AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

On 11/26/2020 at 4:08 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Crushed my KO opponent by bottom of round 4 without losing a single unit.

My knights were able to sit in terrain capping the middle objectives so I turned it all pitch black. Belakor turned off the Frigate bottom of round 1 so when he won priority into round 2 he gave me the turn. He wasted whole turns of shooting at my general as he had no other targets and failed to cause a single wound. Once he charged me on objectives I just wore him down and counter charged to finish him off. 

Nurgle despoilers with Belakor is such a hard counter to KO I cant recommend it enough. 

Love it when a plan comes together!

I came up with a list for this exact reason. Shooting is really big in my local meta, and Despoilers with Belakor and the Nurgle debuffs are just amazing. i haven't had a chance to play it yet, but glad to hear it worked so well for you!

• Like 2

I have been contemplating picking up the Broken Realm Box and running a fun cavalry focused Idolaters list. I usually play a more infanty focused Ravagers list and I think this has the potential to be a fun and decently priced alternative. I am not overly concerned about competitive viability but would still like some tips on things like the best marks to run, artifacts, unit sizes, spells or any other tips for making this list more fun. I am also curious if this list would just be at all fun to play?

Heroes:
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
Idolator Lord on Chaos Chariot (120)
Units:
3 x Chaos Chariots (360)
3 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (150)
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
6 x Raptoryx (90)
6 x Furies (100)
10 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (220)
Behemoths:
Chaos Warshrine (170)
(2000 pts)

All of the units are at full sized just to make the list more compact but I am fine breaking them down further. The addition of the Chaos Spawn comes from the fact that I built my current chariot's gorebeast as a proxied chaos spawn and plan on doing that with the others. If this goes well maybe I will share my other terrible lists 😅

Edited by Neverchosen

@Neverchosen nice to see the first Idolators list on here. I notice no warcry warbands... 

Its super crucial for chariots and knights (if they have glaives) to get the charge so marking the daemon prince khorne would be a good start, at which point it probably makes sense to take mark of khorne on anything that can (its a combat army afterall). 

As for artifacts, you obviously dont get any with Idolators so the realm of fire's weapon is probably the best artifact choice for either the daemon prince or chariot lord.

I'm not familiar with Idolators command traits however I think there is one that lets the general pray twice so thats probably the best bet for the Chariot Hero. 

Mask of Darkness is always a fun spell for your sorcerer, especially if the unit is rerolling charges via the warshrine's prayer. 

I would probably run the chariots as individual units as the mortal wounds on the charge is per unit, not per model. 

Some say 10 knights are unwieldy and hard to fit all in combat (glaives help) but you can stack buffs on them so its fine either way. 

Spawn are probably best as individual road blocks rather a unit of 3, similar story to marauder horsemen (+1 to hit is nice as a unit of 10 but how much damage are they really going to do anyway?). 

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

Had yesterday a great 2k game against a Troggoth-List. I played a ravagers list with a CL,CLoM,CSL as heroes, 30 Warriors with double handweapons, 10 Chosen, a Shrine and some Knights and a unit of Marauder Horseman. All Marked Nurgle and in the Plaguesworn Battalion. My opponent hat 2x3 Fellwater and 2x3 Rockgut Troggoth, a Trogg Hag, Mollog, a Dankhold and a Dankhold-Boss, a Fungoid Cave Shaman and two Endless Spells. We played on a 48"48 board with some scattered Graveyard terrain including terrain rules for all bigger pieces like statues and crypts. Unfortunaly I forgott to make any pictures. We played the Falling Stars Mission with 2 Objectives that drop at Turn 2, one in each territory. We decided to reduce the ammount of objectives dropplaces from 3 to 2 per territory as we played on 48"x48" and not 64"x48". I got to start due to having only 2 Drops with the list.

Turn 1 I moved quite aggresively into the middle of the board to get out of the -2"-movement-bubble from the terrain piece. Also I wanted to move the Warriors as far as possible and position my CL on the Heroic Terrain for the bonus CP. The initial General was the CSL, who also had the "use a CA from the core rules for free"-Trait. My CLoM was placed by a terrain piece that granted some unbinds. Troggoths moved carefully forward, then he attempted to cast the big shrrom endless spell. I was able to unbind the first attempt with the CLoM, but then he recasted it with another wizzard with a casting roll of 12. The shroom was placed in my face, killed 3-4 Warriors and 1 Chosen and then remained there till the end of the game.

Turn 2 I got the initiative again. The objective dropped right under my Warrior unit. The nasty Shroom-nuke-thing annihilated 3 more warriors and 2 chosen. Ouch. I concidered moving back, but instead decided on full offensive. I was able to spawn 10 Marauders behind my opponent to try to take his Fungoid caveshaman down. I charged the hag and some fellwater Troggoth with the warriors, charged a dankgold with the remaining chosen, and repositioned my marauder horseriders as screen on the right side. With the CL CA I was able to kill the Dankhold with two activations. I repositioned a lot of stuff like Knights and Lord on Manticore. Remarkable roll: Fellwater Troggoth got activated, got 4 Wound rolls of six which would deal 12 Damage due to the Troggoth-Battalion. I save all of them. Meanwhile due to the Plaguetouched-Battalion one Fellwater-Troggoth dies. I score my point with the CSL. On troggoth Turn the Chosen get eradicated, as well as the marauder horsemen. His Shaman died in combat but was able to put the moon-endless-spell on the board. His objective spawned btw diagonally to mine. VP 2 : 2

Turn 3 I got the initiative again. Things went downhill this turn: I fail all spells and prayers, don´t do any really damage to the hag. The my Manticore-Lord spawned 10 more marauders and left them in the corner close to his VP. I charged into the Rockgut unit and killed them with the CLoM. On his turn the other unit of rockguts moved forward, the hag was able to put her curse on the warriors. He repositioned his Dankhold Trogboss to hold the objective and also put mollog and fellwater troggs on his objective. The hag killed more and more warriors.  VP 5:5

Turn 4  went better, althrough I missed the spells again. I spawned a second unit of marauders close to his VP, the CL was able to charge the Hag. Manticorelord and Knights pushed closer to his objective, the marauder charged mollog in a way that allowed me to get the objective without pulling the Troggboss. The CL killed the hag and ascended to deamonhood, thanks to the "Add or substract 2 from the Eye-Table" Trait! Other than that, one unit of Marauders was wiped out, but the other managed to secure the Objective! On his turn he took back the objective and pushed further with the remaining rockguts, coming closer and closer to my objective. He also used the Loonshrine that didn´t do much until now, and respawened 2 Rockguts  in the middle of the board. VP 13:9 for Slaves.

Turn 5 I got once again the Initiative roll. The dark Gods blessed me with a game without nasty double turns. In fact, at any turn a double turn could flip the whole balance quite easy, so not having any of them was really in my favor. I moved the CLoM and DP back and charged the Rockguts to prevent them from taking my objective and winning the game. I annihilated the newly spawned ones, the others were so far away I couldn´t charge them and din´t recognize them as a threat to the objective. Troggoth surrendered at the beginning of his turn, as he didn´t saw a chance how to get the objectives. Score: 18:14 for StD. After calling the game, I insisted of looking what could be minmaxed out of his rockgut-movement and if there was a chance of turning the tides. In fact, by moving the Troggoth in a certain distance and by having a good charge, he could get the objective, as he needed only one model in range as the endless spell moon killed my CSL from the objective the turn before.  We rolled the hypothethical charge for a 12, positioned the rockguts and...this could have change the outcome of the game into 18:19.

All in all a fun game. 30 Warriors with 2 Hand Weapons and Mark of Nurgle + Aura didn´t shine as much as I hoped, but I was really really happy with the output of Chosen. During the game I had tons of saved wounds from the Warshrine, with multiple rolls of 3-4 sixes. Meanwhile my opponent had lucky rolls for W3 Damage values, dealing most of the time 3 Damage from the W3 sources. The game was fun, althrough I have to admit that I dislike Ravagers for beeing too complex. Keeping track of ranges, auras and stuff, beeing highly dependend on CP...well, it´s fun but exhaustive. The next lists will be 2-4 DP Despoilers again I guess. Plaguetouched Battalion worked quite well btw, but in general didn´t do much more than 10 MW´s over the course of the game.

Short question: When I spawn MArauders, can I decide for a Mark of Chaos? Couldn´t find the correct solution for that.

Thanks so much @Agent of Chaos,

Luckily my knights are already built as two separate units. I will be picking up the extra 3 chariots and the marauder horsemen so I had no clue how best to run them. I also was unsure of how best to run spawn I have proxied one with a gore beast and intend to do the same with the other sets. So thank you for clarifying for me.  I assume that javelins are still the best equipment for Marauder Horsemen and to use them as a quick harasser  unit? 

I really like the Khorne idea: I was initially thinking of going with the mark of Slannesh to get the re-rolls to run and charge, but the Khorne prince counter charge is much more fun and honestly trolly so I am very up for that strategy! 😄

It is funny I do run warcry warbands as my summons for Ravagers as I just happen to have some kicking around (so I know first hand that I don't want to put points into them 😛). But in this case I wanted to make a list dedicated to cavalry/monsters/demons.

Maybe I will post the mess of a list I have been currently running some day soon. But my goal is to expand my army in slight ways to run each of the main damned legions with a different associated mark. I am currently working on a despoilers list (which oddly will contain my Warcry warbands for sacrificial purposes). 

Edited by Neverchosen

Hi Guys,
I've only read along for many months now. But now with the Broken Realm book, I have a couple of questions.
I bought the Rokar Gresh box and now I want to build an Idolator army.
First of all, do I see it correctly: The Warshrine becomes a hero with the Idolators and can be used as a general?
(He also counts as an Idolators priest and can choose a command trait?)

Since the Idolators have no artifacts, can I only buy the Realm Artifacts? That would be stupid with Gresh's Iron Reapers Battalion.
What would your hero choices look like on an Idolator list?

regards
René
Edited by FunTreeCake

Who has a neat Despoilers army list to make the land work for us?  I saw a post where it paid off vs KO using Nurgle Marks somehow, but couldn't find an army list in the search engine.  Seems like we'd need at least 2 Daemon Princes, or maybe 3?  And then would any Fomoroid Crushers be good to put additional danger to the terrain?  Guess it depends on how much terrain is on the table though.

For battleline, not sure what works well with Despoilers.  Perhaps a mixed variety for different tools?  Or are Marauders king of the StD battleline?  

Seems like they are a very tricksy army actually.  I have 2 Sphiranxes already, and a Khorne Daemon Prince.  They have allied with my Beasts of Chaos before for good times.  Would be cool to have an army that plays very differently to others.  

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Who has a neat Despoilers army list to make the land work for us?  I saw a post where it paid off vs KO using Nurgle Marks somehow, but couldn't find an army list in the search engine.  Seems like we'd need at least 2 Daemon Princes, or maybe 3?  And then would any Fomoroid Crushers be good to put additional danger to the terrain?  Guess it depends on how much terrain is on the table though.

For battleline, not sure what works well with Despoilers.  Perhaps a mixed variety for different tools?  Or are Marauders king of the StD battleline?  

Seems like they are a very tricksy army actually.  I have 2 Sphiranxes already, and a Khorne Daemon Prince.  They have allied with my Beasts of Chaos before for good times.  Would be cool to have an army that plays very differently to others.  

There's a few ways to play dispoilers, the Nurgle list you mentioned was jut using one Daemon Prince if I recall, so just using despoilers for the 18" general range on the marks, minor ranged protection and for access to the great artefacts.    If you want to go heavily into Daemon Princes, I think it's got to be Khorne with an allied Blood Secretor or they just aren't killy enough to base an army around.  You could also do a non-hero monster heavy list with Soul Grinders, Ogrinoids, Slaughterbrutes etc..  Would look cool but the healing isn't great and neither are the units. 

• Thanks 1

It depends all on your playstyle. 5 Warriors for 90 pts are great objective holders, but rather slowish. Marauders are versatile and can be fast on the charge. Knights are durable and fast as well, which works fine if you want to go for some objectives under the controll of your opponent. Similar for Chariots. I run a ruinbringer Battalion in my Despoilers lists for usual. Marauder Horseman are fast chaff or can be left to babysit an objective. Similar for the chariot. 2-3 DP´s with some monsters and a Sorcerer on Manticore are a great hammer, so Knights can be used to bind stuff (or mow somethng down from an objective with Glaives + Buffs)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FunTreeCake said:

Hi Guys,
I've only read along for many months now. But now with the Broken Realm book, I have a couple of questions.
I bought the Rokar Gresh box and now I want to build an Idolator army.
First of all, do I see it correctly: The Warshrine becomes a hero with the Idolators and can be used as a general?
(He also counts as an Idolators priest and can choose a command trait?)

Since the Idolators have no artifacts, can I only buy the Realm Artifacts? That would be stupid with Gresh's Iron Reapers Battalion.
What would your hero choices look like on an Idolator list?

regards
René

The Warshrine does not become a Hero.

In my mind, (granted not with experience doing it), the best way to run Idolators would be to play a Ruinbringer Warband, as your Chariots can fit in, and one of them becomes another Hero.

You'll need to go with realm artifacts too, so unfortunately you'll have 1 spare.

13 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think Belakor is a must in a Despoilers list, personally. He's just so freaking good, and since he's a Daemon Prince, he gets all the benefits of the subfaction.

• Like 2

How much better is the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak over the Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount?  I'm looking at two versions of a 1k list for Ruinbringer Battalion.  If I bring the Karkadrak Lord I can only fit 2 knights and 2 chariots.  If I go with Daemonic Mount Lord, I can fit a third chariot.

1 hour ago, Archion89 said:

How much better is the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak over the Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount?  I'm looking at two versions of a 1k list for Ruinbringer Battalion.  If I bring the Karkadrak Lord I can only fit 2 knights and 2 chariots.  If I go with Daemonic Mount Lord, I can fit a third chariot.

Back when the Karkadrak had access to -3 rend on his axe, it was an easy choice, but now I think it's apt to say you can go either. They both fill the same role.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dankboss said:

Back when the Karkadrak had access to -3 rend on his axe, it was an easy choice, but now I think it's apt to say you can go either. They both fill the same role.

So the Karkadrak isn't any more "killy" than the CLoM, and I may be better served with an extra unit on the field.  I just feel like the CLoM seems less "tanky" though.

Edited by Archion89

1 hour ago, Archion89 said:

So the Karkadrak isn't any more "killy" than the CLoM, and I may be better served with an extra unit on the field.  I just feel like the CLoM seems less "tanky" though.

The Karkadrak is still a bit more dangerous and tough, but it's a 60 point difference. I would probably take the chariot, all things considered.

1 hour ago, FunTreeCake said:

Oh you are right. But he becomes a leader. So he can be the General (Without the Aura and the Commandabilities)

I have 6 Chariots. How World you use or build them?

I would run at most 3, personally, maybe 4 depending on how you use your Chariot Lord. The horse chariot is better due to its speed, which is what makes it useful as a pinning tool to hold things down for your Chaos Knights. The impact hits are also better from my experience; In Ruinbringer Warband they can quite easily do 4-5 mortal wounds on the charge, which is really good against elite armies and monsters. Make them Slaanesh and they can be rerolling their charges for free with the general nearby, so you can fish for a better roll if need be. You could make your Chariot Lord a Gorebeast for the extra wound, as he won't be in the thick of it as much, so doesn't need to be as fast.

I think the usefulness of the Idolator prayers is that you have the flexibility to not take the Warshrine if you don't want to.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:49 AM, Charleston said:

he attempted to cast the big shrrom endless spell. I was able to unbind the first attempt with the CLoM, but then he recasted it with another wizzard with a casting roll of 12. The shroom was placed in my face, killed 3-4 Warriors and 1 Chosen and then remained there till the end of the game.

Short question: When I spawn MArauders, can I decide for a Mark of Chaos? Couldn´t find the correct solution for that.

Sounds like a fun game but something stood out to me. A spell or endless spell can only me attempted once per turn. If it fails or is unbound it cant be recast that turn.

To answer your question:

The marauder warscroll says they must have a mark when selected.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! That slipped by. We actually reread the rules on this, but only found the "Each Wizzard may attempt to cast a single ES each turn" and we both forgott about the "No Spell may be attempted twice" Rule!

As for the Marauders, also thanks! I wasn´t sure as the german wording sounds much like "Choose when building your army only", leaving "adding models during the game" quite open ended

1 hour ago, CeleFAZE said:

Is there a good way to run a mono-Slaanesh S2D army? With the new releases impending for Slaanesh mortals I'm looking at ways to still utilize my current slaves mortals, as I'm not sure they'll really still have a solid place in that allegiance.

Slaanesh lends itself to cavalry builds thanks to free charge rerolls and exploding hits for the knights.

8 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Slaanesh lends itself to cavalry builds thanks to free charge rerolls and exploding hits for the knights.

Are lances a decent choice for this? It seems like exploding hits and rerolls on basically everything when buffed would lend itself to a pretty devastating charge.