Malign Portents

Will Myers

3 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I'm so ready for grots to take advantage of Order weakness and wreck some cities. Stab em lads! 

It did seem an unlikely shot though in this story. A unit of 2 grots will be hitting on 5s and wounding on 5s, and that paranoid hoomie was in cover. 

There is clearly a situational bonus from the battleplan at work here.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After this story, all stormcast have a slight bad vibe to them. Or to be fair, it's more Sigmar that is the bad guy here. Reforging against one's will, those, who resist get broken and forced into obedience after discarding the unwanted parts of their soul. 

That's even darker than the Imperium, putting boys through brutal tests, mutilating, sterilising and mind washing them to abhumam tools of war. 

Spoiler

That is giving out an extremely unpleasant view of Sigmar.

I always considered it one of the main features of the Stormcast that they fought willingly. That is now out of the window.

This also means that some Stormcast are affected much worse by the reforging, I can not see Vandus or Gardus rejecting the reforging like this.

It also casts what happened with Torglug/Tornus in an entirely new light, making him no less a Slave in Sigmars service than he was one to Nurgle before.

No wonder Nagash is ticked of though. He is even denied those Souls that want to go to him. And then that wastefulness, just throwing away big parts of Souls. Hopefully "throwing away scraps of Soul" will prove to be as bad an idea as it sounds.

Another big question, where those really the faces of the Stormcasts tribesmen, a trick of undead sorcery or another flaw of the reforging at work?

2 hours ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

I'm curious to see if Kavastus is the rumored new stormcast wizard we might be getting this summer. 

Perhaps Soul Wars will reveal what exactly is going on with the reforging process and the toll it's taking on Sigmar's warriors

Okay this story was maybe the best in the series alongside the Morathi & Malrion one. 

Three educated guesses / wild ramblings based on it : 

1. The illustrations of the short stories : they come IMO either from the Magic supplement or the new Rulebook (but probably not a new Stormcast battletome). Remember how each story follows loosely the Battletome / general release order ? But a few images, the MP stories are illustrated with other materials artworks. So that's kind of another confirmation.

2. It's good to have some more stories from the Sigmarabulum's factories and the Six Smiths. So, even if the Sigmarabulum is probably city-sized, each soul is indeed reforged individually (I mean it's not an industrial process). That's really interesting and I hope we'll learn more about it. The process itself makes the Stormcast's fate in the Time of Tribulations more tragic.

3. IMO Kavastus is one of the "Wizcast" from the Souls wars cover (with his stave and his use of "the magic of Azyr"). My theory is then that the situation will become so dire during the Soul Wars (after Nagash unleash the Necroquake spell) that Sigmar is forced to launch the Wizcast, who are NOT a new Chamber, but the sentinels of the Sigmarabulum, needed to watch over the souls of the Stormcast at war in the Mortal Realms and the souls of the other peoples of Order.

NB : here is the Sigmarabulum (the artificial ring around Mallus) floating above the Realm of Azyr, viewed from space (left) and from Azyrheim below (right). 

The Sigmarabulum.png

24 minutes ago, chord said:

I hope there are not "bad" stormcast in the future.   That might be enough to make me switch to another game in all honestly.  :(

I dont think there will be evil stormcast. But i can deffinetly see some death aligned rebel stormcast who somehow escaped regorging thanks to nagash and resent sigmar for enforcing slavery on them.

Also i think its pretty clear that the next releases are stormcast, darkoath,  moonclan and nighthaunt. The last time gw launched a hero as part of the main game (not quest or anything) was horticulous and he was foreshadowing the nurgle book

I really don't think that's where they are going. There won't be an "evil Stormcast" faction. Stormcast will stay as the Order faction serving Sigmar that they already are.

What we are seeing is the slow decay of their humanity, so they will eventually become like automata. They won't be able to perceive right or wrong, they will just do the job they are given. It will be down to those in charge of them to decide what those jobs are and how they can deal with the consequences.

The moral ambiguity is what makes them exciting and interesting! The old over simplified good-vs-bad tropes are tired. We need this stuff in AoS to add some depth to the stories.

18 minutes ago, WarbossKurgan said:

I really don't think that's where they are going. There won't be an "evil Stormcast" faction. Stormcast will stay as the Order faction serving Sigmar that they already are.

What we are seeing is the slow decay of their humanity, so they will eventually become like automata. They won't be able to perceive right or wrong, they will just do the job they are given. It will be down to those in charge of them to decide what those jobs are and how they can deal with the consequences.

The moral ambiguity is what makes them exciting and interesting! The old over simplified good-vs-bad tropes are tired. We need this stuff in AoS to add some depth to the stories.

So working for Sigmar will be like working at a large corp for years...   :D

I greatly enjoyed this latest story.  To anyone who still says that the Stormcast Eternals are nothing more than Fantasy Space Marines, we can point them to the Malign Portents stories, in particular this latest one dealing with the reforging.  (And yes, I am aware there are other bits of fluff that are also indicators of the nature of Stormcast and how they ARE NOT Space Marines, but the naysayers don't read the novels, now do they?)

That said, as much as I enjoyed reading it and how it sparked my imagination with ideas, I wish it had come at a different time.  I am dealing with some serious drama with my relatives right now, and I would really enjoy some good old fashioned "hero defeating the villains" type stories.

Did anyone else get a strong Ghostbuster vibe out of the whole catching-a-ghost-with-lightining thing?  Or was that just me?

2 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

Everyone is focusing on the Stormcast wizard, but I need that lightning gheist as a model immediately.

Ready ? CONVERT !

b4490cd1a9ad62a3ba41b40a93e6f5a4.jpg

EDIT : Oh !

Another point going for my theory (above)  is that the different Stormcast logos we have seen so far (on the Shadespire card or Soul Wars cover) represent an anvil + lightnings , and the Stormcast in today's story is guarding the... Anvil of Apotheosis, where souls are reforged in lightnings. 

4 hours ago, Ungface said:

I dont think there will be evil stormcast. But i can deffinetly see some death aligned rebel stormcast who somehow escaped regorging thanks to nagash and resent sigmar for enforcing slavery on them.

Also i think its pretty clear that the next releases are stormcast, darkoath,  moonclan and nighthaunt. The last time gw launched a hero as part of the main game (not quest or anything) was horticulous and he was foreshadowing the nurgle book

Maybe an Army of Knight of Shrouds who are all former Stormcast that betray/freed from Sigmar and join Nagaash

We already know Nagash has gotten his hands on some Stormcast Souls.

He certainly desires more and that he will put them to some sort of use. We should all get used to the idea of seeing some sort of Stormcast based Undead at some point, though I am quite certain they will not look anything like the original deal.

If they do go for evil undead Stormcast as a thing, I’m hoping they’ll riff Persona 4 and give each Stormcast a shadow-self that Nagash forges from the cast off scraps of the Stormcast’s doubts and fears.

54 minutes ago, Inqy said:

If they do go for evil undead Stormcast as a thing, I’m hoping they’ll riff Persona 4 and give each Stormcast a shadow-self that Nagash forges from the cast off scraps of the Stormcast’s doubts and fears.

If the Sigmar-part Stormcast defeats his own Nagash-part Stormcast... Will he get a cool summon?

Archived