Gitzdee

Poll: lick or no lick?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do u lick?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but i use something else
    • Yes, my partner cant stand it

Licking your brush makes your painting better. 

FALSE- Emma: Don’t lick your brushes, you never know where Nurgle lurks! To get the point back on your brushes after cleaning them, use your fingers and gently pull your brush through them to get that precise tip back, helping keep your highlights super sharp. 

That’s seven long-standing painting myths sent scarpering back to the Golden Demon’s niche in the Warp. 

I do not agree. It gives me painting super powers for sure.

This made me wonder if i am the only one getting painting powers this way.

Edited by Gitzdee

On 12/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, Bayul said:

Is this poll asking adults if they are licking a petroleum-derived polymer-based substance of their brushes?

I mean, we are all ingesting a bunch of petroleum based byproducts all the time, some of which we now know are also certainly bad for us. I'm not saying consuming tiny amounts of acrylic medium isn't also bad for us, but in the head scheme of things it's a pretty small thing. 

48 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I mean, we are all ingesting a bunch of petroleum based byproducts all the time, some of which we now know are also certainly bad for us. I'm not saying consuming tiny amounts of acrylic medium isn't also bad for us, but in the head scheme of things it's a pretty small thing. 

If we look at artist's paints; lead, cadmium, cobalt, several borates, arsenic, mercury, antimony, copper, nickel and manganese are on the menu.

As far as I know, minipaints are nontoxic (not so sure about kimera though), but take care when branching out.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

If we look at artist's paints; lead, cadmium, cobalt, several borates, arsenic, mercury, antimony, copper, nickel and manganese are on the menu.

As far as I know, minipaints are nontoxic (not so sure about kimera though), but take care when branching out.

I suppose these are oil-based. The kerosene smell of mineral spirits should keep any sane person from putting anything into their mouth.

54 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I suppose these are oil-based. The kerosene smell of mineral spirits should keep any sane person from putting anything into their mouth.

Pthalo pigments and cadmium are certainly also in acrylic. Source: my collection.

The medium does not matter for most of these.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Yeah that's a good point. A lot of traditional pigments contain various heavy metals which are generally really bad for you. 

21 hours ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

From following this discussion I seem to think the question has been misrepresented. I only ever lick my brush AFTER it's been cleaned, but some of the comments here make me wonder about just when folk are licking their brushes. 

In the Grim Darkness of the 90s and early 2000s, most people hadn't discovered wet palettes. Back then, one's tongue was the ideal way to thin paints to the perfect consistency. It's a hard habit to break 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3