Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

54 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Another Monday, another (The) Old World preview. This time it's covering army construction.

Note Mercenaries specifically being called out. 

I don't think we've seen any Squire units yet either have we? Sergeant-at-Arms as Characters are also new.

Sergeant-at-arms are definitely new but I think the squires are the old foot skirmisher-archers. These dudes : 

image.jpeg.c4ac1586c965fb8c347589b3a743a9df.jpeg

Their background shifted around from edition to edition (as did the background for the mounted yeomen), sometimes they were higher peasants, sometimes they were squires. Depended on how strict that edition was re: knights and bows, and how it viewed the progression from squire to knight errant to knight of the realm.

The mercenaries are an interesting addition as I think in 6th ed Bretonnia were one of the only armies in the game, alongside daemons, who couldn’t take units from the Dogs of War list. Too dang honourable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LordSolarMach said:

The rumours about Mummies came with other now debunked stuff (plastic Chariot with Tomb King, instead of the dragon).

The speculation about Mummies was (in part) because of the Flail previewed, similar to the one old Mummy model, which we now know is an option in the Bone Dragon kit.

There could still be a plastic Mummies unit (even though that's kind of what Tomb Guard are supposed to be). The general desire I see for Mummies is that they would be bigger than Tomb Guard, but I think I'd prefer plastic Ushabti in that case. (I don't think there will be plastic Ushabti, I'm just saying that I'd prefer them.)

//

The weapons preview does still have some mystery to it. Mostly all the bugs (which don't seem to be a part of the Bone Dragon kit), but also the Khopesh and... Halberd. I had previously pointed out that they share a wrist connection (in the same way that the Spear and Flail share one, which turned out to be for the same Tomb King arm). 

I guess the Tomb King could have a second right arm (in a more natural pose) that these are for, but that still leaves all the bugs unaccounted for.

image.png.f48f6553bf9f96818aeb26fdba5a1d9b.png

I agree the mummies rumour comes partially from the flail, but there's also a big point that is valid still. Knights on foot were an old retired unit. Mummies is the equivalent to that for TK.

12 minutes ago, Sathrut said:

Someone on dakkadakka said "off-white kind of implies bone, so looks like more skellies", which I missed, but it makes sense.

I'm very curious now as to what the new plastic unit is going to be, if not mummies as rumoured.

There's not much more "off white" than mummies wrapped in old bandages.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I agree the mummies rumour comes partially from the flail, but there's also a big point that is valid still. Knights on foot were an old retired unit. Mummies is the equivalent to that for TK.

Tomb Guard are Mummies, as are the (non-liche) characters. (It's why they're Flammable.)

Where do Mummies fit, rules wise, around Tomb Guard? Bigger and tougher... isn't that Ushabti? And why would a unit of Mummies (as, presumably humans) be physically bigger than Tomb Guard? (Who were "the best of the best", and honoured with mummification.) Were these Mummies more important, or better preserved... isn't that what the characters are?

(I was going to mention Blood Bowl style Mummies, but upon double checking the rules I was reminded that while the "Mummy" is a big guy for Undead, in the Khemri roster they have "Tomb Guardians" instead. Heh.)

Which is not to say that such a thing won't happen. But they're not a lock. 

Edited by LordSolarMach

I really love the Bretonnian Grand Army Composition. I have a feeling those Army of Infamy lists will grow with each campaign book.

This new edition is looking with each preview better and better. It's a mix of Warhammer fantasy and historical rulesets. Love it!

Am I the only that that have Horus Heresy bibes from this new article?

I mean, I know it's all about Warhammer Fantasy, but all this Special Rules, with minor interactions between them has exactly the same Age of Darkness feeling (Stubborn+Shield Wall)

Edited by Beliman
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sception said:

If there were another tomb kings plastic kit coming, I think it would be in the army box.  IMO the dragon is the only new plastic kit the tomb kings will get, and anything else new will be individual resin heroes.

If we are trusting Valrak's rumours about the box contents, than we know that the Foot Knights won't be in that box.

I'm now speculating that we might still get other plastic stuff for the TK, but it won't be featured in the army box.

• Like 1

Im gonna guess its a bombard. From the border princes :D

Before they firmed up the Bretonnian fluff so all the human armies were essentially reskins they had a whole bunch of era appropriate warmachines including a cannon, seems they are already calling back to that era with the foot knights so it makes sense to bring back some more units they previous despised ;)

I guess they're intended to be allies or mercs or whatever but I would love to be able to play as some hapless no-name, soon-to-be-forcibly-confederated Border Princes faction. It'd be a good thematic first amy to play while I'm getting completely tabled in loads of 500pt slow grow leagues or whatever

When it became apparent that Brets vs TKs was the direction for the relaunch, I kind of rolled my eyes and thought it was almost a bit of a deliberate monkeys paw spiteful thing by GW, like "you bugged us by going on about this, so here's the game back with a load of the old models you never bought, you must be delighted huh". But the quality of pretty much all of the new Bretonnia stuff has me really tempted, and I'm gonna have to hold off knowing that I'll probably never finish the army if Dwarves/Greenskins/Empire/High Elves pop up with similar stuff. Will probably at least buy one of the damsels and some of those foot knights even if just to use in dungeon crawler games or whatever

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

I guess they're intended to be allies or mercs or whatever but I would love to be able to play as some hapless no-name, soon-to-be-forcibly-confederated Border Princes faction. It'd be a good thematic first amy to play while I'm getting completely tabled in loads of 500pt slow grow leagues or whatever

When it became apparent that Brets vs TKs was the direction for the relaunch, I kind of rolled my eyes and thought it was almost a bit of a deliberate monkeys paw spiteful thing by GW, like "you bugged us by going on about this, so here's the game back with a load of the old models you never bought, you must be delighted huh". But the quality of pretty much all of the new Bretonnia stuff has me really tempted, and I'm gonna have to hold off knowing that I'll probably never finish the army if Dwarves/Greenskins/Empire/High Elves pop up with similar stuff. Will probably at least buy one of the damsels and some of those foot knights even if just to use in dungeon crawler games or whatever

Never forget they show us a bit of the map where basically we could play our own realms. I think this bit could be related with this.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

I wonder if they might bring back the dwarf juggernaught for the centrepiece plastic kit! I think there were rumours of one being designed in CAD before the End Times hit...

• Like 2

You could always play almost any army as a Border Princes kingdom, the area is pretty much designed to be a melting pot for exactly that reason :D

The Dwarf tank was past being designed and well into the hands of the army painter team to be painted when it got shelved so good odds we might see it as their new kit...

5 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

The Dwarf tank was past being designed and well into the hands of the army painter team to be painted when it got shelved so good odds we might see it as their new kit...

Whoa. Any further details on this out there? I recall photos of the ancient metal one, like a proto-Marienberg land ship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

You could always play almost any army as a Border Princes kingdom, the area is pretty much designed to be a melting pot for exactly that reason :D

I'm sad this forum doesn't have a SAY WHAT emoji for this specific post. Please do tell more

51 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Whoa. Any further details on this out there? I recall photos of the ancient metal one, like a proto-Marienberg land ship.

Its different to the dwarf land ship, much more modern and i presume intended to be plastic? Like 8th edition era. Funnily enough selling one of those old Landships is what put me off selling to old hammerers though :/  

48 minutes ago, KingKull said:

I'm sad this forum doesn't have a SAY WHAT emoji for this specific post. Please do tell more

Peachy has spoken about it on the Painting phase a couple of times, i think in his interviews early on? But its his go to example for things getting cancelled fairly late in development, something like word on high just vetoed the whole concept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That’s wild but can believe it, there can be shockingly late twists. James Hewitt, I think, had one about how the 40k imperial knight kit was nearly vetoed by Alan Merrett effectively after development on the cusp of production, because he thought it would never sell. The whim of someone high up can matter a lot. 

Real shame though, dwarves seem to get it in the neck. Like the cancelled “broken mould” dwarf lord kit. I don’t actually think it would have been great looking based on the sprue pics, certainly not compared to the brilliant metal heroes, but still.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I've read somewhere that the 3rd Battle of Blacfire Pass was already written and most of the units sculpted and ready to go (some of them were sold a few months later but never linked to the supplement book):

Spoiler

Blackfire.jpg

I'm curious if we are going to see some of the non-released material made for that book. The rumors say that the mighty Thunderbarge (Dwarf zepelin) was done:

Spoiler

7b87wu0b3gux.jpg

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1