S133arcanite

• Tidecaster (General) - 100
  • Soulscryer - 100
  • Aspect of Storm - 400
  • 30 Namarati Thralls - 360
  • 6 Morrsarr - 320

This is what I theory crafted as a decent list, unsure what artefacts and spells would be used though.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

guess??? alittle measurement. So his skill is 24" away, and your models can be 12" away from the scryer. Then you have to be more than 9" from the enemy models. So saying you drop your unit 9" away from the enemy units +12 the scryer can be away thats a good 21" away from the enemy unit. He isn't that abandoned. That and depending on where the objectives are or if they are hero specific objectives, i'd try to get him to work on that issue.  He is also a the best ritual caster right??? So you might also want to get him in a spot to where he can be the one to cast the ritual next turn to buff your edolans. 

That's all true - I guess the Wanderers comparison probably wasn't fair as that often involved large units with shooting, whereas here we're probably talking about 3 or 6 eels, or 3 eels and a shark for melee.  Also ,Wanderers can keep doing it each turn if they need to ( and are still alive ).  Need to foster my Idoneth mindset :)

48 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:
  • Soulscryer - 100
  • Aspect of Storm - 400
  • 6 Morrsarr - 320

This is what I theory crafted as a decent list, unsure what artefacts and spells would be used though.

Something similar of what Im planning...

I am seriously thinking on not making this army because I thought it would be an army with huge beasts, high points value and great damage but with the battletome on my hands I feel like its an army that "is not bad, but neither is great on anything". There's no unit I really like or I say wow! (But I love how they look all)

Things maybe I will go: AoSea, Volturos, maybe a king too, soulscryer, tidecaster, thralls, reavers and 2 units of eels... so bye to my monsters army

I don't see the point on allopex, neither on reavers... and starting not to see anything on eels... I hope tomorrow to see more things

1 hour ago, JonnyTheKing said:
  • Soulscryer - 100
  • Aspect of Storm - 400
  • 6 Morrsarr - 320

I think any Thrall heavy list has to be Mor'Phann and if that has some give, certainly having a Soulrender does not.  Bigger groups of Thralls are even better to bring back models because they will weather incoming damage enough so that a unit remains to be refilled. 

So, I managed to get a proxy game in today using the rules, and I gotta say I did well* 

it was open war, an ambush like setting with my list being a unit of 6 spear eels, 2 units of Sheelds, a tide caster and volternous. Opponent was 15 liberators, a Lanturn duder and a stardrake, with me on the edges and him in the middle of a 4x4. He had no clue what I did so I took turn one and... well... I managed to get the charge off with everything but volty and tidy, and get a turn 1 charge. I wiped out a whole unit of liberators before they got buffed up with the spear elves and a unit of shield eels, and the star drake literally ate the other unit after his turn. 

He got the next turn and managed to charge my spear eels and didn't really kill a lot while I finished off the castelant, and I put my plan to work fairly well. Turn 2, I retreated with my spear elves and sheelds managed to tie the drake up, and by high tide I buffed everyone up, charged in and put more wounds on the star drake until I somehow managed to kill him. overall I was quite happy, but I can see their fragility and that they will require finesse and timing.

Also turns out you don't get cover if you charge, so that's new to me!

*Well as in, well, I won only because my opponent forgot half his rules. namely that the warding lantern healed him on a roll of a 7+, and that any re-roll to his saves delt mortal wounds to EVERYONE in 3", not just on 6's like he played it. It was too late to retry without going back a turn, so I ended up winning because of it. That said, holy ****** we're going to have problems against a super buffed stardrake with stalwart defender and a lantern buff. I managed to have him get distracted in the game I played before this, but mathlaan alive that guy's broken.

Ah, well, my opponent was at least flabbergasted by how powerful the elf spear riders were, and actually explaining the rules kinda felt saying "Yea, these guys ignore rend, and have 13 +3d3 attacks their going to throw at you."

I’m not sure why people aren’t more excited about the Sea Eidolon. One of them has access to:

Mystic Shield

Arcane Bolt

Sea Mists - D3 heal or D3 mortals within 12”

Tsunami of Terror- D6 units within 12” take -1 to hit and -1 bravery!

An ADDITIONAL -1 to hit and -1 bravery

And the other can give cover to all deepkin units within 9”, plus doing whatever the other one isn’t.

Turn 1:

E1 - Cover, Mystic Shield (lasts for 2 turns)

E2 - basically nothing if we’re being honest unless you go second

But Turn 2:

E1 - cover, mystic shield

E2 - minus one to hit on D6! Units, additional -1 to hit on a unit.

-2 to hit is just a really big deal on your opponent’s most important unit

They can heal each other or themselves if you don’t need cover (charging)....I just really love them in a pair like that.

I’m sure other casters are cheaper but I don’t think anyone else wants to really get close enough to use the 12” range powers. Especially for most people who are trying to use eels to screen.

Then again, 440 points is also a little less than 12 stabby eels or a little more than 12 shieldy eels.

Clearly will have to purchase and playtest both :)

2 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

I’m not sure why people aren’t more excited about the Sea Eidolon. One of them has access to:

Mystic Shield

Arcane Bolt

Sea Mists - D3 heal or D3 mortals within 12”

Tsunami of Terror- D6 units within 12” take -1 to hit and -1 bravery!

An ADDITIONAL -1 to hit and -1 bravery

And the other can give cover to all deepkin units within 9”, plus doing whatever the other one isn’t.

Turn 1:

E1 - Cover, Mystic Shield (lasts for 2 turns)

E2 - basically nothing if we’re being honest unless you go second

But Turn 2:

E1 - cover, mystic shield

E2 - minus one to hit on D6! Units, additional -1 to hit on a unit.

-2 to hit is just a really big deal on your opponent’s most important unit

They can heal each other or themselves if you don’t need cover (charging)....I just really love them in a pair like that.

I’m sure other casters are cheaper but I don’t think anyone else wants to really get close enough to use the 12” range powers. Especially for most people who are trying to use eels to screen.

Then again, 440 points is also a little less than 12 stabby eels or a little more than 12 shieldy eels.

Clearly will have to purchase and playtest both :)

Hmmm i'm being sold abit here on that double AoSea <.< hmmm.... but your execution.

See i'd do like

Turn 1:
E1- Steed of Tide, Mystic shield
E2: Cover aura (2 turns), -1 to hit/bravery to D6

Then from there the cover spell can replaced with cloying sea mist for turn 2, and Steed for arcane missle. 

For more -1 to hit i'd bring maybe a tidecaller?? +X utility long range spell for turn 1 like arcane corrasion. Which could be cast from your line on turn 1, and then turn 2 provide the additional -1 to hit spell. However, her spell also does damage, and has a longer range. More over though with two edolans you'll likely want to have someo ne to cast rituals which the Tidecaller can do.   Plus the tide caster is gonna be doing nothing but advancing all game, and whe nit comes to being mortal wound sniped she is pretty good due to ignoring the first wound that comes her way each turn. 

Also with iconrach or whatever that +1 cast/unbind rerolling will go along way against change host. Keeping the mortal wounds down abit. Similarly, the -1/-2 to hit will also tamper down our mortal wound weakness. We'd still struggle abit against change host due to the quag mire of melee, but with flying models it's possible we can start making osme in roads. 

Edit: also if you really want to double down on the possibility or doing some mortal wound damage. A king with bioshock shell might not be a bad addition in this sort of force. 

I'm playing my first game today against Nurgle. 

I'm taking Fuethan army with:

Akhelian King general with Nightmare Legacy and Armour of Cythai,

Aspect of the Sea with Tide of Fear

Tidecaster with Steed of Tides

30 Thralls, 6 + 3 Ishlaen Guard, 6 Morrsarr Guard

+ allied Venator for sniping

The ship is HUGE. It's about 11" long, so the damaging aura is 17" and save aura 23". This is also an impassable terrain, so it's really important against an footslogging army (like Nurgle). I think using the Etheric Vortex terrains (as it's implied in the book, that there will be more terrain features from the EV line) will be the key to success, like using the forests in Sylvaneth army. Right now, i think, we all didn't take it into acount when talking the ID. I didn't want to buy another one, but now I'm sure any competitive attempts without 2 fully build ships, or any other EV terrain in the future, is deemed to fail.

I was toying with the idea of building this list, though I’m not 100% sure on 6 men Morrsarr units. Maybe with the Dhom-Hain enclave and Volturnos command ability I could have a really strong 3rd turn. The sorceress is there for an extra -1 to hit and the EG for objective holders/chaff.

Enclave: Dhom-Hain (re-rolls of 1 to hit if they carge + re-roll failed wound rolls against monsters for akhelian units)

Volturnos (General)

Eidolon Aspect of the Sea – Tide of Fear (-1 to hit and bravery)

Tidecaster – Abyssal darkness (cover)

Sorceress

3 Ishlaen Guard

3 Ishlaen Guard

6 Morrsarr Guard

6 Morrsarr Guard

10 Eternal Guard

10 Eternal Guard

So after another theory crafting morning I think this list is more diverse and able to do more

• Tidecaster - 100
  • Tidecaster - 100
  • Soulscryer - 100
  • Aspect of Storm - 400
  • 10 Namarati Reavers - 140
  • 6 Ishlaen - 280
  • 3 Morassi - 160

It has two Tidecasters so the loss of the AoSea is not too bad and one of them will be the general to reverse the table. The Aspect of the Storm provides a solid beaststick and can go where needed to deal damage whether that be to a monster of a hero or even just a tough elite unit.

I really feel that most competitive lists will be running multiple units of max size Thralls for similar reasons as to why Fyreslayers run multiple units of Vulgates, they're just really good and versatile, being able to adapt to a lot of situations. The Soulscryer helps them further and allows for flexibility depending on opponent as if you're facing a force that castles in you don't want to miss  getting  in combat on turn 2 so dropping in both units helps this a lot. The 10 Reavers simply exist as an objective holder or a harassing unit to chip a few wounds here and there. - Tempted to switch this out for the shark personally as that also has ranged damage capabilities and can offer some kind of ok damage output if a big charge is needed turn 2.

The Ishlaen eels are solid I think, their damage isn't fantastic but it isn't terrible and they're durable so they can potentially tie something up in combat if you're facing an aggressive army until you're ready to charge turn 2 and get stuck in with the tide bonuses. 

Finally the Morassi are the part of the list I'm least convinced about, especially at a unit size of 3, I don't think they can pull their weight at that unit size so I may have to drop the Ishlaen down to 3 and up the Morassi to 6.

Let me know what you think guys :)

I'm a bit stuck on enclaves and leaders :) Planning to run mostly Ahkelians, so a King is a must. Or i can use Volturnos, get more variable damage output, but gain more buffs. Since Isharann don't really buff Ahkelians, i'm  leaning to use Volt. However, then i do not have the points to run the Aspect of the Sea. Not sure if that is a bad thing, as the Storm aspect also grants re-roll 1's to wound to units within 9, perfect to make the spear eels count. In any case i will have a Tidecaster in support.

Last, there is the issue with enclaves. Dom-Hain i like, but they give a similar buff to Volt, and as Volts buff is an 18" bubble it is unlikely they need it. Fuethan sacrifices the retreat + charge phase after High Tide. I'm not sure i'm willing to sacrifice that as i am planning on being in combat turn 3. I could take Briomdar and a Soulscryer. Then i only benefit from the additional unit to go into the Aethersea, and my tidecaster semi-flies.  

Any suggestions?

I think I will test this army first as it looks quite potent 

Briomdar 

Aspect of The Sea + Born from Agony + Arcane Pearl 

Tidecaster 

Soul Scrye 

3x30 Thralls 

6 Ishalean Riders 

Great mobility thanks to enclave, General has 14 wounds with extra protection, Thralls are highly mobile thanks to enclave and/or Soul Scrye, strong magic 

No brainer if Icon Bearers aren't FAQ soon. 

Those Thralls will wreak havoc. 

Weakness? In some battles planes it could be tricky, Duality will be a big challenge. 

Bravery but with Aspect and Inspiring Presence I should be good to go. 

With Tidecaster I can reverse Tides and deepstrike whole 3 units in Turn 2. I'd rather take 30 Thralls then 6 Morssar. 

43 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I think I will test this army first as it looks quite potent 

Briomdar 

Aspect of The Sea + Born from Agony + Arcane Pearl 

Tidecaster 

Soul Scrye 

3x30 Thralls 

6 Ishalean Riders 

Great mobility thanks to enclave, General has 14 wounds with extra protection, Thralls are highly mobile thanks to enclave and/or Soul Scrye, strong magic 

No brainer if Icon Bearers aren't FAQ soon. 

Those Thralls will wreak havoc. 

Weakness? In some battles planes it could be tricky, Duality will be a big challenge. 

Bravery but with Aspect and Inspiring Presence I should be good to go. 

With Tidecaster I can reverse Tides and deepstrike whole 3 units in Turn 2. I'd rather take 30 Thralls then 6 Morssar. 

Icon Bearer absolutely has to be FAQed soon as people are just going to kit bash an icon on every guy and that's just dumb x)

I have read the book, very impressed and excited. Would like 2 things cleared up by FAQ though.

First, the Icon Bearer issue - as others have said if it is not clarified one way or the other... well I can see no reason I would not field units with every model as an Icon Bearer.

Second, is the intention that the Leviadon has 3 shots? Rules as written and previous FAQs tell us that we use exactly what is on the scroll - i.e. 3 shots. However this seems wrong - it would mean that having two ranged weapons on the Leviadon is exactly the same as having one (as per the Allopex), so it would be good if this was clearly ruled one way or the other to avoid doubt.

38 minutes ago, Trebuchenanigans said:

Speaking of things that need a FAQ. The Mor'Phann rules state that a Namarti Corps can take up to 6 Thrall units, but it can already take 2-6. I wonder if they mean up to 6 Reaver units, as it's currently capped at 4.

Oh yeah didn’t catch that!

Do you think originally it might of been 2-4 Thralls for the battalion before they bumped it up to 2-6?

It doesn’t make sense to me for Mor’phann to have more Reavers since that is Briomnar’s enclave bonus. I would of thoaught they would of liked to make sure each battalion enclave bonus is different!

I think steed of Tides is a trap power unless you’re using it on Thralls. Everyone else has plenty of mobility.

The powers that amaze me from the lore of the deeps are the cover spell (sorry turtle it’s free) and the tide of fear. We can do some crazy bravery debuffing, and stacking -1 or -2 to hit onto a unit is just so big.

And that cloud of midnight though. Protecting yourself against a bad double turn, waiting until high tide, using that model out front to make yourself completely invulnerable to missile weapons for a turn (just make him the closest model)...it’s all so great. And I think he can still deny while clouded so take that Tzeentch!

Archived