Warhammer+ discussion

Lowki

How do you feel about Warhammer +?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will you subscribe?

• No, definately not. It offers nothing or little that I am interested in
    • No definately not. It may have things I would like to have access to, but I don't like to be pressured into it by GW.
    • No, I would like to, but can't afford it
    • No, not for now, but I may change my mind when I have seen it
    • Yes, I have my doubts, but will give it a try
    • yes, because I feel I have no other choice when I want to keep playing the game
    • yes, I love it

7 minutes ago, chord said:

I'm on the fence about continuing with AOS or leaving.  I Want to stay I enjoy it.  But if the App is put behind the subscription that is a big minus to me

I may have misunderstood this, but the impression I got was that having the subscription would give you access to the 40k app and (upcoming) AoS app.  I didn't think they mentioned removing them as standalone entities - however I would imagine the new AoS app could well be priced the same as the 40k one is currently.

I like the digital lore vault, although I already have every WD from 2019 in epub form, so I'm only in for the other features. Will future issues be added here at some point? Will there be a digital subscription feature as an add-on to WH+? That would make sense of the disappearance of digital issues of the magazine, at least (WH+ was supposed to launch this month, and this month's magazine is physical-only...)
We could be left with just a digital archive of 2020's magazine issues and only print copies of future ones, though. Worst of both worlds. Since they won't tell us, we just have to wait and see.

Battle reports sound like a fun extra, I like the ones they put up on the Twitch channel - at least, I do if I have time to watch them. Same thing goes for the lore videos really. These could be anything from genuinely interesting glimpses at the worldbuilding of Warhammer to being told it's very hot in the realm of fire with some swooshy effects in post.

The models: I'm getting that Ironjaw one way or another. Having to subscribe for a whole year before you get your miniature dampens the hype a bit, but I wonder if we'll be able to buy them sooner than that. That'd be a crafty move. I'd fall for it.

We need to brace ourselves for the fact that the app is going to suck like a balewind vortex. The 40k app is barely useable, the old AoS app was terrible for books compared to just buying fixed-width epubs for your reader apps of choice, and I don't see any way GW will have learned or contracted their way to a good app in the time since they launched the 40k one and forced people to use it by holding digital codex content hostage on it.

Painting videos: Really looking forward to this. I'm going to subscribe primarily to check these out.
Edit: The lore sections of out-of-date campaign books being added to the vault is EXCELLENT. I've been wanting a way to get that stuff for years.

Edited by Urauloth

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I may have misunderstood this, but the impression I got was that having the subscription would give you access to the 40k app and (upcoming) AoS app.  I didn't think they mentioned removing them as standalone entities - however I would imagine the new AoS app could well be priced the same as the 40k one is currently.

That could be, I dont like 40K so I don't know much about how the current 40K app is.  You pay to download the app?

why does this new article feel like your battletomes in Azyr will NOT transfer to the W+ app.... they need to be giving extremely clear information instead of teasing this the same way they do models ffs

First and foremost, the old app is not being updated for the new edition. Soon, it will no longer be possible to subscribe to it either.

Even though there won’t be any more updates, you can keep the old app on your device if you enjoy having a nostalgic look back at the older battletomes in your library.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/24/a-new-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-app-is-being-forged-for-the-new-edition/

• Sad 2

That seems extremely clear. Your old content stays on the old app. If you want to retain access to books you bought in the old app, you have to keep it installed. No transfer.

Is that a terrible way to go about it? Why, yes it is.

Edited by Urauloth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

That seems extremely clear. Your old content stays on the old app. If you want to retain access to books you bought in the old app, you have to keep it installed. No transfer.

Is that a terrible way to go about it? Why, yes it is.

it still begs some questions: will the old app remain on app stores or only stop getting new updates? if you can't subscribe does that mean you also can't buy books on it? will there be any way to access the lore/art of battletomes on the new app or is it only for rules now? etc.. they almost got me with the pricing but if they aren't even going to transfer your old purchases that's so angering

8 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The 40k situation is worse than that. Now if you buy the physical version you get a code which unlocks the rules in the app but only the rules and only in the rather ugly format that the app uses. There is absolutely no way to access the lore or the art digitally. I like to take my iPad with me and read the lore on my lunch break but if they copy the 40k app that won't be possible. That's the big worry. 

I stopped buying 40k books because of this. I likewise do my reading on my tablet and I mainly buy books for lore, art and painting/modelling inspiration. Definitely not buying hardbacks to unlock just the parts I don't need in the app. The one codex I did buy this edition was so light on lore content anyway it made me really glad I had the 8E books for my factions. Hopefully battletomes don't go the same way - though we should be fine if the Soulblight book was written with 3E in mind.

• Like 1

I feeling cautiously excited about this fancy new Warhams+ all the kids are talking about.  As mojojojo 101 said the price honestly isn't that bad.  Its lower than I would've expected for the content we're gonna get and low enough that I'll prolly pay for at least a month to check it out.

The animations have potential.  I'm concerned they'll be Saturday-morning-cartoon levels of depth and maturity and I'll lose interest pretty quickly.  The animation quality seems...diverse 😐.  Some are quite good, some look like video game cut scenes from 15 years ago. If that was all that was offered there's no way they'd get my money however...

The painting videos, Loremaster, and battle reports I do find intriguing. I've found GW's painting videos and the Citadel Paint App to be some of the best content they've released so I have high hopes for this.  Their video about painting the Lord of Change was a lifesaver when I went to paint my friend's Kairos model.  I'm also one of those guys that enjoys 2+ Tough's lore videos and I'm always up for more lore!  I also love a good battle report and I particularly like that they'll post Matched AND Narrative battle reports.  Here's to hoping for a Crusade and a Path to Glory campaign.

I've never had a subscription to White Dwarf but I do buy them individually on occasion so the offering back issues will make for some interesting reading.  On a related note, what's this all about?  I must have missed something and I do hate missing out on "fiascos".

5 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Finally the "no digital books" fiasco really rubs me the wrong way.

Now for my biggest fear and greatest hope, the apps.  Since the AoS app launched, I've paid the couple of bucks a month for Azyr, purchased my battletomes through the app and I have no regrets.  Its a wonderfully useful little app and I love it.  The 40k app...exists.  Barely.  I've tried a couple of times to use the app since it was launched.  Its one of the worst apps I've ever heard of, let alone used.  The apps are really the primary reason why I would pay the service, everything else is just gravy.  The 40k app fiasco (fi-app-sco 😁) concerns me.  The existence of the AoS app gives me hope. 

In the end I'ma prolly wait a week after launch and see how everything shakes out.  If the apps are good, I might even pay for a yearly subscription.  If the apps suck and my beloved AoS app disappears, I'ma burn ALL my armies in mourning. Or maybe just make lists on paper like I used to. 

• Like 1

So it seems that the new AoS app with army builder will launch shortly after 3rd ed. is released and for free, at least for about a month.  "Beta version" are words I've learned to fear so I hope there's a method for providing feedback and that they take the feedback seriously.  Battlescribe works well for 40k but no one seems to care to create a decent datafile for AoS so if the new app sucks like a shop vac, I really will go back to pencil and paper.

Goodbye old AoS app, you will be missed! 😢

• Sad 3

For me the best part of the old AoS app was I didnt have to buy any physical books. The 40k app is just bad overall. Buying the actual book then putting in a code just to have a digital reference seems strange. And the current app group/team cant even get it right. Constant mistakes and bugs are found.

And the possibility of my digital purchases just vanishing is kinda b-s too

at least GW don't charge to be part of the Beta Test (as it was for 40k)

and there is no good BS file because until now it was not needed

I guess the reason is either the new App is in house developed while Azyr was external, or it cannot handle the 40k style of book purchase (the change in technology that the article mentions) or both

well it seems GW think the 40k app is the better piece of software, so they make an AoS version instead of doing a 40k version of Azyr

• Like 1

So this is a genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic...

What do people like about battle reports? Warhammer is a slow game to start with, I can think of few things more tedious than spending three hours watching someone else I don't know play a game. I'm not even that fussed about watching my friends play games, and there I can join in with the joking and discussion.

But clearly there is a major appeal? Is it a way to get your gaming fix if you don't play often? Do you follow certain player's careers as though its sports and want to see how their armies are doing? Is there somehow enough of a story in there that its worth wading through hours of dice rolling and minis being moved to get too?

I don't get it?

21 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

So this is a genuine question, not trying to be sarcastic...

What do people like about battle reports? Warhammer is a slow game to start with, I can think of few things more tedious than spending three hours watching someone else I don't know play a game. I'm not even that fussed about watching my friends play games, and there I can join in with the joking and discussion.

But clearly there is a major appeal? Is it a way to get your gaming fix if you don't play often? Do you follow certain player's careers as though its sports and want to see how their armies are doing? Is there somehow enough of a story in there that its worth wading through hours of dice rolling and minis being moved to get too?

I don't get it?

For me it's a mix. I agree, I generally can't just sit down and watch a report from start to finish, but I can have it off to the side while I do something else. I like seeing well painted models on a detailed and interesting board. If you're watching the right group it can also be really entertaining to listen to the banter or jokes or whatever. Plus if the players actually know what they're doing it can be very instructional and you might learn a new tactic or see an army used in a way you might not expect. 

With respect to the army builder on the app, my biggest concern is they get rid of warscroll builder. I know they've kept their 40k list builder around, but that's because they have power level in 40k as a substitute for points. There's no equivalent for that in AoS and warscroll builder is miles ahead of anything their app will ever be, so they might drop it to avoid self competition. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kodos der Henker said:

at least GW don't charge to be part of the Beta Test (as it was for 40k)

and there is no good BS file because until now it was not needed

I guess the reason is either the new App is in house developed while Azyr was external, or it cannot handle the 40k style of book purchase (the change in technology that the article mentions) or both

well it seems GW think the 40k app is the better piece of software, so they make an AoS version instead of doing a 40k version of Azyr

There is a very very easy way of fixing that. GW have a record of who bought which ebook on the existing AOS app. All they need to do is email those people a code that lets them access it on the new app without charge (same type of 1 use code they print on the 40k books). 

Fixed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Fixed.

well, their solution for a similar problem in 40k was to everyone who subs all the old rules (not the full book, just the rules) for free, instead of giving those that bought a e-book a code to get them

and even with the code you won't get your old e-books as the new App (in 40k) is still rules only

but lets see, maybe GW has learned something from the 40k App release and will do things better now

One of the things that I have loved about the current AoS app is being able to look up warcsrolls/stats of pretty much any model for free. I really hope that does not go away. I enjoy browsing unit stats and it's handy for looking up opponents armies in game. Currently only the allegiance abilities/artefacts/spells/points (tho points are available on warscroll builder) have to be paid for by buying the tome, which is fine by me.

Been a long time since I had any interest in 40k, so no idea about how the 40k app works. Anyone know if all unit profiles available to view for free?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

For me it's a mix. I agree, I generally can't just sit down and watch a report from start to finish, but I can have it off to the side while I do something else. I like seeing well painted models on a detailed and interesting board. If you're watching the right group it can also be really entertaining to listen to the banter or jokes or whatever. Plus if the players actually know what they're doing it can be very instructional and you might learn a new tactic or see an army used in a way you might not expect. 

With respect to the army builder on the app, my biggest concern is they get rid of warscroll builder. I know they've kept their 40k list builder around, but that's because they have power level in 40k as a substitute for points. There's no equivalent for that in AoS and warscroll builder is miles ahead of anything their app will ever be, so they might drop it to avoid self competition. 

Interesting, thanks that does make sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

the good channels EDIT their battle reports to cut down on irrelevant banter so it's not too long. they'll use 'cinematic' shots and provide multiple angles where you can see how the battle is progressing. the good batreps also lay out each turn phase + the rules being used so you know what's going on.

I've seen batreps go from 1.5hrs to ~3hrs. I don't personally watch the 3hr ones but from my understanding the longer ones are usually because of edition or battletome changes so there are more explanations going on.

Miniwargaming batreps are the easiest for me to watch because those guys have a really good groove that keeps the game flowing while still giving you the info needed to think about your own tactics.

on a closing note I will say that I don't watch batreps often, but if you're doing menial tasks that don't require too much brainpower they are good background watching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

Been a long time since I had any interest in 40k, so no idea about how the 40k app works. Anyone know if all unit profiles available to view for free?

None are for free

current is 9th Edition, with a Sub you get all the 8th Edi Datasheets, for the 9th Edi ones you need to buy the book while the 8th edi versions are removed
and the free army builder on the website only offers Powerlevel and not Points, the one with Points is only available with a Sub in the App

• Thanks 1