Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

As I see magic in your strategy:

- no use: then prepare to be magicified

- light defensive: just anti cast units to try to counterspell your oponent. Unbinding unbinding.....

- heavy defensive: just be able to cast some defensive Endless spells

- ligh magic : honnestly, it is probably not worth it

- heavy magic: buy at least 2 offensive (even one defensive) spells. Your strategy need several wizzards, and chaff/units to protect them: they are your damage dealer and probably your heaviest instment

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Aginor said:

I also wonder: will we have to choose the spells beforehand or just reserve points and decide during the game which ones to use?

I'd assume they are part of your list.

Don't think the endless spells are very powerful (but they seem to be quite fun). They have pretty high casting costs and are bit random, so I wouldn't count too much on them. Some spells might be nice add-ons for wizards that have otherwise a purpose, but wouldn't probably ever take a wizard just for casting those spells. The utility spells seem to be the best. Of course if you get the d6 mortal wound spell cast so that it goes through multiple units, it's going to be fatal, but it's also quite hard to pull.

I can imagine that quite often the casting wizard is trying to dispel his own predatory spell to be able to cast it again as it wanders around somewhere in the corner of the table doing nothing :)

5 minutes ago, Mayple said:

@Jamopower

I agree on the utility spells. They look way more useful than most of the damaging ones. I'm very curious about the chain-trap looking spell. It seems like it could be a good tool to bring.

I saw the warscroll for that. From what I remember, you set one up and then set up two others in a  6" radius around it. Enemies within X" (can't remember) half their movement. It gets better in the realm of Death. I think it had a casting value of a 5. 

3 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Do we know yet if we pick a realm & get there lores as part of a list yet, or is that only for open / narrative, etc

Hasn't it been clear for a long time that the spells are based where the battle takes place and the artefacts based on where your army is from. Thus I don't believe the spells will see much play outside casual gaming.

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

As I already said, MAGIC is a choice. You'll have to invest in it or the effects will be random at best. But if you invest correctly, it can be deadly and effective.

It just is that you can't usually invest on being able to cast those spells better. Investing on spells that have casting value of 8+ without wizards that get bonus to casting is bit of risky. Now on the other hand if you have Nagash in your army, sure having a spell or two in your list isn't a bad idea.

1 minute ago, Jamopower said:

Hasn't it been clear for a long time that the spells are based where the battle takes place and the artefacts based on where your army is from. Thus I don't believe the spells will see much play outside casual gaming.

I hope that's true - more artefacts is good.

It could only have been better if you picked realm for your army and got both, but narratively I guess it makes no sense to get Ulgu spells/abilities if you're actually fighting in Aqshy. 

8 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I hope that's true - more artefacts is good.

It could only have been better if you picked realm for your army and got both, but narratively I guess it makes no sense to get Ulgu spells/abilities if you're actually fighting in Aqshy. 

I kinda think more artefacts is unnecessary as i expect there to be one or two standouts that are auto-includes rendering all the rest pointless... but kt would be nice to be wrong!

Do we know anything about any Rules of one?

As it stands, rule 1, 2, 4 and 5 are already in the new core rules. (page 8 -Casting Spells, 7 - Rolling Attacks, 1 - Roll-Offs, 17 - Artifacts of Power)

I've got the feeling they will be a thing of the past.

4 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

I kinda think more artefacts is unnecessary as i expect there to be one or two standouts that are auto-includes rendering all the rest pointless... but kt would be nice to be wrong!

If you play a Battletome-less army, more of anything is appreciated! But yes, point taken. It will be nice to have some choice or at least a bit of a quandary of artefact to choose between! 

29 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I saw the warscroll for that. From what I remember, you set one up and then set up two others in a  6" radius around it. Enemies within X" (can't remember) half their movement. It gets better in the realm of Death. I think it had a casting value of a 5. 

It only halfs their movement on a 3+ though.

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

"When you’re writing your lists, you’ll have the option to purchase endless spells using points, with matched play profiles found in both the Malign Sorcery book and the General’s Handbook 2018.

And in other purchasing news - huge if true!  It could mean that you could purchase Malign Sorcery in hard copy, and GH digitally, and still get the endless spell functionality in the app via GH without having to double-purchase Malign Sorcery digitally as well..

2 hours ago, Jamopower said:

No, endless are bought regardless of realm and it's clear from the scrolls, too, as they get more powerful depending on the realm.  It's still up in the air if you can pick your other realm spells.

Archived