Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

15 minutes ago, Aginor said:

I know, obviously they suck so much that they need that to be balanced. :D

DoK statewise is also pretty underwhelming but when you put them in their allegiance (battletome). They are a force to be reckoned with.

By the looks of it, SCE going to get "chamber" rules. I wouldn't be surprised if "Hammers of Sigmar" has "Staunch Defender" as its battle trait. Suddenly they don't look so sucky.

Lets wait and see. Another week before it pops up in rumours thread.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that they only effect hammer of sigmar units. The start of chapter tactics? I know there have been some battalions for sce that are themed, will be interesting to see if that carries into the new battletome in a more fleshed-out way. Is this known and I just missed it? In any event, suddenly glad I went gold instead of silver, not that I ever actually Wysiwyg

20 minutes ago, Qaz said:

DoK statewise is also pretty underwhelming but when you put them in their allegiance (battletome). They are a force to be reckoned with.

By the looks of it, SCE going to get "chamber" rules. I wouldn't be surprised if "Hammers of Sigmar" has "Staunch Defender" as its battle trait. Suddenly they don't look so sucky.

Lets wait and see. Another week before it pops up in rumours thread.

Same with my Seraphon. Most units look pretty bad compared to many other armies (especially SCE) but the synergies make them great.

56 minutes ago, Vaeron said:

Interesting that they only effect hammer of sigmar units. The start of chapter tactics? I know there have been some battalions for sce that are themed, will be interesting to see if that carries into the new battletome in a more fleshed-out way. Is this known and I just missed it? In any event, suddenly glad I went gold instead of silver, not that I ever actually Wysiwyg

The running theory for awhile among Stormcast players has been that the next battletome will drop the chamber based mega battalions, and turn the chambers into selectable bonuses ala DoK temples and KO ports.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Make it a threesome.

My main armies are Tomb Kings, Skaven, and Free People. Not a book to be had among them.

Make it four. I play Beatclaw Raiders, Gutbuster Ogors and also Ironjawz. But I also bought some Stormcast models, because I found them cool.  I also sometimes buy models from other factions which I really like from their look to create campaigns were my other friends can fight against them as NPCs.

The other two people who play with me play Darkling Covens and Sylvaneth. The Sylvaneth player was also very interested in Idoneth Deepkin.

I for myself know more people liking aelves than people liking Stormcast. Most of the people I know also don't like the design of the Stormcast helmets.

7 minutes ago, Jgroover said:

They are expecting armies without Wizards to ally them in I think. 

Yes, I don't think (?) there are now any factions with no ability to ally with Wizards (even in GH2017 I believe the three Duardin factions were the only ones where it was flat-out impossible).

4 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

A good guesser?  An observer in the store(s) I have hung out at over the decades?  People who are really good from the start are vanishingly rare.  People who are ushered in to the "scene" from day one with advice from experienced buddies before spending $1 are uncommon - especially when many of those experienced buddies are people like me who won't steer folks away from things they like just because they aren't the most powerful.  People who ease their way in, and stumble on the way, and have something objectively "good" as an eventual second army are common.  People who never even make it in to the scene have to be even more common, as Organized Play numbers surely aren't sufficient to maintain GW on their own.

My point precisely. The new player doesn't know what kind of player they are when they buy their first army because they've only just started playing. But their choice of starting army may very much confine what kind of player they can be. They may pick up a bunch of Swifthawk Agents or similar only to subsequently discover how uncompetitive/unsupported/broken the faction is. If they like playing competitively that's a problem. This why you see all those "good" second armies and why people may feel stung or like they've wasted their money.

9 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

This is not rules relative but there will be a challenge on the 06/30 "We’ve also set Peachy and Duncan a very special challenge – can our two expert painters get a complete Soul Wars set tabletop ready in a day? "

So guys, what do you think?  For me, with my parkinson talented painter skills, it is feasible only if I wanted a picasso like army

Doable in a day?   Definitely.   Quality will suffer.   Base coat 3-5 colors,  dip,  drybrush. 

4 hours ago, Vaeron said:

I got into AoS with Kharadron Overlords and I figured Skyports were "the start".  One cool thing KO got is being able to pick and choose from the different rules to build your own custom skyport, instead of simply renaming one of the premade ones to suit whatever you want. a la 40k 'successor chapters'

While I am not sure they need to embark on a full round of battletomes (though perhaps the oldest armies could use an update) I hope they add this kind of mechanic to most armies, it really adds a nice bit of personalization and reduces 'mirror matches' particularly with the number of Order players in my area.

18 hours ago, Jgroover said:

They are expecting armies without Wizards to ally them in I think. 

Ah ok, what is the cheapest, moneywise, wizard that works good for blades of khorn. I never played with any spellcasters. And is one enough or do you need like 3-4?

Khorne can take Brayherds and Slaves to Darkness (when taken with marks of nurgle and tzeentch) as Allies. This allows you to take the 100 pt brayshaman, 160 pt Chaos Sorcerer (hands out free reroll saves of 1, and his spell makes a unit reroll hits, wounds, and saves of 1) or the 200 point chaos sorcerer on manticore (same handout of saves, spell casts on a 7, but actually successful cast number, you throw that many dice and each 5 is a MW and a 6 is d3 MW). The thing to be wary about is one of the khorne heroes makes all wizards reroll successful casting. 

50 minutes ago, carnith said:

The thing to be wary about is one of the khorne heroes makes all wizards reroll successful casting. 

Unless they change the wording, you can get round it by not planting the Bloodsecrator banner until after your spell casters have done their thing

They've got the first FAQ out and it's got the suggested(sure to me mandatory at tournaments) bases sizes. Sadly they've got some sizes different from the round bases they're actively selling, I see the Cairnwraith and the Grot fanatics(both of whom are going to look as ridiculous on 32mm as the Megaboss does on his giant base). Too bad this means that all tournaments, and not just some will have a hard requirement for round bases based on this, and GW knows it but will probably keep selling kits with square bases and no rounds(all the square base stuff is webstore only and they could do it).

From the FAQ:

"Q: If I add units to my army after a battle has started, and my army has an allegiance ability that adds a keyword to the units in the army, is that keyword received by eligible units I add to my army after the battle has begun? For example, if I have a Stormcast Eternals army and use the Stormhosts rule to give all Stormcast Eternals units in the army the Hammers of Sigmar keyword, would any new Stormcast Eternals units that I add to my army get the keyword?"

Could that confirm Stormhost rules on the new Battletome?

BATTLE ROUNDS
Q: Does the player that first finished setting up their army always choose who has the first turn in the first battle round, or is it only if the roll-off is a tie?
A: The player that first finished setting up their army always chooses who has the first turn in the first battle round, unless specifically noted otherwise in the battleplan that is being used.

That answers that one.

31 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

They've got the first FAQ out and it's got the suggested(sure to me mandatory at tournaments) bases sizes. Sadly they've got some sizes different from the round bases they're actively selling, I see the Cairnwraith and the Grot fanatics(both of whom are going to look as ridiculous on 32mm as the Megaboss does on his giant base). Too bad this means that all tournaments, and not just some will have a hard requirement for round bases based on this, and GW knows it but will probably keep selling kits with square bases and no rounds(all the square base stuff is webstore only and they could do it).

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_base_sizes_en.pdf

Here's the link for anyone else interested. 

Some daft decisions. Darkling Covens dragon on 100mm round, but the same dragon with Dreadlord on the 105 oval (smaller than the Chariot) in Order Serpentis. 

The High Elf dragon has similar issues between their different factions as well. I think they all just go on a 120mm best otherwise they're unbalanced or so big off their base you struggle to get bade to base contact. 

All characters on 25mm, but Made to Order Dreadlord came on 32mm, which suits characters so much more. Look at Tenebrael and Mistweaver too. Understandable however, when you look at the Daughters of Khaine Hag I guess. 

Think I'll be leaving my dragons on 120mm bases, but will have to re-base my Assassins, Fleetmaster and Sorceress I guess... 

Some observations:

- the rules as written for taking first turn WRT who set up first are dreadfully written in light of this FAQ.

- Idoneth Deepkin points increases in the brand new GHB completely reversed. Leviadon remains 380 points.

- Stormvermin points change, however, is unaddressed as far as I can see.

All in all, the fact that there is such a massive FAQ before the new edition is even officially released is... good (in that they moved quickly to address problems) but bad (in that... it's not even released yet and already looks, if not full of holes, at least noticeably threadbare in a few places).

Archived