AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

Ok, I feel like bringing 4 Korsagi Nightgaurd along with Radukar the Wolf is something I have to try.  Tanking wounds on a 2+, with a 5+ Ward, giving Radukar 16 spare wounds, and all delivered on a respectably killy profile?

As a unit of 4 they avoid the new coherency issues, they have a reach of 2” anyway, so you can hide them behind 25mm skeletons or zombies…

Taking into account the separated Vyrkos Heroes, I ordered a Torgillius off ebay since he basically is a Necromancer without VDM for 10pts less (which helps with building this list):

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords

- Lineage: Kastelai Dynasty

Leaders

Prince Vhordrai (455)

- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Vengorian Lord (280)

- General

- Command Trait: Rousing Commander

- Artefact: Sword of the Red Seneschals

- Generic Spell: Flaming Weapon 

Torgillius (115)

Battleline

5 x Blood Knights (195)

5 x Blood Knights (195)

5 x Blood Knights (195)

10 x Dire Wolves (135)

20 x Zombies (115)

20 x Zombies (115)

Other

3 x Fell Bats (75)

3 x Fell Bats (75)

Endless Spell

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Total: 1995 / 2000

Torgillius does what a Necromancer usually does; hanging around with a unit of Zombies. Batallions are 2x Battle Regiment. Cogs for Charges, Bats for Shooting. 

They are (Kosargi this is) that good IMO, and Radukar re-rolling for spells makes him an underrated Vamp Lord on foot IMO.  He makes good use of every new rulebook spell.  With Spoor Tracker from a friend and a Vanguard formation you can pretty well expect to hold the center of the table turn one with 2 At the Double’s; especially if you take turn 2 or get a CP off Torgy or Heroics.  I’ve been running Cogs to get him to Pinion himself and try to Levitate the Nightguard, then just smush them into the middle of the zombs and it’s on.

Radukar the Wolf is unique and thus does not have access to the core book spells.  Still pretty solid for 150 though.  Hard to choose between him and the Beast, but Radukar, Torgilius, and 2 to 4 nightguard is a nice little infantry command blob, if your army runs enough of an infantry base to take advantage of them.

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

Radukar the Wolf is unique and thus does not have access to the core book spells.  Still pretty solid for 150 though.  Hard to choose between him and the Beast, but Radukar, Torgilius, and 2 to 4 nightguard is a nice little infantry command blob, if your army runs enough of an infantry base to take advantage of them.

The chance at extra CP, a 4+ ward, and a good warscroll spell on Torgillus does sound nice.  His only weakness is that he isn’t a vampire, so doesn’t get to reroll his casts, but that isn’t a deal breaker.  And agreed, 2 sets of two is Korsagi is the right choice if you want 4 (why not take more, lol), and avoids wasting a reinforcement point.

1 hour ago, Sception said:

you can roll for endless legions in both players battleshock phases, however destroyed units can only be replaced once, and destroyed replacement units cannot themselves be replaced.  Still probably a positive change overall, but maybe not by as much as you'd first imagine.

Personally, I will take the extra reliability over the higher potential payoff any day. Plus, resurrecting a unit at the end of the opponent's battleshock phase is really great timing.

New FAQ to endless legions now changes the timing to roll to end of every battleshock phase from end of your battleshock phase. Definitely a win there especially if you are going after your opponent and get a revive off in their turn plus it basically doubles the potential revive chances over the course of the game from basically 4(technically 5) to 8(technically 10. ) Technically being if you happened to go second and your opponent kills a unit on their t1.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doko said:

Yes but also a big nerf,now a revived unit cant be revived again.

So no longer posible bring 20 models then 10 then 5 then 3 etc now only original 20 and nothing more even if they die

Yes but I would also say that was probably the original intention anyway and how I was already playing it, so no nerfs to me.

• Like 4

Lol no,i agree that i didnt played as others persons was doing,

We had a full unit of 40 died.

Some people was bringing every turn 20 models because the original unit was of 40 

To me this wasnt good and never did.

But bring 20, when these 20 die bringing 10 when died 5 etc it was as i played it and i dont see how that wasnt the intention.

New rules do it pretty useless,now only usefull to try get something far away objetive if you rival dont know play and let it open because how a rule to bring back units as was designed is useless allready

The update to Endless Legion is a huge BUFF overall IMO. Perhaps not if you're playing a niche build. However in the Kastelai lists I've played or plan to play for tournaments the plan has always been only a few summonable units for chaff or cheap bodies. They die early and then their sole purpose when/if they come back is to come back at a gravesite location that is behind the opponents lines near an objective that is going to require them to redirect SOMETHING to deal with it or risk losing an objective. This worked clutch for me in a tournament last month, where I placed a gravesite in the far back corner of my opponents territory. I got 5 Dire Wolves back and due to their speed they could cover the ground quickly. All of a sudden my opponent who had most units in the middle of the field had to deal with a fast moving unit in a back corner away from the rest of my stuff. So to make Endless Legion more reliable (in the sense that it basically happens twice as often) is a huge buff, at least for how I play SBGL.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Nightseer2012 said:

The chance at extra CP, a 4+ ward, and a good warscroll spell on Torgillus does sound nice.  His only weakness is that he isn’t a vampire, so doesn’t get to reroll his casts, but that isn’t a deal breaker.  And agreed, 2 sets of two is Korsagi is the right choice if you want 4 (why not take more, lol), and avoids wasting a reinforcement point.

That extra CP goes quite far in a lot of Soulblight combos as well so far.  It has let me get a timely Call of the Hunt and All out’s while protecting your assault from counter attacks with things like Belladamma’s  pack leader’d wolves rushing down one flank or Gorslav bringing back a unit to speed bump.  Another thing is Bloodseeker Palanquin’s looking a bit nicer for Vyrkos now that you can cherry pick all the Vampires, my Coven Throne and Palanquin just arrived in the mail for my LoB but starting to see some nice plays.

Under the Killing Moon Vargskyr is pretty scary to 2 wound enemies, fighting from behind two zombies keeps them safe from a lot of retaliation.

Despite not getting faction terrain/endless spells, I’m sure feeling spoiled for choice as far as every unit in this battle tome having a place and good reason to try.

Edited by Andalf

I just thought that they should kinda make Radukar's court be purchasable separately for fielding more units of Nightguard & Blood-borne without sitting on x useless heroes per purchase, but now that I had a look at it again, it doesn't even seem that bad a deal to me as I figure the Vargskyr/Blood-borne/Nightguard would probably be 30,- each, anyway. Agh. Vyrkos sure is tempting and even more so, now. Since it's fine to add a VLoZD and Blood Knights there, you even get your share of vampiric martial prowess. I'm torn 🙂

21 minutes ago, Andalf said:

That extra CP goes quite far in a lot of Soulblight combos as well so far.  It has let me get a timely Call of the Hunt and All out’s while protecting your assault from counter attacks with things like Belladamma’s  pack leader’d wolves rushing down one flank or Gorslav bringing back a unit to speed bump.  Another thing is Bloodseeker Palanquin’s looking a bit nicer for Vyrkos now that you can cherry pick all the Vampires, my Coven Throne and Palanquin just arrived in the mail for my LoB but starting to see some nice plays.

Under the Killing Moon Vargskyr is pretty scary to 2 wound enemies, fighting from behind two zombies keeps them safe from a lot of retaliation.

Despite not getting faction terrain/endless spells, I’m sure feeling spoiled for choice as far as every unit in this battle tome having a place and good reason to try.

well, except for black knights and for the most part wight kings

• Haha 1

Which Radukar to take is going to be an interesting question. Beast does a lot more, but Wolf is going to be awfully difficult to kill when supported by Nightguard and he fills one of those coveted "small hero" slots for battalions which is kinda huge for Soulblight.

2 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

well, except for black knights and for the most part wight kings

I dunno, Neil Arthur’s Wight King Bravery bomb is in most of my LoB lists so far, along with 15 Black knights.  Mostly so I can get away with 360 points of battle line and get BLOOD KNIGHTS with the rest of them without risking the internet thinking I play warhammer for fun! 🤪🥸😎

Edited by Andalf
  • Haha 2

Considering starting a Soulblight Avengorii army now that the Vyrkos are free (yeah i know they dont get the benefit, i dont really care, i just wanna use the Bloodborn rules)

Any suggestions for alternate Bloodborn models so they look less feral, more regal? Like the new foot Vampire Lord?

I mostly play with my friends so not at all worried about competitive or anything like that

8 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

Considering starting a Soulblight Avengorii army now that the Vyrkos are free (yeah i know they dont get the benefit, i dont really care, i just wanna use the Bloodborn rules)

Any suggestions for alternate Bloodborn models so they look less feral, more regal? Like the new foot Vampire Lord?

I mostly play with my friends so not at all worried about competitive or anything like that

Crimson Court models come to mind.

Idk if anybody of GW is reading this. Yet: Thanks for making the CC Models usable usable as several units! :)

Edit: I instantly ordered more Kosargi and Blood-born! Would be cool if every Dynasty would get access to such units ❤️

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Idk if anybody of GW is reading this. Yet: Thanks for making the CC Models usable usable as several units! :)

Edit: I instantly ordered more Kosargi and Blood-born! Would be cool if every Dynasty would get access to such units ❤️

The new update has definitely enabled the fluffy Vyrkos list I wanted to write since we first got to see the new units as part of Cursed City. Making the Vargskyr, Nightguard and Bloodborn into real units definitely changes things a lot.

I also really like Gorslav as a stand alone guy. I will seriously consider him as a filler unit in any list that brings Deadwalkers. Which is every list, because Direwolves are super good. For 75 points he competes with Fell Bats of all things, which is pretty insane for a unit that can resurrect for a command point.

I'm pretty excited to build a double Warlord list with Belladamma, Radukar the Wolf, Kritza and Annika in it. Should kinda play like mini Cities of Sigmar with Torgillius as the adjutant and the Nightguard as Honoured Retinue.

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The new update has definitely enabled the fluffy Vyrkos list I wanted to write since we first got to see the new units as part of Cursed City. Making the Vargskyr, Nightguard and Bloodborn into real units definitely changes things a lot.

I also really like Gorslav as a stand alone guy. I will seriously consider him as a filler unit in any list that brings Deadwalkers. Which is every list, because Direwolves are super good. For 75 points he competes with Fell Bats of all things, which is pretty insane for a unit that can resurrect for a command point.

I'm pretty excited to build a double Warlord list with Belladamma, Radukar the Wolf, Kritza and Annika in it. Should kinda play like mini Cities of Sigmar with Torgillius as the adjutant and the Nightguard as Honoured Retinue.

I feel like there is a chance we were warhammer opponents in another life friend.  This is exactly the army I started building model wise when Cursed City landed myself (Grandma Volga, Vlad the Wolf and two red headed step vampires).  Having Gorslav, Kosargi and the vampires from the cursed city crew makes this feel so much more themed than any of the LoB or Vyrkos lists I’d been putting together.  You are right about how it plays like you would imagine an undead City of Sigmar and rather than play for battle score points looking ahead this might be one of the first tournament seasons I really try to build that fancy themed board, I’d been knocking ideas around since my Fiancée surprised me with Cursed City of nowhere. The army builds I’ve been tinkering with now seem more streamlined since I can more precisely choose which keyword I’m building around.  Spoor Tracker will probably end up on a Vengorian as my 6th character, I don’t know why but I am so into that zombie horde shuffling into the middle of the table...2nd turn goes so far for the army, and I think it’s going to play into the new missions  better than a lot of horde lists.

The only irksome part so far is I’m not so sure it will hang against a lot of the better AoS3 lists, but it has a ton of secret plays baked in I know it.  I would recommend the Spell Portal at minimum for the ‘Damma but think Cogs is so good for them too with the ability to reroll casts.

**and then I pictured Chad the Beast running with a pack of Vargskyr and blood born which gave me the thought of how to convert my Bloodseeker Palanquin more Vyrkos-y.

Edited by Andalf
Gramme
  • Like 1