Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire

Garxia

It's the organised play thing that interests me. I think GW clearly will be aware of the huge popularity of X-wing/FNM and other similar formats.

Getting themselves into that market space would make sense and tbh could be amazing. I had some thoughts on prepainted minis (which tbh is far better for this format), however I can't see it happened. Wouldn't mind if it did though.

Whatever though, it's pretty exciting! Mordheim doesn't seem to fit the bill though.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does strike me as a standalone game - bearing in mind that they've parted ways with FFG it does make sense they're trying to establish themselves as a games manufacturer in addition to a miniatures company :)  Really looking forward to seeing what it's all about

Maybe GW saw that, despite the increase in sales, matched play was gutting the AoS experience they had envisioned and wanted to direct that customer segment toward something else so that AoS could be more like what they had planned originally again.

6 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Maybe GW saw that, despite the increase in sales, matched play was gutting the AoS experience they had envisioned and wanted to direct that customer segment toward something else so that AoS could be more like what they had planned originally again.

More likely they realized how silly and unpopular the 'happy happy bun bun huggy kissy' old style of AoS was and are now looking to leverage the already larger and more active competitive scene. After all AoS was pretty much a dumpster fire until they actually bothered to make it a real game.

40 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

More likely they realized how silly and unpopular the 'happy happy bun bun huggy kissy' old style of AoS was and are now looking to leverage the already larger and more active competitive scene. After all AoS was pretty much a dumpster fire until they actually bothered to make it a real game.

Aggressive much? 

AoS was, and is, a really fun, inclusive, cooperative hobby.  It was a risk, making a product had relied upon people to be kind and generous, but for those who are, it's great. 

I get that it didn't hold appeal for those who were looking for something more akin to a sport (with self validation, competition, and trophies) but for those who wanted a way to mess around with all their most cherished toys, it was far from a "dumpster fire. "

More popular does not mean better.  Beta was better than VHS. 

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Popularity does not mean better.  Beta was better than VHS. 

Shh! Don't let these young whippersnappers know how old we are! Next you'll be talking about playing Pong and remembering when the Atari 2600 came out or how mind blowing the first Supermario game was :D

11 minutes ago, Dez said:

Shh! Don't let these young whippersnappers know how old we are! Next you'll be talking about playing Pong and remembering when the Atari 2600 came out or how mind blowing the first Supermario game was :D

But it was mind blowing?  In a different way to Elite though ;) 

If everyones hunch on the hex grid is true, has anyone played Fire Emblem before? Thats a strict battle style thats quick and simple to execute even with a board game I should imagine, a sort of turn based style game with smaller forces, means there could be more than just the suggested 2 factions too.

5 hours ago, Garxia said:

Just updated first post with a new pic. that suggests small skirmishes (AoS - Frostgrave maybe?).

PS: Sigmaciaaaaaaaaa!?

SIGMACIA.JPG.6613367653c25a7e8c17601cb4b827ad.JPG

Man I do not like how these guys look without helmets on. I'm all for bare heads but these guys look like computer game men rather than weird warhammer stuff. 

I like the shoulder pads for the guy on the right though 

1 minute ago, Carnelian said:

Man I do not like how these guys look without helmets on. I'm all for bare heads but these guys look like computer game men rather than weird warhammer stuff. 

I like the shoulder pads for the guy on the right though 

I've a feeling that this is on purpose - if it's looking to be a stand alone type game then the computer game style should appeal to a different audience.

Agree though, the less ornate pauldrons look really nice!

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I've a feeling that this is on purpose - if it's looking to be a stand alone type game then the computer game style should appeal to a different audience.

Agree though, the less ornate pauldrons look really nice!

Too bad the guy on the right isn't a stormcast, he is from league of legends.

http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/garen/

maxresdefault.jpg

I for one am very sceptical about this new game. I fear that it may do more harm than good on Age of Sigmar.

I mean just when the game is finally at a great place (both rules-wise but also popularity-wise), throwing out a new game may disrupt the balance and be divisive for the player base hurting Age of Sigmar rather than aiding it...

I think it will be some kidn of Maliflaux/Frostgrave hybrid. I guess it won't replace AoS as competitive game but will target other wargamers. Also low model count, cheaper to start game will be perfect start for AoS, especially if Shadespire minis have AoS warscrolls. 

So any player will be able to build his warband into bigger army. I love this idea. 

@RuneBrush, no worries, I had to google image search it to be sure. I spent about 5 minutes looking at the image thinking "no way that sword is AOS".

I think this is a response to the popularity of HInterlands and AOS28 on this forum and Twitter. Call me nuts, but no other AOS topic compares to either of those in popularity. AND GW didn't make either....

Archived