Sneak Peek at The Generals Handbook II....

Gaz Taylor

2 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

So, with these changes in view, it makes you wonder what else is going to get hit hard.  Hurricanum up to 400?  Sayl up to 300?  Mournghul to 500?  Storm fiends to 360? 400?

i expect to see bloab go up, orghotts go down, archaon and nagash go down ( slightly ) :o judicators to go up a tiny decimators to go up, various other things but i cba to write a long list which will likely be wrong lol 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer some changes to the actual warscrolls rather than blanket point cost increases, but if this is how they are balancing the game then I would be shocked if they didn't increase the cost of Stormfiends, Thundertusk, and Celestial Hurricanum.

2 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

So can a dispossessed Runelord, but his is at a +2 and he has almost double the number of wounds, quadruple the movement, and can strike his own runes....and is 20 points cheaper.  This new point cost is utterly indefensible given his stat line.  This is bonkers.  

I did say it was a guess ;) 

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Personally, TO's can do what they want. They are organising a tournament, it's up to you if you want to go ;) 

Yeah, absolutely. But I think my main point still stands - that tournament gamers almost unquestioningly take TO's rulings as gospel, which tends to influence the rest of the community, and that this may not necessarily be the healthiest attitude for the game as a whole. I can choose not to go, but if TO's blacklisting compendium armies leads everyone to believe that these armies are in some way unfair or bad for the game, then I'm less likely to find a casual game with my totally legal Bretonnians. I find the 'you can choose not to go' argument a little simplistic.

Again, not the fault of the TO's, more a fault with the community perception of TO's. Although I'm sure there are some TO's who do revel in the authority they're granted as community gatekeepers - that's just human nature.

8 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Hang on Fyreslayers were overcosted and some Tomb Kings were undercosted (they haven't changed all of there costs judging by the example) I don't see how this adds up to some nefarious plot.  

No, all of the new current models in the release were reduced in cost.  All of the compendium scrolls mentioned in the release were increased in cost.  That is the pattern we are observing.

I had hoped we would see points per model or similar so you didn't have to buy in huge blocks still.  I like the fact they are willing to adjust points (they need to also be willing to adjust warscrolls now) I just hope it won't be a veiled attempt just to get people to buy more (similar to how they changed 3rd edition 40k) and actually for balancing reasons.

Overall excited to see how things progress with this.  Off to a good start.

Just now, wayniac said:

I had hoped we would see points per model or similar so you didn't have to buy in huge blocks still.  I like the fact they are willing to adjust points (they need to also be willing to adjust warscrolls now) I just hope it won't be a veiled attempt just to get people to buy more (similar to how they changed 3rd edition 40k) and actually for balancing reasons.

Well, if the trend we see here continues in the rest of the scrolls (increase compendium scroll costs, decrease/keep the same for current model costs), then this will be a way for them to increase models sales.  I can assure you that people who had written off fyreslayers before will likely revisit them with these changes on the horizon.  This will increase their sales.  

Similarly, it is only in GW's interest to increase the point costs on compendium scrolls as it will drive players to the new models/armies if they want to keep competing.  If the trends from this update are indicative of the whole, then it looks like this is what they are doing.

14 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Yeah, absolutely. But I think my main point still stands - that tournament gamers almost unquestioningly take TO's rulings as gospel, which tends to influence the rest of the community, and that this may not necessarily be the healthiest attitude for the game as a whole. I can choose not to go, but if TO's blacklisting compendium armies leads everyone to believe that these armies are in some way unfair or bad for the game, then I'm less likely to find a casual game with my totally legal Bretonnians. I find the 'you can choose not to go' argument a little simplistic.

Again, not the fault of the TO's, more a fault with the community perception of TO's. Although I'm sure there are some TO's who do revel in the authority they're granted as community gatekeepers - that's just human nature.

Show me on the doll where the TO touched you Jamie!

I like the look of the direction they are going in as far as balancing. Changing point costs can be easily updated as they see meta and relative strength changes over time while directly changing a war scroll could do permanent damage to a unit that just needed a little boost.

5 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I agree but at the end of the day, most gamers are lazy and it's easy to agree to use X event pack because it's all done for you. Personally I don't think there is anything to worry about but then I'm UK based so very lucky when it comes to events. I know this can be very different in other parts of the world!

4 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I'm pleased it's still being done as blocks of models. If I buy 5 models as a unit I want to use all 5 ;) 

10 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I agree but at the end of the day, most gamers are lazy and it's easy to agree to use X event pack because it's all done for you. Personally I don't think there is anything to worry about but then I'm UK based so very lucky when it comes to events. I know this can be very different in other parts of the world!

I'm pleased it's still being done as blocks of models. If I buy 5 models as a unit I want to use all 5 ;) 

The concern was always when you want more than 20 (to get a bonus) but not 30, yet had to pay for 30 :P

32 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

It's a cheap book and supports the continued progress that we want.

Sure but the principle if they change the GHB by a great deal Id be ok with a re-purchase but if they make minor tweeks Hopefully they wont go and make you have to buy the whole thing.

13 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Show me on the doll where the TO touched you Jamie!

I did say I wasn't having a go at TO's! 9_9

And I can't show you where the TO touched me because the relevant areas have now been ruled to be 'legacy appendages' and have thus been removed from the doll.

1 minute ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I did say I wasn't having a go at TO's! 9_9

And I can't show you where the TO touched me because the relevant areas have now been ruled to be 'legacy appendages' and have thus been removed from the doll.

Hahaha! Had to resist proper laughing out loud in the office then. Nicely done B|

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

tournament gamers almost unquestioningly take TO's rulings as gospel, which tends to influence the rest of the community, and that this may not necessarily be the healthiest attitude for the game as a whole. I can choose not to go, but if TO's blacklisting compendium armies leads everyone to believe that these armies are in some way unfair or bad for the game, then I'm less likely to find a casual game with my totally legal Bretonnians. I find the 'you can choose not to go' argument a little simplistic.

Agreed.  This has been my motivation for carrying the anti-comp banner publicly for decades. What happens at big events, even those I don't attend, does impact my casual gaming.

Simplistic indeed.

As someone with a large lot of OOP miniatures to get around to posting on eBay, it is reassuring to hear that, at least some, compendium units are still there. If they removed them, I would have had to sell them quick and for cheap.

11 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

The shadow of GW remains cast

The shadow of GW was a largely conjured by charlatans making connections where none existed.

Only with Warhammer can we have a forum with a post about how Tomb Kings are too strong and another post where points increase on Tomb Kings is a ploy to shift sales on models.

Speculation and plots don't enhance my understanding or enjoyment of the game.  These things described here are not a massive injustice (even if they were not imaginary) in any sense and don't seem to deserve the full attention of the thread.

I am immensely excited about and find it better to instead discuss about how good the slayers will be.

30 Vulkites for 360 is a screaming deal.  Tanky tanky.  I think these changes could pull the faction together.

Archived