Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

Just now, Austin said:

I really liked that you tried out that list in a tournament.

Let me ask you this- how much utility did you get out of the 3 inch additional shots from the Roos?   As in, how often did you you get to use it and how many at a time?

So the most i got was against tzeentch against his horrors. got all 5 doing 16 shots in total. Severith used it a fair bit. Then besides that would be against NightHaunt. Against IDK they were to squishy and against ogors i couldnt eat through all of the wounds. Against Nurgle i just walked around them

• Like 1

So having read through the 3.0 core rules, there are some cool changes that effect Lumineth.

- They changed the section about 'most wizards" having access to Mystic shield and Arcane Bolt, to "All Wizards know the arcane bolt and Mystic Shield Spells"

So our Vanari wizard champions can finally have access to both arcane bolt and Mystic shield. Pretty awesome since mystic shield is now back to being a +1 to save, not reroll 1's.

Miscasts are back!

An unmodified casting roll of 2 is a miscast, and your wizards spell automatically fails, they then suffer d3 mortal wounds. Additionally, for multicasters, if you miscast a spell, you cannot cast any further spells with that wizard in that hero phase.

Something else super powerful

The "Magnificent" bonus for using certain core battalions allows you to choose several additional enhancements for your army, artefacts, spells, triumphs.

The 'Spell lores Enhancement' is of particular interest to us, in that it allows every wizard in your army to learn 1 additional spell choosing from any spell lores they have access too. I first thought this must be my own misreading, as it seemed super powerful compared to the artefact enhancement only giving 1 additional artefact for 1 hero. But in the core rules, on the side bar, they clarify it by underling "allows every Wizard to know" 1 more spell from a spell lore.

Edited by Athrawes
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Athrawes said:

So having read through the 3.0 core rules, there are some cool changes that effect Lumineth.

- They changed the section about 'most wizards" having access to Mystic shield and Arcane Bolt, to "All Wizards know the arcane bolt and Mystic Shield Spells"

So our Vanari wizard champions can finally have access to both arcane bolt and Mystic shield. Pretty awesome since mystic shield is now back to being a +1 to save, not reroll 1's.

Miscasts are back!

An unmodified casting roll of 2 is a miscast, and your wizards spell automatically fails, they then suffer d3 mortal wounds. Additionally, for multicasters, if you miscast a spell, you cannot cast any further spells with that wizard in that hero phase.

The "Magnificent" bonus for using certain core battalions allows you to choose several additional enhancements for your army, artefacts, spells, triumphs.

The 'Spell lores Enhancement' is of particular interest to us, in that it allows every wizard in your army to learn 1 additional spell choosing from any spell lores they have access too. I first thought this must be my own misreading, as it seemed super powerful compared to the artefact enhancement only giving 1 additional artefact for 1 hero. But in the core rules, on the side bar, they clarify it by underling "allows every Wizard to know" 1 more spell from a spell lore.

So, that would mean that Auralan Champions in such a batallion from Zaitrec would know 5 spells: Bolt, Shield, Overwhelming Heat and 2 of their oen choosing from the Lore of Hysh. That sounds like insane versatility! 

Just a shame that the odd miscast will auto-kill the Chamions as well.

i am kinda depressed about this new edition, they obliterated my alarith list (WB gone, save reroll gone, +- cap) and now it seems syar+sentinels spam is the way (more than ever)

I dont really know why they buffed shooting so hard in a already shooting meta

i have to figure out something different, but lumineth listing competitive speaking seems to be more restrictive than ever

Maybe i am calling doomsday but i will be very glad to be wrong

11 hours ago, Athrawes said:

Miscasts are back!

Also mystic shield can now be used to scare off potential charges since its D3 within 3inch rather than just D1.

I also thought the spell lores enhancement must be a typo. Its far too strong for a army of wizards. 

Edited by inflitionz

Man...no army looks as good uniformly painted as Lumineth do. Awesome job @mjay9090.

On less optimistic note, I do agree with @Yondaime that the removal of warscroll battalions and new coherency rules have cemented Wardens and Sentinels as the go-to core of list building, even more so than before. Stoneguard, and to a certain extent Windchargers, just dont feel right outside of their respective temple battalions, to say nothing of their mathematical effectiveness.

I'm very curious to see where Lumineth land with new points...I could see Teclis going WAY up since he's a hero and monster, as well as an increased discrepancy between the normal Spirit of the Mountain and Avalenor, since he's also a hero+monster. I think as a competitive faction Lumineth stand to do very well in the new edition as long as they aren't pointed exorbitantly high.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Man...no army looks as good uniformly painted as Lumineth do. Awesome job @mjay9090.

On less optimistic note, I do agree with @Yondaime that the removal of warscroll battalions and new coherency rules have cemented Wardens and Sentinels as the go-to core of list building, even more so than before. Stoneguard, and to a certain extent Windchargers, just dont feel right outside of their respective temple battalions, to say nothing of their mathematical effectiveness.

I'm very curious to see where Lumineth land with new points...I could see Teclis going WAY up since he's a hero and monster, as well as an increased discrepancy between the normal Spirit of the Mountain and Avalenor, since he's also a hero+monster. I think as a competitive faction Lumineth stand to do very well in the new edition as long as they aren't pointed exorbitantly high.

Though... I might be mistaken, but Ymetrica Stoneguard as Battleline with a hero to give them All-Out Defence as well as the extended use for Avalenor and Mountain Spirits... Could that be good, even without the Alarith Temple Batallion?! 

5 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

Teclis is expected to go up to 760 points like the other characters to stop people taking them in 1500 point games. 

Not a lot comment here about V3. I don't want to go into details about the new rules. There are too much changes and I guess nobody tested it enough.

But on a general first impression : which unit / hero / nation / spell will benefit of the new mechanisms? Which one are downgraded?

I'll try to quickly answer with what I've seen. Feel free to disagree or add :

:(

• Alarith / stoneguard because of the loss of the bataillon
  • Hurakan / windcharger because of the loss of the bataillon
  • Hurakan spirit compared to Sevireth because he is not a hero (Sevi +50 cost was already worth it)
  • Syar (just a bit) because you cannot use anymore the CA twice per phase (so no more 3 aetherquartz)
  • Shrine because it can be destroyed by monsters (we need to be careful when setting it up)
  • Loreseeker because he cannot get 2+ save with reroll if 1 (less survability I presume)

:)

• Every hero/monster obviously. Maybe Teclis cost will be raised like Nagash/Alarielle?
  • Illyatha for their native ability to double CA without paying any CP
  • Sentinels because of the so powerful CA to counter charge

21 hours ago, adboyslim said:

Not a lot comment here about V3. I don't want to go into details about the new rules. There are too much changes and I guess nobody tested it enough.

But on a general first impression : which unit / hero / nation / spell will benefit of the new mechanisms? Which one are downgraded?

I'll try to quickly answer with what I've seen. Feel free to disagree or add :

:(

• Alarith / stoneguard because of the loss of the bataillon
  • Hurakan / windcharger because of the loss of the bataillon
  • Hurakan spirit compared to Sevireth because he is not a hero (Sevi +50 cost was already worth it)
  • Syar (just a bit) because you cannot use anymore the CA twice per phase (so no more 3 aetherquartz)
  • Shrine because it can be destroyed by monsters (we need to be careful when setting it up)
  • Loreseeker because he cannot get 2+ save with reroll if 1 (less survability I presume)

:)

• Every hero/monster obviously. Maybe Teclis cost will be raised like Nagash/Alarielle?
  • Illyatha for their native ability to double CA without paying any CP
  • Sentinels because of the so powerful CA to counter charge

I was looking through the Great Nations with 3.0 in mind after watching some batreps and I was frankly stunned at how good Iliatha seems now. The bravery buff is always decent, but Unity of Purpose (copying a command ability from one Vanari to another within 3") seems incredible with CAs like Redeploy, Rally, and Unleash Hell. Their Strike in Unison CA also has new legs now that rerolling ones are harder to come by.

I've usually been running Zaitrec, but for the first few games of 3.0 I'm definitely going to be trying out Iliatha.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:32 AM, inflitionz said:

Teclis is expected to go up to 760 points like the other characters to stop people taking them in 1500 point games. 

Could be, but Alarielle is 740 points in the Kragnos campaign book and I don't see her going up in points from that (since that price is up 140 points from her previous price). There's a chance you could field Teclis in a 1500 point game still - but if they put him up to 760 he'd be the same price as Kragnos himself.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, Sonnenspeer said:

Our unit champions are casters. In case of a miscast would that mean the D3 damage is only applied to the champion?

I would think so, i.e. dmg should not carry over to the unit as its only the champion who is the wizard

3 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

Wow, that would mean you loose the Wizard and the Scryhawk Lantern ability if your High Sentinel miscasts :(

yeah but its low probability and also you would have a chance to reroll with quartz in many cases

50 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

New points:

Teclis 740

Light of Eltharion 250

Cathallar 145

Lord Regent 155

Avalenor 415

Mountain Spirit 375

Sevireth 345

Wind Spirit 265

Loreseeker 170

Wardens 145