AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

Maybe he hasn’t a command ability on its own because there could be a series of faction-specific command abilities that different heroes or squad leaders can use, usually they show most if not all of the abilities on a warscroll though so who knows

3 minutes ago, Rawenwing said:

Maybe he hasn’t a command ability on its own because there could be a series of faction-specific command abilities that different heroes or squad leaders can use, usually they show most if not all of the abilities on a warscroll though so who knows

Yea the Killaboss on foot AND the Lord Imperatant from SC did not have a command ability on their cards. So you speculation is interesting. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PlayerJ said:

Yea the Killaboss on foot AND the Lord Imperatant from SC did not have a command ability on their cards. So you speculation is interesting. 

I think that future battletomes will eventually have an array of different commands and maybe secondary objectives like in 40k with faction specific stratagems and objectives, we will see if this system will be implemented in older books as well, meanwhile the mounted killaboss looks like a solid combat hero, 10 wounds with a 3+ save is really good and every 6+ to hit is 2 mortal wounds!

Leaks (or rumors) from our favorite green dudes:

Killaboss with Stabgrot 140
Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof 200
Murknob with Belcha-banna 115
Swampcalla Shaman 125
Hobgrotz 10/95
Manskewer Boltboyz 3/120
Guttrippaz 10/180

Spoiler

Manskewer Boltboyz:
5" move, 2 wounds, 6+ save
Aimed Shot: 24" 1 attack, 3+/3+/-1/2
Hasty Shot: 12" 2 attacks, 4+/3+/-1/2
Can only use Aimed Shot if you didn't move and there are no enemies within 3"

Gutrippaz:
5" move, 2 wounds, 5+ save
2 attacks, 4+/4+/0/1
At the start of the charge phase if this unit is >3" from an enemy unit, pick an enemy unit within 12" that isnt a HERO or MONSTER. Roll 2d6 and add 1 to the roll for every model in this unit. If the result is higher than the enemy units bravery, subtract one from hit rolls when that enemy unit fights this unit until the end of the turn.

Murknob with Belch-banna:
6 wounds, 4+ save
3 attacks, 3+/3+/-1/2
KRULEBOYZ wholly within 12" ignore spells on a 5+
At the start of the combat phase roll a dice of each enemy unit within 3". On a 2-5, they suffer 1 mortal wound. On a 6 they suffer d3 mortal wounds.

Sludgeraker (Krule Boyz Dragon):

16w with 2+ saves. Ward save 6+
5 attacks at 3+/3+/-3/D4 (damage 4?)
Is a huge crocodilian that's more of a force of nature than a unit.
+1 to wound rolls if it charged. It's also about 150 points less than it ought to be. What's the catch? After the first time it fights it MUST charge the nearest enemy if able for the rest of the game, although a Breaka-boss can check it for a command point.

Skyrippa (Krule Boyz Bat-Like monster with Killaboss rider):
8w with 3+ saves, move 16", DS and -1 to be hit
Is a giant bat w/ a scorpion tail rode by a killaboss. Can deep strike. -1 to be hit.

• Like 2

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Is a giant bat w/ a scorpion tail rode by a killaboss.

Not commenting on the rules, but just those descriptions... oh my...

At first you had my curiosity But now you have my attention - Dicaprio  Django - quickmeme

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, C0deb1ue said:

Descriptions are great but the rules... somewhat less so without knowing other buffs

That's why it's nearly always pointless commenting on rule rumors which are likely at best out of context or mistranslated. I wait to see once the full profile comes out, hence me not quoting them and only focusing on the descriptions. 

Just now, SunStorm said:

That's why it's nearly always pointless commenting on rule rumors which are likely at best out of context or mistranslated. I wait to see once the full profile comes out, hence me not quoting them and only focusing on the descriptions. 

We can see they have bad baselines regardless of what will come but need to see all the layers

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, C0deb1ue said:

We can see they have bad baselines regardless of what will come but need to see all the layers

But can we? We can see what someone on the internet says the profiles will be, but until I see more official proof I'm not going to make snap judgments on out of context rumours. 

Remember that there are two new CAs: +1 to hit (All Out Attack) and +1 to save (All Out Defense) for Shooting or Fighting Phase.

And if the Troggoth one is a Monster, we pack 3 at least with 4 abilities to use:

Spoiler

AoSDaily3 Jun3 Boxout2

Maybe our small orukks are not like their big bros, but mw and some dirty tricks (that I hope to see with our abilities) are going to be our bread and butter. I think that we don't need to judge our buddies for their 4+/4+ attacks and 5+ saves...

Edited by Beliman

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

Swampcalla Shaman 125
Hobgrotz 10/95
Manskewer Boltboyz 3/120
Guttrippaz 10/180

Hide contents

Manskewer Boltboyz:

Gutrippaz:
2 attacks, 4+/4+/0/1
At the start of the charge phase if this unit is >3" from an enemy unit, pick an enemy unit within 12" that isnt a HERO or MONSTER. Roll 2d6 and add 1 to the roll for every model in this unit. If the result is higher than the enemy units bravery, subtract one from hit rolls when that enemy unit fights this unit until the end of the turn.

6 wounds, 4+ save
3 attacks, 3+/3+/-1/2
At the start of the combat phase roll a dice of each enemy unit within 3". On a 2-5, they suffer 1 mortal wound. On a 6 they suffer d3 mortal wounds.

+1 to wound rolls if it charged. It's also about 150 points less than it ought to be. What's the catch? After the first time it fights it MUST charge the nearest enemy if able for the rest of the game, although a Breaka-boss can check it for a command point.

Is a giant bat w/ a scorpion tail rode by a killaboss. Can deep strike. -1 to be hit.

I think most of these look pretty solid.

My first impression was that Manskewer Boltboys looks kinda bad, but after doing some calculations they might be OK. Their damage output at long range is low, even with mortals. I think you need to bring a squad of 6 for them to be worthwhile. At that size, with the Swampcalla buff, they will be able to snipe 5 wound heroes fairly reliably. It's an investment for sure, but it might be worth it.

They get better at close range. Hasty shot is better than aimed, in general. They are not a great target for Unleash Hell, though, because with hasty shot they will be hitting on 5+, which drives the damage way down. Unless they have the Swampcalla buff active, in which case they will do 8 mortals on average with Unleash Hell, which could be pretty devestating against high armour units.

Not in love with Gutrippaz, though. Looking at their melee profile, I would think they are supposed to be an anvil. They fight worse than skeleton warriors naturally, but the mortals on hit save them a bit. Overall low damage, though. For an anvil, their wounds are decent and their -1 to hit effect is nice, but their low save hurts.

Kruleboyz seem to be set up to deal most of their damage though their mortal wound allegiance ability, which is interesting. It makes them better against elite armies like Stormcast, but makes them struggle more against low-save trash units like Zombies.

We also have the stats for Hobgrot Slittaz, by the way:

5" Move, 6+ save, 1 wound, Bravery 4

Grenade: 1 attack 4+/3+/-1/1

Melee: 4+/5+/0/1

6 on hit cause two hits

Fine for a chaff unit. Notably, they probably won't get mortals on hit since they are not ORRUKs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Beliman said:

Swampcalla Shaman 125
Hobgrotz 10/95
Manskewer Boltboyz 3/120
Guttrippaz 10/180

Hide contents

Manskewer Boltboyz:

Gutrippaz:
2 attacks, 4+/4+/0/1

6 wounds, 4+ save
3 attacks, 3+/3+/-1/2

Gutrippas are movement 5 spider riders. That's the exact same attack profile as the giant spider, with the same save, hopefully they have 2" reach but I've heard they don't. Expect 3 mortals out of 10 attacking, and 6 out of 10 with the swampcaller buff with negligible normal damage. The -1 to hit means they might be intended to be anvils though.
Boltboyz seem more intended to snipe characters than put out damage.
Skyrippa sounds like a mutant wyvern. I like it.

5 minutes ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

Latest article on WarCom that lists the factions getting their AOS3.0 article lists Warclans and not Kruleboyz so it seems a definite now that the swampy boyz will NOT have their own book. 

Yeah that kind of kills it for me as not that interested in the rest of warclans though current players will/should be stoked. 

2 minutes ago, C0deb1ue said:

Yeah that kind of kills it for me as not that interested in the rest of warclans though current players will/should be stoked. 

Warclans is unlike literally any other book. The current one is three separate allegiance abilities, not three subfactions or clans, three separate allegiances with their own separate, unmixable, allegiance abilities.

Its not like Gitz where troggoths, spiderfang, and moonclan share the allegiance and can mix freely.

Kruleboyz will still have their own separate allegiance that Ironjawz and bonesplitterz can't come into (except maybe as allies, although Ironjawz can't even be allied into Bonesplitterz) with its own allegiance abilities.

Current warclans is 2 books stapled together with a few pages added in the middle for big WAAAGH! neither bonesplitterz nor Ironjawz lost anything in the transition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GSG looks different superficially but really works the same way as warclans. The subfactions only function with very narrow/linear choices and mixing actively makes your army terrible.

They sell it as a mix but the keyword bingo means the exact opposite. Which was exactly why I didn't want kruleboyz to be put in warclans... separate battletome would have been way better!

Edited by C0deb1ue

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Warclans is unlike literally any other book. The current one is three separate allegiance abilities, not three subfactions or clans, three separate allegiances with their own separate, unmixable, allegiance abilities.

Its not like Gitz where troggoths, spiderfang, and moonclan share the allegiance and can mix freely.

Kruleboyz will still have their own separate allegiance that Ironjawz and bonesplitterz can't come into (except maybe as allies, although Ironjawz can't even be allied into Bonesplitterz) with its own allegiance abilities.

Current warclans is 2 books stapled together with a few pages added in the middle for big WAAAGH! neither bonesplitterz nor Ironjawz lost anything in the transition.

Exactly. I don't get the hate for the Orruk Warclans book. As you point out it's really two separate army books in one, with a couple of pages added to allow the "soup" army of Big Waaagh. Moving from my old Ironjawz list to my current Orruk Warclans: Ironjawz list had no negative impact on how I play the game. I choose not to take Bonesplitterz, but I never feel like I'm missing out on something. 

We don't know how the new edition of it will work, but chances are, it will be 3 different army lists, Bonesplitterz, Ironjawz and Kruelboyz and a couple of pages with rules to take them all together with it's own advantages and disadvantages. 

So if someone wants to just focus on and play only with Kruelboyz, history suggests they will be able to do this and GW community even said this would be the case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Exactly. I don't get the hate for the Orruk Warclans book. As you point out it's really two separate army books in one, with a couple of pages added to allow the "soup" army of Big Waaagh. Moving from my old Ironjawz list to my current Orruk Warclans: Ironjawz list had no negative impact on how I play the game. I choose not to take Bonesplitterz, but I never feel like I'm missing out on something. 

We don't know how the new edition of it will work, but chances are, it will be 3 different army lists, Bonesplitterz, Ironjawz and Kruelboyz and a couple of pages with rules to take them all together with it's own advantages and disadvantages. 

So if someone wants to just focus on and play only with Kruelboyz, history suggests they will be able to do this and GW community even said this would be the case.

Is there hate for the warclans book? The only downside to Kruleboyz being part of the same book is probably a substantially smaller release than a standalone faction. It's not a negative in any other sense!

14 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

I don't get the hate for the Orruk Warclans book.

I think it's mostly people fearing that GW would consider all of the BT updated when only one of the 2 (now 3) factions in it gets new stuff, for example that Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz have had their 3rd Edition update with the addition of Kruleboyz (which pure IJ and BS players don't necessarily care about).

16 minutes ago, Takyz said:

I think it's mostly people fearing that GW would consider all of the BT updated when only one of the 2 (now 3) factions in it gets new stuff, for example that Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz have had their 3rd Edition update with the addition of Kruleboyz (which pure IJ and BS players don't necessarily care about).

Well it is pretty unlikely the other two will get anything new if Kruleboyz are the same battletome.

The dude that needs to charge and is cheaper by 150 points would make a great pair with kragnos put 2 of these on one side of your army and kragnos on the other and you have many distraction carnifexes and absolute beasts!

On 6/11/2021 at 8:13 AM, C0deb1ue said:

GSG looks different superficially but really works the same way as warclans. The subfactions only function with very narrow/linear choices and mixing actively makes your army terrible.

I just started playing them and I really haven t seen why this is the case. Troggoths and Fanatics dont have any unique buffs from their keyword(though Dankholds CA wont be redundant in the new edition), the Webspinner Shaman on Aracknarock with the Cauldron is an amazing support piece and while Squig Hoppers and Spider Riders do have synergies they can benefit from; they're best used just as fast screens which are rarely in a position to use synergies anyway.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila