New AoS app now available

HollowHills

Having briefly tested it, it seems very good app. If warscrolls are available for free in the future, I see nothing wrong with this app, I'd say it is even clear improvement over azyr (the fact that I can look at artifacts and read their effects while I'm selecting them is great bonus). Basically everything now depends on just how much is going to be behind paywall when the actual app is released and not beta (army builder is gonna be behind paywall for sure and the army rules require battletome which I'm kinda okay with, but warscrolls should be all available for free in the future as well).

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

You can download it on Google play and sign in right now.

It seems very good. If they make it so you have to sub to WH+ and pay to unlock the book rules as well then it will be trash. For now you can see all the rules and warscrolls on there for free. There is also a working army builder.

They are absolutely going to lock it behind those paywalls as I’m sure you’re aware. Paywalls don’t make something trash.  

The app seems surprisingly good thus far. I’m sure errors and bugs will be found though

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Talas said:

Hopefully, only the Storm Forge part will be behind the paywall.

From the description on the play store it looks like you will only be able to access info from books you've paid for:

"This app is an invaluable tool for anyone who enjoys playing games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar. It provides you with a quick and easy way to check your rules in the heat of battle, browse battletomes you own, and plan your next army.

Core Rules
Read the Core Rules in the app for free."

This suggests the core rules are the only bit that will stay free.

• Thanks 1

It seems like I currently don't own any devices that can run the app (without some effort, at least). While that's on me for having a cheap, old phone and even though I have the necessary know-how to eventually solve this problem, it shows one of the new barriers of entry that having all the warscrolls only available on the app will create.

However, if the warscrolls stay free on the app, I am not especially worried. If GW does not put them behind a paywall, chances are they won't go after 3rd parties for reproducing them online. So eventually there will be websites that just allow you to look up warscrolls from an internet browser.

From The Red King's post on the Warscrolls thread quoting an email they received:

"This all-new app is completely free while it's in beta, so you can use it to its fullest and help us make it even better. Once the beta period comes to an end, the app will become another awesome part of Warhammer+ along with Warhammer 40,000: The App, and loads more – another fantastic reason to subscribe to the ultimate Warhammer service."

So the whole things being paywalled. But feel free to use it for now and contribute your time to GWs development of the app for free, which they'll then charge you to use. Grrr.

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 1

Ninjad by my own qoute XD lol

But yeah there is a chance they paywall everything else and leave the warscrolls available (so just like Azyr) so I guess that's fine if we don't expect any increase in product for their increased profits, but I refuse to buy W+ for more than I paid for the azyr app just because they couldn't be bothered to actually make their subscription service appealing to customers.

Edited by The Red King
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Once the beta period comes to an end, the app will become another awesome part of Warhammer+

"But yeah there is a chance they paywall everything else and leave the warscrolls available"

The first quote suggests the entire app will be behind the the W+ paywall. So nowhere for free warscrolls to be free.

• Like 1

Army Name: Bonesplitterz
Army Notes: Test
Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
Army Type: Bonesplitterz
Subfaction: Icebone
Battlepack: Pitched Battles
Points Limit: 1000 pts
General: Wurrgog Prophet
Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
Units
    Wurrgog Prophet (General)
        Battlefield Role: Leader
        Command Traits: High Priest
        Artefacts of Power: Amulet of Destiny
        Spells: Glowy Green Tusks
        Points Cost: 150 pts
    Savage Orruks
        Battlefield Role: Battleline
        Points Cost: 165 pts
    Savage Orruks
        Battlefield Role: Battleline
        Points Cost: 165 pts
    Savage Big Stabbas
        Battlefield Role: Other
        Points Cost: 80 pts
    Savage Orruk Arrowboys
        Battlefield Role: Other
        Points Cost: 145 pts
    Skitterstrand Arachnarok (Ally)
        Battlefield Role: Behemoth
        Points Cost: 200 pts
    Wardokk
        Battlefield Role: Leader
        Points Cost: 80 pts
Total Points: 985 pts
Valid: Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Used the clipboard function from the app for this. I needed to get used to seeing all allies in the list building options though.

I could use all the artifacts and spells but couldnt see the rules from the battletime artifacts and spells. They required me to buy the tome.

Edited by Iksdee

Well Azyr had a free part of the app (warscrolls, core rules) and then the things you paid for (list builder, battletomes). 

The fact that this app also has all of the FAQ in one easy to access place would make paywalling the whole thing a really silly move. So yeah GW will probably do that.

On the topic of the actual app, though I'm loathe to provide them free feedback so they can sell it back to me, coalition units in a Blades of Khorne army dont have any way to select a mark leaving them ineligible for artifacts. Also the app thinks 3 beast units is somehow more than (1 in 4) of 13. Not sure what the error there is.

Edited by The Red King

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

The fact that this app also has all of the FAQ in one easy to access place would make paywalling the whole thing a really silly move.

Pay us money for our books and then pay us a subscription to access our corrections and clarifications to the books you've paid for!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, suedester said:

They are absolutely going to lock it behind those paywalls as I’m sure you’re aware. Paywalls don’t make something trash.  

The app seems surprisingly good thus far. I’m sure errors and bugs will be found though

Paying once to use the app, then having to buy battletomes on top to even use their rules in the app seems trash to me.

I'll stick to the alternative. 

• Like 3

Imagine your HoA put a gate up to block off the road you were using to get into your neighborhood and then happily announced that access to this awesome gate is included with one purchase of a pool pass (for a pool that has like 3 feet of water in it but dont worry we're gonna fill it up later!) Oh and you can't buy it any other way so 'included' may not be the BEST term.

• Haha 2

Perfect marketing so far

Give stuff away for free to build a community and people heavily invest into the game

Now take away the free stuff and let people pay for it, and because they already have invested so much they will pay to keep their investment "worth it"

In addition, because the community is big it will trag in more new people than the number who leave because of the changes

Profit

For now I am not even sure if I am going to buy the new SCE book at all

In the page about how to redeem codes says: "You can unlock the content from your battletome in Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App without a subscription. Once the open beta is complete, the app will become another awesome part of Warhammer+. A subscription will get you access to even more content, including the Storm Forge army-building tool, as well as loads of other Warhammer+ benefits."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/app-ageofsigmar-redeem/

So they double paywalled the digital rules? U need the battletome and warhammer +. Seems fair XD lol.

I do like the app so far. I can see things that could be still be improved but it runs smooth. At least on my phone and its not by any standards a new phone.

Edited by Iksdee

Honesty, i wasnt looking forward to this new app, and probably wasnt viewing in the best light, but my impression is “meh app is … fine.”

Its nice that all the rules are accessible …for now,  but organising by publication can be counter intuitive.   I tried, for example, to find the rules for Misthavn in Broken Realms Morathi, but all the different faction rules are mixed up together.  

I understand that we will be expected to buy each book, but once ive bought the books why not organise the rules i have access to by faction / subfaction.   

i would have like stormforge to offer a link to warscrolls as i build, much like warscroll builder.   I guess other niggles like units are not marked as conditional battleline before selection; and non responsive formatting of text on units with long names will be resolved during beta.  So it will be fine.

Technically, the app seems to do its job, but the interface and underlying structure of the app isnt to my taste.

Maybe it will grow on me.  For now, id rather stick with azyr and warscroll builder 

5 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

So they double paywalled the digital rules? U need the battletome and warhammer +. Seems fair XD lol.

I think its saying you DONT have to have a subscription to access the rules to the battletome you already paid for. A good thing but we'll see how much of the app stays locked even when you buy the books. It could easily be enough to make it not worth it if you don't pay. Built in inconvenience to market convenience is a well known strategy.