Legions of Nagash: The Legion of Sacrament

RuneBrush

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

morghasts are very long, and not especially wide.  They might work on an oval base, but all the oval bases so far are either too large or not wide enough.  Circle bases, though, are either much too wide or not long enough.  based on observing other people's models, the body of a morghast often ends up hanging way over the edge of the 50mm rounds they're supposed to be on now, making them floppy & tipsy, aesthetically displeasing, and awkward when you try to play based on measurement to bases, because it's difficult to make contact with the front of their base due to how far over the edge their legs dangle.

Most of the basing guides have put them on 60 mms, including the TGA one.  I think this helps and makes them fit much better.  I know I like the ones I have rebased.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Yea, this is one of the changes to AOS that I have been most presently surprised with.  I have loved the rounds and honestly can not think of a model I have rebased that does not look better on the rounds.  Just rebased a VLoZD and man he is sexy on his new round.

Yeah I feel that the round bases in general make more sence visually also, as they semi-realistically are able to represent a models melee threat range also... Most of the time.

Again there are a few exceptions though :) For example I think that the oval bases can be a very big miss if we are talking about bipedal models. I currently have my Khorgorath set up on my round painting-holder and well... that looks better. I will eventually put him on his oval base, but it does look like he's surfing on the thing.

One thing I do agree with is that a lot of Death's range is showing it's age and quite a lot of models because of it are more static and that looks more at place on a square base. I feel the same about Chaos Warriors for example, on round bases they look very static. By comparison the Blood Warriors look always better (on round bases).

The biggest hope I initially had for Death was to see more stuff updated in the Zombie, Bats and Direwolves ranges. Having said that though there are some great alternatives on the market too.

2 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Most of the basing guides have put them on 60 mms, including the TGA one.  I think this helps and makes them fit much better.  I know I like the ones I have rebased.

Yeah I can't say this looks bad:
99120207028_DeathLordsMarghastsArchai01.

The only comment and personal vision I do have with Death models is that their bases will ALWAYS look better when there are tombstones on them. It just makes the whole spirit+bone part look the part.

So basically for all who look to go next level with their Death (and even save some money on having a complete model on every base) check these options:
gravestones-graveyard-plastic-set-renedr
gravestones-graveyard-plastic-set-renedr

99061466022_GiantBatsNEW01.jpg
(Bat swarm)

99120101092_FenrisianWolfPackNEW01.jpg
(Dire Wolves)

Have them in my bitsbox myself and can highly recommend them.

the morghast model problem on rounds becomes apparent when seen from the side.  On the 360 view it looks a bit awkward, and then you realize they picked the one leaning back for the 360 in both cases, the other one, with both legs up, is where the problem is most noticeable.

1 minute ago, Sception said:

the morghast model problem on rounds becomes apparent when seen from the side.  On the 360 view it looks a bit awkward, and then you realize they picked the one leaning back for the 360 in both cases, the other one, with both legs up, is where the problem is most noticeable.

Still... Nothing that can't be fixed by adding more interest to the base itself.

Stuff on bases start to look funny when there is no detail on the base and a ton of it on the model. At that point the lack of detail on the base becomes the distraction.

Bases look wrong when models hang way over them or aren't properly centered on them, no matter how well moddled the bases are.  And mortarchs are floppy and wobbly if you don't anchor a foot to the base, which you can't do if the feet aren't actually over the base.

3 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Never had too many issues with them....

Also, never base your morghasts with 60mm bases if they have 2" reach due to halberds. Lining them up is slightly awkward, but fighting in 2 ranks is preferable.

But they come on 60mm bases. Let's use the bases provided.

I'm sorry I got us off on this tangent.

More on topic, based on the preview, what are people thinking a typical 2k point Legion of Sacrament list is going to look like?  Using the current points, I'm thinking:

• Arkhan (general)
  • Dragon Lord (bracers)
  • 3 Necromancers (1 with another artefact)
  • Mortis Engine
  • Corpse Cart
  • 3x20 Zombies for battleline
  • Balewind Vortex

That leaves 190 points left over for arkhan's formation.  If that's not enough points, can drop the Balewind.

10 casts a turn (1 for the dragon, 3 for arkhan, 3x2 for the necromancers), knows all deathmage, 4 vampires spells, in addition to mystic shield, arcane bolt, curse of years, danse macabre, and blood boil.  Zombies screen the necros with their look out sir rule, mortis screens arkhan with the formation rule, dragon lord has an extra 4++ vs. shooting from the artefact.  While clustered, everything has +3 to cast, or the faster flying behemoths can separate off and everything still has +2, plus Arkhans own bonuses.  Zombies mob together into a big pile that if not wiped out entirely grows back rapidly with all the characters around.  they don't hit hard, but with a nearby cart & vanhels they're not entirely helpless.  Primary win condition is spamming magic damage to kill characters & knock off horde bonuses before charging in with the behemoths.

Obviously the list makes some big assumptions (points don't change too much, formation is under 190/290 points, zombies can still mob up into one big unit after being deployed separately to fill battleline.

Not top end tournament fare by any stretch, but it does look like something I'd be willing to try at some point.

2 hours ago, Sception said:

I'm sorry I got us off on this tangent.

More on topic, based on the preview, what are people thinking a typical 2k point Legion of Sacrament list is going to look like?  Using the current points, I'm thinking:

• Arkhan (general)
  • Dragon Lord (bracers)
  • 3 Necromancers (1 with another artefact)
  • Mortis Engine
  • Corpse Cart
  • 3x20 Zombies for battleline
  • Balewind Vortex

That leaves 190 points left over for arkhan's formation.  If that's not enough points, can drop the Balewind.

10 casts a turn (1 for the dragon, 3 for arkhan, 3x2 for the necromancers), knows all deathmage, 4 vampires spells, in addition to mystic shield, arcane bolt, curse of years, danse macabre, and blood boil.  Zombies screen the necros with their look out sir rule, mortis screens arkhan with the formation rule, dragon lord has an extra 4++ vs. shooting from the artefact.  While clustered, everything has +3 to cast, or the faster flying behemoths can separate off and everything still has +2, plus Arkhans own bonuses.  Zombies mob together into a big pile that if not wiped out entirely grows back rapidly with all the characters around.  they don't hit hard, but with a nearby cart & vanhels they're not entirely helpless.  Primary win condition is spamming magic damage to kill characters & knock off horde bonuses before charging in with the behemoths.

Obviously the list makes some big assumptions (points don't change too much, formation is under 190/290 points, zombies can still mob up into one big unit after being deployed separately to fill battleline.

Not top end tournament fare by any stretch, but it does look like something I'd be willing to try at some point.

It's certainly an interesting listidea and could be fun. Assuming that zombie's become "summonable" they would actually be a lot more resilient blobbed up than they were before thanks to deathly invocation. Before the unit would have gotten 1d6 back a turn, now you will get 5d3 minimum.  

Main thing I would wonder is if there is enough damage output to deal with fast aggressive lists like blades of khorne. 

8 hours ago, Ryan Taylor said:

But they come on 60mm bases. Let's use the bases provided.

Oh, you are right. I thought hey were 50mm... Only a small amount of positioning needed to take advantage of 2" range then, my bad. 

Zombies aren't currently allowed to blob up into bigger units after deploying (would either (a) take above starting size and thus not be allowed or (b) create a new unit, which would need reinforcement points).

Think too early to start writing lists - tiny differences in phrasing can have big impacts, e.g. the change to needing an unmodified 9+ for Locus of Shyish makes Corpse Cart and Mortis Engine less appealing than otherwise. How the grave sites/ summoning new units work exactly will be huge, and we're still in the dark on that. Not long now though!

5 minutes ago, boots468 said:

Zombies aren't currently allowed to blob up into bigger units after deploying (would either (a) take above starting size and thus not be allowed or (b) create a new unit, which would need reinforcement points).

I thought they'd FAQ'd this so that the restriction is the maximum unit size from the pitched battle listing rather than unit starting size.

16 hours ago, Sception said:

BOOO  HISSSSS

This does bring down my enthusiasm for Legion of Sacrament a good deal.  Reliable double soul siphon at 9" is super frightening.  Single soul siphon is considerably less so.

Excuse me if I think guaranteed double casting spells is absolute BULLS*** and am glad they nipped that in the bud.

And for everyone who says 'oh but it's not guaranted ba derp a derp' you can lie to yourself but don't lie to me. Nagash starts at +3. Adding more + to cast is trivial in a death army and arcane terrain isn't hard to come by either.

Nagash doesn't need 16 spells per turn for LoN to be strong.

Im guessing his battalion will be 200pts. Cast an additional spell each combined with the mortis engine shield(whatever that is). Then Arkhan, the mortis engine, and 2-4 necros maybe? Going to be costly but with all that easy casting its pretty much ranged MW artillery

Just some thoughts about the double casting buff but even at having to roll an unmodified 9, that is still really good! If my shaky grasp of mathematics is right, that means you stand a chance of getting it about a third of the time. If there is an item which allows you re-rolls then this increases.

I think the way it was worded before was probably a bit too good and I suspect was due to the person writing the article not having all the facts in place and probably jumping to conclusions. 

Also I think for those of you who still feel a bit down about this, we still haven't seen the rest of the book. We need to see it in action and I'm very confident it's going to be a good battletome. I'm just waiting for today's update to see if I can have an army of Vampires on Zombie Dragons! :D 

The way I see that 9 roll effect is that it's bound to happen per game, the question is just when. In reality tough it's just a great ability to have. I mean most abilities are compairable to it. It's just that there is a specific Tzeentch Allegiance with abilities that pretty much has every other allegiance ability beat. This doesn't mean it's less relevant however.

There are basically three things going on here and I like them all:
- Boost to spell rolls (medium unbind armies are bound to be unable to stop your effects)
- Massive selection of spells (tactical flexability)
- Situational resurrection at the right time (which isn't amazing but an ideal reason to consider a small pocket of zombies or dire wolves, the cheap stuff)

6 hours ago, Bademeister said:

Tonight i thought about the new Spell Soul Harvest and Arkhans Command Ability (Increase Range of Spells by 6''). I won't stack or work together? That sounds absurd, each enemy unit within 9''...

Seems to me that this would indeed work.

As it's spoiled allready and a geat FAQ question I'd say mail the AoS FAQ team in advance so it can be part of the initial errata/faq. 

Feel free to PM me for their mail adress. You can find it elsewhere also but I prefer to contribute to good questions instead of mails that are about how much they dislike their product (this is occuring a lot for 40k now...).

On 31/01/2018 at 4:51 PM, Envyus said:

I think the intention is that it is free. 

do people really expect that they will be able to bring units of 40 skellies back for free ?

Remind me of nurgle players who were persuaded summoning would be free...

Archived