Who leads your armies?

Lightbox

So I thought it would be nice to have a little thread for people to share the cool lore or models for the heroes who lead their armies in their games of AoS. Whether you have entire books of lore or even just a name and favourite moustache wax brand for the heroes feel free to write about them here and let others appreciate and be inspired by the work put into them!

• Like 3

I wrote up a bit of fluff for my dudes over here:

The main idea is that the leader of my Deathrattle kingdom, Naram-Sin the First Judge, is the first human to ever pass judgement on another, which was previously seen as exclusively the domain of the gods. Or so people say. May or may not be accurate. That resulted in him and all of the kingdom he was from being cursed forever to be, well, skeletons basically.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 3

I've got a whole little write-up for my spiderfang army, the "frostvenom stalktribe". They hop themselves up on a "potion" that is a mix of arctic spider blood and venom that gives them unnatural resistance to the elements and pain. They are currently led by the shaman Sno'zag da blue, the most long lived of the tribe's shamans, who's skin has grown as hard as ice and the scuttleboss Frosgit Neckstumpa who wields a large iron-ice axe and is known for decapitating any gits who challenge his authority.

• Like 2

My current PtG Warlord is a Deathmaster named (imaginatively) Noserenda known for his love of shiny things and lethal traps. 

He has yet to survive a battle :P Though i am sure he will have a long career ahead of him and definitely wont suffer a terrible accident when we go up to 1000pts and i can take a Verminlord ;)

(Side bar, the Skaven definitely need a mechanic for different warlords backstabbing and seizing command :D

• Like 2

I’m building a massive solo campaign, but most are lead by a generic foot hero (who each have their own plot armor). Without getting too into the lore:

Melusai Ironscale leading Daughters

Arkanaut Admiral and Warden King leading two Dwarf teams

A Grand Council of Greenskin Shamans, which support three armies led by Hero Orcs: Ironjawz, Grots, and a Kruelboy/Troggoth Mix led by a Kruleboss on Troggoth

Four Tzeentch heroes with their own agendas

A Massive Undead faction with multiple leaders: Wight Kings, Vampires, and all led by a Katakros figure.

Kritza leading Skaven (They’re a Vampire Faction, and aligned with the undead, for now…)

• Like 2

My Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider has lead many battles with a horde of all types of greenskinz behind him. I recently build a Dankhold Troggboss to lead the Troggoths.

Lady Olynder will keep leading my Nighthaunt.

My Sylvaneth are still in boxes so i dont know yet to be honest. Could be Alarielle, Warsong Revenant or  Qulathis the exile. Leaning towards Qulathis for now. 

• Like 1

Interesting question @Lightbox

Though my activity on this forum might give an opposite impression I'm still very new to AOS and my army still isn't up to 2000. So I haven't really decided on who will lead my slighty personalized forces of Ymetrica. I recently finished a Scinari Cathallar of whom I'm quite proud of, so she might take the mantle. But I also really want to try two reinforced units of Stoneguard led by the Archmage himself, once I've got that much done. 

Anyways, this topic inspired me to maybe cook up some fluff once I've been able to get in a game or two. 

PS: Should I not be able to resist temptation I might also start Sylvaneth (Harvestboon or Heartwood) led by an Arch Revenant.

Edited by Maogrim
  • Like 1

Azlak the Damned is a Mighty Lord of Khorne who leads a warband of blood thirsty mortal warriors. He gained the title Damned after losing several battles and skirmishes upon his ascension to a Mighty Lord of Khorne (I didn't win a single matched play game at 1500+ points for around 2 years. I refuse to take a different model as general in all games of 1500+ points. I tend to play my games with a narrative spin which is why I take the MLoK).

Azlak is now on a journey to reap 888 skulls in order to gain the favour of Khorne again, at which time he may acquire a more respectably chaotic title (or Daemonhood).

• Like 4

Taurok Gorefeast is a doombull (or sometimes demon prince) dedicated to khorne. After slaying a demon prince of khorne on the field of battle and devouring his heart, Taurok found his dreams filled with visions of the blood god, of iron discipline and endless bloodshed. So Taurok began doing something his tribe had never seen, he trained. He didn't just pick up his weapon and hack at his enemies but instead he could be found practicing different forms that were seared into his simple mind by the remnants of the Prince's soul. He accepted others, mostly more bullgor, to his training and those that brayed with laughter at their precise movements made excellent demonstrations of the lethality of this new method of slaughter.  

Over time he found himself the unintended leader of a small cult to the great brass beast Khorne. The beastlord of the tribe, Ungal blackhorn,  goaded by the insidious whispers of the bray shamans who had a distinct interest in curbing the influence of Khorne amongst the herd, goaded Taurok into challenging him, just as Blackhorn intended. He called Taurok unworthy to face him due to his weakness evidenced by his civilized training and obedience to one of the four, and demanded he prove himself in the blood pits, facing down numerous foes to show his ways were worthy of dueling Ungal himself. 

His satisfaction with the scheme faded quickly however as he watched Taurok cut down scores of his best gors, hacking away until his axe splintered and he was seemingly overwhelmed in a mass of blackhorn's most relentless followers. Even as Taurok struggled to hold them at bay, their blades finding purchase in his thick hide between the plates of metal he had crudely fashioned as armor he refused to call out for aid from his dark god. Instead resolved to let his blood in glorious battle he cried out "Blood for the Blood Beast!" And let them pour over him, "Skulls for his throne!". Though his brothers think little of the beasts, seeing them as mere fodder, Khorne cares not from where the blood flows and between the fire in Taurok and the spark of the Blood God's own princes soul still lodged in his heart, Khorne turned his eyes to the battle and he was pleased. He blessed his newest champion, the blood of the slain searing his armor plates to serrated spike covered brass, filling his muscles with rage fueled strength with which Taurok impaled the skulls of his many foes upon the freshly freshly formed spikes.

Not even the most foolhardy or desperate for dared approach Taurok as he set into the slain feasting on their hearts with blind tearing rage. He only looked up when Ungal declared he had proved himself and that Blackhorn would give him one night to rest so that none would doubt who was the stronger when Ungal slew him in the ring.

Ungal secretly needed time to devise some way to escape the battle for he knew he stood no chance against the blood blessed bull. His advisors spoke all at once, sibiliant, sussurating, or rasping; assassination, deceit, poison. With the guidance of the shamans Ungal determined to slay Taurok in his sleep. He tasked his own son Mazarak with performing the deed, unknowing that the herd hears all the gods, not just those his seers exalted.

Mazarak stole into Taurok's tent in the night with poisoned blade and stood poised to strike it into his heart, but before he could he was assailed with visions of what could be. Cloven ones clad in solid steel, moving with direction as they encircled the enemy before crashing into them with a coordination Mazarak had never seen in his kin. Under and over it alll however they were still the children of chaos, directed but not tamed, they laid into their foes with furious abandon tearing great chunks of meat from their dying prey, devouring their hearts before their eyes unde the approving gaze of a great brass bull.

Mazarak came too with a slump that alerted Taurok who lunged for the Bestigor, lifting him by his throat and preparing to squeeze the life from him.  He glanced down at the blade slick with vile poison and snorted with derision. "Weakling" he spat at the gor flailing in his grasp.  As Mazarak felt his life ebbing he locked eyes with the bullgor and even as one eye clouded red with his own blood he managed to strangle out a defiant "Blood... for the.... blood god!"

Taurok let the Gor slump to the floor of the tent and reached for his axe. Raising it menacingly he looked down at Mazarak who was recovering his breath, though his eye was a lost cause. "Speak or die." Taurok said and Mazarak spoke. "Ungal weak, Ungal forget ways of the herd. He send me to slay you as you sleep, like coward. I will not follow Blackhorn, I follow the Brazen Bull." With that he lowered his horns in deference to the great Doombull and Taurok knew what he must do.

So it was that Mazarak was the only one of Blackhorns sons not to have his horns adorn the armor of Taurok that night as the Gorefeaster led those given over to the lord of skulls in a massacre that would devastate the blackhorn tribe leaving only the strongest and most brutal of beasts, stained permanently red with the blood of their kin and filled with an unholy rage. Thus was born the Gorefeast Skullfray, led by the ferocious Taurok Gorefeast, clad in blessed brass armor and dedicated to bringing murder and ruin to the mortal realms in the name of their dark god.

• Like 5

@Lightbox, here’s a link to my army lore(though I haven’t updated it in some time(will do so later this week)). 

My Gravelords are largely lead by the Tomb King Zamses the Ever-Joyful and his court of priests, vampires, and lesser wights. They serve Sekhubis, God of Funerary Rites against the slow corruption of his living subjects(and therefore their faith and perception of him)against the Daemon-Songstress Aesha (a corrupted Sylvaneth) and her combined army of Hedonites and Arcanites.

Both armies are trying to find an ancient goddess of Poisons and Medicine, but for different reasons. Zamses seeks her as a way to bolster Sekhubis’ cult and keep his people safe. Meanwhile, Alesha seeks to sacrifice the goddess to Slaanesh in exchange for the reemergence of her Keeper of Secrets patron/lover. 

Meanwhile, further complicating the ongoing war in the bayou is the encroaching Dawnbringer Crusade and it’s Stormcast Guardians seeking to spread the word of Sigmar…..

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

@Lightbox, here’s a link to my army lore(though I haven’t updated it in some time(will do so later this week)). 

My Gravelords are largely lead by the Tomb King Zamses the Ever-Joyful and his court of priests, vampires, and lesser wights. They serve Sekhubis, God of Funerary Rites against the slow corruption of his living subjects(and therefore their faith and perception of him)against the Daemon-Songstress Aesha (a corrupted Sylvaneth) and her combined army of Hedonites and Arcanites.

Both armies are trying to find an ancient goddess of Poisons and Medicine, but for different reasons. Zamses seeks her as a way to bolster Sekhubis’ cult and keep his people safe. Meanwhile, Alesha seeks to sacrifice the goddess to Slaanesh in exchange for the reemergence of her Keeper of Secrets patron/lover. 

Meanwhile, further complicating the ongoing war in the bayou is the encroaching Dawnbringer Crusade and it’s Stormcast Guardians seeking to spread the word of Sigmar…..

I always enjoy your fluff posts. I'd love to see your models some time if you ever feel like posting pictures.

Most of my long standing armies have fleshed out leaders (well in the case of the tomb kings, "fleshed out" may not quite be the right term...)

My Daughters of Khaine are led by Queen Azinda, who was a humble(-ish) hag queen in the armies of her temple. During a battle with the forces of Chaos, her commanding officers were slain, and she assumed command of the army, she stood against multiple chaos warriors, nearly falling multiple times, but always coming back from the brink, and allowing her surviving sisters to escape. ( I lost the game, but a legend was born as a result...) Azinda was elevated to Slaughter queen as a result of her bravery, and I converted her model to have a sword in place of the original goblet in light of this fact. She has been the general ever since. She has close links to the darkling covens, and Iriana, a darkling sorceress is her closest adviser and confident. They generally go into battle together, often leading combined forces.

This alliance has meant that they haven't been too badly affected by the tensions between the Daughters and the Cities, which haven't yet reached their corner of the realms. When they were beset by the undead they were even rescued from certain doom by a freeguild regiment, commanded by Aleksandr Von Khyl, a bright wizard of the Collegiate arcane. Now his guild and Iriana's coven jointly control the powerful arcane nexus where the battle took place and are building (or rather rebuilding) a new wizard's guild and free city dedicated to the arcane arts amidst the ruins.

I am still fleshing out the collegiate arcane. My plan is do do a painting project called "Mages through the ages" where I paint up a series of wizards of different colleges and vintages. I have many of the models, but haven't gotten around to painting many of them yet. The leader will be a gold wizard, using one of the really old citadel mage sculpts. He is going to be Professor Sir Herbert Seltzer Ph.D. FRAlS, Alchemist Royal in his kingdom, and Archchancellor of the Collegiate Arcane in the newly rebuilt city of Dragonsdorf.

The Dragonsdorf alliance was then approached by the leaders of my Tomb Kings army, a pair of twin sorceresses named Ameriset and Amenirdis. They wanted the mortal's aid to capitalise on the temporary fall of Nagash, and try to free their kingdom in the desert of skulls from the thrall of the God of Death forever. They knew of an ancient relic of a now eaten death god deep within the desert of skulls. With it they could make a magical barrier which would grant all sentient undead within the continent their free will, and keep the forces of Nagash at bay. However, they knew that even in his weakened state, he would become aware of the ritual the moment they tried to enact it, and take control of their liche priests to stop it from happening.

They thus negotiated an alliance with the Dragonsdorf Guild, and Herbert and Iriana led a contingent of a hundred wizards into the desert. The moment Nagash learned of the betrayal the Tomb Kings turned upon their mortal allies, but the freeguild and the Daughters of Khaine were able to hold them off long enough for the wizards to complete the ritual, and Nagash was driven from their home. The two cities, living and dead have been firm allies ever since, though both have come under attack by vampires and nighthaunt as a result of their betrayal. The Tomb Kings now stand eternal vigil over the site of the ritual, so that the spells which keep them free can never be undone.

So that's the Dragonsdorf Saga. I've posted elsewhere about my plans for my Chaos Army, and Elsar Ragnarsdottir's bid to slay archaeon and become the next everchosen, but perhaps I'll put that here too in a later post!

• Like 2

Currently, my Orruks are lead by Zagga Bonekruncha, an Ardboy Boss (with a custom warscroll) aligned with the Ironsunz warclan. He's building up a power base to show da Grotkicker who's the better boss for the Ironsunz. As Zagga walks his path to glory, he is slowly drawing more ladz to his cause: a couple mobs of Ardboys, a mob of Ardboy Boarboys (with another custom warscroll), a Weirdnob Shaman, a Warchanter, and some Kruleboyz Gutrippaz. He just has to deal with some fyre-stunties and other local denizens first...

My Overtyrant on Great Maw has built up his own Big Name, based on his exploits across the games I played with him:

Bollgo Skysnacks the Everhungry, the Unzappable Dakkaproof Edgelord Eater, Dakkbad’s Ruin, Devourer of Ancestors and Quencher of the Flame

I wrote an Anvil of Apotheosis scroll for Bollgo too, although in Matched Play I use him as the Frostlord on Stonehorn warscroll (same base size):

https://plasticcraic.blog/2020/07/18/gh20-review-part-2-anvil-of-apotheosis/

Bollgo.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

My armies are lead by the hand in the sky

xD

My Vampire Counts were usually led by Ephilia von Kreysz. An aspiring Sylvanian Baroness. She also survived the end times along with her loyal Wight Commander, her husband wasn’t so lucky though. Her Necromancer also survived (sadly). His name is Scum the Useless - Since he always managed to be sucked into the realm of chaos whenever he tried to cast his first spell (the amount of dice didn’t matter). He really did it every time - it even became a plot meme that another Necromancer had to plug him from the realm of chaos after every battle. He survived since he was in the realm of chaos when the world blew up. 
ever since the Von Kreysz have lost their importance, however, they have plans in order to return to their former power and to carve out a kingdom.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

My Ironjawz are led by Badrok Ashbringa - a tough Warboss who strides into battle on his Mawkrusha, Cinda da Eva' Living. Rumors among his "Burnas" (his boyz) is that Cinda is immortal and never really dies. In reality, Badrok just names all of his Mawkrushas Cinda.

My Gloomspite Gitz, which I typically run with either Squigs or Spiders, are led by Niznak Danfinga, leader of the Dank Ridaz'. He was a given a prophecy by Da Bad Moon that his faction of Gloomspite would be the ones the claim it as their own and supplant Skagrott as the leader of the various Gloomspite clans. In his prophecy his was given a vision of a massive spider/squig hybrid that was able to bounce to the moon and tether it using its webbing, allowing him to claim it. As a result, he has been engaging in breeding experiments with spiders and squigs of all sizes to make the hybrid creature. So far he has had a single success and currently rides it as his personal mount while leading his gitz.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1