Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++
A nudge at @Nasrod (as well as anybody else thinking of doing anything similar). I know what you said was part in jest but please remember that a lot of people in this topic just want to talk about one of their favourite armies. They don’t really want to see comments about their army being negative and I think how the world is still, it’s nice to have a sanctuary to go to.

Also I’ve been playing GW games for over 25 years and I’m pretty such things will work themselves out. With Broken Realm books, there’s a feel of new edition coming, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see other armies being similar when they get done or updated. 

At this point I am just enjoying the absurdity of the trolls.

According to more than a few (all of whom should know better) members of this forum and the internet writ large, the LRL book has managed to single handedly suck the fun from their chosen hobby.  

The really interesting this is that it appears this forum is filled with lawbreakers who have been out in violation of the various global curfews and shutdowns, but only to visit their local game stores (open for in-person gaming somehow) where the eeeeeevil LRL players (again, lawbreakers) have been waiting at the tables to spread the gospel of NPE.  This is the only way I see that so many people have the experience against LRL,  because of course they are not just posting without actual evidence.  That could never happen.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ Mod Hat On +++
A nudge at @Nasrod (as well as anybody else thinking of doing anything similar). I know what you said was part in jest but please remember that a lot of people in this topic just want to talk about one of their favourite armies. They don’t really want to see comments about their army being negative and I think how the world is still, it’s nice to have a sanctuary to go to.

Also I’ve been playing GW games for over 25 years and I’m pretty such things will work themselves out. With Broken Realm books, there’s a feel of new edition coming, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see other armies being similar when they get done or updated. 

Fair. For the record, absolutely not intended to troll. I am legitimately glad that you guys escaped the narrowness of the build choices you had, LRL felt half baked and now there are options. If anything I wish the Alarith had gotten 1 more hero, because now it feels really anemic when compared to Hurakan. 

My frustrations lie simply with how the upgrades for your 2nd outing addressed so many issues, yet the 2nd outing for HoS has been more or less a mess. 

But! That frustration should be voiced in general threads, not the dedicated thread for the LRL army and was out of line in retrospect. I will edit out the salt out the post and simply leave the list for those interested, and that will be the end of my whinging. 

Cheers all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Austin said:

At this point I am just enjoying the absurdity of the trolls.

According to more than a few (all of whom should know better) members of this forum and the internet writ large, the LRL book has managed to single handedly suck the fun from their chosen hobby.  

The really interesting this is that it appears this forum is filled with lawbreakers who have been out in violation of the various global curfews and shutdowns, but only to visit their local game stores (open for in-person gaming somehow) where the eeeeeevil LRL players (again, lawbreakers) have been waiting at the tables to spread the gospel of NPE.  This is the only way I see that so many people have the experience against LRL,  because of course they are not just posting without actual evidence.  That could never happen.

Unless you’re in New Zealand where we’ve basically been back to ‘normal’ for over a year 😛 (occasionally going back into lockdown every few months when too many cases have passed through the border somehow)

In all seriousness though, Lumineth don’t seem to get much play here from what I’ve seen. They’re pretty popular from a sales point of view, but that is most likely due to the exclusively painters

So I have a hobby question for everyone.  Back in the day I painted my High Elf army to match the various different provinces of Ulthuan, each unit tying in to which province they were most iconic in.  I tied the entire scheme in with copious amounts of white paint and matching bases.

Now that we have more countries to choose from, I want to replicate this with the Lumineth.  Outside of the models tied to Ymetrica specifically, which unit would you put where, what do you think would be a good unifying color, and would matching bases still work, considering how different each country is geographically?

52 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

So I have a hobby question for everyone.  Back in the day I painted my High Elf army to match the various different provinces of Ulthuan, each unit tying in to which province they were most iconic in.  I tied the entire scheme in with copious amounts of white paint and matching bases.

Now that we have more countries to choose from, I want to replicate this with the Lumineth.  Outside of the models tied to Ymetrica specifically, which unit would you put where, what do you think would be a good unifying color, and would matching bases still work, considering how different each country is geographically?

This is a bit of a tricky one.  As you say, Ymetrica for Alarith and Helon is the obvious one for Hurakan units.  After that it's not so straightforward since the Vanari are the standard troops for all the Nations. 

You could have the Scinari from Zaitrec, as that is the wizardy one, and any Bladelords as bodyguards.  

Perhaps Vanari Wardens and foot Heroes from Syar, since that seems to be the more melee killy one judging from it's abilities.

Sentinels and Ballistae (and foot Heroes) from Illiatha, as the abilities seem to encourage units to be close to each other and both can do that relatively easily.

Dawnriders and Lord Regents from  Alumnia as that makes use of movement abilities and Cavalry are all about movement.

Unifying them all with matching bases is a good idea.  Each Nation is large enough that there will be commonalities among all of them.  

As for a unifying colour, I'm not sure.  White is already taken, perhaps black?  Or use the two main colours for each Nation on cloth, but have the same armour scheme throughout.

Anyway, hope that helps in some way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

@Aelfric That does help, thanks for the ideas!  Would a metalic color by itself be enough to unify do you think, allowing me to change armor styles?

I reckon that should work.  Gold and siver are the standard go-to, so maybe a brass, bronze or copper would stand out in an overall theme.  It wouldn't have to be much, just enough to show through when the units are all together.  

This is a really interesting concept you have. Would love to see the results, if that's ok.

@Aelfric Thanks again!  And I will definitely post pics, but it may have to wait a while, money depending.  At the moment I have the original collection box and one unit of Sentinels.  I will admit I found it hard to get inspired after the original release, but the second release has rekindled my interest.  I've played Eltharion since WHFB 5th edition, so I'm planning on doing one of each of the Vanari units in the old colors of Yvresse, and then as I build from there I'll be adding the different nations' colors into the scheme.

Something interesting I just noticed after finally getting the new book and reading the background information, and it ties into my previous comments about keywords.  The new Twins, Lyrior, and Sevireth all have the Ymetrica keyword, yet none of them are actually from Ymetrica.  The Twins it says are specifically from Iliatha, though they are psuedo-banished for being too amazing.  Sevireth is actually described as the Wind of Haixiah, which is the circular country that surrounds the all of the rest of Hysh and is the testing grounds for those seeking enlightenment.  Finally, Lyrior does bear the title Warden of Ymetrica, but from the small blurb they have on him, it sounds as though this was awarded more for his defense of Tor Limina in Ymetrica, which cost him his family in Muavheil.  I couldn't find any reference to which country Muavheil is located in, and further, they say he is Lord Regent Supreme, putting him above all of the Tyrionic nations, and sort of embassador supreme to the Teclians. 

So for all three of these, while I can see why they may want to prevent them from interacting with the other subrealms from a rules perspective, I think it would have just made more sense to say they have no subfaction, rather than give them a keyword that actually is at odds with the fluff they've written about the characters.  

• Like 5

I played my first 2000 points game today with my Lumineth army. The hero phase took a little bit long, but it was nice to pay with almost all rules in the game (we skipped the terrain buff/nerf rules).

We played a game with two objectives on each side. I started since I had the lowest drops of us two.

My goal was to somehow survive with my Dawnriders and take one of the enemy objectives while my other battelines would come and support.

The sentinels did the most support compared to my wardens. I guess their job was just to protect my sentinels and keeping enemies away from Teclis.

I killed 4-5 chaos warriors on the first turn while I charged with one group of Dawnriders. They got lucky and had the enemies in a chokehold, so they couldn't get in and attack with all the warriors.

The next turn the chaos player sent forces where it was needed to respond to my movements. But suddenly I had 10 chaos knights behind my army (I couldn't reach with unbinding). Luckily only 5 reached Teclis.

Then I got doubled turned. I thought Teclis would be in trouble, but the held his place with lucky dices.

Eltharion on the other hand, had a really good run. He got pulled in to the battle when 15 chaos warriors piled on to attack my other group of Dawnriders.

He got really lucky with the dices and single handedly killed 9 chaos warriors.

On my next turn, Teclis and my sentinels and cathaller finished the rest of the chaos knights and Eltharion got the rest of the chaos warriors on the flank they attacked.

The score was equal, but the game was in my favor. We forgot to role for the initiative turn three, but my friend took the turn and decided to send everything toward Teclis since he felt the game was over. 

The Lord of change didn't reach Teclis, and the gaunt summoner failed to kill any sentinels.

Then on my turn I sent in my two units of wardens and killed the Lord Of Change. The the game was called.

---

Thoughts: I still feel that there is a lot to keep track of, but overall I think LrL offers a lot of stuff in the game. 

The magic phase wasn't dead for my opponent, and I didn't get everything I wanted to cast off either. 

The game was pretty close, and I had maybe a better favor with the dice gods, so I dedicate my victory to that.

________

Btw, can you cast arcane bolt and mystic shield as many times, or it's just one per phase? (Me and my friend/opponent tried to find the answer in the core rules, but ain't sure). Most spells you can only cast once per phase, but is it the same with these generic ones?

IMG_20210410_210604_691.jpg

IMG_20210410_210604_700.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

So for all three of these, while I can see why they may want to prevent them from interacting with the other subrealms from a rules perspective, I think it would have just made more sense to say they have no subfaction, rather than give them a keyword that actually is at odds with the fluff they've written about the characters. 

I agree.  In fact, I find it irksome.  It's just sloppy.  I've started to just think in terms that they're not from whichever Nation I'm using (1st choice Illiatha) rather than that they're from somewhere in particular.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howdyhedberg said:

Btw, can you cast arcane bolt and mystic shield as many times, or it's just one per phase? (Me and my friend/opponent tried to find the answer in the core rules, but ain't sure). Most spells you can only cast once per phase, but is it the same with these generic ones?

Yes, only once each per turn. It’s on page 8 of the core rules - “You cannot attempt to cast the same spell more than once in the same turn (even with a different wizard.”

Any exceptions to this (like power of Hysh for example) are noted on the warcsroll.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

Yes, only once each per turn. It’s on page 8 of the core rules - “You cannot attempt to cast the same spell more than once in the same turn (even with a different wizard.”

Any exceptions to this (like power of Hysh for example) are noted on the warcsroll.

Thanks! I read it through pretty fast. (I didn't do that spell several times, but I wasn't sure when my opponent asked).

Edited by Howdyhedberg

Although I like the Bladelord models, I have 20 Spire of Dawn Swordmasters still on sprue who have been waiting patiently for many years and I am not a millionaire.  So, they will be my new Bladelords.  I am assuming they are on 32mm bases, but could someone confirm this before I actually put them together.

Thanks.

(Now waiting for a Vanari Regent on Gryphon to be released :) )

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

Although I like the Bladelord models, I have 20 Spire of Dawn Swordmasters still on sprue who have been waiting patiently for many years and I am not a millionaire.  So, they will be my new Bladelords.  I am assuming they are on 32mm bases, but could someone confirm this before I actually put them together.

Thanks.

(Now waiting for a Vanari Regent on Gryphon to be released :) )

They are on 32mm bases : )

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Adding to the other comments you got so far, I think a Loreseeker would fit perfectly for Alumnia. 

The Loreseekers are the most Tyronic of the Scinari. While their journey across the Realms fits in very well with the adventure spirit of the Alumnia Lumineth.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

That sounded like a fun game, I can imagine the “oh ****** moment” when the Chaos Knights popped up next to Teclis : ). 

Indeed! 

Have any of y'all bought the epub3 battletome? I can get it to work fine on my phone, but there ain't really any good apps for my surface & stationary computer to view them :/

On 4/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, Siegfried VII said:

Both shows exaggerate. In order to make use of the Batttalion you need either Sevireth or the Windmage to be wholly within12 inches of the windchargers and that limits quite a lot what you can do with the battalion. And the windmage can die quite easily from afar crippling this strategy quite easily..

After some time I believe the windcharger fashion will subside..

I've been one to defend Lumineth against plenty of accusations of NPE, but I think you're underestimating just how easy it is to lock down units with Windchargers. Even outside of the battalion, 2 units of windchargers can potentially lock down a single unit all game if your opponent doesn't get a double turn, and for an extremely low cost.  Obviously, there are loads of other factors, but you can take 5 units of 5 for only 650 points and have unprecedented control of the board.

In the hands of a good player several units of windchargers are going to be a nightmare to play against, and I suspect a change to pile-in rules is coming in AoS 3.0

34 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I've been one to defend Lumineth against plenty of accusations of NPE, but I think you're underestimating just how easy it is to lock down units with Windchargers. Even outside of the battalion, 2 units of windchargers can potentially lock down a single unit all game if your opponent doesn't get a double turn, and for an extremely low cost.  Obviously, there are loads of other factors, but you can take 5 units of 5 for only 650 points and have unprecedented control of the board.

In the hands of a good player several units of windchargers are going to be a nightmare to play against, and I suspect a change to pile-in rules is coming in AoS 3.0

Can you describe how the Windchargers will be able to lockdown units outside or inside the battalion?

1 hour ago, Siegfried VII said:

Can you describe how the Windchargers will be able to lockdown units outside or inside the battalion?

It's easiest to imagine with a single entity like a bloodthirster - charge two units in on opposite sides, pile out to 2.9" so they are equidistant from the enemy, and the enemy can't pile in at all and can only fight if it has any 3" range weapons. You can do this against other units too, but they may be able to get a model or two on either end of the unit into your Windchargers if they have enough models to string between both sides and within weapon range. To be clear, with normal pile-in rules this is still a good strategy, but being able to pull out to just under 3" makes it incredibly hard for your opponent to get any models into fighting range. 

If you have the battalion, you don't even need to charge into half an inch anyway - you just pile in to exactly where you want to be with all your windchargers and they will never have a chance to hit you first. Then on their turn, you can opt to remain in combat and sit at 2.9" or just disengage entirely and pile back to 2.9" next combat phase.

Of course, you will still lose some windchargers over the course of the game, but your opponent has to put a disproportionate amount of effort into dealing with them, all the while your entire Auralan Legion's worth of other models are capturing objectives and winning the game.

Edited by chosen_of_khaine
  • Like 2