Next Faction - What would you like to see?

Gaz Taylor

For me, new Elves. All the Elves.

For the game, maybe something like an insectoid or otherwise non-humanoid race for GA: Death (Risen Fishmen?) to expand them a bit. There's not a whole ton of variety there and the Mortal Realms offer a lot of options to unearth some fallen empire style factions.

More out there: Elemental faction. Destruction is an obvious fit but they could be styled to fit any alliance.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Thanatos Ares said:

I thought Morr wasn't just broken up but completely consumed by Nagash thus preventing his return?

Waaagh! Skullcrack iz comin fer ya

Didn't read all the End Times tie ins, but all I can find re: Morr dying during the End Times online is some ****** on 1d4chan about Morr being dead because Morr and Usirian are the same thing, which they are not.

11 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

For me, new Elves. All the Elves.

For the game, maybe something like an insectoid or otherwise non-humanoid race for GA: Death (Risen Fishmen?) to expand them a bit. There's not a whole ton of variety there and the Mortal Realms offer a lot of options to unearth some fallen empire style factions.

More out there: Elemental faction. Destruction is an obvious fit but they could be styled to fit any alliance.

An elemental destruction faction from Forge World in a continuation of the two Incarnate Elemental models would be ace.

8 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

For the game, maybe something like an insectoid or otherwise non-humanoid race for GA: Death (Risen Fishmen?) to expand them a bit.

That wouldn't really interest me, much. I mean, I get it, it's an epic fantasy world that is very much unlike our real world... but I still like things to have some kind of mythic underpinning. Random zombie fishmen would bore the poop out of me.

9 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

More out there: Elemental faction.

I think that Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth are the model for elemental factions... and that's a very good thing.

GW is starting to realize that they aren't the only game in town. They can't afford to just have "elves" or "dwarves" and not put any effort into distinguishing them, the way they used to... because they have competition now. There are lots of ways to interpret dwarves in lots of different games. GW hasn't got a monopoly anymore. This is a good thing, because it's forced them to up their game. Flesh Eaters aren't just ghouls, they're ghouls with some beautiful unique models and some fascinating background that is tragic and messed up, with this weird "evolution of death" thing going on, as once-normal humans progress from cannibals to insane cannibals to vampire-blood-drinking-monster-cannibals to winged giant cannibals to, eventually, turning into varghulfs (I think). Fyreslayers aren't just dwarves or fire-elementals, they're a unique and amazing combination of the two.

So I don't think we're going to see an "elemental" faction any more than Fyreslayers are fire elementals or Sylvaneth are wood elementals. What we're going to see, though, might be fascinating and unique factions that are interpretations on fantasy tropes and might include some aspects of being elemental. So, for example, it might turn out that Ulgu is a vast "sea of shadows" so the Shadow Aelves, when we see them, are kind of merfolky and have water powers and pet sea monsters. Perhaps the light Aelves who hang out with Tirion will turn out to have an air-and-flying-and-eagles theme going on, too.

But I would put money on not seeing a vanilla "elementals" faction... and I approve.

6 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Care to explain? I'm curious.

Fishmen are a silly games development joke dating back decades. When the games developers/sculptors were asked what they were working on at Games Days or magazine interviews they'd always say "fishmen", and were occasionally even taken seriously by very silly, pre internet people. The fishmen in joke persisted to such an extent over the the course of WFB's existence that it got to the point that even a few army books had daft references to them alluded to in timeline entries about "unexplored undersea empires" with plenty of fishy puns.

Codswallop if you ask me.

4 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

A 'good' death faction could be interesting.

Possibly along the lines of a Hades-vibe, maybe even an ancient priest/aspect of Morr? Heck, even just a kindly version of the Grim Reaper. Kinda like a 'free-peoples of Death'.

Sigmar and Chaos like messing with the 'natural' order of death, and Nagash seeks to enslave the dead.

This faction just want the natural cycle of death & life left be, and fight against any who seek to tinker with it.

From what I can gather in the fluff, in AoS it's entirely possible to be 'dead' and carry on 'living' without actually being undead.

Sort of "so opposite to the Sylvaneth that they're actually the same".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nagash is more like Hades honestly I think nagash has mellowed out somewhat it's sigmar that's making me raise eyebrows right now. 

6 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Has he? How so?

Well according to the stories of mannfred he is okay with leaving stuff alone if they swear loyalty to him. It's only if you betray him or rebel is when he does the old normal nagash stuff. He is the kind of the person who will protect his property since they "belong" to him but if you bite his hand well game over. 

edit:While sigmar is turning more how should I say? "Knight templar/witch hunter" kind of mindset. 

With Order securing the seeds of hope and I'd like to see the Collegiate Arcanum re-established in the Greywater Fastness and an army built around the Arcance. Apprentices as battle line troups that haven't yet realised their full potential and so perhaps just have shorting attacks rather than access to magic per se. More arcane warmachines, golems, elementals, etc...

2 hours ago, Age of The Erstwood said:

I'd like to see... an army built around the Arcance. Apprentices as battle line troups that haven't yet realised their full potential and so perhaps just have shorting attacks rather than access to magic per se. 

You will likely get your wish (though not quite as intended).  Your sentence pretty much describes how Tzeentch Arcanites are shaping up to be...

Elves could be a big thing bringing players from other systems, including 40k, to AoS. But therefore I think it would be an strategic mistake to release them so close to such a heavy, popular moment of releases (DW, GS, Prospero, Magnus/Tzeentch). Either updating Devotees, Free Guild, etc., or releasing a not so decisive faction such as first elves. Steamhead seem therefore more fitting. 

On 23/09/2016 at 4:19 PM, Wraith01 said:

I'd love it if they surprised us with new factions that aren't related to the old stuff. 

Female models for the factions we have... 

Reckon we could see that when they do Death in a new skeleton unit ;) 

On 23/09/2016 at 8:20 PM, Bjarni St. said:

With how mythologised the Fishmen army has been in previous editions I think groundwork has certainly been done.

(Fishmen are an old, bad in-joke)

Aly Morrison did confirm he's sculpted some concepts

On 9/23/2016 at 3:13 PM, ElectricPaladin said:

That wouldn't really interest me, much. I mean, I get it, it's an epic fantasy world that is very much unlike our real world... but I still like things to have some kind of mythic underpinning. Random zombie fishmen would bore the poop out of me.

I think that Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth are the model for elemental factions... and that's a very good thing.

GW is starting to realize that they aren't the only game in town. They can't afford to just have "elves" or "dwarves" and not put any effort into distinguishing them, the way they used to... because they have competition now. There are lots of ways to interpret dwarves in lots of different games. GW hasn't got a monopoly anymore. This is a good thing, because it's forced them to up their game. Flesh Eaters aren't just ghouls, they're ghouls with some beautiful unique models and some fascinating background that is tragic and messed up, with this weird "evolution of death" thing going on, as once-normal humans progress from cannibals to insane cannibals to vampire-blood-drinking-monster-cannibals to winged giant cannibals to, eventually, turning into varghulfs (I think). Fyreslayers aren't just dwarves or fire-elementals, they're a unique and amazing combination of the two.

So I don't think we're going to see an "elemental" faction any more than Fyreslayers are fire elementals or Sylvaneth are wood elementals. What we're going to see, though, might be fascinating and unique factions that are interpretations on fantasy tropes and might include some aspects of being elemental. So, for example, it might turn out that Ulgu is a vast "sea of shadows" so the Shadow Aelves, when we see them, are kind of merfolky and have water powers and pet sea monsters. Perhaps the light Aelves who hang out with Tirion will turn out to have an air-and-flying-and-eagles theme going on, too.

But I would put money on not seeing a vanilla "elementals" faction... and I approve.

Oh, that reminds me...I need a magma dragon for my Lodge :) thanks!

Skeletons, ghouls, mummy's and zombies are covered I believe. Vampires are so diverse they can always wheel out another type. Thinking of the bloodlines there's more factions right there. 

Although I do agree that Death needs more factions I feel that Destruction needs more too. There is certainly history of other races in e old war hammer world and we can look at blood bowl for some answers, werewolves are there and the answer to everyone's prayers (pun intended.. Wait for it) Amazons. Very now what with Wonder Woman and all that. Then they can forty k them up and release sisters. 

Archived