Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

I think they are strange army, I will spam 3x30 Thralls just because they are most effective. 

Also debuffs are great but 12“ range isn't amazing as your are usually :

A) exposed 

B) in unbid range 

So sure those spells are powerful but with huge drawbacks. 

I think army I came up with is very strong but ID will suffer greatly against DoT and Seraphonwith little tools to give DoT a hard fight. Also they could be in great trouble against Fyreslayers. That doesn't mean bode well for them tournament-wise but Briomdar Thrall spam back up by Sea Aspect is our best shot in my opinion. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I feel that we need some ways around the crazy reroll spam as well, like with the 1+ save star drake with warding lantern that heals on a 5+ and rerolls dish out mortals. I kinda expect everyone to be weak to that though. Saw a really good death list get dunked on because of it.

i think it's a bit too early to really define what we would be good against and what we wouldn't be though, as most of the models haven't even surfaced yet. Until we get a lot of games In with all the units I feel then we can see where this goes.  

Side note, does anyone know of any trident bits floating around out there outside of the AoSea and the prosecutors? I really wanna make a conversion of my own volturnous with my king.

56 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Side note, does anyone know of any trident bits floating around out there outside of the AoSea and the prosecutors? I really wanna make a conversion of my own volturnous with my king.

Lord on Skycutter has a really good one too :D

5 minutes ago, Knight of Ruin said:

I prefer polearm. Better rend, and very solid damage on the charge. And a king should never be charged with his movement and allegiance abilities.

Polearm is just better always. What do you mean allegiance abilities?

34 minutes ago, BlackthornMagus said:

So I'm kinda just assuming here, but we *are* getting eels next week, right? Anyone know the cost?
I'll be honest, I don't care much for the Namarti. I'm LOVING the Akhelians though. Paint scheme plotted, army planned, tactics everywhere. I'm too excited.

Nope.

Isharann.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/22/coming-next-week-the-isharann-doom-lords-and-van-saar/

3 hours ago, christophe said:

the Lord of Afflictions has a big one.... https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Lord-of-Afflictions-2018

Ooooo That's a nice one! gotta look for those bits then!

3 hours ago, Harioch said:

Lord on Skycutter has a really good one too :D

I saw, but unfortunatly it's lefthanded, which means I have to do extra work that I would rather not do. but, it seems I will anyways after I get this dude!

anyone know any third party places?

10 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I think I will test this army first as it looks quite potent 

Briomdar 

Aspect of The Sea + Born from Agony + Arcane Pearl 

Tidecaster 

Soul Scrye 

3x30 Thralls 

6 Ishalean Riders 

Great mobility thanks to enclave, General has 14 wounds with extra protection, Thralls are highly mobile thanks to enclave and/or Soul Scrye, strong magic 

No brainer if Icon Bearers aren't FAQ soon. 

Those Thralls will wreak havoc. 

Weakness? In some battles planes it could be tricky, Duality will be a big challenge. 

Bravery but with Aspect and Inspiring Presence I should be good to go. 

With Tidecaster I can reverse Tides and deepstrike whole 3 units in Turn 2. I'd rather take 30 Thralls then 6 Morssar. 

What made you change your mind on Reavers? 

@Amradiel I didn't change my min on Reavers, as I will probably play them as Daughters of Khaine will be my go-to tournament army (as I think that they are better army considering competitive play) but I wanted to build as strong competitive army as I could with ID so I sat down with Battletome for few hours and :

Thralls are hands down the best unit in Battletome, also they are the best hammer in Battletome. So it was easy choice to build an army around them. 

Weakness :

1) lack of mobility (compared to other units) - Soul Scryer, Briomdar ability 

2) low bravery - Aspect ability with Icon Bearers

I think this list also can work well against Seraphon, Changehost and KO (but it remains to be seen). 

Also after much thinking I will take an Aspect but for 440 he isnt the best "deal" as he should be used mainly to support your units and that's huge price for 2 spells and bravery boost, 2 Tidecasters can also cast two -1 to hit spells , but since he boost bravery so much he is must have in any heavy thrall army. Also I made him extra resilient with 14 wounds and 5++ 

Thralls are just much better then anything else with Soul Scryer and Briomdar ability 30 of them is much better then 6 Morssar (and also has 6 wounds more) and this army is build to use their strenghts  and cover weaknesses. 

Also I think  Ionarch and Briomdar are hands down the best enclaves (as they do not force you to take spells and give you bonuses you can't get from other tools in Deepkin army) and Briomdar for Thralls is amazing + makes easier to deepstrike with Soul Scryer.

What's more this army is 138 wounds which is very good especially with first turn cover bonus + extra save from Shipwreck.  

8 hours ago, Circus of Paint said:

Oh yeah didn’t catch that!

Do you think originally it might of been 2-4 Thralls for the battalion before they bumped it up to 2-6?

It doesn’t make sense to me for Mor’phann to have more Reavers since that is Briomnar’s enclave bonus. I would of thoaught they would of liked to make sure each battalion enclave bonus is different!

Could be. I still think it makes sense that it's Reavers, though, as they can also benefit from the Soulrender's ability. Hell, I'd love it to be changed to 1-2/3 Soulrenders can be included in a Mor'Phann Namarti Corps.

8 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

Someone told me that they had faq’d that you can’t take more than 1 banner and/or musician, but it appears I was lied to. I’m sure they’ll fix that soon though. Clearly the unit isn’t supposed to have 30 extra attacks.

I've just built 2 per box since they allow the option to build 2 but I'm not going to go out of my way to build my own on every guy as they will be fixed in a couple weeks ^^

Hey all, long time AoS player but first post today!!!

I've been playing BCR for awhile now and am planning on expanding to a new army, i.e. Idoneth. I've read through the tome and most of this thread and have laid out the following 1k list. If anyone has some constructive feedback I'd greatly appreciate it! Eventually this list will expand to 2k, I will add and drop some stuff, but I feel this is a solid 1k list.

Mor'phann

1 x Akhelian King w/polearm + Cloud of Midnight

1 x Tidecaster (General) + Inspiring Presence + Mor'phann Spell (must take)

1 x Soulscryer

1 x Soulrender

20 x Thralls

3 x Morsarr Guard

980/1000 pts

Basic plan for most games is to setup the King, Soulscryer, and Morsarr Guard off the table. Then place 20 Thralls plus Tidecaster and Soulrender on the table with heroes engulfed by the group. If I go turn one, advance the Thralls and characters toss Mystic Shield on the group and try to end in cover or whatever. Turn two comes around which is when the off table group lands and tries to charge with the help of the Soulscryer. Thralls continue their advance and if in range Tidecaster is throwing out the -1 to hit and damage spell. King and Guard act as a temporary hammer while Thralls advance supported. Before the off table stuff comes on I'm basically asking the opponent to unload on the Thralls so I can bring them back. Thoughts? I have a few fears, first, I have no one to leave behind to camp objects. Second, I have 540 pts in characters so the army has little fluff. Finally, I'm doing well in most phases of the game minus shooting, the only ranged attack is from the Soulscryer.

An alternate to this would be to swap the King for Volt and the Morsarr for Ishlaen Guard, which is 1000/1000 pts.

Clarification Question - is the gloomtide shipwreck setup at the start of the game similar to Wyldwood? Since the ship can be split into two parts, I assume these can be separated by any amount of distance?

Just realized I have to take Volt and Ishlaen Guard above to give me two battleline in 1k, so alternate list must be taken which raises the following concern...

Bravery on the Thralls could be a real issue if a bunch get killed turn one from shooting and spells.

6 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

I've just built 2 per box since they allow the option to build 2 but I'm not going to go out of my way to build my own on every guy as they will be fixed in a couple weeks ^^

Probably best to stick to that. If abuse is seen, it'd get FAQ'd to 1 per 5 like how the night gobbos gets only 4(?) Netters and the grundstock thunderers can't stack specials more than once per 5. 

Hi all,

first time poster and brand new to AoS.  Played 40k for as long as I can remember and played fantasy a bit with a HE army. I stayed out of AoS until I saw what they did with Aelves at which point I thought maybe I will get on board. Anyway the models have come out and they are even better than I had hoped, thus here we are...

having not played this at all but having watched a few games I notice that most of the game is often over by end of T3 (it is in 40k too) and that most major charges happen in T2. Also, the difference in combat phase being that charging doesn’t guarantee striking first (unlike 40k) makes me think that we actually want most of our units charging in round 3 (bearing in mind we always strike first), is that a good idea?

so based upon tides, strategy would be;

T1 - maneuver hammer/ anvil units and shoot using cover to help negate enemy shooting. Spells to buff survivbility or slow enemy if possible.

T2 - similar to the first but it is likely that some anvil units (thinking defensive eels here)  have to charge to prevent faster elements from the opponents army attacking you. Spells to continue to receive cover if required or deal mortal wounds to faster enemy elements 

T3 - main assault, hammers hit key targets all across the line making use of maximum damage output in combat phase due to old fashioned ASF. Spells and abilities to buff damage output this turn.

T4 - if it is already over then mop up (hopefully don’t get mopped up); if it is not then remaining hammers withdraw from combat and charge again to either pick new targets or to get charge bonus again (offensive eels); magic to buff damage output

what do people think of this as an idea, is it workable at all?

cheers,

Just played first 2k game against good Khorne list (banner + priests battalion with 80 letters + 20 reavers + big dude with even bigger axe + whips for bloodletter bomb). We played Scorched Earth. My friend deployed aggressively and I, on the other hand, as far away from him as the table allowed me to to avoid the first turn letter bomb giving mortals on 3 to hit.

He started, double whipped 30 letters, rolled 5 on run, so moved them 11" + 5", but my shipwrecked made a narrow bottleneck pass with another building, so he couldn't maximise the move. With his +6" to charge bonus, he needed 7 on the dice to charge my models - he rolled 6. Great. My turn. 6 Morrsarr Guard unit destroyed the letter bomb in single charge and were free to go further into his territory. In was the right flank, the left flank of my army played very defensively, moving only to grab the objectives. I won the roll for the second turn, the Morrsarr unit with run + charge took the second unit of 20 letters off from the objective, burnt it and even with his 30 letters ripping apart my 30 thralls, I had the game with second objective burnt on turn 4.

tl;dr Morrsarr on charge are the king, baby. Regular king with -1 to hit in combat artifact can block so many threats. Place the shipwrecks carefully and always bring two full units of them.

My list is somewhere up, but, to summarize, i brought a King, Aspect of the Sea (range 12" spells are harsh, used them only once, for the wholle battle I was casting shield and bolt), 6 Morrsarr, 3 + 6 Ishlaen, 30 Thralls, Tidecaster and a Knight Venator in Fuethan enclave.

And I got another game, with KO clown car, scheduled on thursday...

Archived