Paint brand  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Citadel
    • Vallejo
    • Army painter
    • Other (please comment)

What brand of paint do u use and why?

I use citadel paints, just because that is whats available almost every where. I read recently that vallejo paints have a more matt finish than citadel paints and i am wanting to try those. But i keep seeing these "model" or "game" color ranges. Does anyone know the difference and whats best for painting minis?

I use various brands, mostly Vallejo but I got quite a few Scale75 and Reaper MS paints as well. Citadel colors I mostly avoid these days, solely because of the pots used. I'd like to try other brands too but getting them is too much of a hassle and if they were better than what I have, I'd be unhappy with my current ones. Ignorance can be bliss after all! xD

It's amazing that GW didn't change their pots to something good by now though. GW paint pots are inferior to ALL others since 25 years by now. The first ones used, the ones GW did with HMG, were actually the best as the paints at least didn't dry out in those.

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I use various brands, mostly Vallejo but I got quite a few Scale75 and Reaper MS paints as well. Citadel colors I mostly avoid these days, solely because of the pots used. I'd like to try other brands too but getting them is too much of a hassle and if they were better than what I have, I'd be unhappy with my current ones. Ignorance can be bliss after all! xD

It's amazing that GW didn't change their pots to something good by now though. GW paint pots are inferior to ALL others since 25 years by now. The first ones used, the ones GW did with HMG, were actually the best as the paints at least didn't try out in those.

GW doesn't change their pots for a few key reasons.

Brand recognition, they are super recognisable, which is a surprisingly big thing. It helps particularly with the assumption that a significant amount of GW stuff is bought for people.

Straight from the pot. When it comes to basic, super beginner painting, its a lot easier. You don't need a pallet, you can stir it with a stick inside the pot etc. Dropper bottles basically require a palette, whether its wet or dry. Should you be painting straight from the pot? Not particularly, but it makes it a lot easier for beginners. When it comes to the contrast/xpress/speedpaints I actually prefer the bottles, since straight from the pot is a reasonable approach.

They have a giant machine that makes those pots.

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

What brand of paint do u use and why?

I use citadel paints, just because that is whats available almost every where. I read recently that vallejo paints have a more matt finish than citadel paints and i am wanting to try those. But i keep seeing these "model" or "game" color ranges. Does anyone know the difference and whats best for painting minis?

I have far too many paints, a habit I picked up during lockdown when I had no hobby time. There are various paints I like a lot in most ranges, but it feels like by far the most consistent paint I've used and basically my main paint line now is Duncan Rhode's Two Thin Coats. A bit more expensive than I'd like, but enjoyable to use. 

To answer your Vallejo question, to the best of my ability.

Vallejo have a few different paint ranges with different properties and those paint ranges have old and new versions for some of them.

Vallejo Model Colour (which has serial numbers in the 70.001 to 70.999 or so) is a range that was made for painting model kits like airplanes. It has names like French Mirage Blue, Intermediate Blue.  Pale Grey Blue and Blue Grey Pale are two different colours. It used to be known as a really good paint range, but time has moved on since then. They have been reformulating the range and changing their bottle design. The new range seems to be slowly filtering to the UK (at least where I am), but I haven't tried a huge number of them out. Given the good things I've heard and seen myself about the similar redesign of Vallejo Game Colour, I'm optimistic.  They tend to be pretty muted colours.

Vallejo Game Colour ( has serial numbers in the 72 range) is the fantasy range for Vallejo. The (unverified) story is that when Citadel wanted to change their paint line they talked to Vallejo but the deal fell through and a while later Vallejo came out with some paints that looked very like the old citadel paints with similar names. So they have paints like Goblin Green, Tinny Tin, Squid Pink. The original game colours don't have the best reputation, partly due to their age and lack of consistency paint to paint. The new range has been getting good reviews though and the ones I've used I've really liked. They tend to be a bit matter. 

A lot of people use the model air and game air colours from Vallejo. In particular the metallics have an absolutely great reputation, with Vallejo Model Air Silver (71.065) having a particularly stellar reputation, with either a brush or an airbrush.

Vallejo also have Vallejo Metal Colours, a frankly silly number of wonderful to use silvers, designed for an airbrush but coating really well with a brush. I generally default to Duraluminum, but just pick what you like the look of. 

AK Interactive 3rd Gen. This is a full fairly broad range. You didn't ask about them, but they are very similar to Vallejo. They both come from the same area of spain and the founder has the surname Vallejo, so I think there is some history. They have a range of colours I'd say is a mix of VMC and VGC. I've got a number of them, but have yet to test them out really. A lot of people swear by them, particularly their pastels. 

There are a lot of different ranges with different properties. Some have really colours, or types of colours and mediocre or even bad other colours. Some are kind of just weird. Scale 75's normal paints are actually gel based, and produce some of the most matt finishes. They definitely feel different to use. I mostly use them when I have a specific look in mind (The main non metallic ones I find myself returning to are a set of them I use for leather, since the matt finish lets it stand out against cloth) and I don't think I'd ever base coat with them. The metallics on the other hand feel lovely to use, and have some lovely seldom seen colours. I particularly like the alchemy colours, which are very bright metallic colours designed to fit as the brightest part of gold, brass, copper etc. Quite often the final highlight of a non silver colour ends up completely silver and can wash away the general look.

Are there any other paint ranges you would like to know about? I feel I might have spent too long typing about paint.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Brand recognition, they are super recognisable, which is a surprisingly big thing. It helps particularly with the assumption that a significant amount of GW stuff is bought for people.

Straight from the pot. When it comes to basic, super beginner painting, its a lot easier. You don't need a pallet, you can stir it with a stick inside the pot etc. Dropper bottles basically require a palette, whether its wet or dry. Should you be painting straight from the pot? Not particularly, but it makes it a lot easier for beginners. When it comes to the contrast/xpress/speedpaints I actually prefer the bottles, since straight from the pot is a reasonable approach.

I have far too many paints, a habit I picked up during lockdown when I had no hobby time. There are various paints I like a lot in most ranges, but it feels like by far the most consistent paint I've used and basically my main paint line now is Duncan Rhode's Two Thin Coats. A bit more expensive than I'd like, but enjoyable to use. 

To answer your Vallejo question, to the best of my ability.

Vallejo have a few different paint ranges with different properties and those paint ranges have old and new versions for some of them.

Vallejo Model Colour (which has serial numbers in the 70.001 to 70.999 or so) is a range that was made for painting model kits like airplanes. It has names like French Mirage Blue, Intermediate Blue.  Pale Grey Blue and Blue Grey Pale are two different colours. It used to be known as a really good paint range, but time has moved on since then. They have been reformulating the range and changing their bottle design. The new range seems to be slowly filtering to the UK (at least where I am), but I haven't tried a huge number of them out. Given the good things I've heard and seen myself about the similar redesign of Vallejo Game Colour, I'm optimistic.  They tend to be pretty muted colours.

Vallejo Game Colour ( has serial numbers in the 72 range) is the fantasy range for Vallejo. The (unverified) story is that when Citadel wanted to change their paint line they talked to Vallejo but the deal fell through and a while later Vallejo came out with some paints that looked very like the old citadel paints with similar names. So they have paints like Goblin Green, Tinny Tin, Squid Pink. The original game colours don't have the best reputation, partly due to their age and lack of consistency paint to paint. The new range has been getting good reviews though and the ones I've used I've really liked. They tend to be a bit matter. 

A lot of people use the model air and game air colours from Vallejo. In particular the metallics have an absolutely great reputation, with Vallejo Model Air Silver (71.065) having a particularly stellar reputation, with either a brush or an airbrush.

Vallejo also have Vallejo Metal Colours, a frankly silly number of wonderful to use silvers, designed for an airbrush but coating really well with a brush. I generally default to Duraluminum, but just pick what you like the look of. 

AK Interactive 3rd Gen. This is a full fairly broad range. You didn't ask about them, but they are very similar to Vallejo. They both come from the same area of spain and the founder has the surname Vallejo, so I think there is some history. They have a range of colours I'd say is a mix of VMC and VGC. I've got a number of them, but have yet to test them out really. A lot of people swear by them, particularly their pastels. 

There are a lot of different ranges with different properties. Some have really colours, or types of colours and mediocre or even bad other colours. Some are kind of just weird. Scale 75's normal paints are actually gel based, and produce some of the most matt finishes. They definitely feel different to use. I mostly use them when I have a specific look in mind (The main non metallic ones I find myself returning to are a set of them I use for leather, since the matt finish lets it stand out against cloth) and I don't think I'd ever base coat with them. The metallics on the other hand feel lovely to use, and have some lovely seldom seen colours. I particularly like the alchemy colours, which are very bright metallic colours designed to fit as the brightest part of gold, brass, copper etc. Quite often the final highlight of a non silver colour ends up completely silver and can wash away the general look.

Are there any other paint ranges you would like to know about? I feel I might have spent too long typing about paint.

This is great! I dont really know whats out there besides the weird colorshift paints some of my friends use. This has been helpfull. I quite like the AK products, might look into their paints too, didnt know they had those.

17 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Nah, they do it cause people need to rebuy their paints more often and every other reason feels like an excuse to me. :P Requiring a palette? Take a plate outta your cupboard and that's good enough for a start. You need to thin GW paints anyways, it's not like they're truly 100% pre-thinned. But ok, you like them that way and perhaps less experienced painters like the economics in general, I can just say that I hate them and that's the single reason why I buy them less and less. I'm not gonna refill them to make them usable.

40 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Nah, they do it cause people need to rebuy their paints more often and every other reason feels like an excuse to me. :P Requiring a palette? Take a plate outta your cupboard and that's good enough for a start. You need to thin GW paints anyways, it's not like they're truly 100% pre-thinned. But ok, you like them that way and perhaps less experienced painters like the economics in general, I can just say that I hate them and that's the single reason why I buy them less and less. I'm not gonna refill them to make them usable.

Sure? They probably do like that people have to rebuy the paint more often. I think you think I’m defending them, I’m not. It is what it is. Those reasons are from the former product designer who was interviewed by the Painting Phase. (Think that’s right). 
I’m not a big fan of going straight for the most cynical take one can think of. Sure, it’s often a factor, but it’s pretty limiting to just stick to that and only that. 

I didn’t say I liked the pots. I said I liked them for contrasts and washes, which do get used straight from the pot fairly often. Not all the time, but fairly often, particularly for a quick base coat. 

• Like 5

Yeah, for some types of paints it‘s not bad, that‘s true. But layer paints etc. have no business being in such pots for me. Thankfully I‘m not forced to buy them and there‘s plenty of excellent paints out there, so it‘s inconsequential anyways. 

I‘m a gigantic fan of going for the most cynical take as you‘ve so elegantly put it though! Might not lead to happiness but at least it doesn‘t lead to having only GW paints that annoy me! 😎

I flirt with many different paint lines... if you produce a purple paint, I'm all over that like a rash! I shudder to think how many different shades of purple I actually own... 

But the core of my assortment is Citadel. The main reason is simply because there's a Warhammer shop nearby and I'm lazy! I know a lot of people bemoan the 'pot' design, but I've never had a problem with it. You open the pot, scoop out the amount you need, you close the pot. There's colours I've had for ten years that are still perfectly fine. The names make them easy to remember too, I find. 

Vallejo is just as good as Citadel, though. They do some great metallics, and they do a true magenta that's kind of missing from Citadel's range. 

• Like 1

Mostly Citadel, as I use a lot of Contrast paints. I don't like the pots though and prefer to transfer almost everything to a palette. I also use GW shades and layer paints, but not exclusively.

For metallics, Vallejo Metal Color. For bases, Vallejo textures.

Currently mostly Vallejo since that was the general recommendation when I came back to painting about 5 years ago. No real complaints about their paints, either. Both model color and game color work well. A notabe exception to this is that I the classic Army Painter washes (Strong Tone and Dark Tone).

I have a few contrast paints. They are good, but the Citadel paint pots are such a downgrade over dropper bottles. I spilled both the white and black at some point, which given the cost is pretty annoying. These two things, cost (citadel is about 1.5 times the price of other good model paints at no increase in quality) and the paint pots, make me avoid Citadel overall. I kind of feel like I have progressed past the Citadel system in my painting, anyway. For beginners, it's nice to have the structure, but once you get comfortable mixing paints and using the color wheel, you don't really need it.

Currently, I am looking to maybe get a speed paint set. I already use inks a lot, and speed paints are kind of just purpose-made model painting inks. I am hearing good things about the new Army Painter and Vallejo ranges. Might go with army painter, since their washes are already my go-to.

I think citadel have the advantage of inertia and sunk cost. I'm not opposed to tryung other brands and use army painter and colour forge spray paints a lot.

For regular paint though, I have a large box of citadel pots from the last twenty years, and when one runs out in the middle of a project it's easier to just replace it rather than try something else which won't quite match, or which I'll need to use differently and experiment with to get the same look. I'm thus a bit looked in to using citadel. I certainly can't afford to just replace my pots wholesale, even if it would then be cheaper to replace them in the long run.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I have a few contrast paints. They are good, but the Citadel paint pots are such a downgrade over dropper bottles. I spilled both the white and black at some point, which given the cost is pretty annoying.

People keep telling me that I'll grow to loathe the Citadel pots once I spill one. Hah! 

It should be multiple choice.

1. Citadel - Because I know what to expect of them

2. Vallejo - Dropper Bottles are great, as are the colors (esp. for Air Brushing)

3. Scale75 - Mostly Metallics (their Golds and Copper Colors are on a completely different Level, lookign forward to testing their alchemy colors soon!)

Edited by JackStreicher
spelling
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

People keep telling me that I'll grow to loathe the Citadel pots once I spill one. Hah! 

It's only really a problem with their washes and stuff, but those are their most expensive paints, as well.

It's not like the pots are a deal breaker if you are used to them, but dropper bottles are just so much more hassle free.

I did almost a full switch from Citadel to Scale75 and am really happy with most of their colours. As mentioned above the metallics are - from my point of view - without any doubt the best ones available.

I said other. I used to only use Citadel, but have switched to Two Thin Coats. I love the line and it keeps getting more colors, which was my original complaint about it. The coverage and consistency is great, and it has great QC in my experience. 

I've used Vallejo for years, but not impressed with the recent changes with game colour and dread to think what the new version of model colour will be like now. Until now, I found them to be unbeatable for cost and availability where I am.  But I have a bad habit of buying up tons of paints as and when I see them in stores, even if I don't need new paints! I love trying new paint lines! But theres just too many now and I do get sick of companies change them so often.

So now I'll probably switch to a selection of two thin coats and a handful of citadel colours that I just can't do without and become very strict to just how many colours I buy going forward. No more buying each and every triad and new wave or line that appears in a range.

I was very tempted to by the fanatic line, but 200+ paints seemed excessive and one of its strengths was that it had a good range of triads which I want to move away from relying on.  

At this point, I'd be happy to have a basic line of 'foundation' style paints again and a decent enough bone colour to turn them all into their own highlight colours. I'm getting old enough to not care about three stage highlights any more.

2 hours ago, HCMistborn said:

I said other. I used to only use Citadel, but have switched to Two Thin Coats. I love the line and it keeps getting more colors, which was my original complaint about it. The coverage and consistency is great, and it has great QC in my experience. 

I really love the burgundy set, Royal Cloak and Swordhilt Burgundy in particular.

• Like 1

I mostly use citadel just because I that's the gaming store I most commonly frequent, but I do also use other brands for various things - vallejo metal colors for grey metalids, greenstuff world metal pigments + vallejo metal medium for yellow metals, handful of individual vallejo model color, P3, or army painter speed paints for particular colors here and there, occasional artist inks (usually just white for zenithal undercoats), I recently picked up some oil paints to experiment with oil washes in future projects, etc.

I play around with whatever really, but use citadel more than the rest combined, but again mostly just due to the convenience of happening to be at a warhammer store, and because hobby stores tend to have the fully line of GW stuff.  the other stuff I use I typically have to get online even when I go to indie stores, because they never maintain a full range like they do for the GW stuff.