Warhammer: The Old World News and Rumours Thread

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

HH kits are more competitive price than 40k kits, and way cheaper in terms of plastic per kit. They are big kits too.

I can confirm this statement, seeing as how I have purchase a kit of 20 HH marines for less then half the price of the same number of 40K marines.

16 hours ago, Sarouan said:

This is stupid to say that, because such a "legal entity" would have no meaning in the real world : it can't produce anything without humans. Thankfully, we're still not at the state where robots completely replace mankind intervention.

It's nice for ideological arguments going your way, but when you resort to them, you just prove you're out of the reality and you do it solely to prove you're right. Not a good sign, if I may say so.

Reality of GW is that it's not shareholders who sculpt the miniatures, produce them, paint them, advertise them, sell them. Never forget that even if their influence is indeed great in the company, it is not the only thing that matters in them.

Do you live on this planet? GW is known for underpaying their employees. Their sculptors don’t make decisions, in fact they have nothing to say. Shareholders and the CEO run the company, the rest is irrelevant (to them). (Why do you think Peachy, Duncan, Louise quit? Just ask a GW Employee about their pay)

I don’t know why you are so desperately trying to white knight for a legal entity with straw man arguments. It either points put some level of naivety or inexperience on how companies work.

You could learn about this by googling for 2 minutes: How do Publicly Traded Companies operate?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think it is more a tease of the dawis release coming.

Very specific character though to be building the hype, surprised it not a Grombrindal Image and question. Not that I’m trying to run the Marketing for them 😂🍺

4 minutes ago, Kronos said:

GW just dropped this image on their insta, tease at Bugman being Dwarf Character Number 2? 

IMG_3560.jpeg

The ilustration is sick, but I'll be dissapointed if the two special characters we get are both already known. Ungrim is cool, no arguing about that, but I'd like to be surprised. I've personally enjoyed knowing about Cecil Gastonne, Ogdruz and Kiknik.

33 minutes ago, Jator said:

The ilustration is sick, but I'll be dissapointed if the two special characters we get are both already known. Ungrim is cool, no arguing about that, but I'd like to be surprised. I've personally enjoyed knowing about Cecil Gastonne, Ogdruz and Kiknik.

Yeah. They have to leave some room to create their own "universe".

Is Bugman around in the time of TOW? If so has his brewery been burnt down already?

All that said, didn't GW mention another returning character? I'd it too much to hope that Dwarves will get three like TKs and Brets, rather than two like O&G?

4 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Is Bugman around in the time of TOW? If so has his brewery been burnt down already?

Old fluff seems to imply the events of his brewery were quite old. They didn't give dates in later mentions in the last editions of Battle. So it's entirely possible, given dwarves live for centuries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sarouan said:

Old fluff seems to imply the events of his brewery were quite old. They didn't give dates in later mentions in the last editions of Battle. So it's entirely possible, given dwarves live for centuries.

Bugman was explicitly delivering Special Brew to the Emperor when his brewery got wrecked. Given that the Empire's not had an Emperor for 700+ years by TOW, that would make him very old, like Kragg the Grim old.

I've already posted about the possibility of Bugman (or his dad, Zamnil/Samuel) showing up in a fresh guise in TOW as a successful surface merchant lord in TOW, which feels appropriate if they've still got a delivery cart. Most of it's in the special character speculation thread

TBH if GW wants to bring back the old miniatures of Bugman rangers for TOW, they'll do so and write something about it in the TOW lore. We will already have the slayer models from Storm of Chaos, so why not Bugman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion and Teclis will be the high elf special characters, at this point.

On 5/10/2024 at 8:31 AM, Sarouan said:

Price increase is always bad news, not just for the customer : for the company that sells as well.

GW can afford to sell the Imperium and stormbringer magazines at £9.99, which contain entire kits that are for the most part double the magazine price. I brought 2 Stormbringer magazines with the squig herd in for £19.98 where as if I went into a GW store I would be paying £65. Does the cardboard Box cost an extra £45.02 to make for two card boxes? 

They sell the magazines at this price, because 1. it brings in new people and 2. thier sales department calculated that they will still make a profit despite selling them at a "discount". 

This is just straight greed on the part of the stakholders and Upper management. GW will get away with it as well, since people will still fork out to buy the newest models, and we will probaly get another price increase next year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrion and Teclis will be the high elf special characters, at this point.

Wouldn't suprise me either, however High Elves were always a pretty popular faction back in the day, and GW went ahead and made Youngrim (including not giving him the Dragon Cloak that he got, canonically, later in the timeline), so I'd expect at least one if them (probably Tyrion) to get a new resin sculpt with the absence of some of his signature gear. I wouldn't be surprised if both get resin sculpts to be honest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AquaRegis said:

They sell the magazines at this price, because 1. it brings in new people and 2. thier sales department calculated that they will still make a profit despite selling them at a "discount".

If you think the GW magazines are sold to make a profit, you're sorely mistaken. It's the standard "sell an entry product at a loss, let something else elsewhere absorb the cost". That's why indies can't afford to do the same : it only works with big corporations like GW that are so diversified in their sales they can do this. That's also why GW doesn't do that for the whole range of their products : if they did, they would go bankrupt.

7 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both get resin sculpts to be honest.

Honestly they don't really need it, they got nice sculpts in 6th and 7th (metal molds should still be in GW hands).

two-high-elf-brothers-named-tyrion-and-t

Even though the old minis in 4th are still charming.

d0xfs13ahnf31.jpg?auto=webp&s=94c28aa139

Ungrim didn't get a new miniature in 8th, he was stuck with the old 4th edition one. That's why he got a new sculpt, IMHO.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

If you think the GW magazines are sold to make a profit, you're sorely mistaken. It's the standard "sell an entry product at a loss, let something else elsewhere absorb the cost". That's why indies can't afford to do the same : it only works with big corporations like GW that are so diversified in their sales they can do this. That's also why GW doesn't do that for the whole range of their products : if they did, they would go bankrupt.

Yeah you might be right, it could be that. But if the production costs were so high based on the RRP then it's a massive loss, and I really cannot see them maintaining that. 

Regardless this is about price rises, and I still think that this is price gouging and greed, and not a reaction to 'world events'. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-12942013/Games-Workshop-posts-record-profit-revenue-growth.html#:~:text=The FTSE 250 miniature maker,£83.6million last year. 

The keep reporting record profits year after year and selling parts of the IP to Amazon and other 3rd parties. Unless Thier projected numbers are dire and there's a big downturn that's not being made public, it just looks like price gouging. 

Oathmark, warlord, Victrix, etc have detailed modular kits and have managed to keep thier prices reasonable, and Thier manufacturing is pretty similar to GW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarouan said:

Honestly they don't really need it, they got nice sculpts in 6th and 7th (metal molds should still be in GW hands).

two-high-elf-brothers-named-tyrion-and-t

That Tyrion is converted, here's his metal version: 

gw-99810210003.jpg

The horse is, I think, from Valten's. I've no idea where Tyrion himself comes from, I think it's a highly converted/kitbashed plastic High Elf price mini? 

But the issue is, at the time of The Old World Tyrion had not yet been given the Dragon Armour of Aenarion by his dad, Malhandir by the Ellyrions, or the Heart of Avelorn by Alarielle. I also believe Teclis hasn't made the Sword of Teclis yet at this point, though I might be misremembering. 

The point being, a lot of what Tyrion is wearing/riding on his sculpt is anachronistic. That, convinced with the popularity of High Elves generally, and the Tyrion in particular, makes me think he's a shoe in for a Young Tyrion resin sculpt.

But I may of course be completely wrong. Who knows 😆

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 7:48 PM, Sarouan said:

I'm sure the mags also rely on people who subscribe to every issue, some of which are terrible value having only a couple of paints.

10 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

I'm sure the mags also rely on people who subscribe to every issue, some of which are terrible value having only a couple of paints.

But this has improved with the addition of contrasts.

There is next to no chance of Tyrion and Teclis being featured in the Old World when they are aos IP now.

I think probably that means Eltharion also is a no go (and in any event the war against Grom I also after this timeline).

I think probably new special characters for high elves is the way forwards. 

im most curious if wood elves get their full cast list - all of whom I think are active ?

1 hour ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

There is next to no chance of Tyrion and Teclis being featured in the Old World when they are aos IP now.

I didn't think that's the case. GW didn't want miniatures to be shared between AoS and TOW, but I don't think they necessarily care whether named characters are shared. After all, Angron, Mortarion, Magnus, Guilliman and Jonson are all in both 40k and Horus Heresy.

And it's not like anyone running Teclis in TOW would be using his AoS mini anyway, nor whatever huge god avatar Tyrion eventually gets. Whereas if/when Morty, Magnus and Angry Ron get Daemon versions in HH (like Fulgrim has) you can guarantee a lot of people will use their 40k counterparts rather than whatever fragile resin sculpts Forgeworld come out with.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 10:31 PM, AquaRegis said:

Yeah you might be right, it could be that. But if the production costs were so high based on the RRP then it's a massive loss, and I really cannot see them maintaining that. 

Regardless this is about price rises, and I still think that this is price gouging and greed, and not a reaction to 'world events'. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-12942013/Games-Workshop-posts-record-profit-revenue-growth.html#:~:text=The FTSE 250 miniature maker,£83.6million last year. 

The keep reporting record profits year after year and selling parts of the IP to Amazon and other 3rd parties. Unless Thier projected numbers are dire and there's a big downturn that's not being made public, it just looks like price gouging. 

Oathmark, warlord, Victrix, etc have detailed modular kits and have managed to keep thier prices reasonable, and Thier manufacturing is pretty similar to GW. 

I believe Victrix and Wargames Atlantic do their plastic kits in China, but the companies in the Lead belt (Warlord, northstar, perrys) are done by Renedra, which afaik are more or less the same people and equipment that made the models for GW before them going digital. Without knowing the details I would guess that purely on production point of view GW can produce the plastic kits cheaper than the competition and still can charge a price that is multiple times higher than them. It’s pretty good business.

edit. After some research, it looks like Victrix have their own cnc equipment, which would explain the amount of kits they are putting out.

Edited by Jamopower

2 hours ago, Jamopower said:

I believe Victrix and Wargames Atlantic do their plastic kits in China, but the companies in the Lead belt (Warlord, northstar, perrys) are done by Renedra, which afaik are more or less the same people and equipment that made the models for GW before them going digital. Without knowing the details I would guess that purely on production point of view GW can produce the plastic kits cheaper than the competition and still can charge a price that is multiple times higher than them. It’s pretty good business.

edit. After some research, it looks like Victrix have their own cnc equipment, which would explain the amount of kits they are putting out.

I don't think Victrix does the production inhouse, but they definitively do their manufacturing in Great Britain as on the their plastic set headers is a big flag Union Jack flag with Made in Great Britian on.

About prices: It's 43,95 euro (without discount) for 36 mini's of this quality and variety. The only thing that is stopping GW to make huge plastic sets with 30-40 mini's(new State troops, Gors and ...) for 50 euro is greed. Those Victrix mini's have a lot more customization than i.e CoS Steelhelms. I own i.e the Steelhems and lots of Victrix sets. For the same price as those early Saxons, I get 10 steelhelms with very limited customization options.

both_2048x.jpg?v=1711639100Freeguild Steelhelms

• Like 1