Your pile of shame in picture

Maturin

Hey guys,

so I was wondering, am I totally nuts ? Am I the only one to spend so much into models I don't build or when I build them I don't even paint them ? I don't really have a lot of time to do it anyway but at least I could stop buying unpainted stuff. Buying painted is a good way to have beautiful models or cheap one without the hassle to do it (I'm a loosy painter but one day I hope I'll be able to paint at a good level).
But whenever I see some cheap second hands models or even boxed second hands ones, I can't resist. It's like a drug "OOOoOOhhhh Shinyyy. Ooooh cheaaaaap" And here we go again!

At least, I'll have a lot of stuff to paint if I live until retirement ;D. So here is my "Pile of Shame". How big is yours ?

PS : I can't paint right now even during lockdown, I have to finish writing to get into PHD.

Pile of shame.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 3

I refuse to take pictures of mine - mostly because it would require effort to get it all together in one place to photograph. 

That said I'd say its possibly smaller than yours - though as I've a fair few duel and boxed sets that can hide things. Four boxes of individual models looks a lot more than one christmas set that includes four in a single box. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I refuse to take pictures of mine - mostly because it would require effort to get it all together in one place to photograph.

I hear you! The picture is actually taken before I rapatriated all the boxes from around my flat :D. And there are some more below my bed :D. I've got some moar WFB Empire army box, War altar, lots of troops, DArk elves, dwarves and some 40K.

Damn that hobby is my ruin! But Shinyyyyyy plastic!

At one time mine was probably about that large, but during the beginning of 8th, I sold everything but my Orcs and Goblins and a few metal ogres that I really like (i.e. All the maneaters). I probably had ~1,000 points of at least 6 different armies in addition to my O&G.

During AOS, I've done fairly well by keeping it in the Destruction family except for Underworlds. Mostly just Ironjawz and Gloomspite to date. Warcry and Underworlds is really threatening my collection boundaries however, especially as those games probably fit my lifestyle better now.

I have woefully little time for hobbies and gaming so mostly I live vicariously through others on this forum and elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

I'm the Marie Kondo of Warhammer. I literally almost never have any surplus boxes, and only buy new ones as I need them.

I even give away paints that I don't think I'll need going forward (e.g. if I change my mind on a colour scheme, etc.), so as to make sure not to accumulate too many paint pots either.

Nothing messes my OCD-ridden head more than having stuff I don't need lying around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I tend to build quite quickly after getting things, but then take years over actually painting them. So I don't have a vast pile of unopened boxes, but do have many cases of minis that are gradually being painted. At present I have more kits to build than I usually do, since I grabbed quite a lot of stuff that I wanted before the games shops closed, and have been pretty busy since. Its only equivalent to one stack in your picture though. I also don't think feeling ashamed is a useful response. Its a pile of future joy!

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 2

@Maturin Also get that Silver Tower painted up! Brilliant game, and easily playable by none warhammer playing folks. (also called normies, or board gamers #shudders.) ;) 

Due to that game I'm now playing a Narrative Campaign with my Girlfriend. All that unpainted plastic is suddenly a shining horde of potential adversaries. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

I tend to build quite quickly after getting things, but then take years over actually painting them. So I don't have a vast pile of unopened boxes, but do have many cases of minis that are gradually being painted. At present I have more kits to build than I usually do, since I grabbed quite a lot of stuff that I wanted before the games shops closed, and have been pretty busy since. Its only equivalent to one stack in your picture though. I also don't think feeling ashamed is a useful response. Its a pile of future joy!

Same here. I love to build, but am afraid of painting. 😬

13 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I'm the Marie Kondo of Warhammer. I literally almost never have any surplus boxes, and only buy new ones as I need them.

I even give away paints that I don't think I'll need going forward (e.g. if I change my mind on a colour scheme, etc.), so as to make sure not to accumulate too many paint pots either.

Nothing messes my OCD-ridden head more than having stuff I don't need lying around.

2133244722_Dogecrown.jpg.40cfde352ecfb27c6c9d328439751897.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I got back into the hobby just over a year ago, and starting buying minis for multiple games but never really completed anything, just jumping from one project to another. I've pretty much stopped buying until progress is made on what I have, e.g. I'm building towards a 1000 pt Nurgle army this year, have a start collecting set in progress, won't buy more for it until that is completed.

It was annoying me looking at a desk full of half finished minis, and took the enjoyment out of it, just felt like work trying to get stuff finished. Feels good to just complete stuff and put it away.

Good article from the author of frostgrave on the subject:

https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2019/10/deliberate-purchasing.html?m=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

Same here. I love to build, but am afraid of painting. 😬

I feel you; When I see all thos beautifully painted minis i tend to think "No way i'm going to ****** up my shiny plastic men with such crappy paint job". Then I don't learn how to ...

But thing is, I started the Hobby at a really strange time, that is during The End Times. I've known about Space Marines for 20 years, but could never play them because I was too busy with sports/school/work. Then when I got some more time to spend on leisures I stumbled upon WFB and immediately fell in love with the Lore and universe.
But everything then was about to be destroyed, miniatures would go missing and I didn't have lots of money to spend at that time (GW products are expensive after all). So I gradually became obsessed with finding all those long gone miniaturse at cheap prices and I started stockpiling them.

I think that when I'll really start to paint for the sake of learning how to paint, I'll either stick with Stormcasts and Space Marines to do so. The day I'll become good, then I'll fulfill my dream :

- Having a High Elf army from every single kingdom
- Same for The Empire.

When i'll be a millionnaire I'll also build a massive MAcross Diorama representing a battle fought on the SDF-1 with tons of valkyries, Zentradi pods and of course human non flying robots such as the Spartan, Destroyers etc.

Ok that's it, I'm nuts.

Edited by Maturin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MarkK said:

I got back into the hobby just over a year ago, and starting buying minis for multiple games but never really completed anything, just jumping from one project to another. I've pretty much stopped buying until progress is made on what I have, e.g. I'm building towards a 1000 pt Nurgle army this year, have a start collecting set in progress, won't buy more for it until that is completed.

It was annoying me looking at a desk full of half finished minis, and took the enjoyment out of it, just felt like work trying to get stuff finished. Feels good to just complete stuff and put it away.

Good article from the author of frostgrave on the subject:

https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2019/10/deliberate-purchasing.html?m=1

Easy fix. Get your GF/Wife to paint too :D.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Easy fix. Get your GF/Wife to paint too :D.

Ha! Could be the right idea these days, potential opponent under the same roof too! 

I know you're up to your neck in studies at the minute, but when you need a break, I would start small and maybe build one of the shadespire warbands, 15-20 mins a day, two warbands built and you can play a game. Then prime and paint in small sessions. In a month or two, you could have a fully painted game, which is a rare thing!

48 minutes ago, MarkK said:

Ha! Could be the right idea these days, potential opponent under the same roof too!

You knwo what, I actually took my GF to the local GW store to start painting with me last year. She actually enjoyed it, but not to the point she's going to start her own mini collection. Close call :D, especially when she saw Morathi and Alarielle.

49 minutes ago, MarkK said:

I know you're up to your neck in studies at the minute, but when you need a break, I would start small and maybe build one of the shadespire warbands, 15-20 mins a day, two warbands built and you can play a game. Then prime and paint in small sessions. In a month or two, you could have a fully painted game, which is a rare thing!

Will do this summer, if I'm done writing and/or didn't get an extension to finish until september :D.
Thing is I tried Warbands once and it was quite an interesting game. A good entrance to the whole universe for neophytes. I tried to initiate the GF and her 13 yo brother to the game but even AOS is too complex!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

I feel you; When I see all thos beautifully painted minis i tend to think "No way i'm going to ****** up my shiny plastic men with such crappy paint job". Then I don't learn how to ...

Try this...

(1) Build a Warcry warband off eBay with metal models (e.g. Metal Grave Guard, or whatever).

(2) Just go all-in. You can strip metal models so easily, as they are unaffected by the harshest chemicals and you can scrub them really hard.

(3) Once you have your confidence up switch to plastics.

• LOVE IT! 1

I have been pretty good at getting most of my stuff painted, but my big grey shame is my goblin army. I keep wanting to make them my highest level painted army but that has just resulted in my pushing them off and never starting. So now I have over 4,000 points of shame. 

2020-04-02 09.24.20.jpg

spidergoblins.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Maturin said:

Thing is I tried Warbands once and it was quite an interesting game. A good entrance to the whole universe for neophytes. I tried to initiate the GF and her 13 yo brother to the game but even AOS is too complex!

Best of luck with the PhD!

A simpler game like Song of Blades and Heroes or Warcry might be a good shout, both pretty simplified, with any miniatures working with Song of Blades & Heroes