Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

21 hours ago, Jator said:

ToW keeps on giving:

https://www.beastsofwar.com/role-playing-games/cubicle-7-announce-warhammer-the-old-world-roleplaying-game/

Not sure why are they doing a new RPG instead of just a book for WFRPG. Maybe they want to try new mechanics? Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this.

My guess is one of two things: (i) WFRP is based on a pretty old and clunky system, with even 4th edition feeling slow compared to more modern games, so they are taking the opportunity that TOW provides to try to design something new*; or (ii) they're going with a change in power level i.e. this will be a less low powered game with you starting out as true heroes rather than rat catchers.

Either way I'm looking forward to it.

*Ultimately any source books for TOW should work fine with WFRP rules anyway, so it's not a huge issue.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Another anecdotal data point: back in the early 2000s, at my local GW store (Leicester) there were people playing pretty much every faction (even a masochistic Dark Elf player when they were truly terrible) except Empire. Bretonnia probably got a boost from being a new release around that time with, at the time, arguably the best plastic sculpts yet (though I never personally liked them)

Agreed. It's genuinely an excellent game. Shane it's not more popular, though it does have a decent community.

I was a staff member at your local GW store in the early 2000’s (2003-2006-ish) and  I was playing Empire 🤣

20 minutes ago, The ape said:

I was a staff member at your local GW store in the early 2000’s (2003-2006-ish) and  I was playing Empire 🤣

Huh! Well that shows me 😆. That pretty much overlaps my time there exactly. I honestly don't remember anyone playing them.

Edited by JerekKruger

Man, I'm LIVING with the anticipation for the pdfs. In a matter of hours we'll know. Either I'm wrong and the world remains a better place, or I'm right and some idiot destroys his 10.000 points dark elf army again.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Man, I'm LIVING with the anticipation for the pdfs. In a matter of hours we'll know. Either I'm wrong and the world remains a better place, or I'm right and some idiot destroys his 10.000 points dark elf army again.

i saw that video some times. and still dont believe it,,., must be a photoshoped thing or something, noone can be so.......

Just in case you are like that me purchase something from GW and just store it, sometimes without even opening it, and you bought some TOW boxes, I would recommend you to check the sprues just in case:

image.png.2da892525fa10042effe516b82d3324a.png

image.png.58cc06e4e3a8c59c35c18ef5a1fab9ec.png

Seems some Bretonian sprues have a problem with the horse's heads.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, sandlemad said:

Oof, that’s unfortunate… and tbh gross and difficult to look at. Are you going to bring it back for a refund? Pretty clear casting error there.

Is not mine (my 3rd party store couldn't get me a copy :( I am waiting for the restock). Someone shared it to me. It is from two different users. I thought it was worth the warning in case it was a widespread issue.

12 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Oof, that’s unfortunate… and tbh gross and difficult to look at. Are you going to bring it back for a refund? Pretty clear casting error there.

Btw, out of curiosity. What's the procedure in a case like that? You send the whole box back and you "lose it"? Considering that the box is out of stock. Or do you contact them and they send you back the damaged sprue?

I only had problems with Salvat's magazine (Spanish Hachette filial) and whenever something is wrong or missing they send the whole issue to you.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, out of curiosity. What's the procedure in a case like that? You send the whole box back and you "lose it"? Considering that the box is out of stock. Or do you contact them and they send you back the damaged sprue?

I only had problems with Salvat's magazine (Spanish Hachette filial) and whenever something is wrong or missing they send the whole issue to you.

i have had some cases where my battleforce or start collecting had one unit missing,they just sent me the unit missing.

also many times i got some bits brokens and when i asked for a change i had diferent results(all this is from shops non gw ofitial,i never buy from ofitial gw): the 80% of the times they just send me one new unit and i keep the old damaged but some weird ocasions they ask that i give the damaged unit back.

i know is a bit stupid ask for a new unit only for damaged bits,but after ser how others companys as tamiya or bandai use plastic box with each matriz to keep them safe.......i just dont acept anymore pay a overcosted money from gw and get a new product with damaged parts when i payed the full amount.

per example i got black knigths with the tail broken,blood knigths with the wing of the captain broken,khinerais with wings or even one tail broken,and my brother got many lumineths with arrows broken or even lances. all these from 100% new boxes from stores

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Contact GW and they'll sort it. In this case my guess would be they'll send new sprues. There might be a bit of a wait but they are good with replacing miscast, usually sending the whole model and letting you keep the damaged one. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Just in case you are like that me purchase something from GW and just store it, sometimes without even opening it, and you bought some TOW boxes, I would recommend you to check the sprues just in case:

image.png.2da892525fa10042effe516b82d3324a.png

image.png.58cc06e4e3a8c59c35c18ef5a1fab9ec.png

Seems some Bretonian sprues have a problem with the horse's heads.

How peculiar. I didn’t read it at first And thought it was another part of the horse…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I've had missing sprues and parts several times now.
You contact them with images and they'll often even send you an entirely new box as compensation. :) (that was the case with the start collecting boxes)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

this part at the end genuinely made me laugh : "the rules are intended for people who already have armies in their collection"

Considering that you can right now buy most of these armies from the actual GW store, as opposed to (most of) the "core" ones

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I guess Rob was right. It is Monday and they are now out :D

Definitely need to give the Skaven one a read. I have a battleforce box from a year or two ago that is waiting to be a Skaven force, although from a skim I don't see Stormfiends, so those may end up in some AoS Skaven later.

After a quick skim (so, hot take, pinch of salt and all that) they look a really developed product, some of them (Daemons) are in fact longer in sheer number of pages than army lists in Forces of Fantasy/Ravening Hordes. It surely doesn't feel like a "legended" situation -of course, only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

After a quick skim (so, hot take, pinch of salt and all that) they look a really developed product, some of them (Daemons) are in fact longer in sheer number of pages than army lists in Forces of Fantasy/Ravening Hordes. It surely doesn't feel like a "legended" situation -of course, only time will tell.

The main difference to me is that it doesn't look so polished because of the lack of illustrations and miniature pics, but apart from that it is looking indeed pretty solid.

Some things I noticed from my quick glances:

*Spoilpox Scriveners, Infernal Enrapturess and Sloppity Bilepipers are upgrades you can buy for Daemonic Heralds.

*No Verminlord for Skaven.

*No K'daai Destroyers for Chaos Dwarfs but they get Black Orcs and Hobgoblin Sneaky Gitz (which IIRC they only had in 4th edition).

*Why do Ogres only get two spells for their lore when Chaos Dwarfs get 3? 

• Thanks 1

Well, I'll be damned, this indeed has a lot of work behind, and the specific lores are still there.

The rules contained within this document allow players the opportunity to try out the
Warhammer: The Old World rules using models they may have in their collection.
They are not intended for use in matched play events and will not be updated in line with any
future Warhammer: the Old World publications.

Yeap, this is easily still the worst bit of the pdfs. Hope the game doesn't get any updates at all nor gw tournaments in the near future.

Seems like they've tried hardest they could to nerf the skaven armylist:

-No slaves (as suspected from the base sizes list they posted)

-Stormvermins on 10 points (¿¿¿¿¿????)

-Only one Great Clan character per 1000 points

-Only one Great Clan Spetial/rare unit per 1000 points

-No Verminlords, which is shilly and stupid, but ok

-Nightrunners core, if you like playing with monkeys

-Inherits the limits from 6th ed, with some of the shenanigans from 7th

-Puting together weapon teams seem more interesting than ever, as long as you can keep them close to their mothers

-Jezzails lookin spicy as ever

-Glad that the most iconic skaven spell are still there. Yeah, no 13th spell, dont worry

-Big nerf to warpstone tokens, but a funny one.

-Skalm is sexy

-Some classics on the magic objects list, some from 6th ed

-They tried to nerf hellpits and plague furnaces, whitout big success

-Personalized misfire tables are back! Only one, but aguably the most important one

-None of the mounts from 7th whitout mini are featured here. So sorry for everyone that made their warlords on rat ogres...

-Plague  censer bearers suck ass. Probably the worst unit in the whole list

-Horde rule for rat ogres?

-Nerf on rat giants, limiting them to 10 min. alltho, now they dont need a packmaster. So, guess what's the next funny thing all skaven players are going to do...

The best strategic knucleheads will think on the best combos, as I never was too much of a tactician, but it seems like this list allows for very fun and crazy combos, as long as you focus the list on a single clan. So, fortunately I was wrong and it doesn't seem like the pdf has come dead on arrival. But will probably get dated if GW starts updating rules.

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 3