Where Do You Game AoS?

When I get the chance to play, I try to stick with my local shop, as it is only a 45 minute drive from my home, but in the same town as my work, so I can pack up models with me and they can ride with me to work if I plan on staying in the city to get games in.

Otherwise, I go to my GW, which is a 90 minute drive one way to get to, so I make sure to make it a full day if I do head over there for games.

Right now, I'm pretty much stuck at home with house and family stuff.  Part of that is setting up the gaming room though, so soon I will be able to get my games in at home again!

Most gaming out of my home game room.

Most tournament gaming out of Critical Hit Games in Clearwater.

I am branching out into Descent Into Gaming in Bradenton presently for some casual play,  a very nice but very new little shop closer to home than Critical - so new that Warhammer gaming can only really happen when I bring my tables and terrain from home.  But we're trying to crack the market.

In the 14 years I've been back in this hobby, 99% of the gaming has been at the local GW.  When GW made it a 1-man store and killed gaming nights they pointed at lack of sales during those hours.  Which was stupid as people bought a kit during the week to get it done for gaming nights.  

Thankfully they've come around and let us play again but the dmg was done, the scene fractured and the sales hit was blamed on staffers :(

I just really hope the people behind the "new GW" PR are also aware a place to play sells models.

39 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

In the 14 years I've been back in this hobby, 99% of the gaming has been at the local GW.  When GW made it a 1-man store and killed gaming nights they pointed at lack of sales during those hours.  Which was stupid as people bought a kit during the week to get it done for gaming nights.  

Thankfully they've come around and let us play again but the dmg was done, the scene fractured and the sales hit was blamed on staffers :(

I just really hope the people behind the "new GW" PR are also aware a place to play sells models.

I've been told by GW employees that corporate's stated strategy is to use the stores primarily as promotional vehicles. The goal is for the stores to promote GW games and the hobby in general while funneling the new players into other stores. In practice, I haven't seen that actually play out. But that's what I have been told the guidance from corporate is.

I don't think it's a bad strategy if they actually came up with a plan to implement it (running official GW events out of independent stores, promoting FLGS events from the GW store, etc.). But as is, they are clearly competing with the FLGS instead.

15 minutes ago, Trout said:

I've been told by GW employees that corporate's stated strategy is to use the stores primarily as promotional vehicles. The goal is for the stores to promote GW games and the hobby in general while funneling the new players into other stores. In practice, I haven't seen that actually play out. But that's what I have been told the guidance from corporate is

I heard that too and I agree with you.  

A few years back the regional manager (operating out of the south of the US who had to fly up to Canada) said he was shocked people were playing in the store and not in their own garages.  

In 2005 when Wood Elves came out I saw at least 6 copy cat armies painted autumn like mine locally.  How does GW not get that creativity sparks sales?

38 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

I heard that too and I agree with you.  

A few years back the regional manager (operating out of the south of the US who had to fly up to Canada) said he was shocked people were playing in the store and not in their own garages.  

In 2005 when Wood Elves came out I saw at least 6 copy cat armies painted autumn like mine locally.  How does GW not get that creativity sparks sales?

Well, I think their vision is that the stores would primarily offer a variety of training classes (building, painting, working with green stuff, etc...) and gaming demos. They would be there to train and equip players to go play elsewhere. But I've never actually seen a store that works that way.

If they really wanted it to work that way, they would be partnering with other local stores and clubs. But they don't, nor would an intelligent GW manager ever take the initiative to do this since their performance is measured by sales.

I do most of my gaming at local gaming clubs or independent gaming companies. 

We used to play a lot of Thursday night games at GW, however; in Sydney it seems like this is reserved for new players and no longer welcomes 2,000pt battles.

One of our local stockist (Games Cube in Parramatta ) runs a 3 game/ 2,000pt tournament each month which has been great to get  bunch of games in on a single day. We average 25-30 players per event which is great.

37 minutes ago, chord said:

It's hard to game at our local GW it only stays open till 6pm . (except weekends)

I am really lucky that my GW store (which is a 5min walk from my office) is open until 9pm every day... :P

Although this has not been good on my wallet...:$

Most of my games have been at a local Gaming store, but sadly they recently closed down. We used to play every Saturday. My gaming group has been looking for a new spot to game at, but we'll most probably have to change the day since most local places dedicate weekends to card games and Heroclix. I also play at home with my family and close friends. 

Mainly at my local club. We generally tend to meet up about once a month there.

Also occasionally at my place or another players house. Generally I've been pretty busy though to organise games at my place lately though.

On the rare occasion, at my local GW. It's a bit of a weird thing, in that it's hard to just 'rock up and get a game' unless you're part of the circle there. So ultimately, when I do go in I usually end up painting and nothing much more, which leads me not to bother a lot as I can just paint at home also.

Archived