New AoS app now available

HollowHills

I have the app on Android on my Samsung S20.  It works fine at first.  But if I return to the app after a few hours, it will not open and crashes.  I've had to uninstall and reinstall twice now (losing my army lists). That is super annoying and needs to be fixed as it isn't currently functional.

Assuming that gets addressed, though, I think the app is fine.  I've found some little issues here and there, but hopefully it will smooth out over time.  And since I already subscribed to W+ (my son and I are big fans of the animations), it's no extra cost for me.  

A couple of main improvements I'd like to see: (1) Ability to re-order your army lists and units within a single list; (2) Ability to re-name lists; (3) ability to change sub-factions (like Stormhosts) without having to create an entirely new army; (4) when selecting a special item (general, artefact, spell, prayer, etc.) for a unit, it would be nice if that info was then written on the unit's entry in your army list so that you could see it all at one glance rather than having to click into each unit.  

• Like 2

Really disliking the navigation for this app. It is also clearly designed for tablets, because A TON of text does not fit when holding my phone vertically; I need to rotate it for all text to fit.

Also, I was only able to open the app once. Today it will not open, Android tells me "this app keeps crashing, do you want to close it?"

• Like 2

I'm running the app on a Pixel 3 / Android 11. Like others, the app doesn't open after an initial session. I found going to 'App Info' and clearing the storage (rather than clearing the cache) results in the app launching successfully, but obviously wiany lists I'd made are gone. A bit annoying. I will install it on an iPad and hope it's more stable.

As for the UI / UX I quite like it. I'd like Storm Forge to remember the filters you had previously set, and I'd like to be able to make rosters for different armies.

Once the app is stable, I see it as reasonable value considering its part of the wider W+ subscription.

• Like 1

The old app was able to let you filter warscrolls by keyword (i.e. type Monster in the search bar and it'll show just warscrolls that have the Monster keyword). has anyone found a way to do that in this one? 

Also +1 for the constant crashing after the initial opening

Samsung S10e here.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dongilles said:

I guess it will be just like the Orruk and Stormcast books.

Warscrolls are free, the rest will be unlocked with the code from the physical book.

So the same as in the old app. only now you get the digital rules free with the physical book

40k app requires a book code to check any given army's stats, I don't see why the AoS app would be different, specially seeing this return to absolute greediness from GW

Edited by Benkei
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ferban said:

I have the app on Android on my Samsung S20.  It works fine at first.  But if I return to the app after a few hours, it will not open and crashes.  I've had to uninstall and reinstall twice now (losing my army lists). That is super annoying and needs to be fixed as it isn't currently functional.

Same problem, I have an Android Galaxy S9 and after a few hours of it being installed I have to reinstall. 

8 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Really disliking the navigation for this app. It is also clearly designed for tablets, because A TON of text does not fit when holding my phone vertically; I need to rotate it for all text to fit.

Also, I was only able to open the app once. Today it will not open, Android tells me "this app keeps crashing, do you want to close it?"

Same for me and I have the Note 20 big boy

13 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

It most certainly is not, half the screen is unused (black bars on either side) on tablets, as is the 40K app over a year later

11 hours ago, Benkei said:

40k app requires a book code to check any given army's stats, I don't see why the AoS app would be different, specially seeing this return to absolute greediness from GW

Not true, I can view the stats of any unit I haven’t bought the codex for (Orks, Grey Knights etc), however the abilities are locked

Just now, SunStorm said:

There is an update available for it in the app store and at least so far it seems stable. 

For Android or that other inferior one? Ill check but im getting tired of uninstalling and reinstalling when it wont even open. My phone even thinks its a threat due to background crashing and eating up battery power

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Malakithe said:

For Android or that other inferior one? Ill check but im getting tired of uninstalling and reinstalling when it wont even open. My phone even thinks its a threat due to background crashing and eating up battery power

I'm on Android so in Google Play store. Not sure about iOS. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Not true, I can view the stats of any unit I haven’t bought the codex for (Orks, Grey Knights etc), however the abilities are locked

Ok, i can see how i wasn't clear: you can't access the warscrolls from books you havent paid for, so forget about checking other armies units.

58 minutes ago, Orbei said:

It looks fine on my phone. Perhaps an issue with the version of Android being used? I'm not great with phones but I'm running Oxygen OS 10.3.7.GM21AA. Here's a screenshot of the app:

Screenshot_20210917-102019.jpg

If I could open the app i'd share a screenshot. Bigger phones are probably fine, I have a Moto Z2 and its a mid-size screen