Chaos Dwarfs in AoS?

Ulgzhakar

To be honest if we get subfactions it will be because gw or more likely fw think they can sell ip protected minis. At the moment I guess they are hedging their bets and keeping us in there ‘coz they are still selling loa minis and keeping the fluff door opem to sell more Zharr Vyxa  of they think there is a market.

A Chaos Dwarf army just won a local tournament I was at this weekend in South Jersey. They're tough to play against with their new updates but always fun to see them on the table. I also like the idea of LoA rebuilding their dead god, or at least building avatars of Hashut like the Idoneth do with Mathlann. I wouldn't mind seeing more Chaos Dwarf models themselves, whether they be great weapon wielding grunts, alchemists that throw short-ranged sulfur bombs, or hell. make a slaves unit where you can use any combination of mortals with a Chaos Dwarf taskmaster behind whipping them forward

Yeah, it was Spear of Shadows. 

Spoiler

Volundr was talking about being a slave of Furnace Kings, Grungni smashed their fortress by himself. Then they scattered amongst Mortal Realms.

Edited by michu

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread, Id like to add that in my own Fluff there are Chaos Dwarves in Ulgu and have occupied a sub realm between Ulgu and Hysh.

There's more to it, and Im still fleshing it out, but yeah! I am focusing more on the "Father of Darkness" aspect of Hashut than the fire part

Edited by Sinarai

27 minutes ago, Sinarai said:

Just found this thread, Id like to add that in my own Fluff there are Chaos Dwarves in Ulgu and have occupied a sub realm between Ulgu and Hysh.

There's more to it, and Im still fleshing it out, but yeah! I am focusing more on the "Father of Darkness" aspect of Hashut than the fire part

++ Mod Hat on ++
Just a reminder that we don’t look kindly on Necromancy here when it comes to old threads!

In future start a new one rather than adding to a very old one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

++ Mod Hat on ++
Just a reminder that we don’t look kindly on Necromancy here when it comes to old threads!

In future start a new one rather than adding to a very old one

I apologize, didnt realize that was the protocol. I was just reading threads on chaos dwarfs (with no specific questions in mind) just gathering knowledge for homebrew stuff. Figured the info in this thread was useful, seems like a waste to just throw it away, but for sure.

Also wasn't looking to start a whole new thread on chaos dwarfs, simply add to the (admittedly) very old conversation as I passed through :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You would think so and I don't want to be doom and gloom (been burned on Forgeworld cuts myself). However, things like the skycutters were mentioned and featured prominently in AoS novels weeks before they were slashed in the great high elf cull. I do hold out hope for AFFORDABLE chaos dwarves in the future though.

• Like 2

They featured in the warcry compilation as well in the Iron Golems story.

In the old world the Legion of Azgorh were a very different animal to the original chaos dwarfs with the big hats.

You've seen a plastic chaos D in the warcry iron golems box and I'm sure there was another one floating around in a different release I'm sure of it.

There has also been lots of casual references to them in the lore so perhaps for all we know they're the AoS sisters of battle.  The mothership knows thet theres a market for them, and perhaps they've got something planned.

or, it could just be the end of the road full stop, with them being nothing more than an AoS chaos forgeworld pumping out arms and armour for the highest chaos bidder in the lore.   But for now, they are no more, and I can see the next GHB removing them from matched points and pushing them into legends as it has with the other chaos offerings from FW.  How I miss my skin wolves.

My two mammoths will probably be used as warshrines now if I can ever be bothered to get them out fo their boxes again, or maybe I'll just keep them as an old world army.

As a separate note, we really need to be looking at FW as just a nice model rather than anything more solid.  We have a greater khorgorath that doesn't have the khorgorath keyword, and several models that have just disappeared from the GHB.  Imagine just how many rhinox cavalry would have been sold if they'd re-released them on the back of  the ogres battletome coming out.

I want to buy the dragon, but if I do it will be in the knowledge and full expectation that I can see it being pulled from matched play in a very short time, and that's how I approach anything from FW now.  I don't look at it as a necessity for my army but a nice to have model - it's the safest way to look at it, and that way when it disappears and becomes a narrative gaming piece I won't be disappointed.

Either way, consider the legion finally gone until the mothership decide otherwise. 

Deep down we all knew they were on borrowed time anyway, lets not kid ourselves. There was a glimmer of hope that we might get a second wind with shartor but in reality nothing happened after him.

For me, for a few brief years we finally had recognition as a proper army. I can't grumble about that as even in fantasy, we were left out in the cold for so long that not even a warhammer world event would recognise your legitimacy.  It's been a good gig. Time to move on. - hell, just use them as dwarf thunderers.

• Like 3

I feel everyone in this thread would sacrifice me to Hashut for my heresy, but I really hope that they are introduced as a fully playable sub-faction within Slaves to Darkness. Ideally they would be a distinctive culture with internal synergies but usable in the larger Slaves to Darkness army. I think this would give S2D a more unique identity to the God Specific armies which can make use of the majority of Slaves to Darkness' forces already. Furthermore, it would also allow for GW to test the viability of sales for the army and see if they could expand them into a stand alone faction. However, I think this would require some set up in the lore detailing how Archaon had convinced a number of Dawi-Zharr to enter his employ but also mention that many resisted his call.  It would also shield them from being squatted in the future as the popularity of Slaves to Darkness will always shield them to some extent. 

As for an initial release of units I would like at the very least:
-A Chaos Dwarf Lord (Melee focused with casting)
-A unit of Infantry: Ranged and Melee options
-Bull Centaurs
-Demon forged Warmachine/Hellcanon
-As for Hobgoblins I think that they could make use of the Gnoblar set but with the a unique warscroll called HobGnoblars but largely because I think that name is hilarious and appropriate for AOS. 
-Eventual Underworlds warband that is pretty useless but gives great alternate model options 😉

Although, I would want that initial list to grow in scope I think it creates a great basis for a subfaction within AOS that could be expanded outwards into a fully fledged faction. But is also gives enough units and hopefully variety to develop a fully fledged army using just the units within the sub-faction. Also I expect to be roasted alive for this post and I apologize! Just let me know where to turn in my oversized hat... 😱

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

It would be really nice, if Legion of Azgorh would become a Games Workshop release. Forge World releases have often the problem that they are not as accessable as GW releases and often have next to no lore.

We maybe could get more lore on the "Furnace Kings" what were part of some Stories and should be part of the Legions as well.

13 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I feel everyone in this thread would sacrifice me to Hashut for my heresy, but I really hope that they are introduced as a fully playable sub-faction within Slaves to Darkness. Ideally they would be a distinctive culture with internal synergies but usable in the larger Slaves to Darkness army. I think this would give S2D a more unique identity to the God Specific armies which can make use of the majority of Slaves to Darkness' forces already. Furthermore, it would also allow for GW to test the viability of sales for the army and see if they could expand them into a stand alone faction. However, I think this would require some set up in the lore detailing how Archaon had convinced a number of Dawi-Zharr to enter his employ but also mention that many resisted his call.  It would also shield them from being squatted in the future as the popularity of Slaves to Darkness will always shield them to some extent. 

As for an initial release of units I would like at the very least:
-A Chaos Dwarf Lord (Melee focused with casting)
-A unit of Infantry: Ranged and Melee options
-Bull Centaurs
-Demon forged Warmachine/Hellcanon
-As for Hobgoblins I think that they could make use of the Gnoblar set but with the a unique warscroll called HobGnoblars but largely because I think that name is hilarious and appropriate for AOS. 
-Eventual Underworlds warband that is pretty useless but gives great alternate model options 😉

Although, I would want that initial list to grow in scope I think it creates a great basis for a subfaction within AOS that could be expanded outwards into a fully fledged faction. But is also gives enough units and hopefully variety to develop a fully fledged army using just the units within the sub-faction. Also I expect to be roasted alive for this post and I apologize! Just let me know where to turn in my oversized hat... 😱

would just be nice to get the hellcannon back.

• Like 1