New Games Workshop NDA for influencers UPDATE 2: The document appears to be real.

HollowHills

I dunno, I think it could actually be a positive if it s a fake and GW came out and said "not only this is fake, it's not the sort of thing we'd ask people to sign. Our current NDAs don't include provisions like this because they are oppressive to the other party and we don't believe in running our business that way. Our NDAs are focused on making sure info doesn't leak, not on trying to control the general businesses of the people who sign them or to guarantee positive coverage." It'd basically be free PR for them. Some people would roll their eyes, but overall it'd be a PR victory for GW. 

3 minutes ago, Orbei said:

NornQueenAlexis saying it's fake without proof is equally as useful than Goobertown saying it's real. If you believe one of them at face value but not the other it's entirely due to your own preconceived bias regarding the issue. 

Well, NornQueenAlexis is more likely to have received a NDA from GW than Goobertown given the nature of her youtube channel, you know. And she seems to have signed one.

Edited by Sarouan

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

If its real then it's bad and predatory.  If its fake then we still learned that GW has recently acted at least bad enough that it's plausible AND that many customers would defend their actions.

This is an incredibly biased line of thinking. If it’s fake GW aren’t in the wrong, the person who faked it is.

This is my biggest issue with these discussions, I’d how much people try to pass accountability for other people’s actions into GW.

If you expect GW to be responsible for their actions then you should expect other people to be for their own also.

Just now, Sarouan said:

Well, NornQueenAlexis is more likely to have a received a DNA than Goobertown given the nature of her youtube channel, you know. And she seems to have signed one.

Sure, she probably has. This could either be a new, updated agreement she hasn't seen yet, or one used for new influencers while agreements for established partners such as her are kept in place. We don't know, and she provided no context other than saying it's fake. Her blanket comment that it is fake is not helpful at all. If she simply said "this is not the NDA I signed", that would be useful to the conversation and provide some context. It would not prove that this is false.

• Subscriber

Either fake or not, it does go to show just how much it's had the (presumably) desired outcome. It's got multiple pages on here already, hundreds of comments on Reddit and no doubt social media platforms all discussing it and people arguing about GW being evil again. 

Since you could predict this from the other legit news items (removing warscrolls, IP changes, etc) I don't think it is that surprising someone would think it was worth putting a fake out there.

It doesn't have to be malicious at first, in fact. Can totally be initially a joke made to a youtuber "for lolz" and others swiftly use it as facts for totally different reasons (being the first on the info, showing how evil GW is, gaining click in videos / website, and so on).

• Like 1

+++ MOD HAT ON +++
Just a nudge about the tone of some posts in this topic and I’m not singling anybody out.

There is a few very anti GW tone from a few posts in this thread. Can I remind everybody that GW are not evil but a business. Yes there is some things they need to do better at but they are not here to bring about the end of the world. As we say here on TGA, constructive criticism is great but just moaning that GW are evil, putting things behind paywalls because they are greedy and out to stifle what people say about them isn’t what we want to hear after a long day and wanting to enjoy discussing about our toys. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I remember many years ago an entire fake edition of 40k came out, whole rulebook formatted with everything minus the pictures and it was lapped up as being an amazing ruleset, couldn't believe that it was leaked and happy how 40k was moving to a bright future. Used the GW fonts, page backgrounds the lot. 

Turned out it was fake. 

If someone, somewhere was willing to go through the trouble of creating an entire rulebook, popping out a fake NDA seems like child's play in comparison. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

I remember many years ago an entire fake edition of 40k came out, whole rulebook formatted with everything minus the pictures and it was lapped up as being an amazing ruleset, couldn't believe that it was leaked and happy how 40k was moving to a bright future. Used the GW fonts, page backgrounds the lot. 

Turned out it was fake. 

If someone, somewhere was willing to go through the trouble of creating an entire rulebook, popping out a fake NDA seems like child's play in comparison. 

A bit off topic but as I recall wasn't that actually a leak of the playtest rules for 6th edition 40k? It was rules that were given to play-testers for GW and some of them leaked the files so it wasn't an actual fake, but it wasn't the real 6th edition rules either? Honestly, can't remember I can only remember those rules included alternating activations for units which is one thing I'd like to see for both 40k and AoS.

Edited by GrogTheGrognard

15 minutes ago, GrogTheGrognard said:

A bit off topic but as I recall wasn't that actually a leak of the playtest rules for 6th edition 40k? It was rules that were given to play-testers for GW and some of them leaked the files so it wasn't an actual fake, but it wasn't the real 6th edition rules either? Honestly, can't remember I can only remember those rules included alternating activations for units which is one thing I'd like to see for both 40k and AoS.

If I remember well, it was actually a fan-made set of rules by a small group playing together in their club, and it was used by some people to make it pass as the next 40k edition "leak". Boy did it make a lot of noise at that time...so much it stayed in my mind. :D

The disappointment that was when it was revealed it was false ! Some people did actually play with it thinking it was playtest for the next edition and they were making very serious analysis of it all...just like for this NDA, in the end.

You would think in this day and age, people should know better than believe the first guy claiming they have a scoop, wouldn't you ?

Edited by Sarouan

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ MOD HAT ON +++
Just a nudge about the tone of some posts in this topic and I’m not singling anybody out.

There is a few very anti GW tone from a few posts in this thread. Can I remind everybody that GW are not evil but a business. Yes there is some things they need to do better at but they are not here to bring about the end of the world. As we say here on TGA, constructive criticism is great but just moaning that GW are evil, putting things behind paywalls because they are greedy and out to stifle what people say about them isn’t what we want to hear after a long day and wanting to enjoy discussing about our toys. 

I'm concerned that criticism of GW is getting this response and not the concerted and really quite aggressive dismissal of people raising issues with GW as 'haters', 'trolls' or 'GW bashers', accompanied by personal insults.

I know TGA is meant to be the place for positivity and feeling good about our expensive plastic army men but there's been a trend lately where that attitude is used as a cudgel against people with genuine concern or who feel increasingly alienated from how GW's more recent decisions have affected the hobby.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure this is off topic but I want to clarify my personal stance on GW since some people may have the impression I hate them.

I do not hate GW, I am distrusting of publicly traded companies beholden to shareholders who often prioritize making as much money as possible in the shortest time possible.

I know GW has a ton of passionate, hard-working and incredibly talented staff. I love Warhammer and these are the people who make it great.

However, in the past year and a bit (memory is fuzzy because covid) GW as a business have made some ****** decisions / revelations about their ****** decisions have come to light.

1) Continuing to push prices up on models despite record profits for them and financial hardship for many during covid.

2) A FOMO marketing strategy that pressures people to buy now or be scalped later (seems to be addressed now maybe?).

3) Paying their employees poorly.

4) Cursed City.

5) Warhammer+ basically being a way to make you pay for content they previously produced for free. They used to just put painting content on YouTube and the AoS app was totally free. Now you have to pay twice to get app the rules, once for a sub and then to unlock the books. 

6) No more digital books.

7) Creating new aggressive copyright/ IP protection policies to kill fan content and scare people off.

BONUS PETTY GREIVANCE 

😎 Not releasing an Idoneth book for the whole of 2nd edition and leaving my favourite faction without new stuff for like 3 years 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I'm concerned that criticism of GW is getting this response and not the concerted and really quite aggressive dismissal of people raising issues with GW as 'haters', 'trolls' or 'GW bashers', accompanied by personal insults.

I know TGA is meant to be the place for positivity and feeling good about our expensive plastic army men but there's been a trend lately where that attitude is used as a cudgel against people with genuine concern or who feel increasingly alienated from how GW's more recent decisions have affected the hobby.

Agreed.

• Like 4

Agreed with Sandlemad. I don't see people here as being overly negative... no one is saying GW is the devil and an evil company that should go out of business. I love GW products and their lore and feel they remain worth spending (a lot) of money on. However I believe it is worth fans calling them out on negative business practices. We all want the games we love to succeed after all. The alternative is people simply keeping quiet and moving on from the hobby with GW and its fans never understanding why.

• Like 2

Well if people are concern, most people who give critical analysis either wait for the physical release of the book or find potato cam images but they are still harsh on bin guy. They don’t need early access anyway

Ash (man who read book) usually give a complete lowdown on the book maybe giving his opinion here and there but he usually leaves his viewer with the ultimate decision of what they think of the book, his ultimate goal is just to inform the consumer as much as possible.

Edited by novakai

37 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Agreed.

I don't want to attack anyone but it honestly seems like the mods on this forum only want to praise GW.

I have only ever seen defense of GW from them and the use of mod powers to end criticism.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Agreed.

I don't want to attack anyone but it honestly seems like the mods on this forum only want to praise GW.

I have only ever seen defense of GW from them and the use of mod powers to end criticism.

On the other hand, who is making those threads with constant attacks on GW with - like here - few facts on the matter they're talking about in them ? You, HollowHills.

Given that well known history of you making quite strongly negative topics constantly, if you are indeed victim of some kind of 'censorship', don't you think the mods would have locked all of your threads as soon as you posted them ? Yet they didn't. This topic is still not locked at the time of now either.

And now, you're complaining you're viewed by some as a negative person ? Well, what did you expect when someone reads your posts ? Are you here for positivity, anyway ? No, you're not. Just watching your post history here is enough to see that.

So stop playing the victim here. You're not even called by name in Gaz Taylor's intervention.

And by the way, GW's own history ? Yeah, I know it as well. But this thread here is not about GW's past...it's about GW's present. And if you're using something that's more likely to be revealed as a fake like fact GW is back at doing ****** practices again...that's entirely your own responsibility here, not GW's.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

On the other hand, who is making those threads with constant attacks on GW with - like here - few facts on the matter they're talking about in them ? You, HollowHills.

Given that well known history of you making quite strongly negative topics constantly, if you are indeed victim of some kind of 'censorship', don't you think the mods would have locked all of your threads as soon as you posted them ? Yet they didn't. This topic is still not locked at the time of now either.

And now, you're complaining you're viewed by some as a negative person ? Well, what did you expect when someone reads your posts ? Are you here for positivity, anyway ? No, you're not. Just watching your post history here is enough to see that.

So stop playing the victim here. You're not even called by name in Gaz Taylor's intervention.

And by the way, GW's own history ? Yeah, I know it as well. But this thread here is not about GW's past...it's about GW's present. And if you're using something that's more likely to be revealed as a fake like fact GW is back at doing ****** practices again...that's entirely your own responsibility here, not GW's.

internet_white_knight_colored_4350.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Thought I was that person.

🙄

could we stop attacking people pointing out unpleasant topics about GW? It’s pretty much in the title, so if you think it’s negative and you don‘t like that simply move along instead of attacking.

Hollow brings up some valid points (not all of them) and I am actually interested in seeing how other people think about what GW‘s doing „politically“ as of late.

So let’s return to the topic and discuss it instead of discussing one another, shall we? :)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Depend on what camp your on: 

It fake or real, does gameworkshop really call them selves GW and not their full Name in these contract? Is that even the correct logo? 

If it is real, most people say it’s just a regular NDA but 4.1.7 is just worded poorly but ultimately it’s a defamation clause which is be professional and not Archwarhammer. In the end the person is not force to sign that contract and the decision is up to them if this contract benefits them and their business.

Edited by novakai

I'm not going to respond to the personal attacks.

I will clarify that I'm not "calling out" the mods. It's just my opinion that the moderation team as a whole are quite pro-games workshop. They are entitled to that opinion, but I personally would prefer that they be a bit less hands on about it. I hope that isn't seen as an insult to anyone in particular. 

I also want to state I don't see myself as a victim, but I did want to clarify my personal frustrations.

My post history is negative because right now there seems to be a lot of bad news going around, but you can also see that I've made plenty of positive contributions talking about tactics, rumours and my armies.

I don't enjoy being frustrated, but that's where I am right now with the business practices.

Hobby wise I am super happy playing 3rd edition, continuing to expand my Idoneth over the 5k painted barrier and working on my new Slaves to Darkness list.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Agreed.

If we really did that, do you think we would stop at that or stop you from posting anything and only allowing the type of comments you perceive we want 😉

Just for the record I agree with comments 2 and 3 you mentioned above (FOMO and Staff Pay) but I do not agree with what else you have mentioned. 

Also for the record, attitudes of some people posting here (again not naming anybody this is just a general comment), haven’t been great. My job is very stressful and at the end of the day, I want to enjoy my hobbies after a day at work. I imagine many people on this forum want to do the same. I imagine they don’t want to read about how bad GW are or how they have ruined things because they have charged some more money for a kit or created a new service. I can still enjoy my models without that service or I may have to change my approach on how I use my hobby funds (I’m married and have a child so the days of impulse buying have long gone).

Now if another Mod wants to tell me off for going off topic, let’s get back to whatever this topic was originally 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I'm not going to respond to the personal attacks.

I will clarify that I'm not "calling out" the mods. It's just my opinion that the moderation team as a whole are quite pro-games workshop. They are entitled to that opinion, but I personally would prefer that they be a bit less hands on about it. I hope that isn't seen as an insult to anyone in particular. 

I also want to state I don't see myself as a victim, but I did want to clarify my personal frustrations.

My post history is negative because right now there seems to be a lot of bad news going around, but you can also see that I've made plenty of positive contributions talking about tactics, rumours and my armies.

I don't enjoy being frustrated, but that's where I am right now with the business practices.

Hobby wise I am super happy playing 3rd edition, continuing to expand my Idoneth over the 5k painted barrier and working on my new Slaves to Darkness list.

I guess is this really bad news or people want to make it bad news, cause it seem that one phase was a poorly worded defamation cause

Edited by novakai