TOW 1.0 - Orc & Goblin Tribes

Enough about humies, stunties and pointy ears...This is the thread to talk about Da Boyz, the Orc and Goblin tribes, from the nomadic Waaaghs to the Troll Hordes.

Here we can have a nuanced debate about how to give a proper krumping, plus any other topic greenskin-related. 

Let the Waaagh begin!

3 hours ago, Trokair said:

While I am not overly interested in Greenskins, the Idea of a Troll army has a certain appeal. Will be keeping an eye out for when the Journal comes along.

Yeah, I think the Troll Horde is going to be absurdly popular. Maybe not to the levels of Exiled Bretonians, which seems to be the default Bretonian list nowadays, but close enough (also way less competitive, but that won't stop many o&g players).

Anyone who's interested: if you search Arcane Journal Orc and Goblin Tribes on GW's webstore you can find it already. Same for the Card Pack (I just searched Card Pack and it was one of the automatic options).

Technically they aren't available for a few minutes still.

9 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Anyone who's interested: if you search Arcane Journal Orc and Goblin Tribes on GW's webstore you can find it already. Same for the Card Pack (I just searched Card Pack and it was one of the automatic options).

Technically they aren't available for a few minutes still.

Aha, super. I ordered the Arcane journal and new Black orc bigboss. I would have ordered the cards if I had managed to buy the Bretonnian/Tomb Kings ones, which I didn't.

• Like 1

Kiknik Toofsnatcha.

Anyone think this will be a multibuild plastic kit that had been delayed that can make This character as well as standard Wolf Chariots and other Hero Chariots?  

Edit: I stand corrected, He’s on a big Wolf 😅

IMG_7191.png

Edited by Kronos

Posted (edited)

Digging more and more the Troll Horde. I have like nine trolls from the Skull Pass box, and was looking to buy some of the old Stone trolls anyway. Should have a good starting point for it!

Edited by Jator
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heck yeah, I'm definitely making the Troll Horde!  And possibly just all puking swamp trolls.  Maybe with a Colossal Squig as a proxy for a giant (a little surprised that thing isn't in there?).

Or do all Trolls puke?  I don't have the Arcane Journal yet.

I want 2 Hags, but one will need to be kitbashed for uniqueness.  Guess I'd pick up that Ogdrugz or whatever his name is too.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Heck yeah, I'm definitely making the Troll Horde!  And possibly just all puking swamp trolls.  Maybe with a Colossal Squig as a proxy for a giant (a little surprised that thing isn't in there?).

Or do all Trolls puke?  I don't have the Arcane Journal yet.

I want 2 Hags, but one will need to be kitbashed for uniqueness.  Guess I'd pick up that Ogdrugz or whatever his name is too.  

All trolls puke :)

The Dankhold Troggoth and Great Unclean One seem to be the obvious places to start a unique hag conversion

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Troll horde looks really fun, but my main army is night goblins. They're incredibly more reliable now with Warband rule, and these fanatics are a real terror now that they can't be targeted by anything AND you can release them at the most convenient time without them being forcibly "triggered" by these pesky light cavalry units sacrificing themselves.

Bow units tend to be less effective (they don't have the range to really threaten enemy units with volley fire, they usually have to move to do something), spears is certainly the new way to go. Like in previous Battle, spam of goblin heroes in the units is cheap and surprisingly dangerous for your opponent, especially with netters in their own unit and that magic banner giving +1 CC to its unit members. Try a front of 7 with 4 heroes with that, it's not that highly expensive in the end. :P

I like squig hoppers. They are much more reliable than regular squigs because they're not impetuous and their random move actually give them a lot of opportunities to get rid of enemy light units that tend to turn around your formations (they're especially good to chase after gyrocopters).

The big squigs are awesome. They're completely different from before (now a proper monster instead of being just "a bigger fanatic") and they give a needed damage dealer to the army. IMHO they're the actual new goblin chariots, since their impact hits DO have AP (I was very disappointed with how low "normal impact hits" are now) - and they can really kill stuff by themselves alone.

You don't even need black orcs to babysit them. Leave these dumdum orcs at the cave, wear your robes and eat your mushrooms : it's time to shave beards !

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 5

On 4/5/2024 at 12:03 PM, Sarouan said:

Try a front of 7 with 4 heroes with that, it's not that highly expensive in the end. :P

I don't think that's allowed based on the Too Many Characters rule on page 209 of the Core Rules. I think the max you could take is 3 in that frontage (not that that's bad).

35 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I don't think that's allowed based on the Too Many Characters rule on page 209 of the Core Rules. I think the max you could take is 3 in that frontage (not that that's bad).

You're right ! It would work certainly better with a front of 6 with 3 characters, instead. Thanks for reminding me that point, there are still so many changes to keep in head.

28 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

You're right ! It would work certainly better with a front of 6 with 3 characters, instead. Thanks for reminding me that point, there are still so many changes to keep in head.

I only remembered because I read it in, I think, the Goonhammer review of the rules, and was surprised it was needed.

6 with 3 does sound good. I think the cheapness of Night Goblin characters make them really quite good. I'm a sucker for the absurd stats of things like Chaos Lords, but for 30 points for 3 WS 4 Str 4 attacks on a two wound toughness 4 body really is great bang for your buck.

So I tested the Troll Horde this weekend - like, litterally, with only trolls, troll hag and a giant. Stupidity tests weren't really an issue (even if I failed, they still go towards the enemy since I deployed them right in front of them :P ). Regeneration was more the issue, because they count in combat results and while I do indeed lose less models in the end, I still lose the battle because I can only count on my own damage to gain points. And trolls aren't really the most reliable with WS 3.

The giant died by a charge by the bretonnian duke on pegasus. Yes, he had monstruous killing blow and yes he made only 1 6 that mattered. The pegasus did, at least, and it was before the FAQ. :D

The Troll Hag, on the other hand, was incredibly tough. Slimy shanks really helps a lot, and the possibility to have a Talisman of Protection adds to its already great survivability. She actually managed to kill both the duke and another hero on pegasus (and the other general that was a hierophant on bone dragon, we were playing a 2v2 game) after a few rounds. Her special attacks don't look like much, but they can be really dangerous. It should tell a lot that she was the only surviving miniature from my army...

In the end...I'm mixed. Playing the Troll Horde thematically, like really with only trolls, isn't really playable. It is more intended to be used with other goblin / orc units in the list. Enhanced Regeneration is nice and all, but it helps mostly against shooting (doesn't really matter if your trolls run away from combat and are trampled in pursuit). Troll Magic is interesting, but it's not the best with the only troll character that can use it because she can only be level 2 at best - you have to use goblin and orc shamans in reality.

Still fun and have interesting mechanisms, it's definitely another flavour of orcs and goblin army. The fact I can't include night goblins in it and that I can still take the best part (Troll Hag :P ) in my regular army makes me think maybe I'll just play the regular army instead with a bit of trolls in it...since it kinda feels like the Troll Horde will be eventually if you really want to optimize it a bit.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

@Sarouan

What if you had multiple hags? Think it would be more competitive if going pure troll?

I don't think so, because they're characters and they're still expensive. They're also easy to avoid if you don't want to fight them (Behemoth with Move 5, that's not the fastest we can find for sure). Furthermore, there's only one Talisman of Protection. :P Their ld of 8 still means it's not that big of a reliability when you really need it. Pure troll is, IMHO, not meant to be played that way and certainly not on a real competitive intent. It's more for the fun of it than anything else, I believe.

Edited by Sarouan
typo
  • Thanks 2

I picked up a box of Fellwaters that someone had exchanged today at GW store, got lucky there.  But after reading through this and other forums it does seem like I'll need to have some non-Troll Shaman or two in there as well.  On Goonhammer they suggest perhaps a Level 4 Weirdnob with some Boar-boyz.  Those might look good with some swampy and or crystalline cavern bases; I could see boars sniffing around for mushrooms or something.  Was also thinking perhaps Spider Rider screens but are those Night Goblins? 

The Old World Builder app doesn't have all the restrictions built in.  This coming week I think I can get the OG Almanack.

I just have so many Troggoths from AOS that I feel highly compelled to run them in both games, similar to Daemons who could be in 3 different games if cleverly magni-based.  Though I guess Night Goblins could also do that.  Shame that they can't hang with Trolls in the Old World though 😛

Spider Riders are "common goblins", that's why they're included in the Troll Horde list.

Reason why people suggest to take a mounted shaman is to keep up with the trolls. They can move fast with the spell that gives them +2 Move, and the whole point of this list is to send a wave of stupid monsters right in the enemy front line as fast as possible.

Night goblins definitely can hang with trolls, just in the "generic list". Don't forget you can take a Troll Horde as allies. ;)

• Thanks 1