AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Also looks like 3rd parties are gearing up for some gobbo fun (well ok it's probably more for the 40k release, but these are generic to fit in aos!)

Hide contents

goblin-forest-toadstools.jpg

goblin-forest-toadstools.jpg

This!  Hopefully GW will do a fungus terrain decorating kit like the skulls and leaves little boxes.  Then plastic squigs big and small, and maybe new squigs a la the Shadespire/night vault warband.

the lore card in the garbad Shadespire warband says the fungus is spreading!!!

1 hour ago, JRHartleyPool said:

I suspect this may have been answered before but search didn’t find what I was looking for but spears or stabbas? Spears in units of 40 or more? 

I went for stabbas, personally, due to the increased flexibility. A unit of 40-60 grots is huge, and very difficult to maneuver in a way where you'll benefit from the spears. On the other hand, the stabbas will always get close to their maximum amount of attacks, and will have a better hitrate for them. The nets, with their 2" range, can substitute for spears on their own.

In an ideal engagement where you're in range with 90-100% of your eligible models, the spears win out.

In any other engagement, stabbas are better ;)

37 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I went for stabbas, personally, due to the increased flexibility. A unit of 40-60 grots is huge, and very difficult to maneuver in a way where you'll benefit from the spears. On the other hand, the stabbas will always get close to their maximum amount of attacks, and will have a better hitrate for them. The nets, with their 2" range, can substitute for spears on their own.

In an ideal engagement where you're in range with 90-100% of your eligible models, the spears win out.

In any other engagement, stabbas are better ;)

Hmm, I don't look at it in terms of % models engaged, I look at it as "2 inch range is 3 ranks deep, 1 inch range is 2 ranks deep".    So, anytime you have more grots than will fit into combat, you have 50% more attacks with spears vs stabbas.  That said,  with an unbuffered to hit, per stabba you have 50% more hits (to hit of 4 vs 5) .  That goes down if you have to hit buffs.   In that since, I would probably build stabbas (haven't built mine yet!) 

1 minute ago, sorokyl said:

Hmm, I don't look at it in terms of % models engaged, I look at it as "2 inch range is 3 ranks deep, 1 inch range is 1 inch deep".    So, anytime you have more grots than will fit into combat, you have 50% more attacks with spears vs stabbas.  That said,  with an unbuffered to hit, per stabba you have 50% more hits (to hit of 4 vs 5) .  That goes down if you have to hit buffs.   In that since, I would probably build stabbas (haven't built mine yet!) 

I absolutely agree with that :) If we had access to any buffs to hit for our moonclan grots, then the spears would be a no-brainer. As it stands, that 5+ to hit is brutal.

When I did the math, it looked like the 2 options were close to each other in most scenarios, so I went with the option that I liked the look of best (stabbas). Ideally I will eventually have a max unit of both, just for the variety. Most Destruction players have spears because the BfSP Moonclan Grots were very popular for years, so I also like the visual departure of stabbas from the legions of BfSP spears floating around.

One nice thing about playing stabbas is that it is really just a random assortment of melee weapons, so even for someone like me who has a a set worth of BfSP spears,  a dozen spears doesn't really doesn't stick out in a big block of 40 stabbas.  (after all, spears are good for stabbin too)

One thing I'm wondering, do you think one of the Endless Spells will be a Bad Moon? Maybe not THE Bad Moon but some sort of Bad Moon essence? I know it exists in TW:W but that one looks more like a magic squig than a moon (especially since the moon is suppose to be a crescent moon)

The months of dead end leads, empty rumors and shroom-high filled hopes have all accumulated to this teaser. At long last there is some tangible evidence of something coming for the great moon! The question now is, what will be released and when. Right now I'm leaning toward as mixed destruction book with endless spells,  but it could grow to be something more than that. 

What are everyone's guesses on what will be released come (probably) next year?

However with grots prbly getting released soon :P what's your favorite skin colour and general colour scheme for shield and robe?
I have been thinking of doing dark red hoods with black robes. Skin tone i don't know if i like the classic green or the more pale green...
Thoughts? 

39 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

The months of dead end leads, empty rumors and shroom-high filled hopes have all accumulated to this teaser. At long last there is some tangible evidence of something coming for the great moon! The question now is, what will be released and when. Right now I'm leaning toward as mixed destruction book with endless spells,  but it could grow to be something more than that. 

What are everyone's guesses on what will be released come (probably) next year?

I am not sure how it could be a mixed destruction book since the teaser is literally a picture of the Bad Moon and shrooms on the foreground.

well since they say it the next  Battletome to be release, I say it going to be in January-February. it may even be the Christmas release for this year like how Nurgle was last year.

7 minutes ago, Congratz said:

However with grots prbly getting released soon :P what's your favorite skin colour and general colour scheme for shield and robe?
I have been thinking of doing dark red hoods with black robes. Skin tone i don't know if i like the classic green or the more pale green...
Thoughts? 

I think my favorite skin tone is the one that uses Starken green (dark Green) with pinkish highlight and some time I add a red nose on every few models on my lads.

I do actually do like the red hoods and black robes it really flows nicely when I did mine that way.

2 minutes ago, novakai said:

I am not sure how it could be a mixed destruction book since the teaser is literally a picture of the Bad Moon and shrooms on the foreground.

I only add in Destruction because they call the video "Destruction rising" and any other wording on the community post or the video description is vague. It's pretty flimsy reasoning I know but I'm just covering my bases here lol. While Moonclan is clearly involved, they could possibly add in the other tomeless Destruction units as well. Maybe a Fungoid Cave-Shaman managed to rally in other Destruction units together and lead them to glory. Crazier stuff has happened lol. It's all in good fun though. Regardless of what is coming it will help Destruction greatly. 

20 minutes ago, Congratz said:

Thoughts? 

I have 60+ unpainted grots that have been waiting for this moment!!

I have been thinking about making mine hodge podge, very dark almost black colors, blue, purple, red, green, brown, mixed with black, with plenty of nuln oil / agrax.   And the hood maybe a lighter color than the robe for each.  I'll use the shields to tie in more (probably brown and/or/black with yellow moon 

What do you guys think? 

For skin tone I like to start with deathworld forest, shade, and then use elysian green and then highlight with elysian green lightned up with some offwhite

Archived