit more aggressive bonuses.